Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma Is A Bad Tank

Chroma has the highest possible effective HP out of all warframes (not including full dmg immunity abilities), and one of the best dmg buffs in the game as well, by simply knowing these two facts u can quite obviously just straight up assume that hes a god-like tank.

I will add one more thing to help you make Chroma better. Use weps that regen health for you. As Chroma needs to take damage to get the best results he is very vulnerable to die during the few millisecs it takes to cast abilities and even after casting abilities he is soft at start. Remember when casting your Vex armor and Elemental ward as he needs to regen shields for getting that armor so that he doesn't get ripped a new hole to breath with when enemies hit his health. When I first played him on release I never understood him and left him in my inventory, Soon after that I got my hands on Furis and its augment for first class heals. After that my Chroma has never had problems dealing with lvl 200+ ever again.

My recommendation for you is use weapons like Hek(Vaykor or Vanilla), Sancti tigris in primary as these give you constant heal from procs so that you don't have to switch weapons much. Or you could use whatever primary you want and make your secondary healing type like Vaykor Marelok, Furis(Augment). I tend to run the latter one more. And yes Furis needs 5 forma to max but it's worth it.

Hail Furis!!

OBJECTION! *desk slam, points finger*

My 4 forma exilius arcane Ice Chroma has no trouble at all. He's the immortal god of tanks. You just need to invest at least 3 forma on him to truly make him into the monster tank he is. Inaros is way easier to mod, but you can't facetank lvl140 bombards and laugh as their rockets bounce off of you.

4 hours ago, blackshadow616 said:

video shows:

- full arcane guardian

- full set of healing mods from sentinels, syndicate weapons

With those kind of setup nearly every frame is kind of a tank.

I just missed the regular shadow step you´ll see in those videos most likely :3

I can't really agree with you OP. For reference I have 2 full sets of arcane grace on my inaros which makes him damn near indestructible but my chroma is still a better tank. I run 299% power strength on my chroma with max duration, an arcane grace syandana and arcane Barrier to get the max shield deplet.

10 hours ago, PancakePowderMix said:

So after investing 1 forma on chroma I realized he was a bad tank, enemies would tear apart my health even though I had vex armor and elemental ward up, and before you say anything my stats are

Power strength= 184%

Duration= 221%

If you want a better tank just use inaros

Chroma is a great tank, but it requires a very heavy investment to reach his full potential. Including two maxed Arcanes. If you put one forma into a Chroma, he's not going to be outstanding yet. 

If you're not going to invest the time required to make him a great tank, then he's not going to be one. Pick up Inaros instead. Chroma is obviously not for you. 

Edited by EthosP

12 hours ago, PancakePowderMix said:

this is my current mod setup

SQirmI9.jpg

Fixed your image.

Your problem really falls down to lack of shields.  Vex Armor requires you to take ~400 points of shield damage to max out its armor bonus.  You don't necessarily need Redirection, but Vigor is highly recommended.

In addition, you're Ice Chroma.  Ice Chroma has massive armor potential, but no sustenance to replace health lost to damage.  Put Life Strike on your melee weapon and use it religiously, or run Rejuvenation as your aura.

If you don't have Life Strike or can't comfortably melee enemies, then I suggest playing Fire Chroma.  You'll have less armor potential, but activating elemental ward will not only buff your max health, but also restore current health equal to the amount of the buff.  This lets it function as a pseudo-heal.  Fire Chroma actually benefits from a little less duration (NOT negative duration, you still need to have a decent duration on Vex Armor), so that he can use Elemental Ward more often.

Edited by Arkvold

Vigor adds 120% BASE shields and BASE Health for a grand total of 120 each in case of Chroma, which makes it a ahem less desirable mod in the first place.... 

As for the op, max Steel Fiber, max Vitality, Rage max , Blind Rage 7/10 , Streamline max , Continuity max  , Narrow Minded 8/10, Intensify max leaves you with some room to breath in terms of points (if you use Steel Charge) and a good performance on your 2/3 powers, both are above 200 power and duration) Build needs life strike capable melee to sustain itself as already said. It is also a 1 forma build. You can get better results by using more forma and upgrading some mods like Blind Rage and substituting Continuity with a maxed Primed Continuity.   

Edited by Numbsky1

Just now, Numbsky1 said:

Vigor adds 120% BASE shields and BASE Health for a grand total of 120 each in case of Chroma, which makes it a ahem less desirable mod in the first place.... 

This is true. It'd be a lot better to have Intensify. Also to never, ever use a flow(except for energy reduction) and instead either use COnstitution or Everlasting Ward.

The only reason people like to use Vigor is because they dont want to learn how to not sit in front of the enemies face all the time. You gotta get hit, run then get hit again to max your armor buff. Yes it's more tedious but it pays off in the long run.

2 hours ago, (PS4)Squarehead08 said:

You need redirection for that to be effective

When I use Chroma I bring my Raksa to recharge my shields. With a lower cooldown than sentinels' Guardian, by the time I have to recast Vex Armor my kubrow will be ready to cast Protect.