Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vey Hek

(XBOX)LegionRapier61

Question

So I will start by saying I am a relatively new player, less than 50 logins...  But what the hell is up with the Vey Hek boss fight?  I mean is there a certain frame I have to buy to beat this dude?  Because Volt doesn't seem to be a viable option.  

I am seriously starting to think that Vey is just a troll boss...  One spot that takes damage, steals your energy and halves your sheilds, buffs mobs, three encounters before you get him to the boss arena, oh and once it looks like he's dead...  he drops in a mech, regains his health and can now regen health from mobs as well as having a massive weapons upgrade..

Idk...  maybe I just suck, but this seems a bit overboard for the third boss in the game...  

Can anyone offer some helpful insight?

(Corrections)

Ok, so I was unaware that he requires mr5, he has been left unbeaten by me for some time now..

I was given the impression that I needed to beat him in order to unlock Mars..  

Edited by (XB1)LegionRapier61

16 answers to this question

He is NOT the third boss in the game. IIRC, he's MR 5 locked.

He is a tedious boss to beat, unbeatable solo for the unprepared.

Tips:

- Preferably use hit-scan weapons (braton, soma) for the first part, then any hard-hitting weapon for the second part (giant chicken).
- Seeing him shock a grineer unit, he's probably healing. Kill that grineer.
- I personally ignore the red drones (orbital strikes). Blue drones (propaganda/buff) are a threat for papery frames, and should be prioritized.
- Rhino is a solution, but not the ONLY solution. Mobility is key, camping isn't an option (seems he can fit in some tight corridors).
- USE CONSUMABLES.
- Do it as a team, if you really can't beat him 1v1

Edit: Beating Vay Hek is NOT a requirement for Mars junction. Besides, you're on consoles, meaning beating Jackal is the way for opening Mars IIRC.

Edited by p3z1
Grammar

9 minutes ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

View the junction to it and you'll get a list of things to do.

• Complete quest: Once Awake
  • Defeat 150 Frontier Grineer enemies on Earth
  • Collect 500 Rubedo in missions
  • Sabotage 3 Toxin Injectors at E Prime

You're talking to a console player, they don't have SotR yet

Hey Hek isn't a necessary boss to fight if you want to progress through the starchart, just to get to Pluto (pre-SotR.)

You only get Hydroid parts from him anyway so he's hardly worth your time. But I've been able to solo him with little to no problems with my Ogris and Zephyr modded for duration on her Turbulence, just keep your distance, fire only when you have a clear shot lined up, deal with mobs before they become a problem, and you shouldn't have too many issues with energy or ammo that way.

Use your mobility, especially with Zephyr, the longer you have your feet on the ground the worse you're going to do.

Edited by FLSH_BNG

12 minutes ago, FLSH_BNG said:

Hey Hek isn't a necessary boss to fight if you want to progress through the starchart, just to get to Pluto (pre-SotR.)

You only get Hydroid parts from him anyway so he's hardly worth your time. But I've been able to solo him with little to no problems with my Ogris and Zephyr modded for duration on her Turbulence, just keep your distance, fire only when you have a clear shot lined up, deal with mobs before they become a problem, and you shouldn't have too many issues with energy or ammo that way.

Use your mobility, especially with Zephyr, the longer you have your feet on the ground the worse you're going to do.

With Zephyr, Aviator is your friend. (when maxed, it reduces incoming damage by 20% while you're in the air.)

It is unlikely that you have this weapon at your point in the game, but a glaive with power throw and a maxed quick return will deal damage to him (if he is currently able to be hit) regardless of where the thrown glaive hits him since the explosion is rather large. Mine deals a good 3k damage per hit while I am using loki.

Actually, burst weapons worked fine for me and I had runs with Volt, Valkyr and Ember. Dex sybaris did the job.. However, I guess that Braton and Soma may work as well. That first phaze with shooting him in head is indeed PITA, but later when he gets that frame of his you can take him down quite easily since he is huge target.

I had this tactic where I was sticking to one place. For example, third time when you encounter him, just before he gets into his frame, I would hide into this giant tree or whetever it is and shoot him through this hole since he would be just right there in front of me(draining my energy but almost unable to shoot me since the tree and ground is blocking the bullets). You just have to take care of helios' launching missles at you. Vay Hek is able to enter that place from time to time, though it wasn't making a lot of problems.. I wasn't even bothering to use any ability, just weaponry. The primary goal was just trying to inflict as much as possible damage while he is vulnerable.

This might not be helpful, but it's just how I got through it.
~Good luck

Vay Hek's an easy fight.  Here's a strategy that can be used even at MR5 to kill him solo.

1. Get Rhino from Jackal (Fossa, Venus)
  2. Get the Hek (BP available in the market)
  3. Rank them to 30, mod to the best of your ability
  4. Enter the mission, Activate Iron Skin
  5. Wait for Vay Hek's face to open up when he uses his propaganda transmission ability
  6. Shoot him in the face
  7. Repeat steps five and six until he runs away
  8. Chase him down, then repeat steps 5, 6, and 7 at each phase until he enters the Terra frame.  Replace Iron Skin as necessary.
  9. Shoot him repeatedly from as close as you can get.  Aim for the face for maximum pain.
  10. Chase him around the room shooting him until the Terra Frame explodes and he runs away.

Congratulations, you won.  With Rhino and Iron Skin, you are invulnerable to the magnetic procs from his electric arc attacks, which means you don't have to worry about your energy getting sucked away.  The Hek is a really strong burst-damage shotgun, which is useful for this fight because Vay Hek only opens up his weak point periodically until the very end of the fight (when his entire body's a huge weak point.)

When Vay Hek was added to the game he was gated behind a key you could only craft using a number of rare resources obtainable only on the highest-level Grineer planet, and then only from one of the toughest units they had at the time. He was balanced for experienced players who had access to powerful equipment.

When he was changed to be freely accessible his node unfortunately wasn't re-balanced to take into account that newer players would run into him earlier and he'd be drastically overpowered compared to people who were working their way through Earth for the first time.

22 hours ago, Arkvold said:

With Rhino and Iron Skin, you are invulnerable to the magnetic procs from his electric arc attacks, which means you don't have to worry about your energy getting sucked away.

Just a note, but this isn't the case for the 4 seconds right after you cast Iron Skin.  You can still get mag proc'ed in the time that Iron Skin is soaking up damage.  (At least you can during the sortie assassination, but I don't think it would be any different for the regular boss fight.)