Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So about Mag's 2nd...

Uzpian

Question

Does this ability allows you to accidentally kill yourself? I just tried playing with her 2nd more this time and everytime I shoot inside the bubble alone, my own weapons kill me. I'll hate to see if players can also accidentally kill themselves if I casted it lol.

16 answers to this question

30 minutes ago, PsychedelicSnake said:

You can accidentally kill yourself, yes. The shrapnel/damage pellets in the very center are capable of hitting you, allies, and objectives.

Not quite. I did some testing and what it actually happens is that your own redirected shots can hit you when they go to the center of the sphere and you are in the way. This is easier to spot with a beam weapon like the glaxion (the cold beam weapon, forgot its actual name). The shrapnel does not seem to have effect (or I have not noticed). The explosion has never done any damage to me either.

Edit: I have also killed my own sentinel this way. I have not tested it with other player though.

Edited by HellEnforcer

Just now, PsychedelicSnake said:

I honestly highly doubt it. Reason being is there's really no other abilities (that I can think of off the top of my head) that have friendly fire mechanics like this. If I had to guess, it is likely an oversight.

a very big oversight, it seems like the kind of thing you double check in a mainly pve game. Maybe it's leaked over from PvP?

1 minute ago, Implodingbanana said:

a very big oversight, it seems like the kind of thing you double check in a mainly pve game. Maybe it's leaked over from PvP?

You'd be surprised what slips through the cracks. In Bloodborne there was a crazy bug that made enemies not do certain movesets if you played more than a certain amount of time.

3 minutes ago, Kanlor said:

How are ppl killing themselves with it? I tryed to do it but it doesnt seem to dmg me when i shoot in it

It's not the whole bubble, just the center of it where the shrapnel and bullets are swirling around. It's also the explosion at the end, which can hurt you if you are within the bubble as it detonates.

Just now, HellEnforcer said:

Not quite. I did some testing and what it actually happens is that your own redirected shots can hit you when they go to the center of the sphere and you are in the way. This is easier to spot with a beam weapon like the glaxion (the cold beam weapon, forgot its actual name). The shrapnel does not seem to have effect (or I have not noticed). The explosion has never done any damage to me either.

Ah, that makes sense. As for the explosion, it seems very inconsistent. Myself and a few others have been damaged by it, but others have not. More than likely it's a bug.

25 minutes ago, Kanlor said:

How are ppl killing themselves with it? I tryed to do it but it doesnt seem to dmg me when i shoot in it

Magnetize an enemy, walk inside the bubble, aim OUTSIDE of it- and shoot. Your bullets will do a full 180 and come right back at you- hitting you on the way because the game no longer classifies them as "your" bullets- just objects.

@OP Yes as stated all over here it is possible, and it's likely not intentional. Digressing a bit here- since they're going to be touching similar to this, I suggest they allow teammates to shoot through the bubble entirely. That their bullets not be affected. There is absolutely NO situation whatsoever that mag benefits from allies being able to have their bullets attracted and ALL it does for her teammates is block what they ACTUALLY want to shoot at. It's logic of mechanics vs teamplay here, and teamplay should win this one I think.

48 minutes ago, PsychedelicSnake said:

You'd be surprised what slips through the cracks. In Bloodborne there was a crazy bug that made enemies not do certain movesets if you played more than a certain amount of time.

Yeah, stuff will always slip through the cracks. Simple fact of the matter is that QA teams are small, even the largest ones out there are small when you get down to numbers. There's no way they can catch everything. When you really think about it, expecting a team of maybe like 30 people to catch everything is really a pretty ridiculous notion on the part of players. Really, who do you think has a statistically batter chance of finding more obscure bugs and issues in a game? 30 people or 300,000 people? I really don't run through my Mag Spheres, so I haven't have noticed this issue and I bet that's the same reason that the QA department didn't notice it either.

Edited by Ceryk

Observing Magnetize when a friendly mag casts it (not my cast) I've noticed that the projectiles in the center that spawn from your bullets classify as your projectile.

In other words, if someone else on the team stands in the center without shooting then you shoot inside, they won't be hurt. If you shoot inside then walk into the center of the swirling projectiles, you'll kill yourself with your own bullets.

Magnetize doesn't spawn those projectiles tagged as the Mag's bullets, it spawns them according to who fired them unless an enemy had fired into the bubble. This means the rules of self-inflicting damage apply to the projectiles and whoever shot them in.

The reason for all that is so that players who shoot into the bubble aren't contributing to the mag's total damage, but rather the player who did the shooting gets credit for the damage.

As for this being patched: I've no connections, but I've no doubt this well be patched. As it is, clever trolls (oxymoron!) can abuse this to kill friendlies. Seeing as how great lengths are taken to prevent self-inflicted rad procs (which would permit team killing at any time) the devs probably made an oversight with this.

Edited by Sennera

1 hour ago, Kanlor said:

there are a couple of ways. One is Radiation proccs and the other is enemy bullets. If only your own non damaging attacks are absorbed by the bubble then it normally won't deal damage to you or your team. 

Digressing a bit here- since they're going to be touching similar to this, I suggest they allow teammates to shoot through the bubble entirely. That their bullets not be affected. There is absolutely NO situation whatsoever that mag benefits from allies being able to have their bullets attracted and ALL it does for her teammates is block what they ACTUALLY want to shoot at. It's logic of mechanics vs teamplay here, and teamplay should win this one I think.

what? I have yet to find a situation where people *haven't* wanted to add more damage into the Magnetize bubble. It's fantastic.