The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

There are no southerners in Warframe

Chef_Lu_Bu

49 minutes ago, --Skitz0-- said:

Come on down to this here relay hoss and give Baro them there dew cats and he will be happyer then a Kew bro with two peckers.

you sir, have won an internet for that. Purely for making me think about all the times I've heard similar words from people I grew up around. (obviously the same but different in the aspect of using RL people/dog where baro, relay and kubrow were used.)

2 minutes ago, Basdiow said:

So, Chef_Lu_Bu, do you speak like a cowboy with big bucked teeth saying 'Yee-ha' all the time? Or do you just talk about Moonshine constantly? Or do you just smoke pot all the time?

Uh, I say Y'all and yontu and things of that nature. I discuss normal work stuff. I don't smoke and gave up drinking a while ago. <_< I like cooking. I do have buck teeth though. I'm pretty sensitive about it.

1 minute ago, Chef_Lu_Bu said:

Uh, I say Y'all and yontu and things of that nature. I discuss normal work stuff. I don't smoke and gave up drinking a while ago. <_< I like cooking. I do have buck teeth though. I'm pretty sensitive about it.

People actually have buck teeth? I thought that was just a Cartoon-ish thing. 

The more you know.

5 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

Are those good?  I've heard that they're good.  

You gotta make 'em right. The part where it most often goes wrong is the "muddling;" it really pays to take your time and crush the mint well. An inferior muddle will leave you wondering where your mint went.

One little flourish I'm personally fond of is to add a little bit of light honey to the syrup after I've measured the amount that's going into this batch. Medium and dark honeys just haven't worked out for me; I think maybe they smother the mint too much. I like clover honey, but it might not work well depending on our bourbon of choice.

12 minutes ago, Basdiow said:

People actually have buck teeth? I thought that was just a Cartoon-ish thing. 

The more you know.

Well.. cartoons do typically exaggerate features like buck teeth for humor. Like caricature drawings.

caricatures-of-famous-people-12.jpg

Edited by AXCrusnik

1 minute ago, Chef_Lu_Bu said:

I generally have a somewhat hard time discerning accents unless they´re made painfully obvious to me, even in my own country where I cannot even tell if someone comes from the capital or not, but if you speak in the way done in that video posted earlier, I must say it sounds far more comfortable than I thought it would. The vid was somewhat entertaining, I´ll admit while it comes to topic.

Back on the actual topic however, is there really a need to go for extra lengths to create lingual diversity for a game based in the far-future? I feel people are a little too attached to certain pieces of their identities, if they really need to have their general linguistic traits replicated by the things they hear in the game. 

1 minute ago, notlamprey said:

You gotta make 'em right. The part where it most often goes wrong is the "muddling;" it really pays to take your time and crush the mint well. An inferior muddle will leave you wondering where your mint went.

One little flourish I'm personally fond of is to add a little bit of light honey to the syrup after I've measured the amount that's going into this batch. Medium and dark honeys just haven't worked out for me; I think maybe they smother the mint too much. I like clover honey, but it might not work well depending on our bourbon of choice.

...will you be my bartender when I take over the world?

2 minutes ago, notlamprey said:

god a poorly muddled mint julip should be a criminal offence.

1 minute ago, Robin-da-Reaper said:

I generally have a somewhat hard time discerning accents unless they´re made painfully obvious to me, even in my own country where I cannot even tell if someone comes from the capital or not, but if you speak in the way done in that video posted earlier, I must say it sounds far more comfortable than I thought it would. The vid was somewhat entertaining, I´ll admit while it comes to topic.

Back on the actual topic however, is there really a need to go for extra lengths to create lingual diversity for a game based in the far-future? I feel people are a little too attached to certain pieces of their identities, if they really need to have their general linguistic traits replicated by the things they hear in the game. 

I feel like, when you look at Sci-fi's greatest hits, you see a massive amount of diversity and representation of a multitude of peoples. That's what get's so many folks on board, imo, is the representation. Look at every star trek cast, look at the TFA cast. It's bigger than we realized before, but it's not something that can't very easily be done now.

5 minutes ago, Chef_Lu_Bu said:

I feel like, when you look at Sci-fi's greatest hits, you see a massive amount of diversity and representation of a multitude of peoples. That's what get's so many folks on board, imo, is the representation. Look at every star trek cast, look at the TFA cast. It's bigger than we realized before, but it's not something that can't very easily be done now.

I´m still confused as to why people feel attracted by that. I´m a Star Trek fan too btw, though I never even thought of what characters might share any origin with myself(Scandinavian, btw). Are they looking for cultural comfort? I feel Star Trek looks relatively successful in creating a somewhat "neutral" feel on it in the national sense, even though I feel the "United" in the Federation's full name term is somewhat overrated and a little too "American"(usually. I was glad the term was not used in "Systems Alliance" in Mass Effect for instance), although unsurprising when the authors are taken into the picture.

I can understand if people feel drawn to what they are accustomed to and identify with, in theory, but I would someday like to see more people who can shed that shell...

1 minute ago, Robin-da-Reaper said:

I´m still confused as to why people feel attracted by that. I´m a Star Trek fan too btw, though I never even thought of what characters might share any origin with myself(Scandinavian, btw). Are they looking for cultural comfort? I feel Star Trek looks relatively successful in creating a somewhat "neutral" feel on it in the national sense, even though I feel the "United" in the Federation's full name term is somewhat overrated and a little too "American"(usually. I was glad the term was not used in "Systems Alliance" in Mass Effect for instance), although unsurprising when the authors are taken into the picture.

I can understand if people feel drawn to what they are accustomed to and identify with, in theory, but I would someday like to see more people who can shed that shell...

I think it's probably more genetic and bred into us tribally than we really realize.

Why does any community has to get infected with this crap? Why does warframe has to have characters with all actents we know? What, you dont feel represented? Why do you have to be represented as you are in a VIDEO GAME? Its a work of art, its functional but still art, the world of this game is fictional. Deal with it, there is no need to change the game to suit your representation standard just as noone will change Mona Lisa to look like you for you to be represented. You have a problem dear sir, not with teh game but with your unrealistic needs.

Fiction is not reality, thus there is not need to change it to look more like reality since it fiction.

2 hours ago, Chef_Lu_Bu said:

*drinks more tea*

*gets space diabetes*

Died. I'm dead.

On topic, however, after generations of dialects mixing with the populations and masses, likely none of the current accents would exist, and would have instead slowly morphed into a relatively universal one applied to the basic language. The different regions of space might not have different accents, either, simply due to the ease of access to conversation and the constant communication between the different areas. Current accents exist because of region separation and relative segregation (not necessarily in a bad way. "You do you and I'll do me" kind of stuff) between different places. In a world where that doesn't happen, language and culture would be relatively uniform. 

I live in northern Florida, right near 'Bama, so you could imagine what I deal with on a regular basis. I don't miss the accent in a game where I hardly ever hear people speak.