Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soma Prime or Opticor? Which to max first?

Christopaz

Question

I'll have Opticor built in a few hours while my Soma Prime sits at rank 8. The thing is I am getting bored of my bow Paris Prime [Maxed at 4 formas] (I know there are better bows out there *cough* Dread and Rakta Cernos *cough*), and I need something new to try.

Soma Prime is a decent assault rifle, gosh I am not so used to reloading tho but I can get used to it.

Opticor looks decent, and it's a freaking laser cannon why would you not build it?

But which to max first?

I know Opticor's not as crit reliant as Soma Prime so I may have to rank new mods for it, but that's cool I got Hieracon with me.

Really confused, any advice?

15 answers to this question

I'm not sure if you knew of it, but the Soma Prime can be easily reload-cancelled to nearly halve the time required for a full clip replenish.

I usually hit quick melee (E by default on PC) just after the timer has passed the halfway stage  (6 o'clock on a normal analogue clockface) to cut down the time.

It amounts to something like 1.6s to fully reload it on standard loadouts, which actually turns out to be quite good, and almost on par with silent weapon reload times.

I personally use both weapons, but the Soma Prime has a wider range of uses for my playstyles. It's more of a general purpose weapon in that sense so I'd probably recommend you max it first, of the two.

If you're getting tired of bows, Opticor might be a bit too much old hat.  Charging mechanism is similar to a bow, and can't be held - it fires immediately after reaching full charge (though it can be fired at half charge if released early).  If you're looking for a different feel, and a good all rounder, Soma's almost definitely a better bet.

Opticor and Soma are completely different styles of Weapons... chose whichever, both are more than usable.

35 minutes ago, Christopaz said:

The thing is I am getting bored of my bow Paris Prime

(I know there are better bows out there *cough* Dread and Rakta Cernos *cough*), and I need something new to try.

Opticor is... like a Bow. it's actually a lot like a Bow.

Paris Prime and Dread are effectively equal. only Rakta Cernos is superior, w/ being able to apply ~23% more Elemental Damage than the other Bows, while Charging much faster.

10 hours ago, SergeiTheBeast said:

tell that to all the vets of this game. They are still the go to weapons of this game. Hate them all you want, the math is there to support it.

Go to as in overused. Gonna agree with @ClinkzEastwood on this, they aren't the best anymore. Dex Sybaris, (vaykor) Hek, (sancti) Tigris, Tonkor, Amprex (assuming you shoot it into a crowd) and Rubico can outdamage them both. The builder is only showing single target dps without accounting what status procs, hitting more than one target, etc. As solid enough as they are to bring into a mission, they are not the best weapon

As others have said, the Opticor feels more like a bow to play, and doesn't really shine until it's got a few forma and you can stick Shred and also Vile Acceleration (without losing much damage, i.e. from a high damage base of mods), so that the "charge" to full power goes really fast.  Then it's an absolute beast of a weapon, with gigantic damage.

Soma Prime is much, MUCH easier to use - it's pretty much the king of "spray and pray" gun style.