Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Player Toxicity

Alethkar

1 minute ago, Master-Nachash said:

Contempt????

Why are some people so sensitive about teabagging?

I really don't get it.

Forcing your digital scrotum in a unwilling (unlike they are you) person's face isn't exactly the definition of politeness.

Just because you never considered the psychological and ethical ramifications and justifications of something-- even if it is just pressing "C" repeatedly-- it doesn't mean they aren't there.

Why are some people so sensitive to analysis.

I really don't get it

2 minutes ago, tnccs215 said:

Forcing your digital scrotum in a unwilling (unlike they are you) person's face isn't exactly the definition of politeness.

Just because you never considered the psychological and ethical ramifications and justifications of something-- even if it is just pressing "C" repeatedly-- it doesn't mean they aren't there.

I really don't get it

No like, I get all of that.

But at the end of the day, it's just a game.

And it doesn't affect you in the slightest unless you let it.

What I don't understand is why people choose to allow it to annoy them, rather than choose to see the fun side of it, y'know, considering this is a game, and it's a common occurence in online shooters.

What I don't understand is why people choose to allow it to annoy them, rather than choose to see the fun side of it, y'know, considering this is a game, and it's a common occurence in online shooters.

Iunno, why do people being upset about getting teabagged bother you so much?  It's just a game at the end of the day.

5 minutes ago, tnccs215 said:

I really don't get it

people is always sensitive. some players bow in front of their oponents after a good skirmish or right before the match ends, and even if the bow is a sign of respect, some players take it more like a taunt. I guess the problem has more to do with how the receiving end takes the gestures than the intention of player doing it. (btw, I see more t-bag on pve when a teammate is down than on pvp, where the one trying to tea bag usually ends killed... at least out of recruit conditioning)

3 minutes ago, Master-Nachash said:

Perhaps the fact that I don't like to communicate with disrespectful a$$holes (and someone who teabags a stranger is fundamentally that) is a good enough justification?

This is just a game. That means I don't have to deal with stuff I don't like.

I'm not saying that tea-bagging should be "forbidden" (god forbid me someone accusing me of censorship), I'm just saying that someone who tea bags is an idiot.

I don't like to deal with idiots on my relaxing time, so I leave the game, and go have fun on my terms, with willing people. As one should.

And, as Noa said, why are you so offended about me not liking the same things you do on a game?

Just now, Noamuth said:

Iunno, why do people being upset about getting teabagged bother you so much?  It's just a game at the end of the day.

Because people are saying that others teabag out of contempt, and that it's toxic behaviour, when I teabag regularly in both PVE and PVP and it's neither out of contempt or toxicity, but just because I find it funny (I only really do it when I'm having a really enjoyable game and having a laugh for one reason or another), and as I said earlier, most of the time when I do it, I get it done back to me as well when I find myself in the same situation.

Personally I think it comes down to personal preference and that's all this thread highlights, as opposed to supposedly highlighting toxic behaviour.

Some people find enjoyment in it, because it's a funny, cheeky little interaction between players.

And some people don't.

That's the only issue here and it has a simple solution. 

That solution being taking responsibility for your own emotions and how you react to things.

Like I said previously, it cannot affect you in any way, shape or form, unless you let it.

So if you don't like it, don't let it.

If you don't enjoy it, and it happens to you, ok, fair enough, but don't demonise players doing it just because you personally don't get any enjoyment out of it.

I'd say that's more toxic behaviour than teabagging itself.

Because people are saying that others teabag out of contempt, and that it's toxic behaviour, when I teabag regularly in both PVE and PVP and it's neither out of contempt or toxicity, but just because I find it funny (I only really do it when I'm having a really enjoyable game and having a laugh for one reason or another), and as I said earlier, most of the time when I do it, I get it done back to me as well when I find myself in the same situation.

Personally I think it comes down to personal preference and that's all this thread highlights, as opposed to supposedly highlighting toxic behaviour.

Some people find enjoyment in it, because it's a funny, cheeky little interaction between players.

And some people don't.

That's the only issue here and it has a simple solution. 

That solution being taking responsibility for your own emotions and how you react to things.

Like I said previously, it cannot affect you in any way, shape or form, unless you let it.

So if you don't like it, don't let it.

If you don't enjoy it, and it happens to you, ok, fair enough, but don't demonise players doing it just because you personally don't get any enjoyment out of it.

I'd say that's more toxic behaviour than teabagging itself.

Uh-huh.

Because telling people how to feel isn't toxic.

