Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why have DE stopped numbering the updates?

JohnViande

Okay, it might seem a bit trivial to most people and I totally understand that, but one thing has been bothering me for a while: Since the Lunaro update, DE have completely stopped putting numbers on their updates and I find it a bit confusing. Before, when I came to the forums and looked at the latest Warframe builds I could see for instance: "Update 19.8: blablabla". Now I'm not playing as much as I used to and it feels weird when I try to keep up with what's been happening in the game. IIRC the last numbered updates were 19 something.

I feel like games that are constantly evolving like Warframe need that numbered update thing just so that returning and new players alike know where the game's at.

Do we know why this happened? And if by any chance someone from DE comes across this thread, can we go back to that please?

Thanks for reading, this was brought to you by Useless Threads Inc.

Just now, JohnViande said:

Okay, it might seem a bit trivial to most people and I totally understand that, but one thing has been bothering me for a while: Since the Lunaro update, DE have completely stopped putting numbers on their updates and I find it a bit confusing. Before, when I came to the forums and looked at the latest Warframe builds I could see for instance: "Update 19.8: blablabla". Now I'm not playing as much as I used to and it feels weird when I try to keep up with what's been happening in the game. IIRC the last numbered updates were 19 something.

I feel like games that are constantly evolving like Warframe need that numbered update thing just so that returning and new players alike know where the game's at.

Do we know why this happened? And if by any chance someone from DE comes across this thread, can we go back to that please?

the update was split into 3 parts... that's why you don't see the numbered update anymore... and if you wanted it that way only... it would've taken at least up to somewhere in october or november... maybe even next year since the content is worth 20 gb+ and needs a lot of polishing

Probably just because it looks bad to have Update 18.132.64. If they change the name, it'll confuse people from realizing that it's been 9 months since the last major update.

I'm sure once Update 19 officially drops, it'll go back to the old style.

Looks up TSG:U1.1

joke aside

The main reason for it i belive was the spliting of all 4 parts of this update, when the last part gets here (the war within) it propably will go back to what it was before, but we will have to wait and see. They may even keep this change since it's kind of started to get confusing already.

20 minutes ago, JohnViande said:

Letters incoming.

it's just easier for them to call it that, so that they know which part of U19 is which. it's in 4 parts: Lunaro, Specters of The Rail, The Silver Grove and The War Within. after War Within it will hopefully go back to numbers, I doubt DE will make another update this big again, not for a while. U20 will likely end up being pretty small in comparison, likely just one quest if we're lucky.

26 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

I'm sure once Update 19 officially drops, it'll go back to the old style.

You mean U20, because this is Update 19. We're around U19.6 or 7 right now. They changed to a name system to keep the update set to a theme; The Lunaro Update, Specters of the Rail, Silver Grove, and next War Within.

Edited by NeithanDiniem

16 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

No, I mean U19. Once War Within is released, will U19 be officially released in it's entirety.

War within isn't the start of U19, its the end of it. There will likely be a few hotfixes and additions afterwards but War Within is likely going to be the last major addition for U19. It won't switch over to "U19.0" once war within hits. After this is on to U20.

Edited by NeithanDiniem

Just now, NeithanDiniem said:

War within isn't the start of U19, its the end of it. There will likely be a few hotfixes and additions afterwards but War Within is likely going to be the last major addition for U19. It won't switch over to "U19.0" once war within hits.

Well, I think you're wrong, and we'll still see a U19.0. I guess it's useless to say anything more until it lands. Believe whatever you want.

7 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

Well, I think you're wrong, and we'll still see a U19.0. I guess it's useless to say anything more until it lands. Believe whatever you want.

And yet the devs specifically mentioned getting to the first update of U20 before the end of this year, with the cinematic quest coming likely early next. They couldn't possibly fit all of an update line within the span of 2 months. Just look back at how long it took DE to top off U18, or U17, and get a general timeline for how long their recent version numbers have stuck around and you'd see that U19 is comparing to them pretty much spot on.

In all honesty, I like it better.

Instead of saying U # It kinda sounds better when you say The War Within update or Specters of the Rail update, Silver grove. It feels more professional I guess, But they could easily make it both.

U19 : The War within, its that simple really, but I think it was because U19 was split that they made it this way.

HMmmmm why do I feel like there was a thread like a week ago that had a similar title and was basically the same Topic. Hmmmm

DE were gonna deliver lunaro , SoTR , TSG ,TTW in one update ; U19 but couldn't  so they split the updates so they can work faster and better ( cough*cough ) so everything we got and The War Within is still U19 , and once we get it , we will probably go back to numerical Updates , we currently have names cuz there isnt a number to put , U19 isnt complete yet , after we have TTW we will have  U19.1 , 19.2 etc back like normal . ( probably )