Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

TennoGen skins all sticking to a common coloring practice

Larsurus

May I suggest adding a preferred criteria to the guidelines in regards to color channels? E.g. what the developers suggest the order and areas in which each color channel should paint a frame? Like tint 4 always being the metal channel as an example.

Something in the order of:

Tint 1 - main color that covers the largest areas of the frame
Tint 2 - secondary color
Tint 3 - detailing color
Tint 4 - metal tint or secondary detailing color

This mostly to ensure compatibility with other items in the game, like vanilla helmets matching with TennoGen skins or other TennoGen helmets for that matter. It would be sad to find the perfect combo of skins and helmets not matching due to mixed color channels.

I'm having this problem with the Mag Dipole skin. The color channels are all mixed up and it looks ugly with any helmet other then the one it comes with. I normally run with the Arcane Coil Helmet and it just looks terrible with the Mag Dipole skin due to the color channels mismatching.

Oh yes please. This needs to not only be a thing for Tennogen but be a rule for all skins that DE themselves make too. There's more than one skin in game (don't know which ones offhand) that has given me issues with this sorta thing. Take all of the +1s I can give you... which is 1.

Well, to be fair, not even all of the DE made items follow that formula. And to be honest, some of them work better for it.

However, it would be wise, I believe, for content creators to try their skin/helmet with other skins/helmets for that frame. Of course, DE would have to provide said assets.

9 hours ago, KaraOgata said:

Well, to be fair, not even all of the DE made items follow that formula. And to be honest, some of them work better for it.

However, it would be wise, I believe, for content creators to try their skin/helmet with other skins/helmets for that frame. Of course, DE would have to provide said assets.

Or they could just check in game and see what color boxes affect what. It's not that hard. 

9 hours ago, KaraOgata said:

They do provide assets under Help - Content Files and Examples, which provides the mesh and its relevant textures.

Edited by alexmach1

The problem is regular skins rarely have metal parts and tint4 is usually used for small details that sometimes barely visible. But on most recent primes, tint4 colors the golden parts which is a very prominent feature. Not to mention there are also immortal skins. Rather than making standard, it really should be handled case by case.

Well it goes without saying that one should follow existing tint mapping when working on existing assets (skins, helmets for warframes) - which doesn't always adhere to the guidelines you've proposed - but when it comes to Syandanas or weapon swaps or full-body skins there's really no way to "standardize" the process, each design problem is solved differently.

12 hours ago, alexmach1 said:

They do provide assets under Help - Content Files and Examples, which provides the mesh and its relevant textures.

There are no alt helmets or alt skins that we could use to test compatibility of skins and helmets if we wish to make them interchangeable, have to either rip the files manually or compose screenshots in photoshop which isn't ideal.
This also applies to prime meshes, extra geometry on top of base mesh can break the flow of the skin severely and stuff like Frost where his neck is different to that of his Prime (prime is thinner, causes clipping) which can introduce pure guesswork into helmet design.

Edited by Artarrwen

On 4/2/2016 at 8:04 PM, DesuEx said:

Or they could just check in game and see what color boxes affect what. It's not that hard. 

This is a possibility, but it might still not be enough to see how exactly stuff fits. In a business where even little white lines can completely ruin something, not being able to see exactly how things interact can ruin stuff, especially the more out-of-the-box stuff. To have all the assets on hand to test combinations out would be a great boon. But standardizing would, in my opinion, close gates that I think we, as a community, would rather have open.

On 4/2/2016 at 8:13 PM, alexmach1 said:

I meant assets of pre-existing alt skins and helmets. Currently, we only have the standard skin and helmet from each frame we're allowed to edit. Having the alternate helmets and skins would be pretty helpful when determining how your content interacts with the pre-existing stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

really glad I found this post.  I was gonna buy the dipole skin and noticed that the colors were reversed between the primary and the accent channels, which would make my coil helm look terrible.  Trying to use a black base color with gold coils and white and red stripes on the dipole skin results in a white coil helmet with mostly yellow accents and a few touches of red...  This ought to be fixed.  Bottom line: anyone who figures this out before buying is not likely to buy the skin.  I know I won't.

Edited by Guest