4 minutes ago, -----LegioN----- said:

people is always sensitive. some players bow in front of their oponents after a good skirmish or right before the match ends, and even if the bow is a sign of respect, some players take it more like a taunt. I guess the problem has more to do with how the receiving end takes the gestures than the intention of player doing it. (btw, I see more t-bag on pve when a teammate is down than on pvp, where the one trying to tea bag usually ends killed... at least out of recruit conditioning)

There is no doubt there is always some room for gesture interpretation.

However, while bowing has a social connotation of being respectful, and does not invade ones... "personal space" (as far as a game go. Poor expression, but you get what I'm saying), it is not inherently bad. Yes, one could use it ironically or sarcastically, ence being disrespectful, but it depends on the context.

On the other hand, someone who shoves testicles on a strangers face can't really pass by respectful. Ever.

1 minute ago, tnccs215 said:

Perhaps the fact that I don't like to communicate with disrespectful a$$holes (and someone who teabags a stranger is fundamentally that) is a good enough justification?

This is just a game. That means I don't have to deal with stuff I don't like.

I'm not saying that tea-bagging should be "forbidden" (god forbid me someone accusing me of censorship), I'm just saying that someone who tea bags is an idiot.

I don't like to deal with idiots on my relaxing time, so I leave the game, and go have fun on my terms, with willing people. As one should.

And, as Noa said, why are you so offended about me not liking the same things you do on a game?

But people who teabag aren't necessarily being disrespectful buttholes. Some just do it because they find it funny and they're hoping that like them, the other guy will see the funny side of it and that maybe, just maybe, they'll have a nice little match-long interaction between them where they exchange teabagging sessions whenever they're downed, or just do it for no reason, doin the teabag dance whenever they come across each other in the match.

The problem isn't teabagging, the problem is people who see a problem with teabagging. The problem is perception.

As for the whole "this is just a game, that means I don't have to deal with stuff I don't like" - unfortunately, whenever you're involved with other people, you will and do have to deal with things you don't like, regardless of where you are or what you're doing. Not gonna lie, that's something I struggle with. I struggle to be tolerant of other players sometimes, not all the time, just sometimes, when I'm already in a bad mood. Particularly in PVP. But I still recognise the fact that tolerance is needed, and it's senseless to demonise other players just because they're doing something you don't appreciate that doesn't affect you in any way shape or form.

And I already answered noa's attempt to turn this around on me.

8 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

Uh-huh.

Because telling people how to feel isn't toxic.

I'm not telling anyone how to feel.

I'm presenting a simple solution.

Me saying, do this, or don't do that wasn't me telling other players what to do, you took that completely out of context and unjustifiably so.

If you read the entirety of what I said, I was clearly just highlighting a better way to approach the situation, to save yourself any annoyance.

Edited by Master-Nachash

4 minutes ago, Master-Nachash said:

-snip-

The problem isn't teabagging, the problem is people who see a problem with teabagging. The problem is perception.

-snip-

No, the problem is teabagging and people expressing their dislike for it, and now it's also you trying to tell us that we should just "get over it" because you think it's funny.

4 minutes ago, Master-Nachash said:

And I already answered noa's attempt to turn this around on me.

Not really.  You basically told me how I should feel, because it's how you feel. 

Just now, Master-Nachash said:

I'm not telling anyone how to feel.

I'm presenting a simple solution.

Me saying, do this, or don't do that wasn't me telling other players what to do, you took that completely out of context and unjustifiably so.

That is telling people how to feel, and yes it is simple, but it's not the correct answer.  You're in the right ballpark - it is perception.  You perceive this as a none issue because you don't see why people are bothered and players like tncc perceive this as an issue because they find it contemptible and rude.  The issue is that you keep pushing your idea of the "right" way to handle the overall situation.

1 hour ago, tnccs215 said:

There is no doubt there is always some room for gesture interpretation.

However, while bowing has a social connotation of being respectful, and does not invade ones... "personal space" (as far as a game go. Poor expression, but you get what I'm saying), it is not inherently bad. Yes, one could use it ironically or sarcastically, ence being disrespectful, but it depends on the context.

On the other hand, someone who shoves testicles on a strangers face can't really pass by respectful. Ever.

Tea bagging clearly isn't a sign of respect. Anyways, as long as there's no trash talk involved, it can get whatever connotation the receiving end decides to give it. 

