The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Best Jack-Of-All-Trades Assualt Rifle?

F.BlackR

Question

While not really an assault rifle, the Latron sounds like the sort of thing which might suit you, and now is a good time to see if you can get hold of a Latron Prime.

Otherwise, the Braton Prime is a fairly powerful mid-range assault rifle with an extremely high status chance. The Soma is also decent, but is technically a LMG.

Dera Vandel: 100% accuracy, no recoil whatsoever, makes quick work of nullifier shield, "bullets" have relatively fast travel time for a non hitscan weapon, works like a charm with punchthrough, ...

Just requires a few forma though(i'd say 4 at least). But what good gun doesnt't nowadays?

When you say, jack of all trades, I assume you mean it works equally well against all factions. The Braton Prime (which I love btw) was mentioned the most in this thread but is Slash heavy and has basically no Impact. I don't know why no one has suggested the Burston Prime. Almost equal physical damage across the board, it's suitable for any faction. Combine Shred with the BurstonP's syndicate mod and go to town on anything. Plus since you are already accustomed to semi-auto but are seeking an assault rifle, its a perfect blend of both.

Burston Prime all the way.

When you say, jack of all trades, I assume you mean it works equally well against all factions. The Braton Prime (which I love btw) was mentioned the most in this thread but is Slash heavy and has basically no Impact. I don't know why no one has suggested the Burston Prime. Almost equal physical damage across the board, it's suitable for any faction. Combine Shred with the BurstonP's syndicate mod and go to town on anything. Plus since you are already accustomed to semi-auto but are seeking an assault rifle, its a perfect blend of both.

Burston Prime all the way.

Ha, Burston Prime with the syndicate augment and Shred is practically full auto dude. One of the main reasons I switched to Soma Prime was because I was tired of clicking so much when you get swarmed.

However, Soma Prime has some pretty ludicrous damage with Crit and everything, but because objects can't be Critted, it suffers against nullified bubbles.

Not technically an assault rifle, but a Latron of some description may suit your purposes. Preferably a prime or wraith. It might be semi-auto, but it becomes quite effective against mobs if you kit it out with Shred: it'll let you spam the trigger faster, and gives you a bit of punch-through for the crowds.

Other than that, Braton Prime is pretty nice, as others have said. Being slash-based it will lose out a bit vs. higher level Grineer/Corrupted, unless you have a way of stripping armour values (4x Corrosive Projection, Abating Link, Sonic Fracture, Seeking Shuriken, probably some I'm forgetting).

If you don't mind leading your targets a bit, Dera Vandal is lavly. Makes a great sound, looks cool, pin-point accurate, nice big magazine, puncture-based so great against armour. The Supra is also huuuge fun, but is expensive to craft and takes a lot of forma to get working effectively, so not sure I'd recommend it here.

Edited by Dualice

Anything with six forma in it.

You can customize about any gun to face any opponent as long as you have the mod energy to get the necessary mods in.

Having said that, I tend to view the BratonP as the go-to gun for almost every situation. It's only real deficiency is the lack of a recovery effect, but it's in good company there and you can always pair it with a syndicate modded Furis or melee equipped with lifestrike.

The SomaP gets honorable mention mostly for usability and raw damage output. Since it's a crit-based weapon, your build options narrow considerably and it pretty much demands a steady hand for the near-mandatory headshots to really see what it can do. Nevertheless, it performs very well across a broad spectrum of situations.

As you can see everyone has it's own favorite, most of these assault rifles are overall effective and can be modded to efficiency and formaed to deadlyness. Now it's up to you to decide do you pick: travel time over hitscan, body tossing over crit, damage over status, every weapon hes it's own perks and how good is he is also linked with skill and preferences of player. 

Personally I know most debates have been battled in forums about soma vs boltor, but braton was never too far away. Some ppl praise somas' hitscan and crit chance, in case you aim and hitting the heads, could really be overall best weapon but what if you don't? Other ppl claim that in true lategame status is the king and that takes over crit of soma, but then wouldn't braton be best? Some(many) still believe that boltor is best but I would say that difference is small enough that you can pick whatever seems better to you personally. 

And now there are new kids like dera vandal, good enough to threaten the old favorites? imo no but some ppl disagree. 

I for example don't like assault rifles at all :) my three weapons that I've formaed are tonkor, ignis and synulor :)

Edited by ThorienKELL

If you consider 'jack of all trades' as a weapon that fits all three damage roles; Direct Damage, Weakpoint Damage, and Status Effects, the only assault rifle (full auto primary) which is powerful in all three of these roles is the (of mentioned above) Braton Prime.

You can build for status, which is very effective with Corrosive armor stripping and slash proc stacking, but if you want to build for direct damage the output with HCal and 90% elements is very competitive with top weapons. Finally, you can also build for crits and aim for headshots to get better damage output than the direct damage setup to the torso.

Very versatile; very 'jack of all trades'.