Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx skin+helmet WIP

2 minutes ago, KWANi said:

Kaz got two helmets in the game and they look perfectly fine. Its something on the artists end that made the skins look that way.

It might be. Although I do recall that some of the tennogen warframe files aren't set up for pbr, which might be to blame. Whatever it is, those skins are in the game now, so it's up to DE or the artists to fix them

1 minute ago, Zoracraft said:

Useful info. It wasn't included in zephyr's files, so I was confused when I saw it in Nyx's

Np

They probably started doing it with this next wave, since it would be easier to open up the files and look at them as a whole instead of having to manually plug in everything.

8 hours ago, Artarrwen said:

-snip- But Warframe-specific syandanas aren't a thing just yet, Nyx doesn't even have an auxiliary slot.
-snip-

The Auxiliary slots were added to allow the two Warframe-specific syandana (Valkyr's Bonds and Mortos) to coexist with regular, all-frame syandana. Just, in case you didn't know.

EDIT; The helmet looks glorious, and the skin looks pretty nice. What are you unhappy with/unsure about on the body, if I may ask?

Edited by KaraOgata
Totally didn't forget to actually comment on the skin. Nope. Not me.

8 hours ago, KWANi said:

I'm hoping this isn't going to be a trend, where everyone has to do a Helmet+Skin combo to get stuff into the game.

No?

I'll probably even end up submitting them separately and group them in a collection. The helmet is supposed to be neutral enough to be used with the default body, the skin will hopefully not clash with any of cosmetics you can put on Nyx.

And I could just do a helmet like I did three times already... or I could try something new. If I were actually following silly trends I'd be doing a skin for Nova or Excalibur. yep I said it

7 hours ago, Zoracraft said:

It guarantees that the skins will be compatible with at least one helmet. This can be clearly seen with the new Zephyr skins and the default (and Artarrwen's own) helmets, where the helmets refract light normally, and the skins barely reflect at all.

I don't know why the lighting behaves like this, but it currently does.

7 hours ago, KWANi said:

I don't see any of the helmets that got into the game clashing at all except for the Helm/Skin bundles.  Its something on the artists end that made the skins look that way if it was technical or overly conceptualized. If you design helmets to go with the default skin there shouldn't be that much clashing between designs.  The only bundle I've seen that did it good was the Skeiron, all the other bundles just really break the game immersion.

Yeah, exactly the kind of stuff I want to avoid. Body skin will likely retain similar material values and texture, though it probably won't be perfect due to it being PBR while Nyx by default isn't PBR. Since that alone isn't what causes some of the skins to clash like crazy I'm not too worried.

5 hours ago, LordOfScrugging said:

Hey, you think you can make one similar for excal that has 2 horns instead of one? would be interesting since nyx and excal are like brother/sister essentially.

Eh, the whole point was to remove Nyx from Excal's design. I don't know if the style I'm going for is going to fit Excalibur in the first place.

3 hours ago, KaraOgata said:

The Auxiliary slots were added to allow the two Warframe-specific syandana (Valkyr's Bonds and Mortos) to coexist with regular, all-frame syandana. Just, in case you didn't know.

Well I don't know if it's going to require any UI work to get a new auxiliary item for a Warframe that didn't have one before.

3 hours ago, KaraOgata said:

EDIT; The helmet looks glorious, and the skin looks pretty nice. What are you unhappy with/unsure about on the body, if I may ask?

It looks a tiny bit too random in places I think. Also not yet finished with hands and legs, don't even know if I need to change them much.

Edited by Artarrwen

Sigh, i know you've decided to hate me for whatever reason but let me give you a suggestion that has nothing to do with what you choose to make as your design or anything like that.

Be careful about Nyx, her prime version have major pieces of mesh that will cover your design and possibly (most likely) break the flow you're creating. It's a problem that's worrying me a lot right now at the point that i truly wish Visage don't get chosen so i can go back and remake it with this suggestion in mind (thanks to Arsenal again that made me notice that). I've already asked Kary if we can have those prime part on the models so we all can work including the prime parts for the future (even if we are not allowed to modify them) so that nobody would make that mistake again and all the players can enjoy our works on their prime warframes.

