Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why superman ruins everything

Sixty5

Well I saw Batman vs Superman on the weekend, and I enjoyed it (come at me nerds) 

However as always, I had some gripes with it. One of those being Superman. 

I've never liked superman really, and I thought I'd share why. 

My biggest issue with superman is that he is too damn strong, in every sense. Batman fighting 12 goons with guns and knives makes for a cool fight scene, superman on the other hand could ignore them until they get tired and walk away. No amount of stabby stabby or shooty shooty will do anything to him. This is what creates the next problem. For superman to have an 'interesting' fight his opponent needs to be on the same level as him, and even then, everything else breaks before superman. 

He is the ultimate Ex Machina, as in he shows up, stuff happens, and then he wins. 

He has his weaknesses, but they all seem to have been done to death, and by now feel like weak writing. Even when a city sized chunk of kryptonite is involved (Superman Returns) it still seems like he just supermans his way through. 

The whole character seems so Mary sue that I find it hard to enjoy that content. 

Anyways enough rambling. Tldr, superman sucks

Edited by Sixty5
Premature post-ulation, it happens to all of us

If you don't like Superman, you'd hate the Martian Manhunter. He has all of Superman's powers, and some that Superman doesn't even have, and no weaknesses. 

1 hour ago, Sixty5 said:

The whole character seems so Mary sue that I find it hard to enjoy that content. 

The correct term would be 'Gary Stu'. 

3 minutes ago, (XB1)A Frikn Grizzly said:

If you don't like Superman, you'd hate the Martian Manhunter. He has all of Superman's powers, and some that Superman doesn't even have, and no weaknesses. 

The correct term would be 'Gary Stu'. 

Pretty sure Martian Manhunter is weak to fire there bruh

And nah he's enough of a b**** that Mary Sue is appropriate 

Edited by Sixty5

18 minutes ago, Gelkor said:

In Dawn of Justice, yes, but better writers can do better stories with any character.

About the only thing that has superman in it that I have liked is Injustice, Gods Among Us, and that was because of the direction the story took, and not Superman's character within it

19 minutes ago, Sixty5 said:

About the only thing that has superman in it that I have liked is Injustice, Gods Among Us, and that was because of the direction the story took, and not Superman's character within it

And part of that is about the people writing it, not the character.  There is a reason why every superman-analogue Alan Moore has written (because DC wouldn't let him write Superman) have been such good characters, they are literally Superman, but with a skilled writer at the helm.  Hell, Moore's don't even have weaknesses, just egos and problems worthy of their talents.  It's not the powers of a character, it's the person writing how the powers are used.

If Supes wasn't in Dawn of Justice, it would still be a dreary poorly-lit plodding piece about middle-aged rage-face Batman shooting people with guns and murdering dudes with his car.

Edited by Gelkor

he's perfect. And thats a problem. Power fantasies get boring after a while. When victory is ensured a priori, there is no point even writing a story, because the same ending is inevitable. He is not "human". In the end, the only way to make him interesting is to make him evil, and that he as already been done.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Tomplexthis said:

Superman cant lose

Its his whole gimmick to be overpowered 

He has no limits, no restrictions 

And just cause hes superman,he beats everything 

Hes just meh

People that have a good "never can lose" premise would only be...

average_saitama_wallpaper_by_dopplerdefeSadly they couldn't incorporate Superman well in the cinematic universe :/

Look at Thor and Hulk, they're considered to be some of the strongest characters in the Marvel Universe but they don't cheese the entire movies and they actually struggle in some cases.

2 hours ago, Freelancer27 said:

So, am I the only one who finds Batman carrying lots of guns (in his vehicles, gun turrets and even by hand in particular) a sign of completely bad writing?

No? Okay.

Well I guess it's because some people are considering this an Elseword story.

10 hours ago, izzatuw said:

People that have a good "never can lose" premise would only be...

average_saitama_wallpaper_by_dopplerdefeSadly they couldn't incorporate Superman well in the cinematic universe :/

Look at Thor and Hulk, they're considered to be some of the strongest characters in the Marvel Universe but they don't cheese the entire movies and they actually struggle in some cases.

Flash is the most overpowered though, 

Superman, Thor, Hulk, Wolverine

none of them, could beat One Man Punch

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Tomplexthis said:

Flash is the most overpowered though, 

Superman, Thor, Hulk, Wolverine

none of them, could beat One Man Punch

Can't they just shoot One Man Punch with a 28mm sniper rifle from a mile away?

2 minutes ago, Basdiow said:

Can't they just shoot One Man Punch with a 28mm sniper rifle from a mile away?

he would just catch it with his teeth.

dude caught a kunai that was thrown by a guy who is basically flash, and he wasnt even trying

Saitama was designed to be just plainly overpowered

but then again, superman wins, cause superman, probably

Supes jumped from 15,000 light years away to earth in like 1 second

thats just what the heck, it was in the comics

Eh, the fights are predictable, the dialogue is lacking and he always does what society at the time decides whats "right"

Batman however....mmmm...Batman is amazing.  He has no super powers, just money ( which may be considered a super power these days) and does what's right for his city, even if that means hurting himself, emotionally and/or physically.  

He can't be corrupted nor swayed to do something "wrong" because he puts careful thought, research and weighs the benefits before acting, nor is he likely to do something "evil" for the good of a few that he considers family, because he feels alone. 

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Tomplexthis said:

he would just catch it with his teeth.

dude caught a kunai that was thrown by a guy who is basically flash, and he wasnt even trying

Saitama was designed to be just plainly overpowered

but then again, superman wins, cause superman, probably

Supes jumped from 15,000 light years away to earth in like 1 second

thats just what the heck, it was in the comics

Nope, he would break his teeth if he tried to catch it, the bullet would be too strong and fast.