The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Good Secondaries?

Demogarose

Question

Lex Prime (Best end game damge, even better than the Vaykor Marelok), Vaykor Marelok (better than the Lex Prime in mid tier, due to the higher fire rate), Brakk, Synoid Gammacor and Rakta Ballistica (I only put this, because it's good with Ivara since it's a silent weapon, but damage does drop off around wave 35 of T4S)

I wasted 6 forma on the Atomos, it's just a S#&$ Synoid Gammacor that can chain, but deals less damage and has lower range. I wouldn't waste my formas on it again after using it. It's mostly a low tier weapon.

Edited by mrwald0

Lex, Vaykor Marelok, Brakk and Synoid Gammacor.

I wasted 6 forma on the Atomos, it's just a S#&$ Synoid Gammacor that can chain, but deals less damage and has lower range. I wouldn't waste my formas on it again after using it. It's mostly a low tier weapon.

Synoid Gammacor is empty before it can deal damage lol.

Synoid Gammacor is empty before it can deal damage lol.

That is what Primed Pistol Mutation is for and it will still deal more damage than the Atomos with that mod instead of a damage mod on it. The Atomos runs out of ammo just as fast, only it deals less damage making you eat up ammo even faster in later waves as you have to hold it longer to kill things.

Edited by mrwald0

I would add the Telos AkBolto, Sancti Castanas, Aklex, the Synoid Gammacor (specifically on Corpus tilesets where there is a higher than average number of Nullifier Crewmen presnet as it takes down their fields remarkably quickly), and (remarkable that no one else has mentioned it) Twin Grakatas to the list for more experienced Tenno. The Angstrum and Pyrana work well with Nova's Antimatter Drop if you have the augment, as it's currently the most powerful (highest damage output) ability in the game, I believe.

For new Tenno, I would probably recommend trying to build the Lex or Sonicor  from the Market on your Liset. The Sonicor is a relatively easy weapon to farm the required materials for, and the Lex can be purchased for 50.000 credits outright from the Market. They're both easy to use weapons and I would highly recommend them for a new Tenno based on their ease of use, as well as the fact that both can be well utilised at higher levels by more experienced Tenno in the form of the Aklex (dual wield Lex that requires two Lex weapons to build) and the Sonicor being one of the more used Secondaries in the game (also really great if you go down a lot because of the ragdoll).

Realistically, any weapon is viable if used well. It really just depends on your playstyle.

Edit: and that you have fun using it (I certainly do when ragdolling enemies with the Sonicor).

Edited by xochild

That is what Primed Pistol Mutation is for and it will still deal more damage than the Atomos with that mod instead of a damage mod on it. The Atomos runs out of ammo just as fast, only it deals less damage making you eat up ammo even faster in later waves as you have to hold it longer to kill things.

I won't be too sure about that. While you hit an enemy with your gammacor and deal like 3k damage? I deal with atomos 1,5k damage to 4 enemies. And atomos has WAY better ammo efficiency than synoid gammacor.

I won't be too sure about that. While you hit an enemy with your gammacor and deal like 3k damage? I deal with atomos 1,5k damage to 4 enemies. And atomos has WAY better ammo efficiency than synoid gammacor.

have you even used the atomos in higher tiers? The ammo efficiency on the atomos is terrible as well and it takes a lot longer to kill larger mobs with it AND you have to get right in their face do to the S#&$ range of the weapon.

You pop seeker and primed pistol mutation on the gamm and you have a better Atomos. I agree that the Atomos is good for low tier trash mobs, but that isn't worth putting formas into the weapon. I'd rather put them formas into the Amprex.

Edited by mrwald0

While debating the effectiveness of (secondary) weapons is always great, I might recommend that we as a community of experienced players help the OP with some suggestions someone new to the game could use as this is in the Players helping Players section of the forums.

Edited by xochild

Current favorite secondaries are the synoid gammacor, rakta ballistica, and kulstar. SG has a decent perk with the +25 energy, which can help in dire situations. Same with the RB which increases movement speed. Both those weapons also have the 1000 dmg burst, and reload fairly well.

However the kulstar is great. Especially with the 200% multishot, exploding rounds, and NO DISTANCE DROP OFF, I love the gun. Currently I have it modded at 9000 base damage (corrosive + blast). Aside from it being able to kill you, it's wonderful

have you even used the atomos in higher tiers? The ammo efficiency on the atomos is terrible as well and it takes a lot longer to kill larger mobs with it AND you have to get right in their face do to the S#&$ range of the weapon.

You pop seeker and primed pistol mutation on the gamm and you have a better Atomos. I agree that the Atomos is good for low tier trash mobs, but that isn't worth putting formas into the weapon. I'd rather put them formas into the Amprex.

Atomos over synoid gammacor any day. It just deals way more dps to multiple people while maintaining a good ammo efficiency. The synoid gammacor shining times are over. I agree that atomos doesn't deal enough damage to be much viable for endgame. But the synoid gammacor also isn't, it's even worse. Also keep in mind while you are using mutation mod and seeker, i can have more damage in my atomos.