I hope this will help you to make the best work you can do, i know it's going to be awesome so keep up the good work :)

1 hour ago, HitsuSan said:

Sigh, i know you've decided to hate me for whatever reason

What? No?
Sorry if you believe so but I don't hate you. Have I somehow offended you? Sorry if so.

1 hour ago, HitsuSan said:

Be careful about Nyx, her prime version have major pieces of mesh that will cover your design and possibly (most likely) break the flow you're creating. It's a problem that's worrying me a lot right now at the point that i truly wish Visage don't get chosen so i can go back and remake it with this suggestion in mind (thanks to Arsenal again that made me notice that). I've already asked Kary if we can have those prime part on the models so we all can work including the prime parts for the future (even if we are not allowed to modify them) so that nobody would make that mistake again and all the players can enjoy our works on their prime warframes.

Yes I am well aware and hope they can do to Tennogen skins what they did to some of the weapon skins that revert Prime models back to default ones. Honestly I can't see why they wouldn't, especially considering they don't provide reference assets for Prime versions to ensure compatibility either.

Nvm then ^^ i just though you were on that bandwagon that started lately, my honest mistake.

Uhm that's actually a good point, they could revert them. I thought they just wanted a visual differentiation between a prime warframe and a normal one but recently primes are becoming more a remodel than just a reskin with additional parts so the tennogen skin will never work on a recent prime. We should point that out if they do another QA after this selection. Even if i've already wrote a message to Kari i feel like this should be something that every tennogen artist should be aware of for the moment.

2 hours ago, HitsuSan said:

Nvm then ^^ i just though you were on that bandwagon that started lately, my honest mistake.

Uhm that's actually a good point, they could revert them. I thought they just wanted a visual differentiation between a prime warframe and a normal one but recently primes are becoming more a remodel than just a reskin with additional parts so the tennogen skin will never work on a recent prime. We should point that out if they do another QA after this selection. Even if i've already wrote a message to Kari i feel like this should be something that every tennogen artist should be aware of for the moment.

Why do people hate you? You knocked Zephyr out of the park with the Hagoromo skin, and the Atala and Visage skins will sell well if they get in based on quality alone (I'm a fan of Atala because it reminds me of nyx :D). You and Artarrwen are basically brand names for tennogen, the rest of us are basically struggling to keep up. Some people will always go against the grain, and that's not always a bad thing. But don't let yourself get demotivated by them: Just make something so amazing that they shut up (which shouldn't be very hard for you guys).

On topic after that rousing speech:

Nyx's "prime parts" include a "corset" that I believe is colored by tint 1 and thigh guards that are also colored by tint 1. You can see dissonance and differentiate the tints by equipping the immortal skin on her. Also, as of press time, her gold parts are uncolorable, which makes it kind of difficult for us. These factors are important, because our skins will show everywhere else (including a little sliver between the two sides of her corset.). As such, we need to do research on nyx's prime pieces, and make our skins compatible with both her prime and regular forms.

Don't worry about that Zora :) this is not the place to talk about it and it doesn't matter the slightest cause i don't really care ^^ it always happens, i just wrongly thought that Artarrwen was one of them for some reason.

You're right about the prime parts, they are almost flat surfaces with the style of the prime warframe so it looks very bad on a different line language : \ 

43 minutes ago, Zoracraft said:

Nyx's "prime parts" include a "corset" that I believe is colored by tint 1 and thigh guards that are also colored by tint 1. You can see dissonance and differentiate the tints by equipping the immortal skin on her. Also, as of press time, her gold parts are uncolorable, which makes it kind of difficult for us. These factors are important, because our skins will show everywhere else (including a little sliver between the two sides of her corset.). As such, we need to do research on nyx's prime pieces, and make our skins compatible with both her prime and regular forms.

I don't see any other solution to this other than DE allowing certain skins to remove Prime geometry.

I mean I could study every inch of a Warframe's body and then just guess where the extra geometry lines up but I feel like I shouldn't have to because let's face it, it's a little absurd.

47 minutes ago, Artarrwen said:

I don't see any other solution to this other than DE allowing certain skins to remove Prime geometry.

