The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Limbo Properly?

-GothKazu-

Question

I just got Limbo abt 6 last night, just got him rank 30 with a Reactor abt an hour ago, did a low level defense abt 20 min ago.

I hear many varying opinions on Limbo and his abilities, but one I heard completely changed my view of him:

"He's like a poor man's Loki"

Which basically means they play similarly. I really like Loki so I decided "OK I put 3 Forma into Loki and learned how to use him effectively (#LokiMasterRace) so now its Limbo's turn.

With all that being said, what's ur build and strategy for Limbo? What mission types do you take him on? Is he your main? Do u like to solo with him or go teamplay? Can he T4S for a long time? What do you think his mission specialty is?

Ik that's a lot of questions but the more info I can get, the better. Just ranking him up was fun and I'm so ready to see him at his best

Edited by Keyeric

25 answers to this question

Limbo is a great frame in my opinion. I have him built for duration with a little bit of range and power strength. Since his abilities allows energy regain, I've added a quick thinking mod. Basically, I use him in defences, perfect for rescues, like banishing the target in the rift and will not sustain any damage from enemy fire and attacks. In survivals, he can manage himself and support others as well depending on the level. Others don't like Limbo as much because they know he can be a troll in most cases (preventing players from picking up objects/completing objectives). But he is good in my opinion and I can help you mod him if interested.

Edited by (PS4)black_viper21

I just got Limbo abt 6 last night, just got him rank 30 with a Reactor abt an hour ago, did a low level defense abt 20 min ago.

I hear many varying opinions on Limbo and his abilities, but one I heard completely changed my view of him:

"He's like a poor man's Loki"

Which basically means they play similarly. I really like Loki so I decided "OK I put 3 Forma into Loki and learned how to use him effectively (#LokiMasterRace) so now its Limbo's turn.

With all that being said, what's ur build and strategy for Limbo? What mission types do you take him on? Is he your main? Do u like to solo with him or go teamplay? Can he T4S for a long time? What do you think his mission specialty is?

Ik that's a lot of questions but the more info I can get, the better. Just ranking him up was fun and I'm so ready to see him at his best

"He's like a poor man's Loki" Hum i think no.

Limbo is like "obito" from naruto. You can be invincible in the rift and be a decoy as much as you want lol. 

Personaly i think he is the master of rescue mission. Banish the rescue target and just run to the end ^.^ 

Edited by trunks013

Limbo is a tough one... most people either love him or hate him.  Most who don't know how to use him or have someone in their group that don't use him properly will also hate him.  Let's just say there are a lot of trolls out there.  When I first started using him, man there was a lot of hate.  I was told in one mission that I should kill myself, leave and don't come back, and several other things (I was unranked at the time, huh).  I wasn't trolling.

That being said.  I use a primarily duration build.  I can banish teammates (companions and rescue targets too) or myself when things get hairy and can agro enemies away from others too.  Just don't leave a cataclysm up in a bad spot for too long as you cannot pick up anything will in rift plane (troll logic).  Allies gain 2 energy/sec while in the rift which can be very helpful.  Some abilities can even still benefit from this while channeling certain abilities (more info here http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Rift_Plane).

Hope that helps.

"He's like a poor man's Loki" Hum i think no.

Limbo is like "obito" from naruto. You can be invincible in the rift and be a decoy as much as you want lol. 

Personaly i think he is the master of rescue mission. Banish the rescue target and just run to the end ^.^ 

That's one of the reasons why I love Limbo, perfect rescue frame

Solo limbo.. i use this trick till enemy lvl reach 70ish

1.use rift.

(danger but fun)2.enter nullifier bubble.

3.butcher all of those inside the bubble.

4.enter rift then banish high priority target.

5.cast cataclysm and wipe all of enemy.

6.repeat till all of them die.

*optional*

use banish on your teammates if they are dying, caster type frame, or just want energy

for defense, spam cataclysm

for rescue, spam banish

for spy, rift walk if nothing can detect you

Edited by TheFalseEclipse

Limbo is FAAAAAAAAAAAR from a "poor man's loki"
Whoever said that clearly does not know how to use limbo.

