Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lore gaps

OverlordMcGeek

Could we discuss, civilly, about how the lore is caving into itself constantly? How DE should think a bit about the codex and events past before updating the game in the future. And how there should be some in-game references for the gaps between events that are inaccessible for new players(or players that joined a couple of months even after an event).

The most resent gap in lore is that current fissures create corrupted yet, Orokin tower neural sentries are what create them in the first place. (Btw can we have a new enemy in the void on how the sentry even captured and transformed the first corrupted)

Then there is the over elongated Alad V story we have that has no clear-cut explanation for it unless you have the power of the wiki(the codex still has next to nothing on this).

Edited by OverlordMcGeek

Yeah, the Corrupted thing is weird to me too.

In the Void Towers, it made sense - the Neural Sentry was just an automated defense that enslaved organisms and forced them to protect the tower. Obviously the Orokin are long gone, but the Neural Sentry is basically running on auto-pilot still.

Now, the Neural Sentry is somehow Corrupting organisms beyond the Void Towers. Why is it doing this? It no longer falls within a simple set of self-defense parameters. Also, shouldn't the Corrupted be fighting the Non-Corrupted units? They're enemies just as much as Tenno.

I remember when they first announced they were blowing up The Void - I think it was around 2 years ago - they said there would be a lore explanation for why and how it happened. Unfortunately, we got nothing. Of course, that was when the Star Chart would be divided into expanses for the Tenno Clans, etc...

But yeah, overall, they basically just put lore in the game as they come up with it, and disregard whatever doesn't fit with their current idea. I definitely think they should put more people to work fleshing it out and adding some more foresight, although they are getting better with that.

Neural sentries are corrupting enemies because there are tears in the void that are connecting the void to the various locations. The neural sentry is just doing its job, corrupting enemies it detects. How people think this is somehow a loophole is beyond me...

11 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

Neural sentries are corrupting enemies because there are tears in the void that are connecting the void to the various locations. The neural sentry is just doing its job, corrupting enemies it detects. How people think this is somehow a loophole is beyond me...

Plus, the Lotus tends to say these lines:

• "You aren't the first ones here. I'm detecting multiple enemy signatures and they're all under the control of the tower. Eliminate the threat."
  • "You are not alone. This tower is full of life forms, all corrupted by the Neural Sentry. Clean them out."
  • "Keep fighting. As long as the enemy is here, this tower is useless to us."
  • "The Grineer should have known better than to walk unprepared into an Orokin Tower. Let's clean up their mess."

They really need to go more in-depth about the Void. Right now I think everyone (or just me) is a little bit lost on it. I understand the rips is the void falling apart due to the Moon being pulled out? Seeing all those weird Doctor cracks in the wall on the Moon? But that shouldn't be the case. We have to act like we don't use Void Keys. Even then there's Vor saying that we use Void keys to get into the Void but new players wouldn't know what the hell a Void key is. So Void Fissures are the norm and it was always there before Second Dream. So why are there so many tares from the Void? Is it because of the Moon being put in during Orokin fall? Or was it there all the time? If so is that reason we can see Orokin ships during Sharkwing? There too many answers that need answering. I really love the game's lore but I feel like they need to stop expanding and start to do some answering...

2 hours ago, Ibro156 said:

Plus, the Lotus tends to say these lines:

• "You aren't the first ones here. I'm detecting multiple enemy signatures and they're all under the control of the tower. Eliminate the threat."
  • "You are not alone. This tower is full of life forms, all corrupted by the Neural Sentry. Clean them out."
  • "Keep fighting. As long as the enemy is here, this tower is useless to us."
  • "The Grineer should have known better than to walk unprepared into an Orokin Tower. Let's clean up their mess."

They really need to go more in-depth about the Void. Right now I think everyone (or just me) is a little bit lost on it. I understand the rips is the void falling apart due to the Moon being pulled out? Seeing all those weird Doctor cracks in the wall on the Moon? But that shouldn't be the case. We have to act like we don't use Void Keys. Even then there's Vor saying that we use Void keys to get into the Void but new players wouldn't know what the hell a Void key is. So Void Fissures are the norm and it was always there before Second Dream. So why are there so many tares from the Void? Is it because of the Moon being put in during Orokin fall? Or was it there all the time? If so is that reason we can see Orokin ships during Sharkwing? There too many answers that need answering. I really love the game's lore but I feel like they need to stop expanding and start to do some answering...

Void keys were a game mechanic that was semi-canonized in the game in an attempt to make a game mechanic fit better in the story. Nothing is saying that you aren't using a key to get into the void anymore, or that perhaps the Tenno (thanks to how video games work) always have had a way into the void that doesn't require a key and such keys are only needed for activating the portals to the void found on planets. Why fissures are a thing cant be related to the moon because they exist with or without doing the quest. They simply are a thing, possibly somehow related to how the Orokin used the void.

Orokin ships being seen on Uranus is likely related to the war with the Sentients as well as simply lost relics of the fallen empire.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, OverlordMcGeek said:

how the sentry even captured and transformed the first corrupted

Grineer/corpus opened portal like in void sabotage missions

Space magic rotted their brains

???

