Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Profanity Clan Names, wtf?

se7enek

Question

19 answers to this question

Just now, InglriousB said:

I don't see anything wrong with it. Then again it seems like nowadays everything you say is violent and profanity, so what do I know?

Well, Analizers is a bit of a stretch but it has "anal" in it.  For the other, put a space after "the" and see what happens. 

Just now, Noamuth said:

Well, Analizers is a bit of a stretch but it has "anal" in it.  For the other, put a space after "the" and see what happens. 

But that's obviously the fun of the name. 

See there are many people who are serious in all they do. I'm not, I like to have a laugh. I'm never starting a day thinking: "let's have a serious day". I rather think: "Let's have a laugh today" and that's what a clan name like this is all about

Just now, InglriousB said:

See there are many people who are serious in all they do. I'm not, I like to have a laugh. I'm never starting a day thinking: "let's have a serious day". I rather think: "Let's have a laugh today" and that's what a clan name like this is all about

Without getting too deep into issues; the second name can be pretty offensive and traumatizing for some.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good pun, but there are some that just aren't suited to public consumption in a video game, simply due to the issues it'd cause.  

4 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

Without getting too deep into issues; the second name can be pretty offensive and traumatizing for some.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good pun, but there are some that just aren't suited to public consumption in a video game, simply due to the issues it'd cause.  

I'm the last person that would ever crack a rape joke, but 'therapy' and 'therapist' are perfectly innocuous words. I feel they're simple too common to censor just on the principle that it has a bad word hidden in it. That's like saying 'pass' is vulgar because it has '&#!' in it. It's not even a pun.

Just now, AM-Bunny said:

I'm the last person that would ever crack a rape joke, but 'therapy' and 'therapist' are perfectly innocuous words. I feel they're simple too common to censor just on the principle that it has a bad word hidden in it. That's like saying 'pass' is vulgar because it has '&#!' in it. It's not even a pun.

True, I guess I got a little carried away with the idea of therapist being a pun of something else.  

My bad. 

13 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

Analizers is a bit of a stretch

Noa, please tell me this was intentional.

2 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

'therapist' are perfectly innocuous words

Granted, but if the clan name in an online video game is just that, there's no way it's meant as anything other than a rape pun.

14 minutes ago, (PS4)Cwellann said:

Granted, but if the clan name in an online video game is just that, there's no way it's meant as anything other than a rape pun.

I'll just say that I disagree, and I feel that making assumptions about people's intentions based completely on the fact they're playing a video game is poor taste.

40 minutes ago, se7enek said:

I always, in every game got clan name Analizers or Therapists and i cannot use them as clan names because of profanity check.

Some games filter out Assassins in their chat and naming schemes, imagine that when one of the primary classes is in fact assassin.  Profanity filters can be downright annoying at times.  Except for the rare instances where people actually are trying to bypass the filters to make lewd or crude jokes in which case "Hahaha!" but those are rare.

Sorry to hear, OP, but sometimes you just have to get creative to overcome the profanity filters.  

7 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

I'll just say that I disagree, and I feel that making assumptions about people's intentions based completely on the fact they're playing a video game is poor taste.

It could be completely true that their intentions are honest, but on the flip side the demographic of most video games would generally be male in their teens to early twenty's. I can't speak from a male point of view, but in my experience this age range tends to be on the immature side, finds these types of puns funny and will try to find the work around for the profanity filters their their name just so they say that did it.

Actually yes, i do know that these 2 clan names i use in other games may be offensive, but in my opinion its better to call a clan "Therapists" then "Rapists" and there is a WHOLE BIG difference between these two.

And i like the SeaUrchin's idea about "Uranus", which is similar to "anus" but much different between "YourAnus".

It isn't like it is a person who is sitting there checking every single clan name. It is a simple filter that just found the words rapist and anal and blocked it. You could probably even do some character substitution to get around it with a little creativity. As someone else said, it won't catch everything and it doesn't understand intentions behind any of the words.

Also, where do you buy domain names that it costs you $50? Costs me like $10 at the most.

6 hours ago, Noamuth said:

5 hours ago, InglriousB said:

Saying that the name shouldn't trigger a profanity check and then claiming that having a profaned word in it is the fun of it is kinda working a tiny bit against the case you're building here.