Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sure Fire Ways To Ruin A Day

Imaru

Does anyone else have that one thing that if it happens, no matter what else happens that day, there is just a black cloud hanging over you for the rest of the day?

For me it's a flat tire on my bike. I use it as my primary mode of transport so when I get a flat it really grinds my gears (pun fully intended).

Anyone else feel a similar way about something?

Well, the death of a 3tb harddrive over the christmas season pretty much did a number on my "cheer".

Especially since this is the 4th of 5 of the same model to die.

(those 7200 rpm seagate 3tb drives are awful)

two died within a week of each other. (about 3 weeks before they went out of warranty)

a 3rd was held in reserve as a backup, it died almost exactly the same number of hours as the first two.

now the two RMA replacements for the first two are going. (one just died and the other is showing 4500+ bad sectors)

all in all, last time i buy a high-capacity 7200 rpm drive. 

hopefully, SSD's will surpass HDD's soon enough that i won't have to buy more than two or three of the 8tb 5400 rpm drives.

either way... i've noticed that most drives newer than 2007 or so are terrible from a durability standpoint.

i still have small capacity drives from the early '00 that STILL RUN!

<grumbles>

Well, the death of a 3tb harddrive over the christmas season pretty much did a number on my "cheer".

two died within a week of each other. (about 3 weeks before they went out of warranty)

a 3rd was held in reserve as a backup, it died almost exactly the same number of hours as the first two.

now the two RMA replacements for the first two are going. (one just died and the other is showing 4500+ bad sectors)

hopefully, SSD's will surpass HDD's soon enough that i won't have to buy more than two or three of the 8tb 5400 rpm drives.

either way... i've noticed that most drives newer than 2007 or so are terrible from a durability standpoint.

<grumbles>

I feel ya on that one.

For me, it's when I spill paint (I work in retail, not as a contractor). That's a black cloud that's happened all of three times, all within the first month there. Now I'm a paranoid bastard when it comes to a potential moment of a spill at 4 months still.

For me, the best way to ruin my day is if my sister calls and asks me something.

She is one of the only people in the world that can give me a tension headache just by sending me a text message.  Woman lives and breathes drama and chaos. 

Beyond that, I'm as solid as a clock. 

When my grandmother gets cranky for no big reason. It's not that I don't like my grandmother, it's just that she did something unintentionally horrible once that resulted in my aunt getting punched by my stupid cousin.

Ever since then, I always starts to get really irritated once she initiates that "let's get cranky" mood.

<grumbles>

Caviar Black or GTFO

Caviar Black or GTFO

Western digital went to crap around 2005. and hasn't ever recovered. (huge failure rates on most of even their premiere drives) -- in the arena of 7200 and 5400. their 10k rpm velociraptors are pretty damned awesome though. (i use one of those (150gb) as my primary drive for my gaming rig) secondary is a 240gb intel ssd.

my linux server. (which is where i keep 99% of my data) has huge reserves of storage. (at one time it held 15TB of storage)

why i bought 7200 rpm drives when i would never need the speed... i don't know. call it the child in me.

i'm switching back to 5400 rpm archival drives from now on. (8tb drives) i don't need the speed, and the 5400's tend to last longer. 

and i'll stick with seagate, they aren't *that* much better than the rest out there these days. (all HDD manufacturers have apparently gone to crap) but at least their overall failure rates are lower. (and more importantly, their RMA, warranty and replacement procedures are much better) 

there's a reason that most huge users of harddrives (google, facebook, microsoft, etc.) use seagate.