Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Can't We Use Both Companions?

(PSN)Dark-TailedFox

By that, I mean why aren't we allowed to utilize both Kubrows and Sentinels for a mission at any given point?

Equip your sentinel, but choose between giving it a weapon or leave it weaponless in favor of bringing your Kubrow along for the ride. I don't see how it could be overpowered towards gameplay in any serious manner.

Unless a possible argument to come is "Carrier + Chesa" or something like that, why not just make an embedded restriction that you can't use a Sentinel that has similar precepts to a Kubrow?

Meaning no Shade + Huras, Sanctuary + Shelter (only one or the other), Carrier + Chesa ("Greedy Pull" or choose between area retrieval or vacuum aura), Protect + Guardian (again, one or the other), etc.

Personally, I would like to bring my Helios along for the ride most days to continue my codex collection without being completely open, but I favor having a pet that can take some of the aggro off of me when possible and not go down after 2 hits (especially when it comes to Valkyr on duty).

Its a weird topic probably bound to generate some sort of flame, but its just been a burdening question since any time I've taken a sentinel (usually Helios or Djinn [for void survivals sometimes]), its been stripped of its weapon, and the open slot just eats at my on/off OCD.

It isn't a very interesting question because mechanic choices like this one are just choices.

It's like asking "why can we only bring one Primary, one Secondary and one Melee? Why can't you bring two of each? Your Tenno is surely muscular and strong enough to carry them. Actually a Tenno might even carry a dozen pistols, if they wanted." The answer to this is just: "the Devs had to decide how many things a player can bring, and they picked one Primary, one Secondary, one Melee and one Companion".

Can we bring two Melee? No.

Can we bring two Companions? No.

Can we bring one Longsword and one Hammer? No.

Can we bring one Sentinel and one Kubrow? No.

Why? Because the Devs chose so.

The truth is that they gave us spectres for that. Spectres are good, but terribly underused in pubs. If you want to have two minions, then you can bring a spectre.

I see no reason why we can't bring a floating robot and an organic pet at the same time, just as much as my sentinel can help babysit my Kubrow/soon-will-be-using-Kavat when it runs towards its pit of death.

Not to mention neither pet can even do any legitimate damage at higher levels compared on what you can normally do in Ceres.

To Kubrows and Kavats, Sentinels looks like chewtoys, and the Sentinel self-preservation programs interpret the resulting gnawing as aggression. They are both a distracting object and potentially harmful to each other in the field.

Nah, they'd be too busy gnawing on the remains of enemies killed by slash weapons to worry about a sentinel.

Nah, they'd be too busy gnawing on the remains of enemies killed by slash weapons to worry about a sentinel.

You'd think that, but it's the red laser dot effect: no matter HOW dangerous it is, they just GOTTA get that red laser pointer dot-bug-thing.

Again, you'd THINK so, but Kubrows are DUMB as HELL.

Well, when it comes to not running ahead and alerting an enemy without the attack precept installed, sure. But let's keep it gamewise for now. I enjoy a good joke from time to time, but I do wish we could use both of them per mission as a higher arsenal customization.

(Including the weapon customization of having more than one primary/secondary/melee, though how would ammo recovery work on that?)

Well, when it comes to not running ahead and alerting an enemy without the attack precept installed, sure. But let's keep it gamewise for now. I enjoy a good joke from time to time, but I do wish we could use both of them per mission as a higher arsenal customization.

(Including the weapon customization of having more than one primary/secondary/melee, though how would ammo recovery work on that?)

It would be interesting for sure, and as potential Incubator segment upgrades go that might be a good one.

By that, I mean why aren't we allowed to utilize both Kubrows and Sentinels for a mission at any given point?

Equip your sentinel, but choose between giving it a weapon or leave it weaponless in favor of bringing your Kubrow along for the ride. I don't see how it could be overpowered towards gameplay in any serious manner.

Unless a possible argument to come is "Carrier + Chesa" or something like that, why not just make an embedded restriction that you can't use a Sentinel that has similar precepts to a Kubrow?

Meaning no Shade + Huras, Sanctuary + Shelter (only one or the other), Carrier + Chesa ("Greedy Pull" or choose between area retrieval or vacuum aura), Protect + Guardian (again, one or the other), etc.

Personally, I would like to bring my Helios along for the ride most days to continue my codex collection without being completely open, but I favor having a pet that can take some of the aggro off of me when possible and not go down after 2 hits (especially when it comes to Valkyr on duty).

Its a weird topic probably bound to generate some sort of flame, but its just been a burdening question since any time I've taken a sentinel (usually Helios or Djinn [for void survivals sometimes]), its been stripped of its weapon, and the open slot just eats at my on/off OCD.

my gues they want to replace sentinals. or at least have kubrows be late game over sentinals early game

or at least in all honesty you should be able to revive your sentinal like the kubrow not just

oh it god 1 hitted all well 38 more mins of survival to go

It's easy to think "why not?" when you have "normal" Sentinel and Kubrow.

But if you potato and start to forma your Sentinel and its weapons, and potato and forma your Kubrow, and start to rank up the mods to max in them all, then you'll start to see why DE wouldn't allow both - having both (at full modding capability) would actually be OP.    Fully modded up, both Sentinels and Kubrows are absolute monsters - having two monsters with you would be like having another team member, and it would be too OP.

Whereas the extra pets you can have, like Specters, have capabilities that are more at base, unmodded level, which isn't absolutely nothing - it's helpful and useful - but is nothing like as powerful as a fully-modded Sentinel/Weapon or Kubrow.

Edited by Omnimorph

It's easy to think "why not?" when you have "normal" Sentinel and Kubrow.

But if you potato and start to forma your Sentinel and its weapons, and potato and forma your Kubrow, and start to rank up the mods to max in them all, then you'll start to see why DE wouldn't allow both - having both (at full modding capability) would actually be OP.    Fully modded up, both Sentinels and Kubrows are absolute monsters - having two monsters with you would be like having another team member, and it would be too OP.

Whereas the extra pets you can have, like Specters, have capabilities that are more at base, unmodded level, which isn't absolutely nothing - it's helpful and useful - but is nothing like as powerful as a fully-modded Sentinel/Weapon or Kubrow.

I did say that the trade off of having both is that your sentinel has no weapon since taking your Kubrow would occupy that slot which would normally be its weapon. So its more like "take your sentinel for its non-weapon based utility and your kubrow for its personal utility and damage". Not "take you sentinel for damage and your kubrow for damage", that's spectre work.

Why can you only have a sentinel or a kubrow along, but not both?

Because the intricate neural interface used to connect a kubrow and tenno, and the interface used to connect a sentinel and tenno use much of the same electrical and neural circuitry, with the electrochemical capacitors only attuned to being able to handle one set of signals. Attempting to use both at once results in overloading capacitors and creating a cascading feedback loop that would disrupt and hurt both tenno and sentinel/kubrow if multiple linkings were attempted.

This would create a feedback loop connected directly into the limbic systems which would trigger hostile aggression in all parties involved.

That, or... lazy coders.

Or lol balance.

Or something.

You'll have to settle for only herping one derp at a time.