Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Final thoughts on Dark Souls 3 (spoiler free!)

TheErebus.

6 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

Yeah, it's certainly confusing. The flavour text on Lucatiel's armour clearly designates it as her armour, not just some generic Mirrah set, so it seems that it must take place after DkS2.

However, DkS2 seemed to be set very, very far after DkS1 chronologically. The names of the places, Gods, and lands from DkS1 had all been lost to time. That's the main reason that it's so conspicuous that there are all these DkS1 references in DkS3. Were all these things just miraculously re-discovered? It seems pretty odd.

Then again, time and space in Dark Souls is wonky as all hell. 

2 hours ago, Skycook3y said:

Season pass would be something for you then.

Should have done the season pass but kinda held back a little. 

1 hour ago, TheErebus. said:

They have 2 DLC packs coming out. 

Getting the DLC as it came out would be easier on the budget.

46 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

I haven't played very far into the game as my time with it has been limited, but I've got pretty mixed reactions on it. Generally favourable impression.

I really enjoy that the NPC Questlines have been expanded upon, but I really resent how easy they made it to miss and ruin their progression. It's practically impossible to do without a guide, which I find quite presumptuous and ridiculous. It spawns a conflict in the minds of players who wish to play through the game blind and enjoy themselves, but at the same time wish to gain at least some appreciation for the characters and quests associated with them. I feel it was good content, handled somewhat poorly.

As a big video game music enthusiast, I've always felt the soundtrack was a huge weakpoint for Dark Souls. It's always been bland, uninspired, and mushed together. This is rather odd, since I greatly enjoy the music in the Valkyrie Profile series, also by Motoi Sakuraba. The huge exception is the Firelink Shrine music in the original Dark Souls and a few other notable scores like Dark Sun Gwyndolin's music. Contrastingly, I loved the music in Bloodborne. Dark Souls 3 combines the two composers, and the result is satisfying enough. I don't think it lives up to Bloodborne's soundtrack.

~snip~

So true about the NPC quest lines impossible to follow without a guide. I also agree with your take on the soundtrack. I loved the Bloodborne more. It was haunting and spectacular and Dark Souls 3 sound more moody and tragic but its a good thing that they are not similar.

Does anyone have an idea of what Pickle Pee pump pa rum looks like? I kinda have a mental picture of a this. 

OhreallyBird.jpg

1 minute ago, LordOfScrugging said:

Maybe the DLC will patch things up. I personally think it'd be cool if we visit other locations from the first games to try and piece the lore together more. How far are you anyways.

Haha, not very far -- just finished Cursed Rotten Greatwood. I've looked up videos for a lot of the things that come later though, mostly just avoiding videos of bosses. 

1 minute ago, TheErebus. said:

Then again, time and space in Dark Souls is wonky as all hell. 

True, that element has always existed in the series, but it feels like now the entire story is hinging on it, which makes it feel very unstable and out-of-place. 

4 minutes ago, (PS4)makrisbrik said:

Should have done the season pass but kinda held back a little. 

Getting the DLC as it came out would be easier on the budget.

So true about the NPC quest lines impossible to follow without a guide. I also agree with your take on the soundtrack. I loved the Bloodborne more. It was haunting and spectacular and Dark Souls 3 sound more moody and tragic but its a good thing that they are not similar.

Does anyone have an idea of what Pickle Pee pump pa rum looks like? I kinda have a mental picture of a this. 

OhreallyBird.jpg

Pickle pee and pumpa rum are just what the crow calls things. there is a list of stuff you can trade and what you get:

https://www.primagames.com/games/dark-souls-3/tips/dark-souls-3-how-find-crows-nest-and-exchange-items

4 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

Haha, not very far -- just finished Cursed Rotten Greatwood. I've looked up videos for a lot of the things that come later though, mostly just avoiding videos of bosses. 

True, that element has always existed in the series, but it feels like now the entire story is hinging on it, which makes it feel very unstable and out-of-place. 

Ah, I think next is the road of sacrifice and then farron keep or cathedral of the deep. You also meet an npc that can determine your ending. A quick question though, have you talked to yoel of londor? He's on the bridge before the undead settlement.

