Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx Prime or Nova Prime

SatelliteStrike

Question

So while researching on fast endgame good frames I stumbled upon these 2. I want a frame that is good in any situations, can cc, go into sorties, raids etc. Also someone that let's you stay put a bit and fire some shots or get close for some melee. Which one of these gals can be used for sorties, raids, solo and stuff? Which is stronger and more importantly, more fun?

19 answers to this question

Nova has more utility/use endgame - she can slow, CC, and nuke - while Nyx relies a lot on enemy scaling, and at least in my experience, her abilities scale off at level 30-40+ missions. I haven't used her much, so I could be wrong - but as a regular Nova player I can vouch for her brilliance in endgame content!

If you do choose Nova, quick tip; if you play her right, her 2 is her true nuke. Molecular Prime still has great use in CC/slows, but Antimatter Drop has some insane potential

Well, if you want a main CC, then Nyx is your girl, as she can live for quite a bit as well

Nova tho, shes more of a CC/Int-Kill everything or Slow or Speed up, mobs, tho she is pretty much a glass-cannon

I whuold guess on a side of thing Nyx whuold be stronger, as Nyx can cause Chaos (pun interned), on the battle field, get people to fight one another, drawing attention away from you. With the Mind Freak Augment, you can pretty much mind control a heavy gunner and let her just wreck everything, She has her bubble power that makes her Immune to damage, sock it up, and then blast it at melee range or close range.

As for Nova, shes moreless good for a Slow/Fast build, that causes mobs to go quicker or slower, she has very high DPS on her powers, so she can pretty much melt anything low level/solo, as for high-levels, you can still dish out some good damage. She has a power that can TP her friends to get up to you.

Shes got a power you can fire and shoot at it, to build up DPS then let it explode and has a small power, that floats orbs around, damaging who gets to close, I think the Aug on it adds projection, unsure, been a while sease I played Nova.

Tho one thing for sure, Nova is very weak, and will get shot up pretty quickly 

Edited by LegionCynex

3 minutes ago, SatelliteStrike said:

Which one of the 2 can be (up to a certain level that is) used for some melee? Is it nova cause she can slow things down and is safer to get close? Or nyx cause stuff busy killing themselves and don't notice you so much?

Nyx for sure. While Nova can of course melee, she is very fragile, making it difficult unless you've already cast her 4

That's not to say Nova is useless for melee. Nyx is just the better choice

Edited by Cydro_

I think Nyx is really interesting to play and quite useful too. Controlling enemies is fun and her 4 can save your life. And her augments are nice too. Though other people in party may want you to use Nova more.

I love Nova, but the icon to the left will probably give you an idea who I love more.

Anyway, I won't repeat what everyone else has said, pretty much spot on except for the person who says Nyx's abilities scale off at level 30/40 (I mean, WTF, her abilities scale infinitely! I don't count Psychic Bolts!)

If you ever run an Eximus Infested mission you would absolutely want Nyx. When every enemy is buffing every other, being able to press one button that removes every buff cannot be beaten :) If you have ever seen the sortie shield drones buffing each other to stupid levels, you will appreciate Nyx.

In a similar way, pressing 3 in a hectic Void mission instantly stops Ancients buffing their allies with damage reduction, and shield drones protecting everything.

However, overall I'll say, get both.

Edited by Egg_Chen

Just that I am lazy to farm both. Maybe eventualy I will get both but just looking for something fun that goes high end and will help me learn how to play raids, sorties and stuff. Plus having fun. Stuff that instantly dies like my loki (enemies don't kill me, but slash and toxic procs do) I don't like. 

6 hours ago, SatelliteStrike said:

So while researching on fast endgame good frames I stumbled upon these 2. I want a frame that is good in any situations, can cc, go into sorties, raids etc. Also someone that let's you stay put a bit and fire some shots or get close for some melee. Which one of these gals can be used for sorties, raids, solo and stuff? Which is stronger and more importantly, more fun?

Both are top tier and capable of great cc and great damage, depends on whether you want to weight slightly more towards damage (Nova) or towards cc (Nyx).

