The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

On the Topic of Banshee

ZectorV1

Whoa whoa whoa whoa ok. I've been seeing a lot of Banshee complaints going around lately about Silence. Some people even want it removed. Guys silence is an amazing ability. If anything is lacking in her kit it's soundquake(doesn't do anything outside very VERY specific situations and can get you killed easily since being squishy and stationary is bad). In my personal opinion, all I want to happen to silence is for it to be recastable. The issue with it is that you can't get a lot of use out of the stuns, but if you could recast it you would be able to get to the high value targets more consistently, or restun a bombard who's been in silence's range a bit too long to stay stunned. Her four could use a bit of a rework though. I don't see anything it does that Vauban or nyx do far far better in their 4s, and banshee is pretty much a free kill during it. The immobile 4 coupled with the fact that banshee is VERY brittle means bad things. A good banshee can survive for sure, but not(in my experience) if you even touch that soundquake button around anything over lv 45. This is an open discussion/telling people that just because they only use resonance, it doesn't mean trash silence. Personally I find that the more useful of the two at all levels of play(assuming savage silence of course), albiet both are very VERY good. Since Banshee prime is right around the corner, I wanna hear everyone's opinion. Should banshee get a serious rework? Just some tweeks? A more synergistic 4 that keeps enemies from making you Swiss cheese? Make silence recastable(YES)? Let me hear from my fellow banshee lovers. 

I feel like Silence is largely useless. Stealth gameplay is completely dominated by invisibility. The enemy AI is terrible enough that it does make stealthy banshee viable, but it is still subpar in every way to a true stealth frame. Side benefit of silencing weapons.... really? That's awful as well. 

In a group mob oriented shooter like Warframe, a skill like silence falls by the wayside to superior skills like invisibility. I would suggest removing silence and replacing it with something that offers her some form of TANGIBLE defense. Her fragility is her largest problem and while I agree that being able to re-cast silence would be NICE, I think that overall the ability is a wasted slot. 

P.S. I understand the augment for Silence exists... but anyone properly building Banshee is going to have 1-2 mod slots filled with Vitality / Redirection along with the basics (flow, continuity, etc). Modding her properly is difficult as is, let alone trying to shoe-horn a VERY situational and unnecessary augment in there as well. 

Edited by Silence00

9 minutes ago, Silence00 said:

I feel like Silence is largely useless. Stealth gameplay is completely dominated by invisibility. The enemy AI is terrible enough that it does make stealthy banshee viable, but it is still subpar in every way to a true stealth frame. Side benefit of silencing weapons.... really? That's awful as well. 

In a group mob oriented shooter like Warframe, a skill like silence falls by the wayside to superior skills like invisibility. I would suggest removing silence and replacing it with something that offers her some form of TANGIBLE defense. Her fragility is her largest problem and while I agree that being able to re-cast silence would be NICE, I think that overall the ability is a wasted slot. 

That's exactly the thing I was trying to address. And I agree with you that it does not at all serve stealth gameplay, and by itself it's rather lackluster. I use silence as more of a "finisher on demand"(which, with the savage multiplier, is absolutely insane damage wise). I actually wasn't aware of this myself until (relative to how long I've played her anyway) recently, but savage silence works with finisher abilities like bladestorm which can also hit the resonance and proc the recast. That's nuts.  Currently I like it being a target to target /extremely/ high power finisher ability, coupled with the fact that it's her only panic button(hence recasting) at the moment which she desperately needs. But yeah it's trash at stealth. That's my opinion though, and my mind could be changed if a good enough alternative was introduced or suggested.

Edited by Zectorcop

Banshee is good as is imho. Silence could use a little looking at, but even as is, it is a decent rolling CC for the entire squad as you move through lvl 100 enemies. I often pop off a silence when moving to extraction since the entire squad gets the benefit of some CC. The duration of the stun, or an accuracy debuff from the stun would be welcomed. 

If you want to play her like another frames however... play other frames. Her frailty is part of her playstyle. And this is apparent with her Ult. She's not a room clearer by any means, but if you know how to play her, even her SQ is effective - Even with her squishiness. You can't just hit '4' and watch everything vanish. You need to be aware of how, and when, you cast the ability. This goes double for being aware of the fact she is stationary... on a side note, i honestly don't get why being stationary is seen a bad thing. You know she's going to be stationary... it doesn't creep up on you randomly. Plan for the fact she's going to be stationary :/

1 minute ago, MillbrookWest said:

Banshee is good as is imho. Silence could use a little looking at, but even as is, it is a decent rolling CC for the entire squad as you move through lvl 100 enemies. I often pop off a silence when moving to extraction since the entire squad gets the benefit of some CC. The duration of the stun, or an accuracy debuff from the stun would be welcomed. 

