Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So Let Me Get This Right ...

Ambiroa

Question

When I don't buy any Platinum, I am stuck with Volt, and the bow and arrow? I chose this frame at the start, on the assumption that I can play with all three of them, and only need to buy Platinum to buy the other more advanced frames.

I started this game today, and although the first experiences are fairly positive, it feels a bit repetitive already due to only having one frame, with a primary that I don't use. I like close quarter combat so I use the sword all the time, and only shoot an arrow like a sniper.

Please tell me this free game offers a bit more diversity than just that one frame, without the need to spend money already.

16 answers to this question

You don't have to spend plat to get new Warframes or weapons.

How far along are you?

You have 20 some Warframes, half a dozen Sentinels and 5 space doges to choose from, as well as hundreds of weapons to play with.

Right now, the quests and mission types are limited but with the right team you can have a blast on your 300th run.

As far as obtaining new Warframes, without spending any plat for the 'frame, go to the Market Place and purchase the blueprint for credits, then hit the wiki for where the Warframe parts drops (Chassis, Helm and Systems)

You can do the same for weapons, but you don't have to farm for their parts. Just need the resources to start building them in your Foundry.

Sadly, you will have to spend plat to get more slots for your Warframes, Weapons and companions.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Warframes

EDIT:

Feel free to add me in game.  I play odd hours on the weekends. 

Edited by Noamuth

You don't have to spend plat to get new Warframes or weapons. 

What this guy said.

There is a secondary currency called "credits" that you can spend to buy the blueprints and craft them(note: crafting will require resources, some of which only drop of certain bosses such as warframe parts).

Credits are rewarded for completing missions and alerts.

If you want more info on what you have available to you at your current mastery rank, check out the warframe wiki, look up "foundry" and "mastery".

also I would recommend looking up "damage 2.0" as well

Edited by RIOTx

Ayy lmao that's a noobish thought but hey hey don't blame ya, Warframe however is big on the term FREE the majority of frames can be farmed from bosses btw and once you have all the pieces (helmet, systems, chassis.) You can buy the frame's bp in the market and start crafting with the resources you have

Some frames however are obtainable from quests. however but that's another thing (also FREE btw) and the currency that you pay for is commonly obtained through trading so even those mega rare shiny cosmetics you don't necessarily have to pay for. Honestly if you need help just join a clan, it really does help and if you want to join my clan message either Pckool12 or supermanpopcorn and hope one of em's on, also tell em Zen sent ya

you need platinum to get extra slots for weapons and frames, but you should have started with a little of it free. Beyond that almost everything is available to grind out easily. Generally for warframes what you'll want to do is go to the wiki ( http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki ) and find out what boss drops the part for the frame you want. Then you go fight that boss until you get the parts and build them in the foundry.

Speaking of the wiki. Keep that link handy. It's going to help you every day in warframe. Treat it as your scouts manual, any time you're unsure of something, look for it on the wiki and it'll probably have your answers readily available.

Alright - So you need to gain new Warframe and weapon slots which can only be acquired with platinum. BUT! 2 weapon slots is 12 platinum and 1 Warframe slot is 20 platinum.

You can aquire platinum without spending real world money on it. Trade Prime parts from the void with other players for platinum. Or sell fusion cores, or farm syndicate reputation to sell Syndicate weapons and mods. Hell, now that PVP mods are becoming usable in PVE, you could make platinum off of playing against other players!

So yes - this game is very diverse and very much so free. Did you ever play Runescape? Well, remember how when you first started, you were pretty much limited to killing chickens and goblins, and you basically had to train your way up? Well, Warframe is like that as well. Start small, and expand your way outwards. All that platinum does is it provides a platform for you to essentially 'skip' the grind. Platinum is by no means required at all when acquiring new Warframes and weapons, with the exception of the slots.

It is worthwhile to mention that slots are permenant. Meaning if you buy a slot and sell the weapon that you filled the slot with, the slot will remain and you will not have to rebuy it.

12 platinum is 12 gold fusion cores. 12 gold fusion cores can be acquired pretty rapidly, like 10 minutes tops, once you know the location and have the stuff needed for it (Triton, Neptune). But in the meantime, those broken mods you get (the one with cracked screens), are actually collectors mods, as they can only ever be acquired by new players. So sell those broken suckers off for 50 platinum.

You'll have the OPTION to buy plat. you can get plat by getting lucky on login awards, winning contests, getting picked for a plat prize, or trading.

I recommend trading and contests because they don't rely on chance. contests you just have to get creative. for trading, you really need a hard to find mod or a prime warframe/weapon part.

here's all you need to know about trading. 

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Trade_System

and here's a link to a list of prices to use to determine costs of items.

http://wftrading.net/

welcome to warframe, and have fun slicing through everyone.

WOW! Thank you so much guys, this went fast. I don't have much experience with games where there is so much to think about (market, mods, weapons, primary, secondary, fusion, polarize, pet animals, bacon, milk, etc etc), there is so much what you can do, but the tutorials/training didn't really made it clear whether all those things need money being spent or not. Might also be partially related that the UI to me is a bit busy ;)

Will bookmark this page and follow your mentioned instructions. Again, thank you. :D

Great! I really hope you enjoy your time with the game. And don't forget that if you can't figure something out, posting a topic here like you just did will almost always give prompt and helpful answers. So if you can't figure something out, no matter how silly the question might seem, don't hesitate to ask other players about it. Relays are also cool places to ask questions though I personally prefer the forums.