Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Could Piracy Be Thwarted In Two Years?

TheErebus.

http://www.pcgamer.com/could-piracy-be-thwarted-within-two-years/

So apparently a hacking forum called 3DM has come out and said that two games (Namely Just Cause 3 and FIFA 16) have been resisting their advances to being cracked open, and that the "champ hacker" Jun has been having a hard time.

The article states that: 

"Recently, many people have asked about cracks for Just Cause 3," Phoenix writes. "The last stage is too difficult and Jun nearly gave up, but last Wednesday I encouraged him to continue."

"I still believe that this game can be compromised. But according to current trends in the development of encryption technology, in two years time I’m afraid there will be no free games to play in the world."

So what do you guys think?

It's only natural that this can happen. I mean, why wouldn't a company up their security?

Edit: I don't know much about that "top" hacker, but it's also possible that he's simply arrogant of his skills. Probably not though.

Edited by Rorgal_Sina

I think that's false. If there is a will, there is a way. Some people will just take it as a challenge of their merits and work just that much harder out of spite. People have thought many times before that piracy and hacking were going to become a thing of the past, but as you can see, that's false. Thing to note, soon, games will have far better encryption than the government's files... Lol

Every safeguard is bound to be broken sooner or later, games and game devs should protect themselves against piracy by providing worthwhile content and encouraging actually buying the game instead of trying to penalize pirates. History of videogames proves that excessive security measures were nothing more than an annoyance to the customers, while pirates would enjoy the game pretty much hassle free.

Well cracking Mad max 3 and Metal geral Solid V wasn't easy as well, but they did it. Im pretty sure there will be a hole that those guys (hackers) will always find and give it away, that's their hobby or job anyway.
But it's good to see that some games hire more people to protect their product and if everyone make their games like blizzard for example (try it first and buy it if you like it) they will keep getting some money. I really hope that there will be an end to those subscription based games tho'.

Edited by Grobbus

Every safeguard is bound to be broken sooner or later, games and game devs should protect themselves against piracy by providing worthwhile content and encouraging actually buying the game instead of trying to penalize pirates. History of videogames proves that excessive security measures were nothing more than an annoyance to the customers, while pirates would enjoy the game pretty much hassle free.

I have to agree. They're just pushing themselves to the next big video game crash. People aren't happy with all these security measures. An example, having to be online to play a game that doesn't have online play.

I wholeheartedly support the so-called "robinhooding" and independent developers. Sue me.
As it often occurs, the larger the group gets, the more diluted becomes its "humanity" and the more apparent becomes its race for money. They cost more to maintain, they need more to expand, the communication inside the company becomes increasingly inefficient and every department is pursuing its own goals... It's a nightmare.

Edited by LABAL

If they got it through their skulls that $60 for a download and not a hardcopy that would require additional resources to make should be cheaper then I wouldn't...agree...with them and what they do.

Reminds me of EA (or any big fish on the market actually) that were like "We agree that games should be cheaper!" and they then refuse to lower prices (and actually keep increasing them) because "our games are special enough to warrant $60 price tag", or maybe "it's a luxury item".

Edited by Mofixil

What? What the flying F*** does that mean? Even if games have good stuff on them that people want people would still try to pirate that S#&$. Maybe some people pirate out of spite, but I think most people pirate because they want to play the game and at the same time have some sort of self-justifying morality complex that has little to no connection with the material world.

I mean, Just Cause 3 doesn't require a perpetual internet connection or some sort of scummy DRM, but it's still difficult to crack. The consumer isn't being shat on by anti-piracy software and the pirate finds themselves frusturated. How is that wrong?

While I'm not a fan of most prices on games, the developers put time and effort into their product and should be reimbursed.  [size=1] even if they are charging stupid amounts.[/size]

Maybe the pirates should look at hacking the prices instead of the games. :X

Edited by Noamuth

While I'm not a fan of most prices on games, the developers put time and effort into their product and should be reimbursed.   even if they are charging stupid amounts.

Maybe the pirates should look at hacking the prices instead of the games. :X

120 dollahs for battlefront ultimate edition and you can receive all this pointless stuff

I'd say that only a few AAA titles will be able to stop piracy, in the end though there's a limit to how far you can encrypt your files so that a computer can doesn't spend too much processing power decrypting the game as well as running it.

I'm more concerned about gameplay quality posted by AAA game companies and how they are establishing economy types such as (F2P, P2P and standalones with Pre-orders and DLC's) on how much expense people are supposed to be paying to actually be satisfied in playing such games.

Right now, I think Piracy is stepping up not because of how bigger and more incredible the content is, but how more likely people are being ripped-off by the size of the price tag that is not even remotely fair to pay, especially when some of them are segmented too evenly in downloadable content that was supposed to make a game in stable quality.