The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Corpus Galatine model swap

K7G5

Hello fellow Tenno!

My good friend Arrachey and I recently started working on a corpus themed skin/model swap for the Galatine greatsword.
He provides concepts and ideas while I'm responsible for all things 3D.

This item is WIP, I will add more pictures as we make more progress.

Concepts (by Arrachey):

Spoiler

choppa_dtl001_by_k4ve-da5z64h.jpg

choppa_dtl_ex001_o_by_k4ve-da5z64u.jpg

Low-poly model

Spoiler

lp_1_by_k4ve-da5z637.jpg

Wireframe:

lp_wf_by_k4ve-da5z62x.jpg

High poly model (Normal map and other textures will be baked using this):

Spoiler

hp_1_by_k4ve-da5z63p.jpg

hp_2_by_k4ve-da5z63c.jpg

Render (Textures are WIP):

Spoiler

choppa_rend_by_k4ve-da5z648.png

1 minute ago, Dawn11715 said:

Is it as long, as the original model?

If yes Id probably buy it when its ready.

Some engravings would be nice^^

The model is designed to have the same length as the original Galatine.

Engravings are a great idea, I'll consider it!

Just now, EliasK7 said:

The model is designed to have the same length as the original Galatine.

Engravings are a great idea, I'll consider it!

Oh great! I love the galatine, but the standard model is just so boring.

Im gonna save some steam wallet for you guys^^

16 hours ago, fredaven said:

I'm pretty sure DE have said they won't do weapons anymore due to them not selling.?

15 hours ago, Kasseopea said:

Would love to know that. Planning on some weapon skins of my own.

I just saw that they already had a tennogen galatine skin so I assumed the weapon is still open for submissions. Would love to know if that has changed

3 hours ago, Syncrasis said:

DE specified that there will be no more weapon swaps, I believe it was during a devstream. 

That's really a shame. And makes me want them to open up a Platinum TennoGen even more.

10 hours ago, fredaven said:

don't think theres a submission category for it though, nor that you can specify it when u press submit.

asf_by_k4ve-da64zgt.jpg

The tag for it is still available in the TennoGen tool though, so I assumed it's still possible to submit model swaps.

Well, to put it simply, there are cases that makes tennogen can be described as "inconsistent". The bottom line is DE are free to accept and reject anything they want.  There are guidelines, but it's not a rule that ties both parties. Nothing is guaranteed to be accepted just because you stick to the guidelines, nothing is guaranteed to be rejected because you stray away from the guidelines.

Just keep in mind that you basically gambles your work and time. Few people fell to a dark place because they can't accept that.

On 13/06/2016 at 1:01 AM, Rekkou said:

Well, to put it simply, there are cases that makes tennogen can be described as "inconsistent". The bottom line is DE are free to accept and reject anything they want.  There are guidelines, but it's not a rule that ties both parties. Nothing is guaranteed to be accepted just because you stick to the guidelines, nothing is guaranteed to be rejected because you stray away from the guidelines.

Just keep in mind that you basically gambles your work and time. Few people fell to a dark place because they can't accept that.

It doesn't cost them anything to put them in and i had a couple friends who bought them, pretty much 70% at some point bought at least one weapon skin, so the popularity or the expenses can't be the reason. 

My plan was it to make six Galatine models, one for each syndicate. Now i guess all goes down the trash

I don't see any real merit in just recoloring. And what is left? A complete remodel for a Warframe? That is tons of work if you want to do it properly. One for Liset / Mantis? I bet there will be objections and reason as to why those are not allowed to be too remodelled either.

The thing that is annoying about it - should they actually have banned remodelling of weapons from the submissions - is that they basically prohibit us from being creative about TennoGen, which was the reason it was created in the first place. Well, ok, the real reason was ofc to get them more money, but i mean the facade of it was about creativity.

I literally cannot imagine any reason (should it actually be true) except some really strange sort of jealousy. People keep to their Art Guide, they produce top-quality skins and everyone wins - DE get cash, the creators get some and the community has more stuff to choose from.

On 13/06/2016 at 1:40 AM, Kasseopea said:

It doesn't cost them anything to put them in and i had a couple friends who bought them, pretty much 70% at some point bought at least one weapon skin, so the popularity or the expenses can't be the reason. 

My plan was it to make six Galatine models, one for each syndicate. Now i guess all goes down the trash

I don't see any real merit in just recoloring. And what is left? A complete remodel for a Warframe? That is tons of work if you want to do it properly. One for Liset / Mantis? I bet there will be objections and reason as to why those are not allowed to be too remodelled either.

The thing that is annoying about it - should they actually have banned remodelling of weapons from the submissions - is that they basically prohibit us from being creative about TennoGen, which was the reason it was created in the first place. Well, ok, the real reason was ofc to get them more money, but i mean the facade of it was about creativity.

I literally cannot imagine any reason (should it actually be true) except some really strange sort of jealousy. People keep to their Art Guide, they produce top-quality skins and everyone wins - DE get cash, the creators get some and the community has more stuff to choose from.

