The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A real bastard sword

Gwenwed

Heya all,

The recent split sword is great. Thanks to all the designers!

But eventually, why not create a real Bastard Sword, where we could change stance mid-fight, from one hand to two. It would be awesome to switch from a fast two hand high status style and then to a lower speed precise high damage (or whatever the designers can come up with). I feel the two latest release weapons are a step in the right direction but now it could be pushed forward in a more dynamic playstyle.

Cheers!

I have seen topics similar to this before and have been intrigued by them nonetheless its just, how do you think programming works and how in the sentient tomb do you think this is going to be intuitive in terms of design and gameplay. It's pretty hard to focus on using proper melee combos in high level content because up there guns, for the most part, outclass melee only if you are ever not in melee range without some sort of movement ability or cc. How would this be used then? I understand this is probably from a casual, fun player point of view but it seems like this would be useless to a huge amount of the community. This new sword is great because it allows a wider choice than other melee weapons so far, but at least it's contained and, in my mind, still useful. Maybe I'm just ranting after seeing another topic like this, but honestly it seems more like a waste of resources than anything. 

sorry for any hard feelings

EDIT: if this is how they intended to do what we had asked for beforehand I feel like it would have been done on release

Edited by SoIaris
wanted to add to my comment

3 minutes ago, rawr1254 said:

Sarcasm-Meme-4.jpg

This is referring to stats yeah? It's not too great but it looks fantastic

Also just a quick note this may belong in fan ideas or whatever topic dedicated to fan made stuff

Edited by SoIaris

2 minutes ago, SoIaris said:

Really? it looks like you used this

hqdefault.jpg and this hqdefault.jpg

And then used this

0000_Three_Bond_Super_Glue.jpg

to make a mastery fodder weapon

Edited by rawr1254

24 minutes ago, SoIaris said:

I have seen topics similar to this before and have been intrigued by them nonetheless its just, how do you think programming works and how in the sentient tomb do you think this is going to be intuitive in terms of design and gameplay. It's pretty hard to focus on using proper melee combos in high level content because up there guns, for the most part, outclass melee only if you are ever not in melee range without some sort of movement ability or cc. How would this be used then? I understand this is probably from a casual, fun player point of view but it seems like this would be useless to a huge amount of the community. This new sword is great because it allows a wider choice than other melee weapons so far, but at least it's contained and, in my mind, still useful. Maybe I'm just ranting after seeing another topic like this, but honestly it seems more like a waste of resources than anything. 

sorry for any hard feelings

EDIT: if this is how they intended to do what we had asked for beforehand I feel like it would have been done on release

It would be intuitive to game play because it would set it apart from other melee weapons. High leveled content trvilaizes most melee combat, so using that argument for the Dark Split-Sword doesn't really make sense. 

It does allow for player choice... the choice to use something else. Switching weapon types in mid-mission would've been such a cool mechanic, but the execution of this weapon over all in its release is disappointing after all the hype when it was teased. I would've considered using it a lot, even though it's the weakest of all heavy blades and even though the dual swords are sub-par, but without the mechanic I can't bring myself to use it outside of mastery points.

This new weapon doesn't allow for much in player choice, because you have to change the weapon from Heavy Blade to Dual Sword BETWEEN missions. You might as well just use the War and Primsa Dual Cleavers, which are much more useful weapons.

This weapon is a wasted concept, and useless.

10 minutes ago, SoIaris said:

The War looks fantastic... so do the Prisma Cleavers... see the problem here?

Edited by PUR3K1LL3R

8 minutes ago, rawr1254 said:

hqdefault.jpg and this hqdefault.jpg

And then used this

0000_Three_Bond_Super_Glue.jpg

Still not as bad as the Stradavar or the Kohmak weapons.

Edited by Alma_Elma

ehh, the best thing an actual Bastard Sword could do for Warframe honestly, would be for it's Animations to be a mixture of Light and Heavy Attacks, and a mixture of one handed and two handed Attacks, and a mixture of one handed and two handed defensive pushes/shoves.

because being able to switch between... Longsword and Heavy? Stances wouldn't do it much good, you'd still be choosing a universally superior option and then done. (because Melee Animations in Warframe leave much to be desired) 

btw i love Bastard Swords. i'll be pretty miffed if we do get one/them and it gets screwed up, one of the most interesting types of Swords that exists.

Edited by taiiat

Just now, rawr1254 said:

Or the Azima which takes 100 days to get lol

Well the Azima is free and comes with its own slot and reactor, so I can't complain about free handouts.

Stradavar and the Kohmaks are giant resource sinks that basically result into fully-automatic pea shooters.

1 minute ago, rawr1254 said:

*snip*

and this

*snip*

And then used this

*snip*

It's not simply a dark sword plasted on another dark sword, at least it doesn't seem that way to me, in it's heavy twinblade form it looks like it was meant as a twinblade with both sides being bladed while the top half is undeniably larger making it seem more like a large sword than a twinblade, needless to say it obviously looks similar to the dark sword and dagger but in itself is another weapon, not simply two weapons pasted on each other, I think it probably looks better in my mind as well because of my recent computer upgrade and the newer graphic effects in the game, haven't seen this game on max for a while and it looks very pretty with lighting effects and on my excal

Length wise, the Broken War is a Bastard sword. 

I have already suggested before that we get a Sword sub category for those "Long but not so long Swords" but it got buried away. 

As people have mentioned above ^ would be great if we had a Stance that incoperated both Heavy and Light techniques. 