5 minutes ago, Master-Nachash said:

Because people are saying that others teabag out of contempt, and that it's toxic behaviour, when I teabag regularly in both PVE and PVP and it's neither out of contempt or toxicity, but just because I find it funny

The toxicity of an action only rarely is seen by the enjoyment of the perpetrator-- indeed, most do it exactly because of that-- but yes by both the willingness and enjoyment of the "target". That is, there are many people who find it enjoyable to violently spank strangers, and that does not make it ok.

And you are arguing about how not accepting someone's "opinion" is toxic by itself, however mistaking acceptance with approval, and a logically justified disapproval with arbitrary distaste. I don't care whether you find teabag enjoyable, or not, and I'm not going to stop you from doing that to someone who is ok with it. But that doesn't mean I have to stop arguing how wrong it is.

This is a matter of personal taste, this isn't like liking pie over cake. This is a matter of actions, and actions can be good or bad: Moral or imoral. And tea bagging won't exactly ensure your entrance in the "good children" list of Santa Claus.

And as you said, this things only affect you if you let them.

Stop being so offended about me disagreeing with you.

1 hour ago, Shifted said:

I'm really not interested in looking at the person who killed me and would much rather spend those couple of seconds adjusting my loadout (or pressing quit game)

And miss that hilarious moment of karma when they try to tea-bag and get shot? xD

6 minutes ago, Master-Nachash said:

Using this argument, I could justify any disrespectful behavior I wanted. You don't like that I flipped you off? That's a problem of your perception. Don't like that I wolf-whistled at your girlfriend? The problem isn't me being disrespectful towards your girlfriend, it's you having a problem with me whistling. See?

People are supposed to know better than to disrespect other people. If you're doing something that you know the other person will almost certainly find disrespectful, then that's YOUR fault and you should stop. You can't excuse disrespectful behavior by pushing it off onto other people.

39 minutes ago, Master-Nachash said:

Contempt????

I really don't get it.

Maybe you don't understand the sexual connotations associated with it, or how bad it is in co-relation to a helpless victim.

*hint* tea-bagging in shooters has nothing to do with tea.

2 minutes ago, hammerheathen said:
43 minutes ago, Master-Nachash said:

Contempt????

I really don't get it.

Maybe you don't understand the sexual connotations associated with it, or how bad it is in co-relation to a helpless victim.

*hint* tea-bagging in shooters has nothing to do with tea.

lol, People in this thread are like: "I like walking up to random strangers and acting like I'm stuffing my genitals in their mouth. Why are people so sensitive about that?"

Just now, Lord_Azrael said:

lol, People in this thread are like: "I like walking up to random strangers and acting like I'm stuffing my genitals in their mouth. Why are people so sensitive about that?"

I was drinking water when I read this.  Now I have to clean it off my monitor.

14 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

No, the problem is teabagging and people expressing their dislike for it, and now it's also you trying to tell us that we should just "get over it" because you think it's funny.

Not really.  You basically told me how I should feel, because it's how you feel. 

That is telling people how to feel, and yes it is simple, but it's not the correct answer.  You're in the right ballpark - it is perception.  You perceive this as a none issue because you don't see why people are bothered and players like tncc perceive this as an issue because they find it contemptible and rude.  The issue is that you keep pushing your idea of the "right" way to handle the overall situation.

Teabagging cannot be a problem because it doesn't affect you in the slightest unless you have little or no control over your own emotions and thought processes.

No, I didn't tell you how to feel. And I didn't tell you to feel how I feel. I get enjoyment and a sense of hilarity out of either teabagging or being teabagged. I find it funny. I wasn't saying people should find it funny / get enjoyment from / a sense of hilarity out of it. I was saying a better way to react for their own sake and for the sake of the other players would be to just shrug it off / ignore it because it doesn't matter, because it doesn't actually affect anyone.

You can tell me all you want, that I was telling people how to feel. No matter how many times you repeat that, it'll never become anymore valid as it's completely incorrect.

The logic in your arguement is flawed to say the least.

What you're telling me is that teabagging is a problem simply because you perceive it to be a problem.

But you're also basically telling me that me perceiving it as a non-issue is wrong, that just because I perceive it to be a non-issue doesn't make it so.

But if that was the case then that would mean that just because you perceive it to be an issue, that doesn't make it so.

So by your own logic, we're both wrong because we're basing our arguements on perception.

But the thing is, I'm not. Yes, perception might have a lot of involvement in my arguement, but it's grounded in a simple fact.

The fact that teabagging does not and cannot affect you in any way shape or form, unless you allow it to.