DE is one of the most fan-oriented companies I've seen. They are going out on a limb to give us the opportunity to create things that will be mutually beneficial to both parties, and I cannot think of a more ideal situation. Controling what content gets added is crucial both in keeping the integrity of the vision for the game correct and in making sure that the pieces that are added don't have to fight with a saturated market to be seen. Limiting what types of items are added helps keep the market smaller, and thus gets more money to the content creators whose pieces are added.

As for weapons being the only way to express some sort of "true" creativity... I'm not sure where you're going with that. They've given us a huge amount of creative freedom to go about making things. Helmets and syandanas are that 100% made-from-scratch style that I think you're looking for. Skins might use the same geo but they're large canvases with lots of space to sculpt on and tons of skill is required to get the flow and balance of the skins just right. These things are all wonderfully challenging. 

They try a lot of things all time, sometimes they fail, sometimes they succeed. TennoGen overall has been a huge hit, but for whatever reason, they've been very iffy about weapons swaps. I know that the checkbox for TennoGen submissions has been removed after the Polycount contest, not sure why it's back but really, the best solution is to PM/email someone who actually knows what is going on IE Kary or Rebecca, maybe even the forum mods. There are lots of people ready to help out. Don't rely on us speculating peons for something you're gonna pour dozens of hours into.

____

Anyway, on topic with the thread: You have a great silhouette going on, I think it's very Corpus. I think this piece would benefit from picking out a few more small details in places you want to draw the eye to, maybe places like around the holes. I'm looking at the Amprex right now and I see some lines engraved just inside the edges of some the larger panel shapes, it gives more of a "layered metal" feel. There are also little details that break up the straight lines, like brackets and places where the metal sticks out a little for screws. When working with emissive masks, I've noticed that wherever you add it, it flattens out the texture, so you want to minimize the surface area of emissive. I think those inner shapes and the shapes on the hilt, including the Y shape, might be a bit thick. If you added an edging on the inside to make those lines thinner, it would help in making the metal look layered as well.

The Warframe style in general seems to dislike single edges on corners/bevels, what I tend to do is bevel off an area and then carve a panel line right in the middle of that bevel, if you do it right it will look like layered metal.  Here's a quick sketch:
josfiajwefa_zpse0fgoqja.jpg

I hope that helps! Keep up the great work :)

1 hour ago, Syncrasis said:

DE is one of the most fan-oriented companies I've seen. They are going out on a limb to give us the opportunity to create things that will be mutually beneficial to both parties, and I cannot think of a more ideal situation. Controling what content gets added is crucial both in keeping the integrity of the vision for the game correct and in making sure that the pieces that are added don't have to fight with a saturated market to be seen. Limiting what types of items are added helps keep the market smaller, and thus gets more money to the content creators whose pieces are added.

As for weapons being the only way to express some sort of "true" creativity... I'm not sure where you're going with that. They've given us a huge amount of creative freedom to go about making things. Helmets and syandanas are that 100% made-from-scratch style that I think you're looking for. Skins might use the same geo but they're large canvases with lots of space to sculpt on and tons of skill is required to get the flow and balance of the skins just right. These things are all wonderfully challenging. 

They try a lot of things all time, sometimes they fail, sometimes they succeed. TennoGen overall has been a huge hit, but for whatever reason, they've been very iffy about weapons swaps. I know that the checkbox for TennoGen submissions has been removed after the Polycount contest, not sure why it's back but really, the best solution is to PM/email someone who actually knows what is going on IE Kary or Rebecca, maybe even the forum mods. There are lots of people ready to help out. Don't rely on us speculating peons for something you're gonna pour dozens of hours into.

They promised less grind and brought out Equinox. They release a raid, hyping it up to the skies and the great reward for it is 1/Xth of a minor improvement you could strip to your syandana / helmet. They asked us what primed mod we want and brought out primed fast hands instead of streamline. I am sorry, but they are the most user unfriendly dev team i ever witnessed. Maybe i somehow always saw the bad sides, but that's my experience and that is what i can tell from personally. Maybe they are all angels in disguise, the hell i know. Just haven't seen any of it yet.

I haven't said weapons are the only way to express true creativity either - i said recoloring alone isn't really doing it for me and modelling a complete warframe is a little too much trouble. It would take weeks to create a model that is high quality and tweaked to perfection - don't really have the time for it. And it would be for one Warframe only. A weapon can always be used and personally for me just more fun to make, since it has to embody elegance and deadliness at the same time. Personal preference, that's all, not insulting or dismissing anything or anyone.

I guess i will make the swords anyway. If they re-impliment the whole system - i already have something to submit. If not - still a good addition to my portfolio.

Edited by Kasseopea

• 3 weeks later...

I like it. Galatine is a fav of mine so I'm happy to see people making skins for it. Will it be electrified like melee corpus weapons often are?

Even if it doesn't get accepted, cus DE is confusing with weaopon submits, I really do think that the weapons will become noticed again. Then we'll have nice skins for weapons and frames; maybe more people will start to do weapons too.

Edited by Espelonia