Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best tank?

emoblood116

Question

I've seen some debate on who is the best tank in the game. I've mostly seen Rhino supporters, but people have come back saying he has no support abilities and then I have sen a lot of Frost support also, but say he doesn't have enough armor on later missions. Just curious as to what the forums think and why. I'm just getting back into the game, so been doing a bit of research as I'm more of a tank kind of player in games. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

8 answers to this question

Some options to help you think:

• Chroma - Has complex mechanics but offers team auras and super beefy as well. Can tank lvl 100+ enemies.
  • Rhino - Beginner friendly that can generate lots of extra health with Iron skin using augments but may fall-off vs mid-high level enemies. Skill 4 is a super good cc.
  • Frost - Let's you create a stackable igloo that protects the stuff inside. Almost mandatory on serious defense missions.
  • Inaros - Has the highest health of all warframes(4k+ with a maxed vitality). Can sustain health on it's own by devouring enemies with some cc skills as well.
  • Valkyr - Her skill 4 turns you into an immortal wolverina that let's you cheese 90% of the game.

Not what you're looking for but could be an option.

Trinity - more of a priest than your usual tank.

Can provide infinite supply of energy to everyone.

Allows 99% damage reduction for you and your team.

Best heal in the game and the reason why Oberon sucks as a healer.

The god frame.

No. I'm not even kidding...

Edited by Oranji

There's a couple of answers depending what kind of "tanking" you're interested in.

Valkyr has a skill that literally makes her invulnerable so long as you have energy, but it restricts you to her melee-only claws for combat. Kind of boring IMO.

Rhino has iron skin, and I dispute the statement that he has no team ability because Stomp is pretty great as a CC feature. It holds enemies in suspended super-slow-mo for a duration regardless of their level or type. You can also buff your team's damage output with Roar.

Frost is incredibly survivable, not because of his personal tankiness, but because he can surround himself in Snow Globe, which is impenetrable to ranged attacks until they batter it down. Also freezing and slowing abilities to keep things chillax. If you want to take and hold ground, nobody does it better than Frost.

Chroma has a skill that can increase both his armor rating and damage as you take damage. With the right build you can end up with 95%+ damage reduction and outgoing 700% damage bonus. He's a monster, but kind of limited. More than Rhino, a "selfish tank".

Inaros is sort of a "dynamic tank". He has no shield, but enormous health capacity, and he has the strongest ability to self heal outside of Trinity, and some good CC abilities that prevents enemies shooting at you for very long as they choke on sand and bugs.

Edited by Momaw

Valkyr has "invulnerability" mode on an ability that also has life steal along with a ton of armor on health

Rhino/Nezha have Iron Skin / Warding Halo which acts as additional health and protection from procs/knockdowns

Frost has his Snow Globe which can protect an area from enemy fire and slow any enemies within. Can protect the entire squad/objective

Inaros has a ton of health and good armor (no shields though) and 4 ways to life steal.

Chroma has an ability that greatly increases his armor on shield damage taken, then damage output increase on health damage taken.

Wukong has an ability that let's him immediately revive with partial health upon death for as long as it's toggled on (and the "revive" health hasn't decreased to ~2 Health I think).

Edited by Maicael

Valkyr- Has invincibility as long as you have energy. The melee restriction doesn't matter because you should have a strong melee weapon to begin with, so you should still have formidable damage output. She was my go-to for Rathuum 3 and I was 1-shotting a number of the executioners with Hysteria's charged attacks. She also possesses the highest armor rating in the game and 2 CC skills, one of which opens for finisher damage, and the other buffs allies while buffing her.

Frost- Has Snow Globe, but armor/health/shields are all low for a 'tank', so other options are generally better for strictly tanking.

Trinity- As others have said, infinite regen, energy out the wazoo, and is a great support. However, if you don't mod her correctly, this doesn't work, so take that as you will. 

Inaros- My personal favorite, and he's got good CC and all of his abilities heal him, with his 1 and 2 opening enemies for finishers. Devour and Scarab Swarm have the capability to heal your whole team, given the opportunity. Inaros has the greatest health pool, though no shields, he can also tap into virtually unlimited energy with the 'Rage' mod equipped. A Covert Lethality dagger is highly recommended because that plus Desiccate means instant-kills on basically any enemy. 

Chroma- Still building, so I couldn't say. Refer to other posts.

Rhino- Iron Skin is very protective and Stomp is good for CC. Overall a good tank, but boring IMO. 

Atlas- Punching, high armor, etc. Decent tank, but weird to use. Couldn't really say why, though. 

Saryn- People don't really consider her a tank, but it's pretty easy with her. Especially with the Regenerative Molt augment healing her every time it's used.. Melee on Saryn can be strong with Toxic Lash and Spores. Pain to get now, though, because you have to grind through Kela for her parts. 

Necros.

Nah, seriously.

The Main critera for a tank is that he pulls and holds aggro and even the most tankyest of all frames just don't fill this kritera as there's no aggro mechanic in the game. Necros shadows on the other side most definitly pull the aggro of a wide area as they spread and hold it as they scale infinitly and therefore simply outdamage your squad at some point.

Necros with a shadow build is the way to go.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

Just a note on the Valkyr - Her 4 skill - Hysteria, is powerful and pretty much OP, but her true strength is in her high armour and decent HP. She can withstand a lot more damage than others even without her hysteria, and while hysteria is active, her melee attacks lifesteal, healing her up. I usually use hysteria only to revive other fallen frames, or to heal myself up after having taken damage, or if I'm about to die, or if I need to stand still and am vulnerable while doing so (say, hacking stuff while under fire). That way you won't burn out your energy just on raging around.

Also, her CC - Paralysis - costs something like 5 energy to use. That's insanely cheap.

Edited by Tomppak

Google says the best tank in the world is Leopard 2A7.

But you can try out others:
Valkyr: Highest armor in the game, 4th power makes you immortal. 3rd power gives good melee boost to teammates too. If you just want durability, take her.
Atlas: (To be confirmed) 2nd highest armor, and he's pretty fun.
Chroma: Pretty good tank, has supportive and offensive abilities as well. Also good for credit farming due to his effigy.
Rhino: Stats don't really scream tank, but his 2nd ability gives you basically an additional health bar. Also has a supportive ability that improves damage output of the squad.
Frost: As you said, tanky, supportive, and cool. Probably the most useful of the lot if you're playing in a squad.

There isn't really a best tank, it's all a matter of preferences and utility. "Each tool for its purpose."

EDIT:
Totally forgot Inaros... Greatest health in the game, probably greatest armor too, and can be a good support too as he can restore teammates' health.

Edited by TheScytale