"Fun" always depends on your definition of fun.  It doesn't mean the same thing to everyone.  General playstyle for Nova is hitting MP whenever necessary (i.e. fairly regularly) and using Antimatter Drop when mobs are clustered.  General playstyle for Nyx is keeping up Chaos and using Absorb when mobs are clustered.

I'd say Nova is the slightly "busier" playstyle, and Nyx is slightly more "relaxed"; at the same time, Nova is probably a bit "safer" while Nyx is a bit "riskier" (since she has to put herself in harm's way a bit to use her big nuke).

The one area where Nova has the edge over Nyx is that her cc is also a substantial debuff for the enemies and buff for the team.  On the other hand, mobs under the influence of Chaos are chipping away at each other, which economizes a bit on damage for the team.  But Nova's buff/debuff effect is a tad stronger IMHO.

Edited by Omnimorph

If you are new or relatively new to the game, get Nyx

Why?

Both frames are awesome, but for to make Nova one of the strongest Frames in the game, you would need some high rank mods, meanwhile Nyx is more friendly in this aspect, her powers could be OP on low level misions, she's tankier, and her powers could be useful even with low rank mods

Nyx is also a ton cheaper on the trade channel. I think I've seen her set at 60p +/- pretty much every time I see her mentioned.

Nova on the other hand is probably 200p last I looked?

Point being while farming Nova you will end up with a ton of pieces you can sell to get Nyx. Get them both while farming one.

NyxP is a much stronger 'frame when she's on her own. Nyx is pretty much all about control. She has one strong defensive ability.

NovaP is more about teamwork. She brings buffs and debuffs to a team and these benefit everyone directly. She can provide soft control, direct damage, damage buffs/debuffs and a slight amount of defense with some modding strategies.

Both need extensive forma and benefit greatly from some pretty exotic modding.

If you have a dedicated team you run with,  NovaP can really benefit the whole team, who can compensate for her fragility. If you find yourself on your own quite a bit or in PuGs where you can't count on your team too much, then NyxP tends to excel.

13 hours ago, SatelliteStrike said:

Just that I am lazy to farm both. Maybe eventualy I will get both but just looking for something fun that goes high end and will help me learn how to play raids, sorties and stuff. Plus having fun. Stuff that instantly dies like my loki (enemies don't kill me, but slash and toxic procs do) I don't like. 

Key of not getting Loki killed is not getting hit in the first place.  Continue to use invis, but at high end mission his disarm is way more important for you and your teammates.  You should also get his syndicate mod Irradiated Disarm for even more chaotic fun.  Loki is actually good for sorties and he's considered end game frame, but, yeah, he's very squishy and his survivability depends on how you play him.

Anyway, back to your original question.  Nyx and Nova can do well in end games as well.  Nova is definitely really squishy so if you didn't like dying as Loki, you might not like Nova because she has even fewer abilities to keep her alive so you have to be very mobile and depend on your teammates.  Nyx is more tanky than Nova and if you're being overwhelmed, you can use her absorb to tank a bit or you can use her chaos so the enemies are too busy fighting themselves to bother you much.  I think you probably can melee more with Nyx than Nova, but you probably want something else if you want to do more melee.  You should farm for the regular Nyx and Nova and try them out first to see if you like either of them.  If you like one more than the other, then try to farm the prime version.  It's actually not essential to have primed version of the frames--how you mod them is way more important.  I'm at MR 20 and I'm still rocking my normal Nova (Yes, I do take her to sorties regularly) because I'm too lazy to farm for her system.  

Nyx can siolo or group at any level on any mission and do well, in some missions and team comps she competes for the #1 CC slot, next to Loki. I've taken Nyx to lvl 200 solo (shooting) lvl 350 (not shooting) and lvl 1,250 in a group as main CC. She has more build options than Nova and more play styles.

Nova is a meta frame (You bring her in every group possible and she's irreplaceable) but she's not the strongest solo frame, in fact past lvl 80ish she's kinda bad at it. She's a super strong group frame but she also basically only has two build options, slow and speed. I've taken her to lvl 300 in pug groups all the time. she makes crap groups good and good groups unstoppable.

I'm not gunna say one is more fun than the other though, I find the gun I'm using to matter more than the frame. It's all about preference.

....And honestly don't pick one or the other, get both. You're talking about two of the top 10 frames in the game.