If you want to play her like another frames however... play other frames. Her frailty is part of her playstyle. And this is apparent with her Ult. She's not a room clearer by any means, but if you know how to play her, even her SQ is effective - Even with her squishiness. You can't just hit '4' and watch everything vanish. You need to be aware of how, and when, you cast the ability. This goes double for being aware of the fact she is stationary... on a side note, i honestly don't get why being stationary is seen a bad thing. You know she's going to be stationary... it doesn't creep up on you randomly. Plan for the fact she's going to be stationary :/

Admittedly i'm taking a lot of my opinions from when endless missions were relevant. From that perspective soundquake would always spell your immediate demise, pretty much 100% of the time. In the light of the way things are now, you're probably right. Maybe I just have to let it go. I only say recast silence because other finisher proc abilities are recastable and it's kinda dumb that building for max range is bad because you can't actually GET to the people at the end of your range.

1 minute ago, Zectorcop said:

That's exactly the thing I was trying to address. And I agree with you that it does not as all serve stealth gameplay, and by itself it's rather lackluster. I use silence with it and use it as more of a "finisher on demand"(which, with the savage multiplier, is absolutely insane damage wise). I actually wasn't aware of this myself until (relative to how long I've played her anyway) recently, but savage silence works with finisher abilities like bladestorm which can also hit the resonance and proc the recast. That's nuts.  Currently I like it being a target to target /extremely/ high power finisher ability, coupled with the fact that it's her only panic button(hence recasting) at the moment which she desperately needs. But yeah it's trash at stealth. That's my opinion though, and my mind could be changed if a good enough alternative was introduced or suggested.

The thing that is really wrong with Banshee is her stats. She needs to be carried like Trinity and it's not even worth it to carry her. This is why Banshee is not considered a viable frame. Her abilities are a little lackluster but overall she is a little better than other frames with only one strong ability (looking at you Mirage). 

3 minutes ago, (PS4)godlysparta said:

The thing that is really wrong with Banshee is her stats. She needs to be carried like Trinity and it's not even worth it to carry her. This is why Banshee is not considered a viable frame. Her abilities are a little lackluster but overall she is a little better than other frames with only one strong ability (looking at you Mirage). 

I'm actually super ADHD and I get a rush from having to manage all my stuff at once. I have to play my banshee at 200% speed to live and dish out damage im satisfied with. I can see the carry point though for sure if you're not in the mood to go fast.             "Not viable" muh feels. 

Edited by Zectorcop

33 minutes ago, Silence00 said:

P.S. I understand the augment for Silence exists... but anyone properly building Banshee is going to have 1-2 mod slots filled with Vitality / Redirection along with the basics (flow, continuity, etc). Modding her properly is difficult as is, let alone trying to shoe-horn a VERY situational and unnecessary augment in there as well. 

The general use of Silence is not that it silences, but the stun. Banshee, IMO, is one of if not the best designed Warframes in the game. She has some of the best synergy not between her abilities themselves, but between her abilities and gameplay, ranged gun-play. Everything in her kit encourages and rewards keeping your enemies at a mid-range distance and (very) quickly killing them before they can kill you.

Silence is the key to this, it stuns all enemies at a pretty perfect "mid-range" for you to go at them with whatever gun you are using. It also makes headshots or hitting Sonar spots quite easy as you don't have to worry about the AI's unpredictable movement. And being a mid-range stun, it halts all enemies at the range where they would normally start shooting you... except that they can't because you stunned then killed them.

Silence is most certainly a tangible defense and I regularly come out of a mission with least damage taken as her, you just have to keep moving and keep shooting. And on that note, she is one of the only frames that really necessitates the fast paced movement of Warframe, people complain about DE encouraging camping but then only accept blatant DR abilities as a viable "defense."

And as to modding, Banshee also excels in modding diversity.

• You have the basic balanced build, allowing all of her abilities to be of somewhat use
  • You have insane power strength builds to one-shot everything
  • You have min-duration silence builds for mass CC
  • You have max range builds for Sound Quake and Sonic Boom
  • You have variations of the above that have enough power strength for armor removal (Sonic Boom augment) or for that questionable Banshee meta currently.
  • And my personal favorite, a negative range Savage Silence build (best defense is a good offense).