Edited by LordOfScrugging

Just now, LordOfScrugging said:

Ah, I think next is the road of sacrifice and then farron keep or cathedral of the deep. You also meet an npc that can determine your ending. A quick question though, have you talked to yoel of londor?

Yeah, I found him and sent him back to Firelink, but I haven't spoken with him since or 'drawn out my strength'. Totally planning on going Hollow though later XD

My main concern is whether I have to slay the NPC's Yuria asks me to to continue that story line, because I dun wanna.

Looking forward to doing Road of Sacrifices so I can find Orbeck and a new Catalyst since I went Sorcerer. But yeah, haven't had much time to play it unfortunately.

1 hour ago, LordOfScrugging said:

Given they have anor londo in this game. what would you say to having some old areas from DS1, DS2, and maybe BB returning in a twisted sort of form with new weapons (and maybe old ones) I think we could see trick weapons with weapon arts now. Only a bit disappointed that you can't left hand the wolf knight greatsword and have the wolf knight greatshield in your right (btw it was so annoying farming 30 wolfblood swordgrass from those enemies in farron's keep)

BB was more like a post demon souls.

Dark Souls 3 looks great and all, but after the garbage that was pulled with Dark Souls 2 and Scholar of the First Sin, I'm really hesitant to invest at all in the series anymore.

For all I know, if I invest in the game and all its DLCs now, I'll get burnt later when they release another "full game + all DLCs + exclusive content and bugfixes" version. I don't like paying twice for a game in order to experience everything.

on top of looking f...ing beautiful, Dork Souls III from what i've seen seems to play a lot smoother, mainly being less clunky.

i'm hoping that is the case, and with the assumption that it is, i'm pushing through Dork Souls II much harder now, as i'd feel weird to just skip the rest of it(the like, 25% of the game that's left for me). which puts me in a bit of a bind there, as to whether do the 3 extra Bosses and what few optional ones may be left over after i've completed the main portion, or to skip and move on.

12 hours ago, TheErebus. said:

I'm kinda glad life gems are gone. I dunno but the idea of having those gems always on standby made the game feel a little easier. 

how many Life Gems you may have not withstanding - they were completely inferior to Estus most of the time. but also different, and that was interesting.
the gradual Heal meant it was much less of a safety net than Estus for Healing. but on the other hand, you could walk while crushing them, so you could be a bit more mobile to use one than Estus.
an interesting relation, with Estus usually being the completely superior choice.

being able to have dozens and dozens of them available is a different matter ofcourse. if you ask me, ideally, Players would have two types of Flasks, one as traditional, one more like Life Gems. both hard limited in uses in an area.
because tbh i'd use the gradual Heal more often, if i still retained the shorter animation time and being able to walk while using.

6 minutes ago, Nitresco said:

I don't like paying twice for a game in order to experience everything.

i don't either. i also set my bar in outer space, or even the next galaxy, so there has yet to be a game worth $60 or even $50 to me. might have been one at $40.
an enhanced version is fine by me because of this, because any big fancy game - there's no chance in hell i'm buying it probably within the first 5 months. people just don't make games outstanding enough for that.

27 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

Yeah, I found him and sent him back to Firelink, but I haven't spoken with him since or 'drawn out my strength'. Totally planning on going Hollow though later XD

My main concern is whether I have to slay the NPC's Yuria asks me to to continue that story line, because I dun wanna.

Looking forward to doing Road of Sacrifices so I can find Orbeck and a new Catalyst since I went Sorcerer. But yeah, haven't had much time to play it unfortunately.

I believe you need to do it now before killing the boss of farrons keep cause i think he dies after you beat them. Also, it's only one NPCthat gets killed for the storyline.

14 hours ago, TheErebus. said:

Conclusion: As the last game in the series, this is a very fitting end to it. I can easily say that it's the best in the series. There are 4 endings and so far the one I got was dark but fitting. 

My guess on which ending you got. SPOILERS DUH

you started the age of darkness and killed the Firekeeper at the end.