Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Focus System

(PSN)Nyxn607

Question

I am a nooblet at the focus system.  I understand the basic concept of "pick up the yellow orb and kill stuff to get points."  What I don't understand is what makes those points go from 100 into upwards of a couple of thousand in the 43 or seconds you get.  I am assuming I first need to get a greater lens to make it happen.  Is there any particular weapon/frame that makes this go even faster?  I have read posts where Ember/Ash/Equinox would all be good frames to put a lens on for their AOE damage abilites.  Any tips or tricks I should know about?

10 answers to this question

The yellow orb is more or less a bonus. You gain focus from slotting focus lenses on your favorite frame/weapons. The XP that they earned is converted into focus which you spend later. 

Focus is directly tied to XP gained so those bonus orbs can be 14 to like 5k ive seen once. Depends on the situation really.

3 minutes ago, Zhoyzu said:

The yellow orb is more or less a bonus. You gain focus from slotting focus lenses on your favorite frame/weapons. The XP that they earned is converted into focus which you spend later. 

Focus is directly tied to XP gained so those bonus orbs can be 14 to like 5k ive seen once. Depends on the situation really.

Ah, ok I see.  So basically the orbs are just a way to get bonus focus, similar to earning bonus affinity for getting 30 rifle kills.

First you have to understand how affinity is gained. Let's use an enemy that gives 100 affinity on kill.

Warframe kill = 100 affinity to warframe

Weapon kill = 50 weapon used + 50 to warframe

Ally kill = 25 to warframe and 75 divided between all weapons you've got equiped.(75 if one, 33ish each if two, 25 each if 3) <--- works the same with Objectives affinity (Spy vault hacked, etc..) just divide gained affinity the same way.

By knowing what was said above, you can funnel the affinity into what you have a lens equipped on. As you noticed, only warframe powers gather the most affinity per kill, that's why it's most often advised to put a lens on a warframe that has good killing potential / AoE.

Then you need to do a mission that will give you as much enemies as possible during the time you pick up the orb. Like a survival with a full squad. Then kill as much as possible by yourself and that's how you reach the thousands.

Just now, (PS4)Nyxn607 said:

Ah, ok I see.  So basically the orbs are just a way to get bonus focus, similar to earning bonus affinity for getting 30 rifle kills.

yea, so dont feel obligated in missions like survival to cross the map for the random spawn. Sometimes its just not worth it lol.

1 minute ago, Manyc said:

First you have to understand how affinity is gained. Let's use an enemy that gives 100 affinity on kill.

Warframe kill = 100 affinity to warframe

Weapon kill = 50 weapon used + 50 to warframe

Ally kill = 25 to warframe and 75 divided between all weapons you've got equiped.(75 if one, 33ish each if two, 25 each if 3) <--- works the same with Objectives affinity (Spy vault hacked, etc..) just divide gained affinity the same way.

By knowing what was said above, you can funnel the affinity into what you have a lens equipped on. As you noticed, only warframe powers gather the most affinity per kill, that's why it's most often advised to put a lens on a warframe that has good killing potential / AoE.

Then you need to do a mission that will give you as much enemies as possible during the time you pick up the orb. Like a survival with a full squad. Then kill as much as possible by yourself and that's how you reach the thousands.

Alright, that makes more sense.  Thank you tenno.

7 minutes ago, (PS4)Nyxn607 said:

3 minutes ago, Zhoyzu said:

yea, so dont feel obligated in missions like survival to cross the map for the random spawn. Sometimes its just not worth it lol.

Unless it has changed meanwhile and I haven't noticed, Convergence will reward the player a 6x Focus multiplier for 45 seconds. Meaning it's 4min30sec of affinity worth condensed into 45 seconds.

Which is actually really good unless it actually spawns VERY far and it could break spawns a lot by moving that far to get it.

By far the best tactic that I know to gain affinity in a solo play is doing sneak runs on Ceres with Ivara. I tend to get about 3k - 5k per run and I don't use boosters. It gets tedious and boring after a while. 

Don't know how's the Draco front doing - I'm not much of a public player.

focus was fun to farm until DE put the orbs as a way to get the same amount  with grind. kinda make the whole system not co-op friendly just like what they are doing with abilities now and quite boring in the overall picture.