All of her augments are useful, but not necessary to use. Each of her abilities encourage keeping enemies at a distance and she encourages you to kill first and ask questions later. This is how Warframes should be designed, not by theme or by ability to ability synergy, but for gameplay synergy.

/rant

Edited by DrBorris
typo

3 minutes ago, DrBorris said:

The general use of Silence is not that it silences, but the stun. Banshee, IMO, is one of if not the best designed Warframes in the game. She has some of the best synergy not between her abilities themselves, but between her abilities and gameplay, ranged gun-play. Everything in her kit encourages and rewards keeping your enemies at a mid-range distance and (very) quickly killing them before they can kill you.

Silence is the key to this, it stuns all enemies at a pretty perfect "mid-range" for you to go at them with whatever gun you are using. It also makes headshots or hitting Sonar spots quite easy as you don't have to worry about the AI's unpredictable movement. And being a mid-range stun, it halts all enemies at the range where they would normally start shooting you... except that they can't because you stunned then killed them.

Silence is most certainly a tangible defense and I regularly come out of a mission with least damage taken as her, you just have to keep moving and keep shooting. And on that note, she is one of the only frames that really necessitates the fast paced movement of Warframe, people complain about DE encouraging camping but then only except blatant DR abilities as a viable "defense."

And as to mudding, Banshee also excels in modding diversity.

• You have the basic balanced build, allowing all of her abilities to be of somewhat use
  • You have insane power strength builds to one-shot everything
  • You have min-duration silence builds for mass CC
  • You have max range builds for Sound Quake and Sonic Boom
  • You have variations of the above that have enough power strength for armor removal (Sonic Boom augment) or for that questionable Banshee meta currently.
  • And my personal favorite, a negative range Savage Silence build (best defense is a good offense).

All of her augments are useful, but not necessary to use. Each of her abilities encourage keeping enemies at a distance and she encourages you to kill first and ask questions later. This is how Warframes should be designed, not by theme or by ability to ability synergy, but for gameplay synergy.

/rant.  

Yes. All the yes. ONLY thing I have to say to this is, my argument is that recastable silence does away with having to have min range. That's actually one of my favorite builds as well. Otherwise *tears of joy*

Just now, Zectorcop said:

Admittedly i'm taking a lot of my opinions from when endless missions were relevant. From that perspective soundquake would always spell your immediate demise, pretty much 100% of the time. In the light of the way things are now, you're probably right. Maybe I just have to let it go. I only say recast silence because other finisher proc abilities are recastable and it's kinda dumb that building for max range is bad because you can't actually GET to the people at the end of your range.

The odd thing about banshee is that if you tweak her wrongly, she'll just straight up be OP. And then you'll bring the nerf hammer down on her, which would then break the frame. 

Her frailty balances the fact she makes enemies levels redundant thanks to her obscene damage multiplier from Sonar. Her Sonic boom is arguably more useful than most frames' first abilities, and her SQ (as mentioned above) is effective if you know when to use it.

Silence is the only one that could get a look in as the added passive kinda encroaches a little bit on its purpose. But that doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be changed.

2 minutes ago, DrBorris said:

I regularly come out of a mission with least damage taken as her

Same. 

About the only things that really hurt are direct to health procs. But even those can be mitigated if you keep moving.

1 minute ago, MillbrookWest said:

The odd thing about banshee is that if you tweak her wrongly, she'll just straight up be OP. And then you'll bring the nerf hammer down on her, which would then break the frame. 

Her frailty balances the fact she makes enemies levels redundant thanks to her obscene damage multiplier from Sonar. Her Sonic boom is arguably more useful than most frames' first abilities, and her SQ (as mentioned above) is effective if you know when to use it.

Silence is the only one that could get a look in as the added passive kinda encroaches a little bit on its purpose. But that doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be changed.

Same. 

About the only things that really hurt are direct to health procs. But even those can be mitigated if you keep moving.

I don't want survivability from sq really. I just want synergy with the, as you mentioned, playstye that requires so much movement and awareness to pull off. Her multipliers do make her incredibly strong. She's HUGELY underrated in terms of damage and survival, something I frequently prove to my random squads myself. Keep in mind that part of the reason I made this thread was because I saw a lot of "silence is useless remove it " threads and my reaction is nnnnOOOOOOOOOO

13 minutes ago, Zectorcop said:

I'm actually super ADHD and I get a rush from having to manage all my stuff at once. I have to play my banshee at 200% speed to live and dish out damage im satisfied with. I can see the carry point though for sure if you're not in the mood to go fast.             "Not viable" muh feels. 

