Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Rework Feedback [Post Update 18.13]

Satinpuppies

On 2018-06-25 at 7:19 AM, (PS4)purpleskullgamin said:

The hold charge mechanic could easily slow down a very fast paced frame, they'd be better off to add an Oberon style scaling where it goes off the Armor/Health/Shields of the enemy.

Itd only slow it down if they do it like Ember. The time required is too much for her too for whats only a cool addition, not some game breaking power. Itd also only slow the frame down if thats what people only wanted to use, like when heavy attacks were first introduced. Yeah, itd be nice if Volt had all the controls the kirin from monster hunter does (you can see its shock has hold to charge, when it goes from one to a slightly slower set of 3 lightning strikes) or cole mcgrath who can guide a thunder bolt along the ground but....this is warframe. As long as they dont make it take too long, itll be viable. Theres no way itll be overpowered. Because Warframe is not trying to be any of those games.

On 2018-06-23 at 8:25 PM, RealPandemonium said:

You see plenty of Volts nuking in powerlevel nodes these days, though Saryn is the hot new thing for obvious reasons.  He's also an integral part of Eidolon squads.  Generally people play frames for utility rather than trying to enjoy the game, but Volt definitely has a place in the current meta if you're just looking at that.

Volt was never that, but he can 4spam rooms better than ever, now.

When did memeing strike get nerfed?

That's what I've come to expect!

All of those frames can go super-survivable due to QT + Rage and various Arcane cheese, to so say nothing of the abilities on some of those frames making them nigh-unkillable without any durability mods.

What kind of setup was beating the "I mathematically kill all Corpus instantly regardless of level" Mag build?

As stated before can't prove my side of things.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Music4Therapy:

I automatically assume you don't know how to play or are new if you ask for a Volt buff. The dude is a god

Yeah, if anything his ult is somewhat OP nowadays, making him another press-4-to-win-frame, but that's mainly due to the broken energy economy, as with most AOE skills...

Compared to a few years ago one sees Volts all over the place in PUGs, another clear indicator he's in a good spot compared to large parts of the roster.

(still somewhat bummed shield/weapon synergy never actually came back despite DE claiming they were working on it but whatevs...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, latest update, they've made Nezha new Volt...congrats... Fire Walker no more channeling ability, Blazing Chakram gives damage buff from all sources, Warding Halo blocks only 90% damage and some other fixes.

Source:

Spoiler

Honestly DE wasted a godawful amount of time on the opt in/out mechanic for Speed and not enough time to make Volt's kit actually fun to play...

Still think:

#1 Shock: would very much like seeing it work like amprex or other continuous weapons, with option for a charge and release lightning bolt - with no upper limit except energy reserve

#2 Speed: should be only a personal buff, if we have to keep it absolutely, unless augmented with a mod, adding damage on melee with enemies according to distance travelled, or

incorporate the current augment as another charge and go use of the ability;

#3 Electric Shield: objectively doesn't make much sense, shouldnt be something more like a "magnetic barrier" redirecting enemy shots and accellerating ours like Zephyr's turbulence?

With the possibility to drop areas similar to Mag's magnetize to the same effect, the mechanics are already implemented and make a lot more sense.

#4 How was it called again?: just let us crate and charge a lightning storm like those that develop between clouds layers and let it burn out the lights like in the past, ambiental damage

was satisfying...

Had an idea for Shock, implement the thing that already exists in the game: Ember Fireball, chargeable ball lightning with some AOE stun and damage, since Volt is alternative Press 4 too win damage gunplayer etc.

Edited by Cryone

4 hours ago, Cryone said:

Had an idea for Shock, implement the thing that already exists in the game: Ember Fireball, chargeable ball lightning with some AOE stun and damage, since Volt is alternative Press 4 too win damage gunplayer etc.

You mean that thing most people hate? 

Seeing as for alot of people and especially with the frames it's currently on really gives off the feeling of slowing down combat and not being worth it overall.

2 hours ago, (PS4)purpleskullgamin said:

You mean that thing most people hate? 

Seeing as for alot of people and especially with the frames it's currently on really gives off the feeling of slowing down combat and not being worth it overall.

IMO the game as it is gonna be slow soon with Melee 3.0, no coptering, nothing, only explosives and massive AOE now making some fast clear progress etc. 

Am 9.9.2018 um 03:27 schrieb Ikusias:

Honestly DE wasted a godawful amount of time on the opt in/out mechanic for Speed and not enough time to make Volt's kit actually fun to play...

Still think:

#1 Shock: would very much like seeing it work like amprex or other continuous weapons, with option for a charge and release lightning bolt - with no upper limit except energy reserve

#2 Speed: should be only a personal buff, if we have to keep it absolutely, unless augmented with a mod, adding damage on melee with enemies according to distance travelled, or

incorporate the current augment as another charge and go use of the ability;

#3 Electric Shield: objectively doesn't make much sense, shouldnt be something more like a "magnetic barrier" redirecting enemy shots and accellerating ours like Zephyr's turbulence?

With the possibility to drop areas similar to Mag's magnetize to the same effect, the mechanics are already implemented and make a lot more sense.

