Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pop culture/Anime theories,stories, mash ups and off topic chats~a chill cafe. Nerds welcome. Otakus needed.

(PSN)WINDMILEYNO

42 minutes ago, Unus said:

So. . . how bout that Nuptia ceremony?

Also, ah, an Indi film straight from the bowels of South Korea. Also also. . . we're not going to be reaching "Plan 9" levels of Dwarf Fortressian """Fun""", are they?

Didnt watch, what happened? Connection loss?

And....im not sure how much fun that is, but to answer your question, i started with the weirdest movie i could remember watching so i could see how you all would react

''Twas quite the tear jerker, also quite the midfinger to those chumps that say that gamers have no lives. In truth, we just take them everywhere.

As for the second bit, This my good sir. I don't ascribe to these beliefs, but I do acknowledge the cult that is built ar. . . M. ooooohhhh, I just had an epiphany! Ladies and gentlemen, how would you all like to be a part of the start of a great dwarven fortress?

Edited by Unus

57 minutes ago, Unus said:

''Twas quite the tear jerker, also quite the midfinger to those chumps that say that gamers have no lives. In truth, we just take them everywhere.

As for the second bit, This my good sir. I don't ascribe to these beliefs, but I do acknowledge the cult that is built ar. . . M. ooooohhhh, I just had an epiphany! Ladies and gentlemen, how would you all like to be a part of the start of a great dwarven fortress?

That sounds interesting, but i have no computer right now

Oh no no no, you don't play. We all have accurately crafted replicas of our selves dwarfified stuck into the game, we all vote on a "cart-busting" site (dwarven tradition) , and then I try to keep all of us alive as we build a fortress for the ages. We may all eventually die, but, it's the journey that counts.

Edited by Unus

Just now, Unus said:

Oh no no no, you don't play. We all have accurately crafted replicas of our dwarf selves stuck into the game, we all vote on a "cart-busting" site (dwarven tradition) , and then I try to keep all of us alive as we build a fortress for the ages. We may all eventually die, but, it's the journey that counts.

Uhm.

Ok, so technically speaking this will be dungeons and dragons and you are the dm?

I never go skiing and visiting Aunts....:(

At least try skiing once? But go some where else when the Sundance film festival is in town cause parking is extremely hard and you're bound to run into Robert Redford. Then the best part, you can go to Tanger outlet for shopping. 

I am cyborg sounds interesting.

13 hours ago, Unus said:

~Snip

Ladies and gentlemen, how would you all like to be a part of the start of a great dwarven fortress?

I don't know? Its the beards!

2faadd3b08ef719f1ea86792302caa4e.jpg

11 hours ago, (PS4)makrisbrik said:

At least try skiing once? But go some where else when the Sundance film festival is in town cause parking is extremely hard and you're bound to run into Robert Redford. Then the best part, you can go to Tanger outlet for shopping. 

I am cyborg sounds interesting.

I don't know? Its the beards!

2faadd3b08ef719f1ea86792302caa4e.jpg

Looks like an angel

8 hours ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

Skiing could be really cool, but i dont know who Robert Redford is...

He is the founder of the Sundance Film Festival. He's in Captain America 2 as head of Shield and have a long list of movie credits. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid, The Natural, A Bridge Too Far, The Way We Were (Jane Fonda), Spy Game (with Brad Pitt) are a few I can remember. I like all films including classics. 

Do dwarf women really have beards? 

37 minutes ago, (PS4)makrisbrik said:

But look at that Wolverine sideburns? I'm pretty sure Aragorn in Lord of the Rings 2 Towers said they have beards. Kinda makes you think, why wasn't there a dwarf woman in the Hobbit? 

Because i don't know.

2 hours ago, (PS4)makrisbrik said:

But look at that Wolverine sideburns? I'm pretty sure Aragorn in Lord of the Rings 2 Towers said they have beards. Kinda makes you think, why wasn't there a dwarf woman in the Hobbit? 

Bearded female dwarves isn't cannon for Tolkiens work, that's a cross over from D&D IIRC.

56 minutes ago, Unus said:

Bearded women are an actual mutation, so it's likely female dwarves are just genetically prone to it.

Its also related to a hormon imbalance, like PCOS.

1 hour ago, Noamuth said:

Bearded female dwarves isn't cannon for Tolkiens work, that's a cross over from D&D IIRC.

~Snip

So maybe its a Peter Jackson interpretation of Appendix A? I found this interesting tidbit. 

http://www.tolkien.cro.net/dwarves/women.html

Did Dwarf women have beards?

It seems they did. In the note on Dwarf women in Appendix A it was told: 

It was said by Gimli that there are few dwarf-women, probably no more than a third of the whole people. They seldom walk abroad except at great need. They are in voice and appearance, and in garb if they must go on a journey, so like to the dwarf-men that the eyes and ears of other peoples cannot tell them apart. The Return of the King, 360 (App A)]  

Since beards were part of the appearance, not the garb, of dwarf-men, we must conclude that dwarf-women did in fact have beards.

Edited by (PS4)makrisbrik

1 hour ago, (PS4)makrisbrik said:

So maybe its a Peter Jackson interpretation of Appendix A? I found this interesting tidbit. 

http://www.tolkien.cro.net/dwarves/women.html

Did Dwarf women have beards?

It seems they did. In the note on Dwarf women in Appendix A it was told: 

It was said by Gimli that there are few dwarf-women, probably no more than a third of the whole people. They seldom walk abroad except at great need. They are in voice and appearance, and in garb if they must go on a journey, so like to the dwarf-men that the eyes and ears of other peoples cannot tell them apart. The Return of the King, 360 (App A)]  

Since beards were part of the appearance, not the garb, of dwarf-men, we must conclude that dwarf-women did in fact have beards.

That seems....like a stretch to decide if female dwarves have beards.

But, I guess I'm wrong.

27 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

That seems....like a stretch to decide if female dwarves have beards.

But, I guess I'm wrong.

I don't think there's a right or wrong way on how you would see or portray a female dwarf. I'd like to think they don't have facial hair as well. In fact its gotta be impossible that all are alike? 

1 hour ago, (PS4)makrisbrik said:

I don't think there's a right or wrong way on how you would see or portray a female dwarf. I'd like to think they don't have facial hair as well. In fact its gotta be impossible that all are alike? 

Well, that's why I think the justification is a reach.  We don't know for sure that every male  dwarf had a beard, or that the females weren't simply mistaken/presented as a young, beardless male.

1 hour ago, Skycook3y said:

>Implying that it is physically possible for you to be wrong.

Heresy 

I'm only conceeding wrongness based on my own lack of knowledge on the subject.

20 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

Well, that's why I think the justification is a reach.  We don't know for sure that every male  dwarf had a beard, or that the females weren't simply mistaken/presented as a young, beardless male.

We could say it's due their centuries of an excessively high protein diet. That could cause such an imbalance especially with certain types of meat.

What if they are born with a beard?

Baby-Beard-Pipe.jpg

13 hours ago, (PS4)makrisbrik said:

He is the founder of the Sundance Film Festival. He's in Captain America 2 as head of Shield and have a long list of movie credits. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid, The Natural, A Bridge Too Far, The Way We Were (Jane Fonda), Spy Game (with Brad Pitt) are a few I can remember. I like all films including classics. 

Do dwarf women really have beards? 

Oh....

But wouldnt i want to meet that guy?

And i think your hair on the bottom of your face would be just as stylish as the hair on the top