Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do I mod properly?

pandaloneee

Question

So I've playing for about 3 months and I'm a (newly) rank 6. I have pretty good weapons & frames and I've modded them but I don't really understand what I'm doing. I've fused most of the essential ones but I still can't get past a level 20 mission or higher. I know there isn't a 'best' build for each weapons but pls help me 

16 answers to this question

each character and a weapon has a different build.

but since you are MR6, vitality, steel fiber and redirection are essential to you

You may also need to increase your power and efficiency.

But at the end, it all depends on the frame you play

Loki need duration, ember needs efficiency, and so on

Maybe if you tell us the frame and weapons you play with most then we can help better.

Try to post a screenshot for your built also

You have to at least tell us what frame/weapons are you trying to mod. Mods, especially on frames are extremely diverse and you usually want to use completely different mods for each frame to achieve best results. But most of the time you can't go wrong with Vitality and Redirection.

As for weapons, there's a general patter of using increased damage + incresed crit chance + increased crit damage + attack speed (multi shot) + elemental mods. You usually can't go wrong with those, but then again, it hugely depends on the weapon AND frame you use.

Also try to get the mods you are using to rank 8, don't go any further before amassing large sums of credits and endo and knowing what you are actually doing.

The first thing you need to consider is enemie's resistances and weaknesses

Then you need to consider what stats are good on your gear and mod with respect of them (i.e. if your weapon has high crit rate/damage, it should be obvious you need to mod toward crits). Elemental damage mods work off the total moded physical (or elemental, if the weapon has elemental damage as it's primary), but mods that improve impact/puncture/slash separately do not add to the elemental mods. Status weapons with low crit rate (5-10%) and good status chance (15%++)have no use of crit mods, so it's better to go full elemental and improve upon status chance. If the weapon has long reach (like orthos/prime), it's prudent to put Reach / Primed Reach on it, and so on.

Edit:

Also, keep in mind that pure toxin bypasses shields, so it's perfect to deal with corpus, even when they have improved shields on sortie.

Edited by Bouldershoulder

Don't listen to them. :P

For your warframe the mods that are generally good when you start are vitality, redirection, streamline, continuity, intensify, stretch.

For your primary get Serration mod and then elemental mods

For your secondary get Hornet Strike and then elemental mods

For your melee get Pressure point and then elemental mods.

Note that there are 2 elemental mods: +90% elemental damage at max rank such Fever Strike and +60% elemental damage/ +60% Status chance at max rank such as Virulent scourge. There are 4 element types.

These are universally good, and I'm assuming you are not overflowing with potatoes(orokin catalysts and orokin reactors) Start upgrading your warframe mods, melee mods and primary mods. Skip the secondary weapon mods until you are comfortable doing most missions. 

I should say the best option is to just play the game. Yeah I know its a lazy advice but everything I learned in warframe came from experience (with a little credit to some clan mates). I became serious in warframe/weapon modding when I was MR12 but before that my knowledge is only based on "putting every mod I like in my warframe". For starters, putting intensify, flow, streamline, and continuity will be the basic build with redirection or vitality. But I learned that some warframes don't need power str or duration to maximize them. So my other tip is to read their skills on wiki. This helped me understand the pros and cons of every warframe I have. The last advice on modding warframes is to max all skill affecting mods even the corrupted ones (except for fleeting expertise trust me a rank 4 fleeting is the most useful one). There are also time that vitality or redirection cannot fit into my build since I dont have enough slots due to the skill maximizing mods I put into a warframe.

For weapons, in my opinion there are three build I use which I will discuss further. The first one is pure Elemental based, the second one is Crit based and the hybrid build. These builds almost always have these three damage mods. Serration, Heavy calibre (optional for bows & snipers), and split chamber.
Pure Elemental based means that these weapons primarily uses elemental mods to maximize their damage. Most weapons can be under elemental based. Some of them have high status chance or weapons w/ low crit chance. Do note that there are certain elemental combos you can do for each enemy race to maximize your weapons effectiveness against them.

The second build, as the name suggest, depends on the critical enhancing mods you place. More crit = more damage. If I see weapons with crit chance greater than 20%, I usually try to put an all crit mod build and test them out. If I'm pleased I stick with it. If not I go with the 3rd and final build. Bows are the best examples here. Essential mods for crits are vital sense and point strike for rifles/bows/snipers/grenade launchers. Shotguns has ravage and blunderbuss.

Hybrid build is a combination of critical mods and elemental. Sometimes when the crit chance is not enough for a weapon, I usually mix the elemental mods together with the crit mods. I use this build for some of my high crit weapons since enemy's armor (in late game) greatly reduce the effectiveness of crit damage. My dread, for example, has both the vital sense and point strike mod but I also but corrosive damage (eletricity + toxin).