Limbo works best as a target picker really. He can sit in the rift and not even be touched, then you see a key target, WHAM, banish it and murder it horribly.
He can do a T4S somewhat well, but he excels in defence missions.
Basically, he's the rich man's Frost.

He can chuck cataclysm over the pod, and bam, now it can't be hurt at all. Ultimate ranged defence. Combine him with a Repelling Bastille Vauban, and you also have the ultimate combat defence. Together, THEY CREATE THE ULTIMATE DEFENCE OF WARFRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMEEE!!!!!!!!
What you do, is you use a max narrow minded and Stretch to get the cataclysm at the optimum size, chuck it on the pod and sit back. Stay inside the rift with Rift walk. If you spot healers mostly, banish them and strike them down.

You can also do this in a Mobile defence. Limbo works great for captures, sabotage and any mission that just requires you to go to a point, do something and leave

this might be somewhat opinionated and i'm open to be schooled for the better, but here it goes.

there is not much limbo can do that another frame couldn't do better for the most part.

i've tried to play him and give him a chance every now and then, but his skillset is more often then not way too slow, way too cumbersome and has way too little impact.

the only single mission type i'd even consider picking limbo is for rescue to make the target invulnerable.

that singular aspect aside, there is no mission type where limbo excels on his own.

i see him as a pure support frame.

he can shine in specific team compositions, which in return are to be considered mission independent.

banishing excal, banshee, or equinox can be a boon sometimes, giving those frames energy mitigation they otherwise wouldn't have.

teams can be built around him to make that composition successful, but that's very rarely the case.

i have had more (void) defense fails then i care to count relying on limbos stating he's equal or better then frost. luckily these days noone cares about him anymore.

up to 40 waves is easy with whatever team you pick after all, i had limbos fail below that while a frost could solo way more.

as for builds, go for duration and most necessarily, should you ever face enemies lvl40+, natural talent. don't leave liset without it.

i had bombards rockets sneak in between casts even WITH natural talent, ending a mission right there.

hopefully my opinion doesn't sound too negative, maybe you can make him work. personally i have not seen a single enthusiast be even close to what he could have done with another frame.

by the end of the day, if you like him then all is well. personally i see him as little more then an energy dispenser for niche group setups.

PS: catching up on replies above, no limbo trolls anymore. roll out of rift when you got banished and didn't need/want it. that should be common knowledge, i hope ^^

as well as, limbo is scheduled for a rework, stated in a recent dev stream. so that might up his viability. fingers crossed for an excal treatment.

Edited by Sargathan

The answer to your question as far as I am concerned is: you don't.

I absolutely love the main idea behind Limbo. I love his visual design. But I hate him every time I try to play him.

He does not have a kit honestly. 3 of his abilities do the same thing in different ways, these being Banish, Rift Walk and Cataclysm. They put someone in the rift. His other ability, Rift Surge, is just a steroid, which is fine, but it's not something that classifies fun to use.

Banish and Rift Walk should just be 1 ability, you should be able to Rift Walk while holding (as opposed to tapping) Banish. This functionality was added to Ivara for example, with her quiver. By doing this you have room to give him another interesting and fun ability.

Cataclysm's problem to me is honestly the fact that it hurts you and your team mates more than it helps by completely screwing up loot. Otherwise it would be ok I think.

The answer to your question as far as I am concerned is: you don't.

I absolutely love the main idea behind Limbo. I love his visual design. But I hate him every time I try to play him.

He does not have a kit honestly. 3 of his abilities do the same thing in different ways, these being Banish, Rift Walk and Cataclysm. They put someone in the rift. His other ability, Rift Surge, is just a steroid, which is fine, but it's not something that classifies fun to use.

Banish and Rift Walk should just be 1 ability, you should be able to Rift Walk while holding (as opposed to tapping) Banish. This functionality was added to Ivara for example, with her quiver. By doing this you have room to give him another interesting and fun ability.

Cataclysm's problem to me is honestly the fact that it hurts you and your team mates more than it helps by completely screwing up loot. Otherwise it would be ok I think.

Personally idc abt loot so I have no problem being rifted or using cataclysm. Also you're right, the feature was ADDED with Ivara, meaning it wasn't a thing when Limbo was released. Someone above mentioned that Limbo is supposed to get reworked soon, maybe he'll get that "Ivara special" but until then we don't know.

