Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frost vs Kela De Thaym

UnderFiend

Question

Last night my partner and I tried to take on Kela De Thaym in a two-person team and we didn't have great success. I'm sure Kela being level 50 didn't help, but I was confused by the number of times we both went down or were insta-killed (never mind our poor companions) while my globe was up.

The first run, I used globe a few times between orbital strikes and it seemed like even the first round of strikes were getting to the globe, to the point where even with a fresh x3 globe, I'd get hit and most of my health would be gone. I assume it was splash damage as I recall only having major issues negating the strikes.

I went back after switching to an armor-focused build with about 725 armor - maxed Steel Fiber, Intensify, and Armored Agility, but this went even worse than the first run which we did finish with much difficulty. It felt like we had found the line between "challenging" and frustrating.

Whenever Kela was in the globe it was fine, but the orbital strikes were the worst to deal with. My assumption was splash damage was getting through the globe since on the first run I used a balanced build but on the last one, I went armor focused without stretch or efficiency. I know I've seen frosts tank the strikes before in teams; most times I ran this mission in a PUG and there was a frost, we were able to virtually stand there under the globe taking no damage and were easily able to hit the switches to progress the fight. When I tried to do it, there was a lot of reviving.

Can anyone suggest a good frost guide for this fight? I don't use frost much so I suspect I did something wrong. Am I right to assume splash damage from the orbital strikes was what got through my globe?

Did Kela's level effect the strike strength? I saw on the wiki that it's best to refresh the globe after each strike, but does that mean after each missile impact or each round of strikes? I was refreshing or using globe multiple times per strike and could seem my globe's health dip from 100 to 87 on the first strike, but I kept it about 50 at all times yet still took heavy damage.

Thanks

12 answers to this question

Only suggestion I have is make sure your globe is large enough to protect against the splash damage.  My normal Frost build for Grineer has 190 power range so it's a decent sized globe.  I was never touched by orbital strikes or Kela's missiles with that build.

Aside from that, keep in mind that your globe can have a massive amount of hp if you reinforce it enough (1 million hp is max i believe).  Maybe your three stacks just wasn't enough.  Stack it more for a stronger globe.  Bring energy pizzas if needed, or if you have Zenurik be sure to activate it before starting the fight.

Refreshing the globe restarts its 4 second invulnerability phase. With that in mind, since splash damage goes through the globe, it's range you need, not strength or armor (at least not for the orbital strikes).

I haven't tried it myself, but you shouldn't have problems if you have a big enough globe and the strikes hit during the 4 second invulnerability phase. The globe flashes during the invulnerability phase so you can tell when it's ended. Not much point in refreshing before those 4 seconds are up.

However, actually getting your globe big enough to avoid the splash damage may require Overextended and/or Cunning Drift, not just Stretch.

Alternately, you can try just running in an orderly circle on the ring surrounding the center stage. At some point the bridges forming that ring retract, but you can still hop from platform to platform. Just go in a circle and you'll be completely safe from the orbital strikes.

52 minutes ago, AgentSkye said:

Refreshing the globe restarts its 4 second invulnerability phase. With that in mind, since splash damage goes through the globe, it's range you need, not strength or armor (at least not for the orbital strikes).

I haven't tried it myself, but you shouldn't have problems if you have a big enough globe and the strikes hit during the 4 second invulnerability phase. The globe flashes during the invulnerability phase so you can tell when it's ended. Not much point in refreshing before those 4 seconds are up.

However, actually getting your globe big enough to avoid the splash damage may require Overextended and/or Cunning Drift, not just Stretch.

^ This. Range+Eff > Str/armor

Also, https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/4qjamz/a_hopefully_helpful_graphic_for_fellow_frosties/

iirc +60% is needed for safety from Ogris rockets, I assume Kela's bombardment is the same AoE.

Edited by Chroia

I added Stretch and kept recasting; things went a lot more smoothly. I went down at the end while facing Kela face to face (had already taken damage by that point) but that was the only time. I was able to do it with a MR8 Mag that kept her more or less Magnetized which helped a lot, but the Mag kept going down since she left the globe multiple times.

Regardless, I feel like it was a successful run and I got the mod I wanted.

Thanks for all the advice!

Edited by UnderFiend

On 19/07/2016 at 4:51 AM, (PS4)lhbuch said:

This is probably true for at least 90% of the defenses on this game as well right? Not smaller, not bigger...

Yes, it's a very good size. Large enough to protect against Bombard aoe, small enough that enemies aren't constantly inside.

As for Limbo, Cataclysm would protect against the rockets, but wouldn't it also prevent the team from shooting the switches?