So that's pretty much covered the basics. Sorry if its long though. I can't explain these setups with just a few sentences. But if you have any questions, I'll gladly answer them. peace

• Like 1

Why cant you get past level 20 missions? You die, cant kill enemies or both?

Weapons need the damage mods, multihot mods, crit mods if they are crit based and then elementals to match your enemies. Frames will depend on paystyle and which frame your are using. 

There is no universal build you can use. Send us the frames and weapons you like t use and then we will be able to help you better.

3 hours ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

Acid shells adds 45%(!) Of a killed enemys health to a radial attack...that's the best frickin weapon damage you'll get in the game.

I know, but with heavy armored targets, the problem is to get the first kill. I was wondering if there was any trick you know.

59 minutes ago, (PS4)lhbuch said:

I know, but with heavy armored targets, the problem is to get the first kill. I was wondering if there was any trick you know.

Kill something that isn't heavily armored first. The survivabilty comes from the armor alone, the health doesn't scale much less on not as heavily armored units tho... the result is broken radial damage which also Hits armor hard.

You could also use Corrosive Projection, somewhat of a mandatory fighting Ranges where armor matters anyways^^

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

• warframes:
    • I always build defense first. For most warframes I strap on both Redirection and Vitality. There are some exceptions. For tanks with large amounts of armor I also strap on Steel Fiber. On Valkyr and Inaros, do not put Redirection on as it is a waste of a mod slot.
    • Always strap on Streamline.
    • Figure out what stats your warframe relies on. This means testing abilities with different ability stat mods, looking at the abilities' tab in the arsenal, and consulting the wiki. For example: The usefulness of Zephyr's main abilities are more impacted by duration than strength and range. Thus most Zephyr builds revolve around increasing duration. some frames are not so straightforward so you have to either balance things or build on the aspect you like. For example, I main Volt/Volt Prime. Volt can be built for strength or duration. I build for duration as it buffs his Electric Shield and Speed's utility, which I love.
      • my suggestion, don't bother with corrupted mods and min/maxing stats yet, just get the feel for what you like in frames, and bookmark the wiki.
  • weapons:
    • guns:
      • Figure out what kind of gun it is. There are 3-4 categories of guns imo: crit, status, raw damage (neither crit or status, but high damage), and unique (some guns have weird quirks to them). As a rule of thumb, build a gun to maximize its largest chance (critical chance or status chance), unless both are small (<15%) and the gun isn't a bullet hose.
      • If you are building a bullet hose, then you usually want build on fire rate.
      • Sometimes guns need bandage modding. Bullet hoses usually need an ammo mutation mod. Guns with long reload times will need reload speed + mods and/or magazine size + mods depending on its stats, Slow-firing guns will usually need fire rate + mods to counter the slow fire rate, or damage/crit mods to maximize DPS. sometimes guns will need stability mods. The key is to bandage mod until the gun is usable for you. Don't lust after the builds of those who max DPS/burst damage everything, do it your way.
        • Sometimes guns will need multiple bandages (see Tigris series)
        • When it comes to guns with reloading issues (reloading too often, takes too long to reload) you should care about the fraction: magazine size/reloading time.
      • Build status weapons for corrosive damage of the time (or 99.9% of time if you are lazy like me) because armor is much more annoying them shields later on.
      • Always put Serration-type mods and multishot mods on (there are two for secondaries, use both). It doesn't matter the gun, you always do this, they are mandatory mods.
      • After bandaging your gun, just do things to maximize its overall damage output, don't waste time on adding increased weapon zoom and such.
      • always consult the wiki
    • melees:
      • Always build Pressure Point and Fury.
      • Always put a stance mod on.
      • Always put Life Strike on if you have it (it doesn't have to be max rank)
      • Similar to guns figure out it they are crit, status, raw damage, or utility. Then maximize their good points.
      • build status weapons for corrosive.
      • Figure out what melees you like. I personally like hammers, gunswords, and thrown melees (especially the Kestrel).
      • Don't put range mods on close range weapons like daggers, dual daggers, fist types, fist and foot types because the buff to them is negligible.
      • always consult the wiki

2 hours ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

Kill something that isn't heavily armored first. The survivabilty comes from the armor alone, the health doesn't scale much less on not as heavily armored units tho... the result is broken radial damage which also Hits armor hard.

You could also use Corrosive Projection, somewhat of a mandatory fighting Ranges where armor matters anyways^^

tks!