Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excuse Me, Pc Gamer

Renathy

I was reading up on your most recent article about Warframe, when I came across this beautifully put quote:

Like most free-to-play games, Warframe tries to annoy you into spending real money.

Oh gee, Digital Extremes needs to stop harassing its player base to spend their hard-earned cash on their vast list of cosmetic items. You can't go one game without a prompt of some sort forcing you to spend money to look dashing. Gosh, they're just like EA. Microtransactions this, microtransactions that. What is up with them...

On a serious note, and without any further sarcasm, what? It's all I can ask myself: What. It's the key word, and question, to this specific quote in their article. - Since when does the game tries to annoy you into spending real money? It's actually pretty quiet about it. You can live without spending a dime. Everything else is obtainable one way or another, and there are always discounts.

I have been away for a long time, but I stumbled upon this article through the Steam news page, which usually has articles from virtually every website. I know nothing about the upcoming changes, noted on their article, but they seem like a welcoming change, and in the end, I hardly doubt it's going to "annoy you into spending real money".

Edited by JRMC

Annoy? That is a relatively strong word when it comes to the highly sensitive topic that is F2P and their business models. Warframe is fair, just like DotA and CS:GO is.

Honestly, nobody forces people to buy Asiimovs, $200 knives, Arcanes, Profile Pics etc. but people do. Same thing applies here, maybe some lee way with inventory slots and potatoes but even those, I have them stacked up on shelves from last last christmas.

Most reviews to Warframe are badly written. The business model is perfect, what is terrible however is the new player experience, getting what most of us have for fodder is super hard for them.

I was reading up on your most recent article about Warframe, when I came across this beautifully put quote:

Oh gee, Digital Extremes needs to stop harassing its player base to spend their hard-earned cash on their vast list of cosmetic items. You can't go one game without a prompt of some sort forcing you to spend money to look dashing. Gosh, they're just like EA. Microtransactions this, microtransactions that. What is up with them...

On a serious note, and without any further sarcasm, what? It's all I can ask myself: What. It's the key word, and question, to this specific quote in their article. - Since when does the game tries to annoy you into spending real money? It's actually pretty quiet about it. You can go live without spending a dime. Everything else is obtainable one way or another, and there are always discounts.

I have been away for a long time, but I stumbled upon this article through the Steam news page, which usually has articles from virtually every website. I know nothing about the upcoming changes, noted on their article, but they seem like a welcoming change, and in the end, I hardly doubt it's going to "annoy you into spending real money".

The comment is specifically about the revive system, which in its current form, is really the only way that the game "annoys" you into spending money. Once your daily revives run out, you have to either wait til the reset (can be very unappealing, and new players might not even know), use another frame (this option may be unappealing or unavailable if you're new), or spend plat.

This "spend money to get more revives" is very common among instanced free-to-plays, which is what they're referring to. They had already established they were talking about death mechanics by the time they said it. Warframe's way of doing it is a lot more fair than most, where you'll often find the free revives insufficient unless you're a top player. If Warframe truly followed in those footsteps, your revives would probably be global instead of per-frame.

Edited by Tails-san

The comment is specifically about the revive system, which in its current form, is really the only way that the game "annoys" you into spending money, as once your daily revives run out, you have to either wait til the reset (can be very unappealing, and new players might not even know), use another frame (this option may be unappealing or unavailable if you're new), or spend plat.

I wouldn't call it an annoyance. Since most of the players are here for the cooperation mode of this game, I'm sure they can manage to get back up without any problems with a common squad.

Well, like Tails said, that part was about the revive system, which is getting changed to not be bullcrap. PC Gamer tends not to play the whole game before reviewing, pretty much they take the first 30 minutes and write a review on it. If he was late game, that revive part wouldn't be on there because he wouldn't be dying, and if he was, having more Warframes means you have more revives, so it isn't a big deal.

What? Warframe as many F2P? Tries to annoy you making you spend real money?

We know how things really are, and by myself I can say that this is just cute to see someone giving sentences on a game that clearly the creator of the article don't play, lol.

I wouldn't call it an annoyance. Since most of the players are here for the cooperation mode of this game, I'm sure they can manage to get back up without any problems with a common squad.

While it's never pushed me to spend money, it has annoyed me when frames I main end up out of revives at times. This has usually involved T4 endless mission farming, Syndicate missions (often end up solo for these, and sometimes things go wrong, often thanks to scouring the map instead of playing normally), and occasionally Trials (once had to hold off a raid run with friends because I lacked revives on Nova). Oh, and lets not forget that you can end up losing all your frame revives in archwing.

Also, while using an alt to try out the new player experience (and get Darvo scans on this account, since that's only available in the 3rd mission of Vor's Prize), I found that the extra revives they give players on signup were actually rather necessary, it's very easy to end up in unfair situations when you're new. This is why the system is being changed in the first place, it practically preys on newbies and, to a lesser extent, more casual players.

It pretty much forces you to wait, change frame, or pay up. And the first two can be considered annoyances. The change is certainly a welcome one, and helps the game stand out against other models even more.

They only remaining negative incentives to purchase content with real money is weapon and Warframe slots. Maybe reactor, catalysts, and Forma, but those can be aquired in-game.

Comparatively speaking this is a very reasonable monetization scheme that mostly gets its money by selling accessories, and plat at discount.