And the fun part about Limbo isnt really the whole "Ha-ha you're in the void now" its more "I'm smart I can handle this tactically or strategically." For me personally its a sense of accomplishment. I can't speak for other people but that's just me.

And also I play with my brother sometimes and I can't wait to banish him and not let him out xD

Personally idc abt loot so I have no problem being rifted or using cataclysm. Also you're right, the feature was ADDED with Ivara, meaning it wasn't a thing when Limbo was released. Someone above mentioned that Limbo is supposed to get reworked soon, maybe he'll get that "Ivara special" but until then we don't know.

And the fun part about Limbo isnt really the whole "Ha-ha you're in the void now" its more "I'm smart I can handle this tactically or strategically." For me personally its a sense of accomplishment. I can't speak for other people but that's just me.

And also I play with my brother sometimes and I can't wait to banish him and not let him out xD

Whats your brother IGN ill teach him how to backflip ^.^ 

You're supposed to go below the bar.

(That was my first association when they first introduced Limbo. Have never been able to take him seriously since.)

-----

It bothers me when people say 'oh yeah, Limbo is for Rescue'.

You don't need Limbo.

Grab any frame and just high-tail it to the extraction once you free him, 90% of the time you'll leave before the hostage dies - and that's assuming he doesn't just teleport to you.

Mostly I use him in Sortie Defense, Excavation and Rescue missions, especially when the Condition is Energy nerf.

Limbo is good for the following things:

- Priority target assassination

- Defense of a static object (Cryopod, Excavator)

- Defense of an NPC (Rescue, Sortie Defense)

- Protecting vulnerable teammates (eg while travelling between Excavators, or a Mesa in Peacemaker)

- Providing a space of invulnerability and increased Energy regen for teammates

- Ignoring Spy traps

- Trolling teammates

- Not picking up any loot T_T

The basic idea of Limbo, as I play him, is to keep Riftwalk and Rift Surge up at all times (except very brief moments to try and pick up loot and probably die in the process), use Banish to assassinate single targets or protect teammates/NPCs, and use a minimum range Cataclysm to defend objects, create a 'rest & recharge' area for teammates, or create a killing zone to bombard from afar with AoE weaponry.

Here is my build:

Corrosive Projection, Speed Drift (Exilus)

Natural Talent, Intensify, Transient Fortitude, Fleeting Expertise, Narrow Minded, Primed Continuity

Quick Thinking, Primed Flow

Weapons: Torid, Redeemer

Torid creates an area of CC and death in the Cataclysm, or it can be fired on a Banished target then continue ticking when you unbanish them.

Redeemer just does amazing Ground Finisher damage in Limbo's hands.

Basically, he's the rich man's Frost.

He can chuck cataclysm over the pod, and bam, now it can't be hurt at all. Ultimate ranged defence. Combine him with a Repelling Bastille Vauban, and you also have the ultimate combat defence. Together, THEY CREATE THE ULTIMATE DEFENCE OF WARFRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMEEE!!!!!!!!

But unfortunately in defense missions keeping the pod alive is only half of it.  At some point you actually have to kill the enemies.  For Limbo that means you need a very specific squad designed to kill from inside the rift with powers.  Something like a Mesa.  Good luck to you in dealing with nullifiers with that set up.

If you want to hand tailor your whole squad around Limbo then by all means do so.  Me, I'd rather play what ever frame I want from inside a Frost globe.

(That was my first association when they first introduced Limbo. Have never been able to take him seriously since.)

-----

It bothers me when people say 'oh yeah, Limbo is for Rescue'.

You don't need Limbo.

Grab any frame and just high-tail it to the extraction once you free him, 90% of the time you'll leave before the hostage dies - and that's assuming he doesn't just teleport to you.

Exactly!

I have the same problem for people who think Stealth is impossible without Ash/Loki/Ivara/Wukong or invisibility... GIT GUD!

Exactly!

