The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shield Gates For Players

EmptyDevil

4 minutes ago, RacerDelux said:

That guy can have like what, 3k health? I think he will do just fine. Besides, even if he dies, he can try to revive himself. I have not heard of people having issues surviving with him. If the do add shield gating, maybe they need to give him an invisible 1 shield to prevent one shots. But this can be thought about more. It would not negatively impact him, that's for sure.

I dont think Inaros would even need that 1 Shield, considering 3/4 of his powers let him recover health and there's Armor to consider, Inaros has one of the best passive survivabilties in the game.

24 minutes ago, Venom-Snake said:

I dont think Inaros would even need that 1 Shield, considering 3/4 of his powers let him recover health and there's Armor to consider, Inaros has one of the best passive survivabilties in the game.

I thought the idea here was to prevent 0HK? at some point with enemy scaling the damage they do would be more than enough to do this to Inaros

Just now, DxAdder said:

I thought the idea here was to prevent 0HK? at some point with enemy scaling the damage they do would be more than enough to do this to Inaros

It would mean ANY kind of damage will make the Shield Gate happen, even from level 1 enemies, and make him invincible for 1 second or so and will become irrelevant unless he dunks back in cover, but the moment he gets another hit from any enemy source? It shatters again? It would be very redundant.

11 minutes ago, Venom-Snake said:

It would mean ANY kind of damage will make the Shield Gate happen, even from level 1 enemies, and make him invincible for 1 second or so and will become irrelevant unless he dunks back in cover, but the moment he gets another hit from any enemy source? It shatters again? It would be very redundant.

All Im saying is that that DE isn't going to leave a frame out, something would have to be done to accommodate Inaros.

And what about enemies that have no Shields ?

Edited by DxAdder

12 minutes ago, DxAdder said:

All Im saying is that that DE isn't going to leave a frame out, something would have to be done to accommodate Inaros.

And what about enemies that have no Shields ?

We really don't want enemies to not be 1 hit. That could get bad real fast. It would be fine if they had shield changes, but not 1 hit KO prevention. For Inaros, I am sure something can be figured out though. He could have a special case where if at full health, he can't be 1 hit with a small cool-down between triggers.

Inaros acommodation to Shield Gates

How about Inaros gets something like Quick Thinking. 

At 1HP, he has 1 second of invulnerability.

Allied Units

Should Specters and Pets also get shield gates and SCI?

Edited by (PS4)B_Psycho2

6 minutes ago, (PS4)B_Psycho2 said:

Inaros acommodation to Shield Gates

How about Inaros gets something like Quick Thinking. 

At 1HP, he has 1 second of invulnerability.

Allied Units

Should Specters and Pets also get shield gates and SCI?

Pets are covered in the OP already. Specters were not added because they scale IIRC, so they don't need it.

16 hours ago, DxAdder said:

Just going to say, Inaros with the highest EHp in the game (baring a War Cry or Ice chroma build) IF he can get OHK, you've reached the point where it's no longer balanced game play territory and thus not a concern of this or any other post for that matter. A lvl 100 Sortie Jug can't OHK him when built for durability.

25 minutes ago, DarcnyssWolfe said:

Just going to say, Inaros with the highest EHp in the game (baring a War Cry or Ice chroma build) IF he can get OHK, you've reached the point where it's no longer balanced game play territory and thus not a concern of this or any other post for that matter. A lvl 100 Sortie Jug can't OHK him when built for durability.

But getting high enough will still trigger a OHK, where the mechinics of a shieldgate always prevents this on other frames. Second to that, it sounds like borderlands tactics, nobody cares about the actual size of your shield, as long you have one with fast recharge and minimum downtime, because of the shield gate.

6 minutes ago, SinergyX said:

But getting high enough will still trigger a OHK

At some point DE has to stop giving a crap, though. With infinite enemy scaling, there will always come a point where the idea of balancing goes out the window. Sortie already is in the level-range where they previously said that the game isn't balanced for that. You can't expect them to put thought into balancing level 200 enemies when only a handful of (honestly, not quite sane any more) players are ever going to be up against those. Level 100 should be the cut-off point and everything after that ... well, you brought it unto yourself. Here be dragons.

• 3 months later...

While I like shield gating, I don't particularly think that shield gating is the only answer. Part of my reasoning being that while shield gating is effective, it's also a popular way of doing things i.e. a little generic. Besides, the problem with our shield system right now is that so many things bypass it, to affect health and leave our shields filling the role of basically nothing. Why not have it that while shields are active, the effects of health-based procs are severly diminished. Bleed only lasts for 1 second, toxin gets 80% reduced effectiveness, etc. Shields should help in not only protecting but filtering. You could explain it in the sense that shields can plug holes as they heal over, that they filter out harmful chemicals, etc. It's only when our shields break that the full effect of the procs should take place. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I dislike the invulnerability, but the gate idea is good. I know this has been said eight million times but without real playtesting we can't know if 1 second is too much or too little. But there is a reason games use inv windows so I'll leave working out the kinks to DE.

I also think you should have to recharge the gate.

Consider: Shield gates recharge once your shield hits 75 or so. That number chosen so Valkyr can use it.