#4 How was it called again?: just let us crate and charge a lightning storm like those that develop between clouds layers and let it burn out the lights like in the past, ambiental damage

was satisfying...

Volt is good in most anything the game has to offer. I was going to adress each ability change suggestion as there is nothing wrong with wanting improvements as nothing is ever perfect, but it seems you might as well make a different Warframe if those are the changes you propose...

11 hours ago, Xhobract said:

Volt is good in most anything the game has to offer. I was going to adress each ability change suggestion as there is nothing wrong with wanting improvements as nothing is ever perfect, but it seems you might as well make a different Warframe if those are the changes you propose...

If you think about it, although the changes would affect some mechanical aspects of Volt's power, in practice would mantain the same skillset minus most of the current problems and a tad more sinergy and enjoyment.

(let's admit it, current powers don't synergyze at all)

- Shock contribution to electric shield or discharged enemies is negligible and a waste of time/energy

- electric shield pickup and speed also sinergize badly due to energy costs

- speed counterintuitively is more effective on allyes than volt itself due to its mediocre base speed

The latest rework didn't change much at all, contrary to what was requested and needed, the fact we are still here discussing about it is maybe the main symptom.

What honestly disappoints most whas the amount of time wasted around Speed and Riot Shield instead of the entire kit, if you turn back to give a look to the posts and dewstreams of the time you'll see more discussions about opt in / opt out for speed and  on how the portable shield was lackluster, expensive and in general ill tought... than on the rest of the rework

Then all the mess surrounding the changes on Volt's #4 that went from a nova on certain tiles to a barely passable CC ability in general and so on.

DE asked for what we wanted prior to the changes and then basically proceeded to ignore it.

(noticed now how the forum slaughtered my original post formatting.. T_T)

2 hours ago, Ikusias said:

If you think about it, although the changes would affect some mechanical aspects of Volt's power, in practice would mantain the same skillset minus most of the current problems and a tad more sinergy and enjoyment.

(let's admit it, current powers don't synergyze at all)

- Shock contribution to electric shield or discharged enemies is negligible and a waste of time/energy

- electric shield pickup and speed also sinergize badly due to energy costs

- speed counterintuitively is more effective on allyes than volt itself due to its mediocre base speed

The latest rework didn't change much at all, contrary to what was requested and needed, the fact we are still here discussing about it is maybe the main symptom.

What honestly disappoints most whas the amount of time wasted around Speed and Riot Shield instead of the entire kit, if you turn back to give a look to the posts and dewstreams of the time you'll see more discussions about opt in / opt out for speed and  on how the portable shield was lackluster, expensive and in general ill tought... than on the rest of the rework

Then all the mess surrounding the changes on Volt's #4 that went from a nova on certain tiles to a barely passable CC ability in general and so on.

DE asked for what we wanted prior to the changes and then basically proceeded to ignore it.

(noticed now how the forum slaughtered my original post formatting.. T_T)

But why the complete ability changes and not addressing the problems directly like I have in my bio?

Sprint speed needs to be increased to 1.10 for regular and 1.15 for Prime.

His passive needs to activate on enemy hit.

His one could use better scaling.

His two's needs to be increased to 20 seconds and a buff to the reload speed buff to match the 1.5 base of the speed buff.

His three needs to have the speed debuff removed and be able to be electrocuted by his four like his one and sync with the time of his two

if you can find my older posts in this thread i believe i did suggest some of your very same ideas as well, seeing how DE didn't take that road at all, i'm throwing everything and the kitchen sink at the wall to see what sticks...

- About shock: change to continuous zapping would permit it to scale, idem with the added "charge up and crisp targets" and using mechanics already coded for an existing weapon lessen the workload and increase likelihood of implementation;

- about Speed: the main point that wasn't accounted for by DE is that many player don't want to be influenced by unwanted and often inopportune buffs/powers, see all the hate tha limbo used to get and how much people gets annoyed by accidental rifting... making speed a personal power was a good start in solving volt's slowness and permitted integrating for example the augment in it, leaving the partywide buff as a possible choice for a new augment;

- electric shield: honestly as it is makes no sense with volt's electric theme, changes would be mainly estetic and quality of life making it a sphere like nix absorb, that repels shots around you much like zephir's Turbulence would be much more in like with electricity/magnetism/repulsion and cover Volt 360° with one cast, range buffs would increase sphere radius and recasting would create more safe area more or less like frost's Snowglobe with less visual and projectile obstruction. Again existing assets would be reused to implement the idea: i.e. less work, less coding, higher chance of implementation - and substantial effect would be unchanged but with better Qol (why only Frost should get the good toys?)

- discharge/overload... simply don't like it as currently is and would prefers more a combination of area CC and controlled aimed direct damage a la Zeus

23 hours ago, (PS4)purpleskullgamin said:

This alone just makes me want to nullify everything you said, seeing as it's the majority of people's favorite ability.

As much as i've seen Speed is everyone favorite ability...

Also, your tone nonwithstanding, what i'd like wouldn't remove anything from the current ability but instead make it a mix between the current, badly implemented CC and Sargas Ruck targeted ultimate.