Keep in mind that Atomos is also very good for an Ember Accelerant build.

But as far as secondaries are concerned: Lex Prime (High Crit) and Vaykor Marelok (High damage + Status) are the two main guns when it comes to versatility and power. Brakk excels at close range.

Sonicor is more niche (Strong, but you want its AOE more for CC), while the other choices are more ammo draining.

too bad that you're more likely to kill yourself with explosive Hikous than any enemy at endgame level. you can stand 10m away and you'll still take damage from the blast, it's kind of silly. unless you engage the enemy at a medium distance (not always possible in some rooms), you'll likely die before they do.

I usually go Vaykor Marelok or Synoid Gammacor (former for Grineer, latter for Corpus), and on some occasions (usually infested), I'll bring a Lex Prime.

Akmagnus is another one to put on this list. It's a great weapon, that you can pick up early and with some forma it will carry you through even a few t4 runs. Also has the advantage of no needing lethal torrent because of its too high fire rate

Put a good status build on this going along with stunning speed mod and you'll shed through a lot of things. This weapon is particularly good against corpus

The one downside is that you might break your mouse from click it so much and so fast (though you can assign fire to the mouse wheel I suppose). Also reload any time you can so you're not caught reloading when you should be shooting.

too bad that you're more likely to kill yourself with explosive Hikous than any enemy at endgame level. you can stand 10m away and you'll still take damage from the blast, it's kind of silly. unless you engage the enemy at a medium distance (not always possible in some rooms), you'll likely die before they do.

I usually go Vaykor Marelok or Synoid Gammacor (former for Grineer, latter for Corpus), and on some occasions (usually infested), I'll bring a Lex Prime.

Chroma and Trinity are rather fond of this little gem at times, if you don't feel like tossing your glaive/kestrel at your feet.

Atomos is absolutely worth the 6 forma (what mine has too) and I use it in Sorties all the time.  Seeker and Ruinous Extension are both must haves imo on that gun.

OP:

Single target delete button:  Lex Prime

Best all rounder: Vaykor Marelok - didn't see anyone mention that the syndicate proc opens enemies to finishers, in addition to healing you.

CC: Sonicor

Ranged Lifestrike: Winds of Purity Furis - this has started to become my go to, because it's way smoother than using a glaive

Best map wipers: Kulstar (watch out for self damage), Atomos

Close quarters:  Pyrana, or Brakk (console, so I can't scroll wheel macro - did firerate testing, and because I can't pull a trigger fast enough, Pyrana actually has higher DPS)

Machine Pistol: Aksomati

Best silenced weapon:  Lex Prime, with hush.  Better than Spira Despair and Hikou Prime in my opinion

Akimbo semi auto:  Telos Akbolto or Akmagnus

Pocket Nyx: Nukor (no forma, 70% status/sec)

Lulzy stupid high damage if you're insanely rich: Nukor with Arcane Avenger

How do you guys manage to always run out of ammo on Synoid Gammacor? I am pretty sure it is self-sustainable until things go over level 60 or so.

You answered your own question :)

Edit: Forgot about Nukor

Edited by (PS4)Cwellann

You answered your own question :)

The problem is - everything starts to run out of ammo at that point, if you are using it exclusively. I think I even managed to run out of ammo for Tigris on a lvl 100 sortie defence once.

Well, maybe I just use Excal too much.

The problem is - everything starts to run out of ammo at that point, if you are using it exclusively. I think I even managed to run out of ammo for Tigris on a lvl 100 sortie defence once.

Well, maybe I just use Excal too much.

...You ran out of Tigris ammo?  Yikes - how bad was your group? >.<.  I've never gone below half on a shotgun, though for Defense I've started pretty religiously using my Simulor (coupled with a Furis, and, generally, either a Dark Dagger or Glaive Prime), and that thing makes ammo - and energy - concerns a thing of the past.  I took Atomos on that level 100 excavation pistol only sortie a couple days ago, and while I did run out a few times, every time I did I was able to instantly pick up more ammo by running no more than 10m.

Also, yeah, I agree there's definitely a point where everything becomes a bit damage spongy, and while there are various ways to overcome it, it is certainly an issue that needs surmounted.

I tend to use the Sonicor, mainly because I haven't put much time into the Atomos. It has good cc, decent damage, never runs out ammo but has a low magazine capacity and a long reload time. It also can automatically seek out the closest target and can bounce off of walls but has a fixed ranged before it explodes (not necessarily a bad thing).

The Synoid Gammacor is a great weapon as well, especially if you feel you need a little more energy regen/aoe dmg. Can't go wrong with that. You can expel a clip rather quickly depending on how you mod it; which can leave you in a tight spot. It also has a limited range. Other than that, the wep is a pretty good choice.

There are a few others that are really good but keep in mind there is no "one size fits all wep".