Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New archwing is horrible

D4K4R

Question

I played archwing regulary before Sotr and I really enjoyed it, the movement and mechanics were very good. Now, with this "overhaul" i cant move even half as fast as before, i often find myself upside down, which is really annoying. But I guess I will have to do it cause I need to level my archwing stuff.

If you know any tips that can help me, including movement and mechanics tips or about how to level my archwing stuff pretty fast, pleade let me know.

I feel really sad for this new archwing

well the speed is greatly reduced which i dont like either, however i suggest not thinking about what is up and down, i enjoy going to and turning to different angles as i fight i feel a bit more free compared to how it was before. and go to Neptune to level archwing the mobile defense, most enemies spawn there

plus just because it is new does not mean it is horrible 

Edited by Brickstar788

Movement takes some getting use to, but I really like how it feels. It does seem a bit slower, especially turning, but the overall feel I really like. 

I've heard a lot of people saying they feel upside down at times... which with 6 degrees of freedom in space, means you need to change your mindset. There is no "up" or "down". Don't try to stay "Up" in the direction you started. That direction doesn't matter. 

Another tip I can give is tap your space bar to give your self minor course corrections while turning. I use it a lot to not smack into walls while turning. 

Edited by Mutt2679

in trench run (which is the hardest for some players), just sprint (normal) through through the tileset, when you're coming to a corner or you're about to hit a wall or anything like that, just walk or if you're really close, break (reverse). also while you're sprinting, use afterburner in short bursts. 

12 minutes ago, Dumfing said:

there is no up or down in spaaaace

Try using the Fluctus, it certainly seems to think there is an up and down (it doesn't rotate with the archwing).

There may not be an up and down in space, but it still makes it significantly easier when there is a common plane to align too. We don't need a space sim, we just need fun.

12 minutes ago, SoulOfTheHunter said:

Try using the Fluctus, it certainly seems to think there is an up and down (it doesn't rotate with the archwing).

There may not be an up and down in space, but it still makes it significantly easier when there is a common plane to align too. We don't need a space sim, we just need fun.

The Fluctus does need to be looked at, I noticed that the other day. It should rotate with the archwing. 

As for your second statement, I think they should add in roll buttons or an auto rotate button to get you back to normal (If needed), but a lot of the point of having the 6 degrees of movement is so you can forget about having a common plane. The mini map rolls with you, so it's still functional and can keep you orientated going toward extraction or the objective.

8 hours ago, Mutt2679 said:

I think they should add in roll buttons

I believe there are already. It's something peculiar and seemingly undocumented. I tired it once and it didn't help much so the implimentation could be improved. I believe it was something like;

1. Assign a key to the alternative crouch in keybindings
  2. When in archwing, hold that key and A or D
  3. Rather than strafe it becomes roll

I saw it in a reddit post ages ago but it was too cumbersome to actually use. In the end (when I even bother with archwing) I do the waving-around-wildy technique to straighten up. The fact that there is a need 'straighten up' reinforces the need for an Up and Down.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/4vnlbv/to_fix_your_archwing_rotation_do_clockwise_or/

Just now, SoulOfTheHunter said:

I believe there are already. It's something peculiar and seemingly undocumented. I tired it once and it didn't help much so the implimentation could be improved. I believe it was something like;

I saw it in a reddit post ages ago but it was too cumbersome to actually use. In the end (when I even bother with archwing) I do the waving-around-wildy technique to straighten up. The fact that there is a need 'straighten up' reinforces the need for an Up and Down.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/4vnlbv/to_fix_your_archwing_rotation_do_clockwise_or/

I personally don't have a problem with not being able to "straighten up". It defeats the purpose of 6 degrees of movement. My gun doesn't care what direction it's pointing. 

I've heard a lot of people complain about it though, So I thought that would be a good solution. Good to know atleast it's in there. Even if it does need tweaked. Thanks for the info.

DE really needs to just admit Archwing was/is a failed experiment, and put their time into developing new non-archwing content.  Just remove it from the game before it's too late.  No shame in admitting something is bad.  The rest of the game is absolutely amazing and beautiful. 

Then there's archwing, which just mars an otherwise great game.  

Do the right thing, and remove it.