I mean for late game content like sorties. In sorties, she'll get one shotted and run out of revives if you don't carry her. Unlike other frames, she literally has no defensive abilities. Ash has his invisibility, Nova has her slow, Trinity has heals. What does Banshee have? A push and silence that barely prevents enemies from one shotting you.

The truth is silence broken for a long time. It is simply to proof. There is no patchnote about nerf, DE try to kill all negative builds. And this low range low duration mean work bad.

Yes, you can use it, but intsead of 3 other skills. "Does it worth it?" this is a real question. I mean why Banshee for this job? For a cute skin?

Just now, (PS4)godlysparta said:

I mean for late game content like sorties. In sorties, she'll get one shotted and run out of revives if you don't carry her. Unlike other frames, she literally has no defensive abilities. Ash has his invisibility, Nova has her slow, Trinity has heals. What does Banshee have? A push and silence that barely prevents enemies from one shotting you.

What you do with banshee to survive is kill before you are killed. Have silence up and blister through the battlefield at Mach 12 killing anything before it can get you in their sights. You have the multipliers and damage output to do so. It's very counter intuitive. I'm brittle so how do I survive? RUSH THEM HEAD ON

Banshee is one of the best warframes.Why ?Because she has 4 abilities that you can actually use,that are not useless.Even her no.1 is ok and even better with augment.Augment mods for her are all good.

What's wrong with silence?With not so big range you can run thru hordes of enemies with no problem when you want to get somewhere quick.Best way for you and your team to get across the map and get to objective point without bothering to fight enemies and it also gives you extra time in some situations.Silence is also great for use with sonar.

She is one of the best choices for some crazy,high lvl missions.

Banshee is a killer and cc warframe and one of the rare warframes that you can use like that ,so that's why I put her on the top with the best and most useful.

12 minutes ago, (PS4)godlysparta said:

3 minutes ago, RistN said:

Banshee is one of the best warframes.Why ?Because she has 4 abilities that you can actually use,that are not useless.Even her no.1 is ok and even better with augment.Augment mods for her are all good.

What's wrong with silence?With not so big range you can run thru hordes of enemies with no problem when you want to get somewhere quick.Best way for you and your team to get across the map and get to objective point without bothering to fight enemies and it also gives you extra time in some situations.Silence is also great for use with sonar.

She is one of the best choices for some crazy,high lvl missions.

Banshee is a killer and cc warframe and one of the rare warframes that you can use like that ,so that's why I put her on the top with the best and most useful.

Silence is fantastic. I only say recastable so you can get full use out of your other abilities as well

Edited by Zectorcop

For the past year or so I've been pushing for Banshee's Silence to be recastable. After reading through this thread, I'm not sure I'd enjoy playing Banshee as much if it was recastable. Silence does need something added on though instead of the "deafness" in an AoE, as her passive makes that have very little use and extremely situational. Perhaps enemies within range have an accuracy debuff or you gain enhanced mobility/evasion stats? Just something small to increase her survivability a bit.

Slightly off topic, but Soundquake. This ability goes against everything Banshee stands for. Banshee is a glass cannon Warframe that relies on mobility and out-DPSing enemies to survive. Soundquake is an ability that roots you in place and deals mediocre damage compared to what you can do with a good weapon and a few Sonar stacks. A new ability that doesn't root her (and remove all interactivity with the game in the process) would work miracles for her. 

6 minutes ago, Zachatoo said:

For the past year or so I've been pushing for Banshee's Silence to be recastable. After reading through this thread, I'm not sure I'd enjoy playing Banshee as much if it was recastable. Silence does need something added on though instead of the "deafness" in an AoE, as her passive makes that have very little use and extremely situational. Perhaps enemies within range have an accuracy debuff or you gain enhanced mobility/evasion stats? Just something small to increase her survivability a bit.

Slightly off topic, but Soundquake. This ability goes against everything Banshee stands for. Banshee is a glass cannon Warframe that relies on mobility and out-DPSing enemies to survive. Soundquake is an ability that roots you in place and deals mediocre damage compared to what you can do with a good weapon and a few Sonar stacks. A new ability that doesn't root her (and remove all interactivity with the game in the process) would work miracles for her. 

I've never considered adding debuffs besides the stun. If it lets my panic button work for longer than 2 or 3 seconds, i'll support it. Recasting is just the simplest solution to me(and i'm addicted to that 300% finisher damage). There may indeed be better ways, I just find it unlikely that any of them will be done since its more complicated to do so. Feel free to make ideas though. Some people like the soundquake, but I agree totally that it goes against her playstyle completely. It's probably the reason people say she has no survivability. Fighting ANYTHING high level, using soundquake at any point is an invitation to anything outside the range to promptly turn you into Swiss cheese. 