I have the same problem for people who think Stealth is impossible without Ash/Loki/Ivara/Wukong or invisibility... GIT GUD!

the initial question was "where is limbo good at?"

not "do i really need limbo for rescue?"

tone down the elitism and rank up your primed reading.

and yea, if anything, rescue is where limbo is good at. (or NPC defense as relabled above, which unfortunately didn't work for alad v in shadow debt)

anyway, on a sidenote, even the best limbo will not be used to his fullest if teammates don't know how to work his advantages, which unfortunately not many do or care about. a thing that doesn't help limbo either.

Edited by Sargathan

Limbo is actually a useful frame but because his troll potential is so high and there are so many people who like to troll (unfortunately that is just the nature of the gaming/online community sometimes) that many people including myself do not like Limbo. Which is unfortunate because whenever a Limbo joins my game I immediately have a bad opinion of him even if he is actually a player who knows how to use him properly. This is because there are so many Limbo's out there who have ruined Limbo's reputation for the good Limbo players. It's unfortunate but it's what's happening.

the initial question was "where is limbo good at?"

not "do i really need limbo for rescue?"

tone down the elitism and rank up your primed reading.

and yea, if anything, rescue is where limbo is good at. (or NPC defense as relabled above, which unfortunately didn't work for alad v in shadow debt)

anyway, on a sidenote, even the best limbo will not be used to his fullest if teammates don't know how to work his advantages, which unfortunately not many do or care about. a thing that doesn't help limbo either.

C'mon man, I'm not being elitist : I just say that you aren't restricted to a specific frame for a job...

Perhaps if the frame is only good at one thing, you may have missed something, that's all... If it appears elitist, then I'm sorry, it wasn't intended to.

But unfortunately in defense missions keeping the pod alive is only half of it.  At some point you actually have to kill the enemies.  For Limbo that means you need a very specific squad designed to kill from inside the rift with powers.  Something like a Mesa.  Good luck to you in dealing with nullifiers with that set up.

If you want to hand tailor your whole squad around Limbo then by all means do so.  Me, I'd rather play what ever frame I want from inside a Frost globe.

Its very easy to work around limbo. As long as there is one damage dealing frame, you're sorted. Yes, limbo does need a workaround for using in longterm defence, but he works MUCH better than frost.

If your team wants to push the limits and go as long as possible for the S#&$s and giggles, then limbo is the way to go. If you're going with pubs, then yes, go with Frost. Personally, I'll still take limbo, jsut cause I know he's better for defending, but that's just me.

C'mon man, I'm not being elitist : I just say that you aren't restricted to a specific frame for a job...

Perhaps if the frame is only good at one thing, you may have missed something, that's all... If it appears elitist, then I'm sorry, it wasn't intended to.

elitist might have been a bit of a strong word, my bad. i just got rubbed the wrong way by "git gud" in a thread that's supposed to help and answer a few questions.

that aside, my interest in limbo resurfaced briefly and i took him for another spin to see for myself with the intention of finding the perfect build for him... but that motivation was short lived.

apparently this has been a while but i tested it myself just now, along with other rather known points:

limbo does no longer restore energy on banished frames with toggle abilities as he once did. (tested as ember, might work with other frames but i doubt it.)

limbo does no longer combo with volts shield which allowed you to shoot out of cataclysm.

limbo has a serious problem dealing with nullifiers both corrupted and corpus alike.

limbo is entirely useless in excavation. banished frames can't pick up power cores. cataclysm around an excavation site makes it impossible for teammembers to enter with a core to power it.

limbos banish on sortie NPCs lasts only a few seconds, no matter how much duration you pack. (i saw this first hand on alad v in shadow debt. a friend stated it is the same for sorties, to be precise)

limbo can't use activation pads in raids while in rift making him an exceedingly bad choice there. (that was obvious enough, well known since LoR came)

limbo can't hack grineer consoles while in rift. (very noticeable in spy missions)

can't shoot obstacles blocking ventilation shafts.

leaving the rift every now and then is a necessity and recasting cataclysm is unavoidable, which due to casting animation length can be anything from instantdeath to mission fail against higher enemies.

while limbo is banished, his sentinel or kubrow is not.

after going through this...

neither for solo nor group play does limbo offer anything worthwhile in my opinion. apparently i overslept those nerfs hitting him.

