Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are these new quests really worth the wait?

TheGodofWiFi

I joined only three months ago but from what i can tell, before the second dream there were no cinematic quests and major updates were rolled out like five times a year.

now de are a small studio when compared to other devs, so these new cinematic quests must take a long time for them. my question is, is it really worth it? I mean don't get me wrong i love this game and it's lore, but when I look back at all these previous updates it seems like de were doing a lot more before they got enough funds for a mocap studio (I think that's what it's called correct me if I'm wrong), thus gaining the ability to do cinematic quests.

the second dream came out in December last year. it's now july, Sven months later and we've only now getting the last part of a major update.

idk it just seems like de arent really fit for cinematic quests. they're definitely good, but will it always be half a year for each major update from now on?

Yes, they're worth it. They don't just spend time on the quest. They've rebuilt the game's mechanics in the last major updates.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Update_7

Also that post shows that the time between major updates has been fairly consistent.

Update 17 to 18 was from July to December

Depending on the amount of content created depends on how long it takes for the update to roll out. 

15 to 16 was from October of 2014 to March of 2015. The earlier updates didn't push out as much content as these do. They take time. Don't rush them.

11 minutes ago, BlazerEraser said:

Right, but it's not like they did nothing between 2nd dream and War Within, and all quests before were just gimmicks.

It's nice to have SOME semblance of quality story telling.

I'm all for quality story telling but waiting half a year for each quest? I know de work hard on them, I'm not saying they don't. but i feel like the wait for these quests really hurt the game overall. i mean the appeal of Warframe as an tpsmmo is that it updates regularly with fun updates. 

but since the second dream they've set a bar for themselves and imo it just seems a little high for a game of this type.

Edited by LorianTheElderPrince
Mistakes

Just now, LorianTheElderPrince said:

I'm all for quality story telling but waiting half a year for each quest? I know de work hard on them, I'm not saying they don't. but i feel like the wait for these quests really hurt the game overall. i mean the appeal of Warframe as an fpsmmo is that it updates regularly with fun updates. 

but since the second dream they've set a bar for themselves and imo it just seems a little high for a game of this type.

Look at the quality of current, 'long-wait' updates, compared to older updates. While we do wait longer on these major updates, we get much more content, that content is far more game-changing, and we get huge amounts of lore now. Not only that, but in between the wait, we get little bits of new content that keep people happy.

Overall, in the numbers, such quests are good for Warframe, as they're what really attract people to Warframe. Worry not.

1 minute ago, JSharpie said:

Yes, they're worth it. They don't just spend time on the quest. They've rebuilt the game's mechanics in the last major updates.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Update_7

Also that post shows that the time between major updates has been fairly consistent.

Update 17 to 18 was from July to December

Depending on the amount of content created depends on how long it takes for the update to roll out. 

15 to 16 was from October of 2014 to March of 2015. The earlier updates didn't push out as much content as these do. They take time. Don't rush them.

fair enough. it just seems like the game is kind of dead from the waiting in my experience. I have a few console buddies and they've stopped playing entirely. im a little concerned that a lot of people especially the vets are experiencing heavy burnout and "Warframe fatigue".

1 hour ago, LorianTheElderPrince said:

I'm all for quality story telling but waiting half a year for each quest? I know de work hard on them, I'm not saying they don't. but i feel like the wait for these quests really hurt the game overall. i mean the appeal of Warframe as an fpsmmo is that it updates regularly with fun updates. 

I disagree. It's not like they just shell out quests every six months and that's it. We get major changes. You didn't even see Parkour 1.0, or damage 1.0. The game changes drastically with major updates and usually for the better. Not to mention we get things inbetween and the 0.5 updates are usually huge.

Edit: To quote your post above mine but be lazy and not actually copy and paste it. That's always happened, it happens with every game. I've never met anyone who plays the same game consistently for years, they always take breaks. The reason WoW and EVE had players who played consistently for years is partly because it was a constant subscription. People would feel buyers remorse if they didn't play after they payed for their subscription.

Edited by JSharpie

6 minutes ago, LorianTheElderPrince said:

Here's another perspective on this, Warframe didn't budge lore-wise for a few years, i'm kinda happy they finally settled on something because that means we might actually have a full story and eventually...an ending. Story ending, mind you, gameplay might still be there, but it wouldn't surprise if they want to move on to another project/game.

6 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

Look at the quality of current, 'long-wait' updates, compared to older updates. While we do wait longer on these major updates, we get much more content, that content is far more game-changing, and we get huge amounts of lore now. Not only that, but in between the wait, we get little bits of new content that keep people happy.

Overall, in the numbers, such quests are good for Warframe, as they're what really attract people to Warframe. Worry not.

I was more attracted to Warframe because of how cool you can make your character look with all the accessories and the weapon variety. lores kind of on the back burner for me. 

6 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

I disagree. It's not like they just shell out quests every six months and that's it. We get major changes. You didn't even see Parkour 1.0, or damage 1.0. The game changes drastically with major updates and usually for the better. Not to mention we get things inbetween and the 0.5 updates are usually huge.

point taken. they are introducing major new mechanics in war within. also what did parkour 1 look like? 

