Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe: Medieval or, Stick to the Ninja Theme

(PSN)bddacres

Just now, (PS4)bddacres said:

I am well versed in european military technology and feudal culture but, if you've ever seen Berserk and seen Guts swing that blade you got to admit it would be cool to have a flat blade in warframe.

That sword should also rip his arms of every time he swings it, it's an almost 3inch thick blade that is almost as tall as him... It's more of a giant club with a slight bevel on the side.

Just now, SilvaDreams said:

That sword should also rip his arms of every time he swings it, it's an almost 3inch thick blade that is almost as tall as him... It's more of a giant club with a slight bevel on the side.

Im refering to it as a design. Warframe doesn't currently model itself as realistic. As a result, designed aren't limited to whats practical or not.

1 hour ago, Neo3602 said:

I'm not saying that fantasy themed deluxe skins would be bad, some more fantasy themed deluxe skins would be awesome(Knight Excalibur anyone?). My point was more that Warframe incorporates a variety to themes in influences in it's design which is one of the things that I like about it.

Yus, we need knight excalibur

I like that Warframe's design tries, and is multi-cultural, but I do like the Eastern influences especially, and I want to see way more frames and such looking like that. For me, it makes Warframe stand out among the other sci-fi/futuristic MMORPGs out there, which are mostly European/Western in design and aesthetics.

18 minutes ago, (PS4)CommanderC2121 said:

We have a pirate frame and soon will have a fairy frame. Whats wrong with a knight frame?

Technically we have both already... Oberon.

Oberon is a fairy and a knight, and before someone says he's a paladin... Paladin are just holy Knights!

Edited by SilvaDreams

Both, and also pirats.

I think that warframe should meld and reframe all human culture. Having hindu warframes and design (not to mention fancy weapons) is ok.

Frames related to First nation (America precolonial) is also ok.

After that design which is not copy of history, but more creation of what is possible. (lady gaga frame)

Edited by felixsylvaris

Despite the "ninjas play free" tagline, I'm noticing much more western inspiration in Warframe's designs. You have Excalibur as the poster child of Warframe. There's weapons like the galatine and the sword and shield one. Hydroid is obviously inspired from British pirate myths. Mirage references greek mythology. Inaros is obviously inspired by Egyptian mythology.

There's more ninja things in the design of things - katanas, glaives, shurikens, claws. The movement system obviously reminds of ninjas. But only because they were unrestricted by armor. Knights could barely get on their horse by themselves, let alone parkour on rooftops.

I'll keep yapping that I want arabic-inspired warframes and lore. It's what I *WANT*. Probably not going to get it.

The art direction have some clear generations.

1. Excalibur, Mag, Trinity, Loki, Volt, Rhino, Frost

These were insectoid, very clear bodies and with few defining traits.

2. Banshee, Ember, Valkyr, Saryn

More unique and a step away from the plain design of Gen 1.

3. Nekros, Oberon, Limbo, Hydroid,, Mesa, Chroma, Mesa

Oriented around Themes these are design-heavy and begin to be really obvious in terms of inspiration. 

4. Wukong, Equinox, Atlas, Mirage, Inaros, Ivara.

These are very removed from Gen 1, more fantastic and more fantasy than sci-fi. Use of color is much more important. 

5 minutes ago, QuietBiro said:

Despite the "ninjas play free" tagline, I'm noticing much more western inspiration in Warframe's designs. You have Excalibur as the poster child of Warframe. There's weapons like the galatine and the sword and shield one. Hydroid is obviously inspired from British pirate myths. Mirage references greek mythology. Inaros is obviously inspired by Egyptian mythology.

There's more ninja things in the design of things - katanas, glaives, shurikens, claws. The movement system obviously reminds of ninjas. But only because they were unrestricted by armor. Knights could barely get on their horse by themselves, let alone parkour on rooftops.

I'll keep yapping that I want arabic-inspired warframes and lore. It's what I *WANT*. Probably not going to get it.

Persian genieframe? That look would be beautiful.

4 hours ago, QuietBiro said:

Eastern influence ... Americas are the western.

Knights were quite fluid in armor: they began official training around 13 so they were quite used to average armor.

Ninjas didnt prefer combat and usually were sent on stealth missions. Where as a well trained knight come take on multiple targets with ease

Edited by (PS4)bddacres

55 minutes ago, (PS4)bddacres said:

Eastern influence ... Americas are the western.

Knights were quite fluid in armor: they began official training around 13 so they were quite used to average armor.

Ninjas didnt prefer combat and usually were sent on stealth missions. Where as a well trained knight come take on multiple targets with ease

Armor weighs. Quite a lot. A full plate armor is roughly 70pounds. As that weight is spread around, it doesn't feel like carrying 70 pounds and knights could run in it, but it still heavily inhibited movement. One of the reasons for the development of full plates is the way the west waged war. It wasn't about fighting technique, it was about one army ramming another and crushing it through brute force alone. The need for plate was then to withstand weapon blows. It's also why full plate fell out of fashion in the 1650s when guns entered the battlefield, as they could penetrate it easily. This resulted in people going into battle with lighter armor than before with cuirassiers still wearing breastplate. 

