Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Finally Upgraded My Computer.

__Kanade__

Told my step dad who's a huge computer geek that I was ready to get a new computer after my old crashed a few years ago. He immediately jumped onto newegg and helped me with my budget I set for myself. Ended up saving some $400 through newegg.

Getting all my stuff delivered tomorrow probably since it just arrived here in Colorado, though we're currently being pounded by an onslaught of snow.

i7-6700 8M Skylake Quad Core @ 3.4 GHz

Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 120GB SATA 3-D Vertical SSD

G-Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800

EVGA GeForce GTX 970

WD Blue 1TB Hard Drive

CORSAIR Hydro-Series H90

My step dad is itching to start building this thing, he loves building his own PCs.

Of course I have all the other little things needed to complete this PC. Once taxes are in, I'll be getting another 970 and most likely do a Raid Zero config.

all being put into an AZZA Solano 1000 Black Japanese SECC Tower with a blue/green LED layout.

Complete upgrade from the little i3-2350 @ 2.30GHz, 4GB RAM + Integrated graphics card laptop I've been using. Don't even remember what my old desktop had, but I believe it only had an i3.

There was also a special deal going on with newegg and apparently I'm getting a free copy of Rise of The Tomb Raider which I didn't know had a PC port.

Finally I'll be able to play Warframe in all it's graphical glory @.@.

Among other things.

What do you guys think of this PC? Not the strongest one, but I had a budget to work with and this from leftover nosh after having to buy a new transmission for my car ( no longer has a 2nd gear ).

Edited by __Kanade__

things to note:

2x GTX970's is mostly a waste of your time. on paper it's better than other options in the same price range, but in practice it results in that much less often.

more importantly though, putting SSD's into RAID0 is a complete waste of time. just a waste of money.

i also don't see how you can stand using a 120gig SSD unless it's dedicated just to Windows and absolutely nothing else, and you install very little to it.

lastly if you were working on a tight budget, LGA1151 was a waste of money. a few percent higher performance in real world tops, but costs much more than you could spend on a socket one or two generations before that would perform the same.

performance of what's there however, will be good nonetheless.

(insert grumble about not having enough SSD space to put fat software (like fat games) on to make them load 20x faster. but am a bit of a nuts person, as i have an SSD for boot, and when the new one comes in, one SSD dedicated to fat Steam games, one dedicated to fat other games, in addition to a music drive, and a data drive for applications and Steam)

things to note:

2x GTX970's is mostly a waste of your time. on paper it's better than other options in the same price range, but in practice it results in that much less often.

more importantly though, putting SSD's into RAID0 is a complete waste of time. just a waste of money.

i also don't see how you can stand using a 120gig SSD unless it's dedicated just to Windows and absolutely nothing else, and you install very little to it.

lastly if you were working on a tight budget, LGA1151 was a waste of money. a few percent higher performance in real world tops, but costs much more than you could spend on a socket one or two generations before that would perform the same.

(insert grumble about not having enough SSD space to put fat software (like fat games) on to make them load 20x faster. but am a bit of a nuts person, as i have an SSD for boot, and when the new one comes in, one SSD dedicated to fat Steam games, one dedicated to fat other games, in addition to a music drive, and a data drive for applications and Steam)

While I did want a gaming PC, it's not being dedicated to gaming directly.

For the most part, it's so that I can use 3DS Max and illustrator to their fullest since the laptop I have doesn't have the space nor the GPU performance to withstand the work I do in illustrator. But like I said, I had a small amount of money leftover after having to get a new transmission for my car. I had to save money where I could you know, so ya I chose to get a 970 and still plan on getting another one over a 980. I don't need the best of the best.

Edited by __Kanade__

I don't need the best of the best.

but you have noted being on a tight budget, so again:

the aforementioned note towards CPU,Motherboard,RAM - spending significantly more than needed when on a tight budget, when could spend a good chunk less and get basically the same performance result in anything but synthetic benchmarks.

and that 2 970's makes for inconsistent performance depending on what you're doing (and application work being a diceroll whether it supports more than one GPU for any GPU accelerating it has).

Multi-GPU setups also cause more fluctuations in Frame Time variance, as many an enthusiast has found out the hard way when they find that depending on how (un)lucky they are, Multi-GPU could cause rendering tasks (such as games) to feel stuttery quite often despite the Framerate never changing much or at all (the mostly uselessness that is Framerate and that Frame Time being the only thing that matters is another story and a different thread).

i.e. saying that it's a lot simpler to use a single GPU. you avoid many potential issues (which keyword is potential, they may or may not be a problem for someone, just the potential for those problems), while at worst case sacrificing a little bit of performance.

the aforementioned note towards CPU,Motherboard,RAM - spending significantly more than needed when on a tight budget, when could spend a good chunk less and get basically the same performance result in anything but synthetic benchmarks.

I'm just happy I have a much stronger computer than my old desktop and laptop regardless of what you think of it. Don't see why you think of having to make a big deal out of it. You either like my setup or you don't, no need to go into detail of X and Y. I'm sorry it's not the same as whatever set up your using I guess?

Edited by __Kanade__

That should do fine, I got the game running great on a i930/GTX580 temporarily when my Titan decided to cough it's last breath on my main rig couple of months ago.

I'm just happy I have a much stronger computer than my old desktop and laptop regardless of what you think of it. Don't see why you think of having to make a big deal out of it. You either like my setup or you don't, no need to go into detail of X and Y. I'm sorry it's not the same as whatever set up your using I guess?

because

hqdefault.jpgeusa_dance.gif

There was a hole here, now it's gone. I guess...  (╯°Д°)︵ ┻━┻

-snip-

deliberately skewing the intent of words to suit your defensive position is incredulous.

you clearly are of the mindset of 'i know better than you' when you aren't really sure what you're doing.

these are recommendations based around saving you money (or pointing out how you could have saved money). because you clearly note you're not made of it.

if you don't want my professional opinion, whatever. just know that you've contradicting yourself in saying you have a tight budget then spend way more money than you need to.

not really sure what you expected though. you make a Thread about Computer technicals, you're going to attract people that work in that field.

and that 2 970's makes for inconsistent performance depending on what you're doing (and application work being a diceroll whether it supports more than one GPU for any GPU accelerating it has).

Multi-GPU setups also cause more fluctuations in Frame Time variance, as many an enthusiast has found out the hard way when they find that depending on how (un)lucky they are, Multi-GPU could cause rendering tasks (such as games) to feel stuttery quite often despite the Framerate never changing much or at all (the mostly uselessness that is Framerate and that Frame Time being the only thing that matters is another story and a different thread).

i.e. saying that it's a lot simpler to use a single GPU. you avoid many potential issues (which keyword is potential, they may or may not be a problem for someone, just the potential for those problems), while at worst case sacrificing a little bit of performance.

This.

things to note:

Mate, I have a 50 GB SSD. Imagine how much pain I have to suffer through. ;_;