2 hours ago, Iysgeko said:

DE really needs to just admit Archwing was/is a failed experiment, and put their time into developing new non-archwing content.  Just remove it from the game before it's too late.  No shame in admitting something is bad.  The rest of the game is absolutely amazing and beautiful. 

What do they obtain from removing it vs keeping it?

8 hours ago, Iysgeko said:

I would not say it is totally failed. There are a few people (like me) that enjoy the occasional archwing space mission. And submersible missions are still an interesting twist on normal mission. 

1 hour ago, Vandalow said:

The new arch is usually for those who like to play healer, if you do not like to play as such, certainly will not like to play with the Amesha

This topic was about the Archwing Overhaul, not about Amesha.

2 hours ago, k05h said:

I would not say it is totally failed. There are a few people (like me) that enjoy the occasional archwing space mission. And submersible missions are still an interesting twist on normal mission. 

12 hours ago, Iysgeko said:

I really liked the initial movement mechanic of the archwing, although it wasnt very complex. I find the new movement and mechanics completely garbage, the missions are also harder becaue of this.

And probably this happened cause some kids complained about the first archwing being so lame and unspecial, so they turned it into a "flight simulator" which is really bad for an arcade game mode like this.

The backside swing is outrageous, I started just swinging back and forth in the opposite direction to go straight lol

your afterburners are pointed one way and you are sliding the other.

It's worst than Nezha at full speed

It's more like "WaddleWing", hope it's addressed soon

Best movement tips I figured out so far with the new archwing movementsystem:

If you are upside down, look up until the stuff around you looks right side up again, basically a 180 degree turn in what you perceive at that point as the up/down axis.

Roll control is easily achieved by dragging your mouse in small circles around the center of the screen. Clockwise rolls right, counterclockwise rolls left. Make bigger circles for a faster roll. I know this is far from ideal but it does work and can be pretty precise if you use small circles.

Both these techniques are more effective at low speeds, it can get really disorienting if used while boosting/sprinting.

Edited by PAX_NL
Edited for spelling.

The biggest issue I've found with the new archwing controls is that you can only use the afterburners to go "forward".  Before, you could just hold down the afterburner and still move freely, but now afterburner forces you to move in whatever direction the camera is pointing.

The new movement is cool in open space maps, but honestly feel terrible on Corpus tilesets because there actually IS an up and down in those maps so you do really feel upside down too often. 

I feel like the movement in Corpus tilesets should be reverted to the old one or at least we need a button to automatically adjust the orientation.. 

17 minutes ago, siralextraffo said:

The new movement is cool in open space maps, but honestly feel terrible on Corpus tilesets because there actually IS an up and down in those maps so you do really feel upside down too often. 

I feel like the movement in Corpus tilesets should be reverted to the old one or at least we need a button to automatically adjust the orientation.. 

I agree in Trench Runs, it is nearly impossible to not get disoriented. Best Example is the Rush mission on Kepler Phobos, since you actually have to be really fast since the tileset for that mission is so god damn big. 

1 hour ago, siralextraffo said:

Exactly! The new movement is ok in grineer missions, but REALLY annoying in corpus ones, leading to worse results.

I would really like DE to add the old movement too and to let us choose which movement type we wish, before or after the overhaul.

Or if this is impossible, make a poll about reversing to the old archwing movement or not and see what the comunity wishes.

On 8/2/2016 at 8:05 PM, SoulOfTheHunter said:

I tried that and all it did was Strafe left or right.  

On 8/2/2016 at 8:05 PM, SoulOfTheHunter said:

Now this method works and thank you for sharing it.  :D  It's a little slower than a true roll feature, but It works.  

13 minutes ago, SoulOfTheHunter said:

And to use it in mission you press Alt + D or Alt + A

Thank you for the clarification.  Strange that the function only works when you have a button set in alt controls.  Sadly, this won't help me when using my controller.  I will have to experiment more to see if I can get it to work later.  Thank you again for the advice.  Happy Hunting Tenno.

2 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Sadly, this won't help me when using my controller.

Unfortunatly I found that when the 5th ability came out (focus) controllers simply could not profide the necessary number of inputs :( There were too many combinations that negatvily impacted your ability to move freely while perfoming attacks, casting etc.