The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra Warframes (Discussion Thread)

Alright, it's my turn to add some WILD, DAFT SPECULATION WHICH IS CERTAINLY NOT TRUE

Hang on, I'ma put on some music.

We know that DE said that Umbra 'frames are the dark side of the Primes. Someone else, not sure who, made a crack about them being 'zombie Warframes'.

A lot of people speculate that the Stalker has no Operator. (We know that this is not true, as the Stalker's Operator is a pigtailed little girl Tenno, scowling in her sleep and grinding her teeth in her Transference pod, hidden aboard a Derelict in a far corner of the Void.)

A certain number of people feel that this would be better. They'd like to abandon their still too-human bodies and permanently migrate their consciousness into a Warframe, leaving their Operator body dead. This is a more polite way of saying that a lot of folks still seem super mega hurtmad about the Second Dream reveal. Whiet hot analpocalypse, buttdoctor verdict, etc.

MK Ultra K11 seems absolutely convinced that Umbra Warframes will not be compatible with Focus, but will instead use an 'Umbra' system which allows them to deploy the abilities of other Warframes. No idea where he's getting this but sure, what the hell.

What if an Umbra Warframe is so called because it is designed to be the shadow of a dead Operator?

All normal and Prime Warframes are designed to run with an Operator, and have no independent movement, thought, or action, but an Umbra 'frame is one which is specifically designed to permanently house the consciousness of a Tenno. The consequence of this is that the only way to activate an Umbra 'frame is to permanently Transfer into it, leaving your Operator body to die. This then cuts you off, permanently, from the Focus System, as only a living, breathing Tenno can use the great Schools. Those are powers which are independent of, different from, the Warframe, and those who inhabit the Umbras have permanently chosen the Warframe body over their biological, human forms.

The tradeoff there is that Umbra Warframes do have access to the powers of other kinds of 'frame. On the lore level, this is due to their design. Umbra Warframes save power and conduction space which would otherwise be used to maintain Transference, and instead can pack a fifth Warframe power, chosen and assigned before missions. You could probably only start with one or two such available powers, and slowly unlock the others through a skill tree.

On the gameplay level, you get this flexibility in powers because there's no going back. Once you go Umbra, you're dead, you can never again return to your body or switch to another Warframe, so to keep players happy, they make Umbra Warframes have a much more flexible power choice.

Would you switch into Excalibur Umbra if it meant that you could never come back out of it?

Yea looks like a Skana indeed, weird...

thats what i thought. and as we know Excalibur's exalted blade is modeled after a skana ...so maybe a hint to umbras animation?

Would you, though? Would you Transfer into Excalibur Umbra, if it meant that Umbra was the last 'frame that you would ever control?

no not really,  id go equinox  (dual nature is my addiction as of late) or trinity P

Edited by (XB1)EternalDrk Mako

Sorry I don't exactly get what you're trying to say?

i was flying over this thread and before i did so i readed in another thread which is allready gone about this theme, so it looks like i have had a missunderstanding as well as im more then tired of this discussions about the umbras, excal primes and such, i also have to mention the way as the excal primes was/are handled (the only symbol around is cash) im shure if i would be a founder i would step off being a founder

i mean, extra chat and all this "special attitudes" are simply poison in every thread which is discussed about, its not the players which do wrong, its the theme as it is handled by them which has given it

i have no bad meaning about as well as its a simple fact ... this theme is pure poison and i hope the umbras will be a creation which change this all

just for mentioning it a possible last time :-)

i was flying over this thread and before i did so i readed in another thread which is allready gone about this theme, so it looks like i have had a missunderstanding as well as im more then tired of this discussions about the umbras, excal primes and such, i also have to mention the way as the excal primes was/are handled (the only symbol around is cash) im shure if i would be a founder i would step off being a founder

i mean, extra chat and all this "special attitudes" are simply poison in every thread which is discussed about, its not the players which do wrong, its the theme as it is handled by them which has given it

i have no bad meaning about as well as its a simple fact ... this theme is pure poison and i hope the umbras will be a creation which change this all

just for mentioning it a possible last time :-)

weve already gone over that topic as well , mods did a cleanup and purge on this thread due to that

this (for whatever reason) become the umbra megathread i guess ....  and has had other threads + arguments merged into it 

some arguments are here and were answered with simple look of reviewing the OP  (original post)

plenty of the participating founders have been nothing but supportive and very informative in our discussion

here is a quote that i feel was well deserving of praise by siralextraffo, an active participant in this thread

siralextraffo, on 13 Jan 2016 - 1:13 PM, said:snapback.png

"A frame onto itself would make pointless him being Excalibur and the issue for those who want to use an upgraded poster boy would remain.

Sure, visually it would still be Excalibur, but if played differently it would disappoint many, and for a reason!

The community deserves a premium Excalibur version available to everyone, nothing more and nothing less."

well my line  of ideias is
Orokin created the
primes
then the
umbras 
then
prime win then war
and 
umbras killed the orokin
??????????????????
and the tons of years later
we get the regular ones
and we ?mining? the void
too get the parts from the primes too rebuild them
and later we will find 
the parts of the umbras some where else
my idea

well my line  of ideias is

Orokin created the

primes

then the

umbras 

then

prime win then war

and 

umbras killed the orokin

??????????????????

and the tons of years later

we get the regular ones

and we ?mining? the void

too get the parts from the primes too rebuild them

and later we will find 

the parts of the umbras some where else

my idea

Take a deep breath, and type that all out again, slowly.

Well, imo, if vanilla frames are uncomplete copies of primes, turning primes into the original "complete" form, shouldn't that turn umbras into a slightly enhanced version of primes?

or they are nothing but the low quality chinese copy of prime stuff

I think I'm leaving

Unless primes are the "pompous heroes" loved by everyone while umbras are kept on a low profile in order to get rid of the dirty job. This would make both of them contemporaneous and give them the same tools in different ways, just to give them different approaches into battle

primes are the original tenno frames created by the orokin

possible that the umbras are the blackops versions?

either that or the guardian cast concept again......

maybe the anti hero/ anti primes?

also food for thought

"As Rebecca has mentioned, we will be release a series of Umbra warframes (not skins), it is possible that there will be an umbra Excalibur as the first of the umbra series "

from this im going with its a split off maybe a category equivalent to primes just alternative in stats and powers 

Edited by (XB1)EternalDrk Mako

primes are the original tenno frames created by the orokin

possible that the umbras are the blackops versions?

either that or the guardian cast concept again......

mayeb the anti hero/ anti primes?

also food for thought

"As Rebecca has mentioned, we will be release a series of Umbra warframes (not skins), it is possible that there will be an umbra Excalibur as the first of the umbra series "

I do like the thought of Umbra being stronger than Primes and not so publicly known about. Devstream 67 is tomorrow. Hopefully we'll learn something.

Also that post is from ChangYou, and I will never ever trust them for obvious reasons.

In case you don't know, ChangYou is known for being notoriously shady and have stolen fanart off of the internet, claiming it is theirs and creating false lore for Warframe.

There's a lot of info research in here, not just speculation.

If you prefer, "mostly" speculation then.  Still, it's not my intent my to denigrate the conversation.  More... that I think it's unfortunate how silent they've been on official details for the Western release.