14 minutes ago, Alma_Elma said:

stradavar is amazing... mine out-dps's literally everyone I squad up with, has no recoil, and feels absolutely solid.  it's become one of my main primaries.  dps dropoff is always going to be a thing, and I wouldn't bring it to an endurance t4 surv, but it's amazing at what it's supposed to do.

4 minutes ago, Firefly0037 said:

if anyone ever keeps up with the devs, you'd all know that this was literally one of the first things they mentioned in prime time - it's coming.  they just don't have a way to do it yet, but it's on their to do list.

I never really kept up on prime times so I guess I missed this, strange how they didn't mention on their forum post if this was actually said. But, to bring in a comment from another post about the split sword, maybe they just needed to make a split sword mod for a new weapon type, combo'ing in and out of twin blade and dual swords, maybe something like that would work better than their current model. Or maybe this is going to be how it swaps in between mid level, something like a transformation attack, I don't mean to bring in an unrelated game series but if anyone's seen bloodborne's melee weapons and their two forms something like that would work transition wise

Edited by SoIaris

17 minutes ago, Alma_Elma said:

That statement is false.

The Stradavar may be a complete joke in it's own right, but someone like you should know that it's better, right? RIGHT?!

And about the Kohmaks... I'm not going to even give you a reply to that misinformation.

Just now, PUR3K1LL3R said:

That statement is false.

The Stradavar may be a complete joke in it's own right, but someone like you should know that it's better, right? RIGHT?!

And about the Kohmaks... I'm not going to even give you a reply to that misinformation.

you like your misinformation though.

:D

13 minutes ago, SoIaris said:

It's not simply a dark sword plasted on another dark sword, at least it doesn't seem that way to me, in it's heavy twinblade form it looks like it was meant as a twinblade with both sides being bladed while the top half is undeniably larger making it seem more like a large sword than a twinblade, needless to say it obviously looks similar to the dark sword and dagger but in itself is another weapon, not simply two weapons pasted on each other, I think it probably looks better in my mind as well because of my recent computer upgrade and the newer graphic effects in the game, haven't seen this game on max for a while and it looks very pretty with lighting effects and on my excal

quoted pictures used the old models. With the new models it's literally the dagger and sword connected at the pommel area. Personally i was excited for this weapon until the release... I would have rather waited another 6 months for a split sword that can actually split mid mission.

vPYKWjC.jpg

Edited by AXCrusnik

4 minutes ago, SoIaris said:

I never really kept up on prime times so I guess I missed this, strange how they didn't mention on their forum post if this was actually said. But, to bring in a comment from another post about the split sword, maybe they just needed to make a split sword mod for a new weapon type, combo'ing in and out of twin blade and dual swords, maybe something like that would work better than their current model.

being uninformed is a regular thing around these parts....

https://youtu.be/rvA2gnNkVEE?t=4m18s  <- there you go

5 minutes ago, Firefly0037 said:

stradavar is amazing... mine out-dps's literally everyone I squad up with, has no recoil, and feels absolutely solid.  it's become one of my main primaries.  dps dropoff is always going to be a thing, and I wouldn't bring it to an endurance t4 surv, but it's amazing at what it's supposed to do.

I don't think it's the stradavar that out-dps's your squads but rather i believe it's your mods you got in it.

The fact this "weapon" sits at a MR8 requirement means that it should at least be comparable to some of the stronger weapons. Until a new player reaches MR8 to get this thing, he will have plenty of other and better weapons to pick. Even THEY won't find a reason to use this other than MR fodder. Cool to hear you enjoy this, but this weapon is still weak and a disappointment, don't deny it.

5 minutes ago, PUR3K1LL3R said:

Please... Explain...

that statement is false.  

Saying please explain obviously makes me not want to explain.  

I'm not even going to respond to that misinformation.

Edited by Firefly0037

Just now, Firefly0037 said:

that statement is false.  

Saying please explain obviously makes me not want to explain.  

check your misinformation.

What? That the Stradavar is a faliure of a weapon? I'm pretty sure that isn't misinformation... but perhaps you have a personal bias for the Stradavar.

Don't need to explain either apparently, IceCold already did for me.

3 minutes ago, IceColdHawk said:

I don't think it's the stradavar that out-dps's your squads but rather i believe it's your mods you got in it.

The fact this "weapon" sits at a MR8 requirement means that it should at least be comparable to some of the stronger weapons. Until a new player reaches MR8 to get this thing, he will have plenty of other and better weapons to pick. Even THEY won't find a reason to use this other than MR fodder. Cool to hear you enjoy this, but this weapon is still weak and a disappointment, don't deny it.

it's the regular assault rifle version of the soma (which is mr locked at 6), so yes it's going to be a little below in dps compared to that with regular fire, if that's what you're referring to.  But it also has an alt fire that increases crit (which I've seen hit way above what the soma can do) damage.  Without argon scope, 10k crits are a regular thing, which is right in the range of where it should be.  Between those two characteristics, being mastery rank locked at 8 is right where it should be.  And let's be honest, does it really take that long to get from 6 - 8? couple days, maybe a week?  those two mastery ranks are within the same tier of weapons, so it really doesn't matter.

But then again, this isn't a thread about stradavar.

back on topic we go...

12 minutes ago, AXCrusnik said:

quoted pictures used the old models. With the new models it's literally the dagger and sword connected at the pommel area. Personally i was excited for this weapon until the release... I would have rather waited another 6 months for a split sword that can actually split mid mission.

8r4cA31.jpg

• Like 1