Edited by LorianTheElderPrince

6 minutes ago, LorianTheElderPrince said:

fair enough. it just seems like the game is kind of dead from the waiting in my experience. I have a few console buddies and they've stopped playing entirely. im a little concerned that a lot of people especially the vets are experiencing heavy burnout and "Warframe fatigue".

Also, remember that you're getting this perspective from the Umbra thread, where everyone gathers to complain about delays and swap tinfoil hat conspiracies about how the game is doomed, doomed!...unless DE release Umbra.

1 hour ago, LorianTheElderPrince said:

Two words, Stamina Bar.

Just now, LorianTheElderPrince said:

I was more attracted to Warframe because of how cool you can make your character look with all the accessories and the weapon variety. lores kind of on the back burner for me. 

point taken. they are introducing major new mechanics in every .0 update now. also what did parkour 1 look like? 

Fair enough. But there's nothing to worry about, mate.

As for Parkour 1.0, it was basically people only running 1 melee weapon, and then flipping at lightspeed across the map. Very broken and unfair, and it limited melee choice.

1 hour ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

As for Parkour 1.0, it was basically people only running 1 melee weapon, and then flipping at lightspeed across the map. Very broken and unfair, and it limited melee choice.

https://giant.gfycat.com/MealyBiodegradableCusimanse.mp4

courtesy of https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/3niryv/reminder_of_what_parkour_10_was_like_preu17/

1 minute ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Also, remember that you're getting this perspective from the Umbra thread, where everyone gathers to complain about delays and swap tinfoil hat conspiracies about how the game is doomed, doomed!...unless DE release Umbra.

not really. my console friends were complaining about it long before I joined. in fact their whining was what caused me to look this game up the first place xD 

1 minute ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

really? that sounds fun. flipping around at light speed.

58 minutes ago, LorianTheElderPrince said:

not really. my console friends were complaining about it long before I joined. in fact their whining was what caused me to look this game up the first place xD 

Except you would go so fast you would glitch out of the map most of the time and not be able to come back. It's why DE originally made the /stuck command.

4 minutes ago, LorianTheElderPrince said:

point taken. they are introducing major new mechanics in war within. also what did parkour 1 look like? 

All your actions were limited by how much stamina you had... otherwise in basic practice you could do many of the same things, some actions such as wall running were harder to execute and aim gliding/bullet jumping was not an option. 

1 minute ago, LorianTheElderPrince said:

Is that why you posted this thread right after a conversation in the Umbra thread on this exact topic?

In any case, nah, coptering was really stupid. It basically meant that everyone used long whipping melee, and didn't even use it for its actual weapon properties but for how fast it could fling them. I much prefer having Parkour 2.0, and also having fully functional melee suites.

Edited by BornWithTeeth

58 minutes ago, 45neo said:

All your actions were limited by how much stamina you had... otherwise in basic practice you could do many of the same things, some actions such as wall running were harder to execute and aim gliding/bullet jumping was not an option. 

And there were parts of the map where you had to parkour pretty much perfectly, I would get stuck so often because of how unreliable it was. If you fell down in some void tilesets you almost couldn't get out.

And no double jumping.

20 minutes ago, LorianTheElderPrince said:

I joined only three months ago but from what i can tell, before the second dream there were no cinematic quests and major updates were rolled out like five times a year.

now de are a small studio when compared to other devs, so these new cinematic quests must take a long time for them. my question is, is it really worth it? I mean don't get me wrong i love this game and it's lore, but when I look back at all these previous updates it seems like de were doing a lot more before they got enough funds for a mocap studio (I think that's what it's called correct me if I'm wrong), thus gaining the ability to do cinematic quests.

the second dream came out in December last year. it's now july, Sven months later and we've only now getting the last part of a major update.

idk it just seems like de arent really fit for cinematic quests. they're definitely good, but will it always be half a year for each major update from now on?

half a year? its going to be 8+ months 

basically we are moving towards ONE update per year at the going rate 

not only has the idea of cinematic quests dragged DE to a near-standstill, but it has also caused ALL other content to get subpar attention/treatment =/ 

for two years we had like 8+ events a year, then in 2015 we had 3, in 2016? nothing ; we cant even have 1 interesting event a quarter? or at least 2 a year? =[ 

replayable quests have been being worked on for over 2 years now supposedly 

dont get me wrong, i think the quests are neat, BUT i am not confidant that the allocation of resources at DE is going in the correct direction =/

7 minutes ago, Plasmaface said:

Second dream was. I'll give DE the benefit of the doubt for this new update and it's quests.

Yeah.

Lorian, you said that you only started playing three months ago? Then I really don't expect that you would 'get' just how much of a bombshell Second Dream really was. Prior to Second Dream, the game was pretty much exactly what you said you came for, a fast paced, albeit pretty grindy, shooter where you can make your character look really cool. Second Dream was the creators of the game basically announcing that they were done laying groundwork, they were finished building the foundations, and that they were ready to begin truly telling us the story of Warframe. It really changed the game. 

For long time players, people who might have been playing for a couple of years and who went into that without spoilers? It was positively earth-shattering. To play a game for as much as two years, three, and then suddenly have the rug pulled out from under you, put face to face with, all of the goddamned things, after literally years of playing the game and thinking that you knew what was going on, a character creation screen? Yeah. That earns DE a lot of slack for pulling that off.

Edited by BornWithTeeth