Profit (Praise the void!)

When it comes to lore, it's all over the place. I've said it before, DE is trying to take the trickle down, cryptic approach but it's not working because after all this time, the execution is letting us all down. Who or what is Stalker? The suspense has died. What are the Tenno? The letdown was real. What were the orokin? The mystery has become an annoyance.

So the easiest solution is to just say Alad V is an true orokin. Hopefull the V will stand for 5th as in he's related to some nobility. He's been killed so many times by the tenno then he magically appears back into canon without an explanation. Have Ballas be resurrected so he can actually explain things as hes an actually orokin. He should with with the tenno because 

1. He hates the sentients as much as we do
  2. He loved Margulis and the lotus appears to be using her image.

Have a Stalker Origin Quest to explain more in depth about why he hates us beside " he learned about trasference and went crazy" and this is where

Reveal an orokin emperor because it makes alot of sense.

Reveal who the Dax are.

At this point, to make the story work, one has to make the connections themselves until such a time that Digital illuminates the subject that one makes the connections in. There's a significant chance that, after we split Vor in half on Phobos and he was brought back through the sentries' influence emanating from his key, that old Vory Boy might be the one splitting the Void to trigger the sentry itself. In addition, one wonders if, since the Orokin never EVER trusted artificial intelligences beyond those with animal intellects, the Sentry could be the Cephalon of an Orokin, a loyalist Tenno broadcasting it's powers using the very medium of the Void itself as a conduit, or that the Sentry itself may have been commandeered by. . . "something beyond". There's even the possability that, having been raided so many times in the past, the Sentry has A) begun doing retaliatory/preventative strikes on certain positions, B) harvesting the local forces to replenish it's depleted reserves, C) begun attempting to expand outside the Void In an attempt to retrieve "it's stolen property". The final, most significant chance of all? Digital may even be takeing people's own theories and ideas and implementing them in the setting how they see fit. Heck, that's what the Stalker started as. 

2 hours ago, AM-Bunny said:

Yeah, the Corrupted thing is weird to me too.

In the Void Towers, it made sense - the Neural Sentry was just an automated defense that enslaved organisms and forced them to protect the tower. Obviously the Orokin are long gone, but the Neural Sentry is basically running on auto-pilot still.

Now, the Neural Sentry is somehow Corrupting organisms beyond the Void Towers. Why is it doing this? It no longer falls within a simple set of self-defense parameters. Also, shouldn't the Corrupted be fighting the Non-Corrupted units? They're enemies just as much as Tenno.

I remember when they first announced they were blowing up The Void - I think it was around 2 years ago - they said there would be a lore explanation for why and how it happened. Unfortunately, we got nothing. Of course, that was when the Star Chart would be divided into expanses for the Tenno Clans, etc...

But yeah, overall, they basically just put lore in the game as they come up with it, and disregard whatever doesn't fit with their current idea. I definitely think they should put more people to work fleshing it out and adding some more foresight, although they are getting better with that.

I honestly do not recall them ever saying it was going to literally blow up. I do recall players taking this very literal instead of figuratively and spreading this misinformation to everyone. Sheldon made that statement in regards to the rewards IIRC.

As for the Neural Sentry, i just assumed it's sending whatever it uses to enslave creatures through the fissure portals when they appear. It might as well do that if it's troops are being sent out as well.

Just now, EmptyDevil said:

I honestly do not recall them ever saying it was going to literally blow up. I do recall players taking this very literal instead of figuratively and spreading this misinformation to everyone. Sheldon made that statement in regards to the rewards IIRC.

As for the Neural Sentry, i just assumed it's sending whatever it uses to enslave creatures through the fissure portals when they appear. It might as well do that if it's troops are being sent out as well.

I didn't mean to imply that it was literal - but Sheldon did say that the re-distribution of the Void Rewards into the Starchart would be supported by the lore. What are these Fissures that have suddenly opened? Void Keys still exist in the lore, yet they aren't required to access The Void?

I guess the thing I find confusing about the Neural Sentry is why is it sending Corrupted through the Fissures? They aren't really troops, and the Neural Sentry doesn't have an agenda as far as I'm aware. In the Void Towers, it's just an automated self defense program. Actively trying to enslave creatures and spreading troops seems to imply more sentience.

It would've been nice to have a little blurb at least. It just seems like it was implemented quite sloppily. 

11 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

I didn't mean to imply that it was literal - but Sheldon did say that the re-distribution of the Void Rewards into the Starchart would be supported by the lore. What are these Fissures that have suddenly opened? Void Keys still exist in the lore, yet they aren't required to access The Void?

I guess the thing I find confusing about the Neural Sentry is why is it sending Corrupted through the Fissures? They aren't really troops, and the Neural Sentry doesn't have an agenda as far as I'm aware. In the Void Towers, it's just an automated self defense program. Actively trying to enslave creatures and spreading troops seems to imply more sentience.

It would've been nice to have a little blurb at least. It just seems like it was implemented quite sloppily. 

I honestly do not recall him saying anything about lore supporting it. I would watch the devstream, but it's been so long i don't remember which one it was.

