Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How's Fallout 4?

TheKingOfAllNoobs

I heard it was super hyped, I checked out everything about it, looks amazing, all the features look super exciting...

But I don't have money to buy it. So I'm drowning myself in modded Skyrim and Hearthfire to block out my depression.

So while I'm saving up, I wanted to hear your opinion.

How's Fallout 4 for you guys? What is the gameplay like? How are the graphics? Enjoyability?

Final verdict? On a scale of ten?

Well, from what I've heard, like Skyrim:

A large world, with free exploration and something interesting behind every corner. Aside from that, it doesn't do anything particularly amazing, but it doesn't do anything wrong. The combat isn't that great, but that's not why you play these games anyway.

And the bugs, the glorious bugs.

And the mods, the glorious mods.

And the dog, the glorious dog.

And the fog, the glorious fog.

Edited by Kthal

I'm truly not trying to exaggerate, but thus far it has been one of the most immersive and engaging RPGs I've ever played.

I'll break it down:

Graphics: 9

Music: 10 

Story: 8 (so far)

Gameplay: 10 (massive improvement over previous installments in the series)

I'm a major fanboy, I'll admit it. But I know that this game is objectively very good. There are some features that have been taken out from previous games such as Hardcore Mode from New Vegas and the fact that your weapons don't degrade, but all in all it's got everything you could want in a Fallout game and so much more. The character development for many of the NPCs is spot on. The animations are well done, if a bit glitchy at times. The cinematic, choice driven dialogue sequences are nice and reminiscent of Mass Effect. The atmosphere and locales all feel very detailed and believable. The story is engaging is well delivered, which is nice compared to the somewhat rushed stories of the past two installments. New additions to the series like the new perk system, weapon/armor modding system, and the workshop mode (which allows you to scrap and build whatever you like within your sanctuary) are all very intuitive and easy to learn.

I really don't have any actual complaints about the game, aside from the fact that it is (by it's very nature as a Bethesda sandbox game) prone to glitches. All in all, it's worth the price of admission even if you're not a fan of the series.

Edited by (PS4)KestralSylver

You don't have to *cough* buy *cough* it now, just get a demo and buy it when you can

Is there a valid demo around already? I've searched for a link but I can't find one. I don't feel like downloading 25gb of viruses :v or a game that does not work.

Edited by Lokime

Is there a valid demo around already? I've searched for a link but I can't find one. I don't feel like downloading 25gb of viruses :v or a game that does not work.

Entirely ignoring context, any virus which is 25GB in size is a failure. Something that large won't slip under the radar, and that payload is, proportionately speaking, extremely unlikely to do much damage given its size.

I am dling a demo right now, looks legit though, I'll bite the bullet

Entirely ignoring context, any virus which is 25GB in size is a failure. Something that large won't slip under the radar, and that payload is, proportionately speaking, extremely unlikely to do much damage given its size.

Nothing like downloading GTA 6 for 48mb, damn, they got GTA 6 so compressed, the future looks good.

It's a great open-world FPS with a few RPG elements a la Far Cry. That being said, I find it hard to call it an RPG. Bethesda clearly went for an open-world action focus this time, removing a lot of the depth and consequences of character building by making SPECIAL relatively unimportant, removing the level cap, and getting rid of the skilldex. Your choices don't feel like choices in the way they did in new vegas, with the dialogue routes being exclusively goody two-shoes, indifferent mercenary, or psychotic axe murderer and a

*SPOILER*

binary ending. 

Graphics: 9

No, no this is fanboysim and a huge exaggeration. 

The graphics is not a 9. Hell, if I were to be harsh, I'd give it a 5. 

Example? 

Go look at the Brahmin meat in Diamond city and then look at any of the meat in Skyrim.

Skyrim is a 9.

F4 is a 6 at best.

Edited by TheErebus.

No, no this is fanboysim and a huge exaggeration. 

The graphics is not a 9. Hell, if I were to be harsh, I'd give it a 5. 

Example? 

Go look at the Brahmin meat in Diamond city and then look at any of the meat in Skyrim.

Skyrim is a 9.

F4 is a 6 at best.

Opinions, mate.

I'm speaking on a general level. The graphics are drastically improved. Some textures are a bit garish if you focus on them too closely but overall the game's got very smooth and refined visuals.

Opinions, mate.

I'm speaking on a general level. The graphics are drastically improved. Some textures are a bit garish if you focus on them too closely but overall the game's got very smooth and refined visuals.

I wouldn't really call this opinions because it's an objective fact. The textures are just bad. 

Sure, it's drastically better but I still see everything as mid-level quality.

I wouldn't really call this opinions because it's an objective fact. The textures are just bad. 

Sure, it's drastically better but I still see everything as mid-level quality.

Are you comparing on the same graphics settings? Skyrim had an optional ultra-resolution texture pack (I disabled because of loading times), while Fallout 4 hasn't had one yet.

I'm having a lot of fun with it so far... I really enjoy the voiced protaganist and the more cinematic dialogue scenes. One complaint is that you can't really play an 'evil' character... At most you just have the occassional option to be a jerk, sort of like Dragon Age Inquisition.

The graphics are fine. They might not be up to par with something like Metal Gear Solid V, but they're head and shoulders above other Bethesda games, and those aren't really about pretty graphics anyway.

Gear customisation is really fun, and they finally added a function to all those random, misc items you find in Beth games. Have't found many good looking armour sets yet though... I'm still pretty early on.