Ninjas are assassins and you'd prefer a sneaky approach when trying to assassinate someone. Where a ninja can infiltrate a guarded home and kill its owner without raising the alarm, a lone knight would fail, especially without his armor. They're very different type of fighter for very different purpose. A ninja on a European battlefield is dead, just like a knight trying to infiltrate a well guarded Japanese home. 

Everything to the left of Austria on the map is considered the proverbial "west". Nobody says "the east" imagining knights, churches and crusades.

1 hour ago, QuietBiro said:

Armor weighs. Quite a lot. A full plate armor is roughly 70pounds. As that weight is spread around, it doesn't feel like carrying 70 pounds and knights could run in it, but it still heavily inhibited movement. One of the reasons for the development of full plates is the way the west waged war. It wasn't about fighting technique, it was about one army ramming another and crushing it through brute force alone. The need for plate was then to withstand weapon blows. It's also why full plate fell out of fashion in the 1650s when guns entered the battlefield, as they could penetrate it easily. This resulted in people going into battle with lighter armor than before with cuirassiers still wearing breastplate. 

Ninjas are assassins and you'd prefer a sneaky approach when trying to assassinate someone. Where a ninja can infiltrate a guarded home and kill its owner without raising the alarm, a lone knight would fail, especially without his armor. They're very different type of fighter for very different purpose. A ninja on a European battlefield is dead, just like a knight trying to infiltrate a well guarded Japanese home. 

Everything to the left of Austria on the map is considered the proverbial "west". Nobody says "the east" imagining knights, churches and crusades.

"Espionage was the chief role of the ninja. With the aid of disguises, the ninja gathered information on enemy terrain and building specifications, as well as obtaining passwords and communiques."

Ninjas are not warriors despite what Hollywood sells to the public. They did perform assassinations but like you said it relied heavily on stealth. They aren't bred fighter as Knights were. Comparing a Knight to a Ninja is stealth is non proportionate as both do not actively practice this. The Greatest Ninja didnt even die in a battle; he died attempting to flee from a failed mission.

I honestly think it's a bit of both. But if we were to see them as knights...hmm...the samurai lived by the "Bushido code" which also damn near the same as the Medieval knights' "Chivalry". So i guess that would make them...high tech...samurai...knights?

You know the whole "Tenno honor" shebang, is also very much like the Bushido code/ Chivalry(or it tries to be), and from what I've observed over the years, is that the stalker is the one who mimics a ninja the most (sort of), with the assassinations he does, attacks when you are at your weakest and all that stuff when to a samurai and a knight that was considered dishonorable which is why those acts were left to the ninjas or rogues/thieves, who didn't care about being honorable but only about getting the job done by any means necessary. 

Which is why i say, a bit of both as we pretty much do face with honor but also do what needs to be done to achieve our goal.

Edited by Shad0wWatcher

Just now, Diana.K said:

debatable.

On-topic: Why not at this point, we have fairies, necromancers, mummies and John Cena so a knight certainly won't hurt.

I mean i just don"t like the ninja theme as it is kind inaccurate which strangely bothers me. Ninjas were more like the spys of today, Not magical warriors. Samurai or knights would fit the theme better

1 minute ago, Shad0wWatcher said:

I honestly think it's a bit of both. But if we were to see them as knights...hmm...the samurai lived by the "Bushido code" which also damn near the same as the Medieval knights' "Chivalry". So i guess that would make them...high tech...samurai...knights?

You know the whole "Tenno honor" shebang, is also very much like the Bushido code/ Chivalry(or it tries to be), and from what I've observed over the years, is that the stalker is the one who mimics a ninja the most (sort of), with the assassinations he does, attacks when you are at your weakest and all that stuff when to a samurai and a knight that was considered dishonorable which is why those acts were left to the ninjas or rogues/thieves, who didn't care about being honorable but only about getting the job done by any means necessary.

Ninjas weren't warriors. That is just Hollywood propaganda. Ninjas typically just gathered information. They werent this dishonorable peasant assassin caste some were just samurai who practiced ninjustu.If needed then a ninja could be trained as an assassin but still it wasnt a primary force  

Just now, (PS4)bddacres said:

Ninjas weren't warriors. That is just Hollywood propaganda. Ninjas typically just gathered information. They werent this dishonorable peasant assassin caste some were just samurai who practiced ninjustu.If needed then a ninja could be trained as an assassin but still it wasnt a primary force  

It differs but sure you got a point, but eh "wiggity waggity pop-culture silent mist no jutsu"