Your perception is grounded in more perception, your arguement is substanceless, it's just raw opinion.

"Teabagging is a problem because I think it's a problem."

Why do you think it's a problem?

"Because it's a problem."

That sums you up mate.

Edited by Master-Nachash

Teabagging cannot be a problem because it doesn't affect you in the slightest unless you have little or no control over your own emotions and thought processes.

No, I didn't tell you how to feel. And I didn't tell you to feel how I feel. I get enjoyment and a sense of hilarity out of either teabagging or being teabagged. I find it funny. I wasn't saying people should find it funny / get enjoyment from / a sense of hilarity out of it. I was saying a better way to react for their own sake and for the sake of the other players would be to just shrug it off / ignore it because it doesn't matter, because it doesn't actually affect anyone.

You can tell me all you want, that I was telling people how to feel. No matter how many times you repeat that, it'll never become anymore valid as it's completely incorrect.

The logic in your arguement is flawed to say the least.

What you're telling me is that teabagging is a problem simply because you perceive it to be a problem.

But you're also basically telling me that me perceiving it as a non-issue is wrong, that just because I perceive it to be a non-issue doesn't make it so.

But if that was the case then that would mean that just because you perceive it to be an issue, that doesn't make it so.

So by your own logic, we're both wrong because we're basing our arguements on perception.

But the thing is, I'm not. Yes, perception might have a lot of involvement in my arguement, but it's grounded in a simple fact.

The fact that teabagging does not and cannot affect you in any way shape or form, unless you allow it to.

Your perception is grounded in more perception, your arguement is substanceless, it's just raw opinion.

"Teabagging is a problem because I think it's a problem."

Why do you think it's a problem?

"Because it's a problem."

That sums you up mate.

Cute.

Nice try though.

Just now, Lord_Azrael said:

Yeah, I really can't comprehend the logic. Sexual assault is "funny" hahaha "why u no laugh?" Tea-bagging has always been a problem in pvp, but a lot of people have generally developed thicker skin and consigned themselves to ignoring idiots who think they are being edgy or on a power play.

The new problem is now apparently that people are offended by what it represents *sigh*. Go home internet, you're drunk.

12 minutes ago, Master-Nachash said:

But people who teabag aren't necessarily being disrespectful buttholes. Some just do it because they find it funny and they're hoping that like them, the other guy will see the funny side of it and that maybe, just maybe, they'll have a nice little match-long interaction between them where they exchange teabagging sessions whenever they're downed, or just do it for no reason, doin the teabag dance whenever they come across each other in the match.

That's like punching someone and saying it was a present. Stop either being cynical, or lying to yourself.

You don't engage in actions that have a high chance of being unwelcomed. People don't have to deal with your stuff.

15 minutes ago, Master-Nachash said:

That is saying that you have the right to force people the things you see fit to enforce on them.

Again, punching someone and complaining about them not liking it.

That's not how a respectful world, were people have the right to do whatever they want with their lives works. You don't engage on actions with people who don't want you to. That's personal space invasion at best, and abuse ar worse.

Saying the problem is perception is like saying the problem with slavery is the fact that people have a consciousness.

Or, even better, that if someone doesn't have your opinion, their problem cause you are gonna throw bullsh!t at them anyway.

20 minutes ago, Master-Nachash said:

As for the whole "this is just a game, that means I don't have to deal with stuff I don't like" - unfortunately, whenever you're involved with other people, you will and do have to deal with things you don't like, regardless of where you are or what you're doing.

Oh, you misunderstood me. I dont care about what people do with their life (unless it includes hurting unwilling people, of course), they can do whatever they want. But in the moment someone does something to me that I don't want them to, than we are gonna have problems.

This is not about tolerance, I am a very tolerant person. This is about accepting sh!t thrown at me. Because I'm free, and I don't want it. So throw it to someone who does.

3 minutes ago, Lord_Azrael said:

Do you not find it kinda ironic and also worrying that in a third person shooter in which gameplay is based almost entirely on killing as many things as possible in as little time as possible, a game where some of the ways in which you kill these things are:

• Burning them alive.
  • Freezing them to death.
  • Melting them.
  • Cooking them from the inside out (Nukor).
  • Impaling them against walls (Boltor, RJ).
  • Slicing their bodies into multiple pieces with lots of blood and gore.

That people find "teabagging" to be something deplorable????

Like, y'know, pretending to kill things in some of the most sadistic ways imaginable is absolutely ok!

But teabagging, nahhhhh, absolutely out of the question, it's just something you do not do!