Imagine this: #4 and an are of the map is wrapped in electricity zapping all enemies both already there or entering in a second moment + zapping any of them with your #1 causes a much bigger lightning bolt to fry them for noticeable damage at extra energy expense - much more interesting than the canned stuff they gave us with the last rework isn't it?

Basically Volt is described in lore as an alternative to gunplay, just none of his powers can kill anything even in early starmap, either improve his abilities or change the description.

52 minutes ago, Ikusias said:

just none of his powers can kill anything even in early starmap, either improve his abilities or change the description.

Judging by the fact shock can easily deal decent damage up to like level 30 roughly and is a respectable CC ability and discharge scales practically indefinitely and has little to no issue netting me most damage dealt, most kills the majority of missions I deal with.

I'd say they both are fairly effective.

Do you even play Volt? It seems pretty obvious you have little clue what you're talking about.

Edited by (PS4)purpleskullgamin

Was my main until rework, dropped it like a sack of manure after it due to all changes having completely missed the point and all the feedback.

DE did some minor adjustment afterwards and then rolled part of them back again, issues on discharge propagation if I remember right.

Did you ever play the pre-rework Volt?

Main reason why this thread is still active is that Volt's rework had been requested for years and that Excalibur's rework set very high expectations.

Many complained about the fact that Volt wasn't a good starter frame because it didn't offer any kind of learning curve, because it depended too much on its own shields that in current warframe evaporate in a single grakata bursta, because its playstyle couldn't decide between mobility or static defense (Speed vs Electric Shield), overload had problems but was a devastating nuke in starship tiles due to getting extra damage from light fixtures, consoles and the like and left the tiles in which was used without lights (and it was freaking cool, only ability with permanent environmental effects in the game)...

To sum it up: DE didn't do good enough when there was the chance, ignored 99% of feedback and moved on.

Current Volt is barely different than before the rework and it's aging badly compared to newer frames, got it's chanche at improvements and it was wasted in:

flame wars about Speed and it's effect on the rest of the squad circa 75% of the threads and the dewstreams of the time,

the unrequested addition of riot shield (picking up and moving an electric shield) with it's prohibitive energy costs and 5 different limitations due to energy cost depending from speed, distance, the shield keeping the original timer, the limitation to walking speed unless using Speed as well and paying more energy, limitation to secondary weapon only without the increased crit chance and electric bonus of the base shield...,

the massive disappointment that was discharge at launch (starting from the name that recalls bowel troubles more than an awesome power) and its malfunctioning mechanics with enemies freeing themselves from its CC much faster than its actual duration, counterintuitive interactions with armor and shields, brocken vertical hitbox, useless interactions with shock and so on... and fully vulnerable casting animation that at higher levels led to lots of downed players.

2 hours ago, (PS4)purpleskullgamin said:

Judging by the fact shock can easily deal decent damage up to like level 30 roughly and is a respectable CC ability and discharge scales practically indefinitely and has little to no issue netting me most damage dealt, most kills the majority of missions I deal with.

I'd say they both are fairly effective.

Do you even play Volt? It seems pretty obvious you have little clue what you're talking about.

Yes Shock and Discharge are fairly effective in their mediocrity and there was the chance to do much better.

Notice the trend with the last two frames released?

Khora was a jumbled mess and is barely better after a lot of patchwork, Revenant is a disappointment compared to what was shown at Tennocon and still a point of discussions.

Let's not talk about the latest reworks as well, with Pablo himself disgusted with the results and wasted work on Saryn, or how Ember's World of Fire (and its augment) and Banshee's Resonating Quake have been nuked from orbit without solving their problems (meanwhile Equinox 's Maim still  murders everything in starmap with a minimally competent build)

If you're fine eating premade hamburgers in a restaurant that before served beef steak or better please be my guest.

i'm one of those that voted in the past survey for more focus on repairing and cleaning up what's already in the game before it breaks completely and for quality above quantity, guess how "satisfied" I am with the recent results?

Fortuna and most of the other prewiews are very enticing, but we currently are at 2 of 2 newly released warframes that are near trash level, the mess that's still Sanctuary Onslaught, Saryn uncontested slayer of everything, fun included, it's not a good trend for the future and at DE they are apparently plugging their ears on the issue.

Also, remember PC =/= PS4 due to different system limitations: have friends playing on console and PC and they ofthen remarked that on console there are usually less enemies on screen at the same time, can't confirm or confute with full certainty, but that already would make a huge difference in play experience.

• 1 month later...

Noticed weird thing during Onslaught runs, at some point Discharge not dealing damage at all. It's only me, or there's serious problem? 

The problem is that i tried to cast it even with mobs everywhere, and nothing happened. One of the runs another Volt told that Ulty not working, if anyone else can confirm or deny this, i'd like to know it.

Spoiler

giphy.gif 

Build:

Spoiler

mbyPLZI.jpg

Update: This is an issue, i'll post some more reasonable gifs and data that i've collected below.

Am i doing something wrong? Same build, Neither CC or Damage procs, Long/Close Range!

Spoiler

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

Edited by Cryone