I mean I could study every inch of a Warframe's body and then just guess where the extra geometry lines up but I feel like I shouldn't have to because let's face it, it's a little absurd.

Yeah, it is a bit obsurd that we have to make this thing compatible with both with no way to test if it would be compatible with Nyx Prime. Maybe DE could make an option that when someone equips a warframe skin on a prime, they get the option to use the prime geometry or standard geometry. This could also help some issues with immortal skins as well.

EDIT: Also, this way someone could make a skin compatible for both, so that people have more options if they like the prime geometry.

Edited by Zoracraft
Thought of another point

4 hours ago, Zoracraft said:

Why do people hate you? You knocked Zephyr out of the park with the Hagoromo skin, and the Atala and Visage skins will sell well if they get in based on quality alone (I'm a fan of Atala because it reminds me of nyx :D). You and Artarrwen are basically brand names for tennogen, the rest of us are basically struggling to keep up. Some people will always go against the grain, and that's not always a bad thing. But don't let yourself get demotivated by them: Just make something so amazing that they shut up (which shouldn't be very hard for you guys).

On topic after that rousing speech:

I just checked, the prime parts use tint 2, not one.

23 hours ago, Zoracraft said:

It might be. Although I do recall that some of the tennogen warframe files aren't set up for pbr, which might be to blame. Whatever it is, those skins are in the game now, so it's up to DE or the artists to fix them

Don't worry about PBR stuff, go with metalness workflow on everything and you'll be A+ good. They will add whatever you're missing in terms of PBR detail.

They did that on the Chroma helmet, for example... there are no scales or leather-like details on the content files provided, but they added them in (probably in Substance Painter, with presets they used on the rest of the body) after I submitted my files. I think they do have some of their Substance Painter stuff somewhere out there.

Long explanation of PBR/Metalness vs Specular here:
http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-conversion

Sorry to off-topic!

I am super looking forward to the progress of this skin/helmet, this is my favorite helmet so far in TennoGen uggghghhh.

Looks great! The Ant/Wasp design reminds me of 'Ophiocordyceps unilateralis', AKA the Zombie Fungus. It takes control of the host's mind ((In this case the ant)) and pilots them towards the underside of a leaf where they eventually expire and release fungal spores. Maybe a name for the skin taken from the scientific name would be cool? :^)

Love the helmet design, and the body looks good too. I was thinking maybe a few protrusions around the shoulders in the same style as the helmet would look interesting and help add some extra detail, but it still looks fantastic without it too.

It's nice to see an interesting Nyx skin for a change, good job!

19 hours ago, Artarrwen said:

Well I don't know if it's going to require any UI work to get a new auxiliary item for a Warframe that didn't have one before.

It looks a tiny bit too random in places I think. Also not yet finished with hands and legs, don't even know if I need to change them much.

With no knowledge of the coding required, the fact that it's in place already makes me think it wouldn't be a big problem. Which isn't a "They're being lazy", just an observation and guess.

Hm. I see some spots that look like they break the flow a little, so I think that's what you're talking about. On the sides, just above the hips? Maybe that's just me. Not going the way I imagine it would, so to speak, so it might mean nothing at all, as I'm not the creator.
I think the only problem I have is that it seems almost cluttered. With the idea that you're trying to set it apart from the standard, and that I haven't seen color patterns yet, I still kinda get lost looking at it, if that makes sense. Again, maybe just me.

Still, it looks wicked, and I'm eager to see the finished product, if only to drool and cry over my lack of funds. XP

Just a thought: the mustaches also used an auxiliary slot. They attached to the head, but the UI work is there. Whenever you wanted to wear a mustache with the Mortos on Nekros, the Mortos would disconnect for the mustache.

So perhaps it's not such a big deal, dunno!

All equip able items require attachment points which are already put by DE. And every weapons, Syandana and armors are attached differently on different warframes because every warframes have their own attachment points for different items. Only Nekros and Valkyr have their own extra attachment points for their bonds. So it isn't just about adding extra slots on the UI and the auxiliary cosmetics will be magically attached to the warframes.