I imagine the keys act as coordinates for specific towers? The locations in the Void that we currently have could probably be some coordinates that we have recorded to the Orbiter's navigation. I'd imagine that lore-wise, the other factions would definitely need to use keys to access the void, while the Tenno have an easier time getting there.

The fissure could be an anomaly of the Void that happen to lead to the towers located there. The Neural Sentry is probably sending things through there while it's open to acquire more troops to protect the towers. It's not a person so i don't think it has the capacity to question what the fissure is and what's on the other side. It probably just sees another pathway and more individuals to convert for the Orokin in that pathway. I consider them troops because they are meant to serve the Orokin and defend their towers. The Neural Sentry is just something to carry out that task for them.

I do agree that it would be nice to have some lore detailing the Corrupted, Neural Sentry, and their role for the Orokin.

18 minutes ago, EmptyDevil said:

I honestly do not recall him saying anything about lore supporting it. I would watch the devstream, but it's been so long i don't remember which one it was.

Yeah, it's been more than a year, but luckily I know a guy that keeps pretty close tabs on the Devstreams. It's here in case you're interested.

Edited by AM-Bunny
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, OverlordMcGeek said:
Spoiler

Could we discuss, civilly, about how the lore is caving into itself constantly? How DE should think a bit about the codex and events past before updating the game in the future. And how there should be some in-game references for the gaps between events that are inaccessible for new players(or players that joined a couple of months even after an event).

The most resent gap in lore is that current fissures create corrupted yet, Orokin tower neural sentries are what create them in the first place. (Btw can we have a new enemy in the void on how the sentry even captured and transformed the first corrupted)

Then there is the over elongated Alad V story we have that has no clear-cut explanation for it unless you have the power of the wiki(the codex still has next to nothing on this).

In a game about robot ninjas in space with guns (which just recently released new content to give us space cats with little outfits you can dress them in), it's important not to take anything too seriously.

Don't get me wrong, the lore in any story-based game is really important to many players, but sometimes lore takes a backseat to mechanics or gameplay or aesthetic. With Warframe, the trade-off between story and gameplay has me continually interested in lore and explanations, but never so much that I go hunting down every little detail to every answer for any question I may have. In part because I'm lazy, but mostly because I don't expect to find much: so much of the Warframe lore is unexplained and mysterious, which for me is kind of cool. It fits a distinct aesthetic. As one of many combat operatives, it's not always necessary for a Tenno to know more than the Lotus tells you, and the lack of explanation to so many things feels a little Dark Souls-esque in that it allows your imagination to fill in the gaps. And DE does fill in the gaps, just not all at once and at a much slower pace than other parts of the game. It was two and half years into the beta before they even pinned down what a Tenno and Warframe are.

The new addition of the Void Fissures is an interesting one, and it was definitely thought of as a way to re-invigorate acquisition of Prime parts first, Any development of the lore was just to make the mission mode make sense in-universe. There's stuff the game doesn't tell us, sure, but do we really need to know exactly what the Neural Sentry is, why it's doing this or how the Void Fissure happens in order to enjoy the game? For me, not really. It'd be cool to know, but I'm cool with imagining it or not really caring. We already faced one in the Second Dream, and maybe in a future update we'll get more into fighting the remnants of the Orokin. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AM-Bunny said:

Void keys lore wise are likely used to open the portals/gateways to the specific towers hidden within the void itself.

As for the Corrupted, nanobots anyone? Seriously how does this one go over everyone's head?

The Orokin had genetic and nanobot technology on lock down so it's not much of a stretch to think the neural sentry system wouldn't use namobots to convert fallen enemy units into an army.

9 hours ago, OverlordMcGeek said:

Eh, I wouldn't say caving into itself because not enough lore has been established to actually say that. We still don't know a whole lot about the universe we live in, and what we do know, we know only in fragments.

Currently for the neural sentries, the fissures seem to connect the towers to planets through the Void, my personal thought is that this tricks the sentry into believing that the surrounding enemies are inside its tower, thus activating its defensive corruption ability. As for the corrupted enemies it spawns, we know grineer and corpus regularly invade and try take over Orokin towers, only to be corrupted. This implies that the tower we use to open our relics has been attacked by corpus/grineer, and already has a standing army of corrupted soldiers to deploy at its whim.

I agree Alad's story is strange unless you've been in the events. But it's not caving in on itself, it's just not properly explained. That's remedied by turning the events into quests for new players to play through.

• Like 1

Oh, Corrupted are just a crutch made a permanent solution. I don't know what major update will do this, but to fix the lore we need a crapton of things, including something better than Corrupted as Orokin faction.

13 hours ago, SilvaDreams said:

Void keys lore wise are likely used to open the portals/gateways to the specific towers hidden within the void itself.

As for the Corrupted, nanobots anyone? Seriously how does this one go over everyone's head?

The Orokin had genetic and nanobot technology on lock down so it's not much of a stretch to think the neural sentry system wouldn't use namobots to convert fallen enemy units into an army.

Because there are visble "collars" on corrupted enemies. 

To everyone: There is a physical enslavement happening to the corrupted. Yes they go in and get corrupted when careless but the new fissures actively corrupt units in missions.