Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let's Recap What Has De Taken Out Due To "optimization"

fatpig84

No, that's a stupid comparison. Your examples give the end user no choice in getting harmed. You seem to forget once again that these are OPTIONS that can be activated or deactivated at will.

If you add in poorly optimised effects that only work on the highest percentage of PCs then I also don't have a choice as to whether I get harmed, as I can't control what settings my host is using other than playing solo, and so when he inevitably crashes and throws away any effort the team has put in everybody suffers.

Again, I've stated over and over again that I'm happy for DE to add as many new and fantastic effects as they like. However, they have to be well optimised to ensure that they're unlikely to crash the game out in normal circumstances on the average PC. Almost all of the effects that have been removed weren't removed because they required high-end PCs to use, they were removed because they didn't perform in a way that DE felt was acceptable. There isn't some conspiracy afoot where DE wants the game to look like crap, they're simply being a responsible and deliberate developer who made a decision to cut features that they clearly felt weren't adequate.

@Attley

You're arguing against options and choice for the sake of people who don't know how to configure their graphics options right on their machines. I think you're also underestimating most people who play on low-end machines. I know lots of WF players who run off intergrated graphics... they know full well to keep everything on low. Except v-sync for some reason... everyone leaves that on even though it lags your inputs. It should be off by default but it's always default on in 90% of games which is frustrating.

Anyway, more options is good no matter what you seem to think of people setting their computers on fire. Doesn't WF auto detect and adjust settings? I even see a laptop/desktop option which I assume is to do with power usage. If people go into graphics and set everything to high on a toaster then there's really no stopping them from doing this with any game. They can even override WF's settings in their GPU CP.

You're also arguing that other players' settings are causing problems for you. Aren't 1/10 WF players still on XP? Most people use wireless which causes huge latency and just playing with other people causes performance issues. If it's to the point where they're CTD'ing then damn they need to sort out their settings because I'm sure they'll be more frustrated by that than you since it'll happen to them all the time where as only once with you assuming you never see them again. Play with friends then. I seldom play with pubs... with my clan and other friends on mumble most of the time. They're like-minded and even though some of them are on toasters we never get disconnects related to machine performance it's always usualy network hiccups that nobody has control over. Seriously peolpe demand too many changes based on playing with pubs. Pubs will never be a good experience, ok? Hampering the game in any way for the sake of you having a less-than-crap time with some over-seas nobody on wireless hand-me-down laptop doesn't in fact make the game better.

Again, I've stated over and over again that I'm happy for DE to add as many new and fantastic effects as they like. However, they have to be well optimised to ensure that they're unlikely to crash the game out in normal circumstances on the average PC. Almost all of the effects that have been removed weren't removed because they required high-end PCs to use, they were removed because they didn't perform in a way that DE felt was acceptable. There isn't some conspiracy afoot where DE wants the game to look like crap, they're simply being a responsible and deliberate developer who made a decision to cut features that they clearly felt weren't adequate.

hehehe. Gods.

So a "responsible developer" doesn't just put a standard feature set in a default settings package. And for example put "experimental effects" on the ones they haven't optimized well yet. Instead a responsible developer remove the effects completely, because just having them in the game entices stupid kids to make their computer run more sluggish. And a responsible developer treat their player base as if they are at best simplistic in the way they think. Because anything else is going to give them bad press, because users are superficial and dim, and easily influenced.

No offence, guy - but do people normally become extremely impressed with anything you say, so you've never had to actually think about what you're arguing before? Or do you simply get praised as a rule when underestimating groups of people, in this case "normal users", to the point where you insult them for being compete idiots?

------

To op: you can add movement animation sets and tileset complexity to the list as well. They streamlined the tileset traversal logic a while back (parkour 2.0), and reduced the number of combinations for tilesets, etc (making things easier to test, and easier to develop .. which they then answered by putting enough frills on each tileset slot in the Moon tilset so it'll slow down any computer anyway, etc. ....*shrug*).

And the movement animations for each frame is something that takes a lot of time to develop, and I think removing some of the traversal jumping and leaping, along with the wallrun, etc., could (read: making the wall-hold generic, so you don't have to account for frame height or arm size, etc., makes tweaking it easier) have been a way to shorten the amount of assembly line hold-ups for new frames.