plain rescue mission. that's the only mission limbo can do to benefit a team really, but then again.. as others mentioned above, you might as well just speed through it, or in a more elegant way, use loki with switch teleport augment to provide the same invulnerability and bring 3 more strong and useful abilities into the mission.

we are flooded with better options for solo and group play for every mission type, from generalists to specialists.

i wouldn't have said this a few days ago, but i don't see a redeeming quality for limbo after testing him again.

if all of the above can't make you abandon limbo and stash him until he gets his rework, here a few pointers on modding:

aura energy siphon, corrosive projection, loot 

natural talent  - imho mandatory, casting animation is way too long otherwise.

cunning drift - that little extra speed helps, imho the best exilus decision for limbo. i'd use it even without exilus slot just to beef the animation speed further.

streamline - obvious

(primed) continuity - obvious

after those mods, it quickly boils down to preferences. balance duration and range, with heavy emphasis on duration. fill rest with survivability.

narrow minded, stretch, primed flow, quick thinking, rage

or

vitality, constitution, intensify, fleeting expertise(rank3), something

his augments feel incredibly underwhelming.

as someone above mentioned, to me as well it feels like playing a frame with just a single ability, but i suppose that is up to taste. i didn't have the stomach to find the perfect build, which i strife for on (almost) every other frame so far. limbo and mesa are the only frames i don't have a satisfying build for and don't enjoy playing (anymore anyway)

sorry for yet another longwinded post, but now i'm outlimboed until he gets buffed, changed, or reworked at least.

cheers and good luck!

edit: rift walk is surprisingly handy in spy missions, at least partly. first time i took limbo there. having to leave rift walk to hack and whatnot still stops the flow, but passing through laser traps unhindered is quite convinient i must say. don't see myself picking limbo over other frames i actually enjoy but there's that.

Edited by Sargathan

The basic idea is Limbo is in full control of weapon damage from both your team and the enemy.

This is a lot easier to manage solo and plenty of people here have already mentioned what Limbo is good for that way.

The challenge is with a team.

The less your team depends on weapons for damage, the easier it is for you to control it.

If you decide to run with a team that will focus on weapon damage, make sure to plan out where Limbo will do his thing so that the rest of the team knows where weapons stop working and where to go if they want to hang out in the rift.

If you decide to run with more ability focused teams, then it's all about frame/ability choice and what mission you're doing. The whole idea behind this is that your team takes no weapon damage in the rift so tanky frames aren't really what you want.

Smoke Shadow Ash+Limbo is the unstoppable duo. If Ash makes sure to cloak Limbo and Limbo banishes Ash every time, nothing can kill either of them. It's also the best pairing for speed running Spy missions as well. This combo lacks cc and AoE damage though so it takes a while to deal with large groups of enemies.

If you add an Excalibur into that then pretty much all bases are covered, He brings the blind cc and non-stop Exalted Blade damage.

The fourth frame can be pretty much anything you want.

If you're against a lot of armor without 4 Corrosive Projections and Ash+Excalibur armor ignores isn't enough, try a Fracture Banshee.

If you're fighting a lot of Ancient Healers, Oberon or Nyx is pretty good.

If your team has no Vitality/Vigor/Quick Thinking equipped and there are a lot of Venomous eximi enemies then Oberon, Trinity, or maybe Curative Hydroid can deal with that. You could even go Haven Limbo instead but that's a little bit risky because you might not be able to unbanish+banish the whole team in time and Limbo can't heal himself either.

Pretty sure there are other team combos out there as well but these are the ones that I use the most.

tl;dr Limbo manages weapon damage. More teammates and more weapons = more work for Limbo.

limbo is entirely useless in excavation. banished frames can't pick up power cores. cataclysm around an excavation site makes it impossible for teammembers to enter with a core to power it.

limbos banish on sortie NPCs lasts only a few seconds, no matter how much duration you pack. (i saw this first hand on alad v in shadow debt. a friend stated it is the same for sorties, to be precise)

You can power the Excavator from above, as long as you have a narrow minded cataclysm (which you should).

Banish works as normal on Sortie Defense target. Your friend is mistaken or you misinterpreted. It was only Alad V who had the weird Banish resistance, and even then you could Banish him every 5s if you really wanted to.

Edited by OniGanon