Of course, choices like that are generally irreversible, since adding new animations again later would mean going through all the animations again from start to finish, for all old and new content. I.e., you always simplify when you start making "effectiveness" choices like this. And you never reverse them, even if for example the total amount of work time for the more streamlined model is still high, and gives you less impressive output compared to before.

If you add in poorly optimised effects that only work on the highest percentage of PCs then I also don't have a choice as to whether I get harmed, as I can't control what settings my host is using other than playing solo, and so when he inevitably crashes and throws away any effort the team has put in everybody suffers.

If you're going down that route, why not give the game GLQuake-level graphics and be done with it. That way you can guarantee that everyone will run it fast. And take away all graphics options - can't have people turning on mip-mapping so that their 486 ruins your game.

None of you seem to be reading what I'm writing. I've said over and over again that I'm all for DE introducing new graphics options that are well optimised for their level. However, almost all of the examples of effects that have been removed were removed not because they required a decent PC, but because DE felt that they required too many resources for too little pay-off. If they want to reintroduce all of the removed features (and I'm sure they do) then great, that would be awesome, but they clearly took them away because they felt that they weren't adequate, and I have no problem with a developer deciding that they want to remove something that performs poorly while they work on improving and optimising it.

Nobody is asking for DE to strip out everything until it runs on an iPhone, only that they work to make sure that any options added to the game aren't overly taxing. I want all of the features that have been stripped out back, I just don't want them back in the state they were in (mostly, some of the features that have been removed weren't particularly taxing).

This is my fundamental problem with the OP: the assumption that everything that has been removed was removed to appease people with low-end PCs. Given that, as all of you have pointed out, most people know how much their PC can handle it would seem that DE didn't remove any of the graphical options due to people on 10 year old computers complaining that their integrated graphics couldn't handle PhysX, but because DE themselves didn't feel the effect was working properly.

This is my fundamental problem with the OP: the assumption that everything that has been removed was removed to appease people with low-end PCs.

Read this, people.

A responsible developer cares about giving options that work and removing ones that cause problems. They can reintroduce the removed options at a later date, but complaining without knowing the real reason they were removed is quite hilarious. Optimization isn't spitting in the face of high end users.

Why avoid using a word when they're using it exactly as it's meant to be used? This is the same type of attitude that has made it impossible to use medical terms in today's world because you might offend someone's sensibilities. They're elitists. It's just that simple.

----------

I'd be in favor of them being an option, but the reason this game has become more and more optimized is because DE is a business. They have more to think about than your hardon for pretty graphics that are ultimately meaningless.

Again, the only reason I mentioned that is because it causes more unnecessary heat. That's precisely why it is important to use the "right" word. Or maybe to not use it. It's not about "hurting the sensibility" of anyone, it's about keeping things from devolving into plain insults thrown all over the forums for no other reason than throwing insults all over the forums. And if using the "right" word is the way to go, then what's the point of filters then? Why can't I use words like "BS" without having to "circumvent" the damn thing? Because it may or may not hurt someone else's "sensibilities"? Double standard much? Also I never heard of that issue with medical terms. What's it about?

The game has not just been optimized, it's also been downgraded. DE is indeed a business, and I did mention that they probably did it to cut costs and focus their efforts somewhere they judged they were needed more. Doesn't mean this way of doing "business" is beyond reproach. I do not have a hardon for super duper graphics. I just don't have a hardon for mediocrity either. And do not tell me DE doesn't have the money or skill to both optimize and cater to as many specs as possible while making tidy profits. That would be beyond bull.

Using a different character to make sure your censored word does not get censored by a filter is literally what filter circumvention means and it is generally against the policy and rules of most online communities. So yes, filter circumvention is a thing, and yes, you did it. 

Not that it offends me, I swear like a sailor, but it's bad form and technically breaking forum rules.

Alright, alright. I'm sorry for trying to avoid misunderstandings. I'm sorry for breaking the forum rules because I want to use the "right", or most fitting words just like you, and make myself as clear as can be. But again, I apologise, evidently filters are very dear to you heart. Rules are rules, however dumb and contradictory they may be, message received.