Edited by Zectorcop

Huh... The only things i've seen/heard people complained about are Silence's stun duration not being affected by Duration mods, can't be re-casted and her Ulti not being a toggleable aura power that would allow her to move/not ragdolling nearby enemies away . Well, this and her Resonating Quake augment which is a straight up buff we've been asked to avoid. And that's all, i think. There are the other frames in bad situation right now (Limbo, Broberon, Zephyr with most of her powers but Turbulence, Ash) and certain powers.

Banshee?

Well, to me, she's one of the most balanced frames (and very underrated) in the game: she's good at CC, she's good at teamplay and providing damage-buff. Heck, she's even good at melee with right mods. Banshee has pretty good base Shield-Energy-HP values (not OP and not too squishy). She can inflict high damage and yet she can defend herself.

My casual mods presets:

Bloody Savage (purely melee)

When playing with friends

And she is doing it great. You just need to know her limits like don't try to tank or dodge attacks in CQC.

Back to her Silence. From my experience (playing & loving her since U7, though this detail has nothing with topic), It really depends on how you want to use it in the first place:

High-range -- will be good for sniping and stealth, also comes in handy with Sonar: stun it => shoot it.

Medium-range -- good at CC-ing melee units for you and allies while you're busy with gunners, also, depending on your reaction, mod-setup and melee, it's good at melee's hit & run. Same goes for Savage augment.

Low-range -- perfect for melee players with Savage Silence (though, even the basic power grants melee damage multiplier), using melee with fast finishers will allow you to finish 2-4 units within stun duration period, then just jump away to the next victim.

And that was before Secura Lecta which has 50% faster finisher speed. Using Savage Silence, Naramon or Invisibilty Arcane simply makes Silence OPinvulnerability during finishers, yay and if you thought this is enough, then, in case of crit- /status-based and Covert Lethality-modded melee, Silence is just an overkill.

Edited by Thundervision
gonna fix typos; holy moly, so many replies in thread...

20 minutes ago, Thundervision said:

Huh... The only things i've seen/heard peopel complained about are Silence's stun duration not being affected by Duration mods, can't be re-casted and her Ulti not being a toggleable aura power that would allow her to move/not ragdolling nearby enemies away . Well, this and her Resonating Quake augemnt which is a straight up buff we've been asked to avoid. And that's all, i think. There are the other frames in bad situation right now (Limbo, Broberon, Zephyr with her most of her powers but Turbulence, Ash) and certain powers.

Banshee?

Well, to me, she's one of the most balanced frames (and very underrated) in the game: she's good at CC, she's good at teamplay and providing damage-buff. Heck, she's even good at melee with right mods. Banshee has pretty good base Shield-Energy-HP values (not OP and not too squishy). She can inflict a high damage and yet she can defend herself.

My casual mods presets:

Bloody Savage (purely melee)

When playing with friends

And she is doing it great. You just need to know her limits like don't try to tank or dodge attacks in CQC.

Back to her Silence. From my experience (playing & loving her since U7, though this detail has nothing with topic), It's really depends on how you want to use it in the first place:

High-range -- will be good for sniping and stealth, also comes in handy with Sonar: stun it => shoot it.

Medium-range -- good at CC-ing melee units for you and allies while you're busy with gunners, also, depending on your reaction, mod-setup and melee, it's good at melee's hit & run. Same goes for Savage augment.

Low-range -- perfect for melee players with Savage Silence (though, even the basic power grants melee damage multiplier), using melee with fast finishers will allow you to finish 2-4 units within stun duration period, then just jump away to the next victim.

And that was before Secura Lecta which has 50% faster finisher speed. Using Savage Silence, Naramon or Invisibilty Arcane simply makes Silence OPinvulnerability during finishers, yay and if you thought this is enough, then, in case of crit- /status-based and Covert Lethality-modded melee, Silence is just an overkill.

Banshee is not bad I've never said she's bad. 3 or 4 people sure, maybe even more with Vulcan Blitz. But after that then what? High level, there's no way you're really safe after that. She's my favorite frame though, and I'll deal with it if it isn't changed. But this is along the lines of the Ember rework to WOF, or the Vauban Minelayer, or the Nekros changes to his despoil and Shadows. Many of these are just quality of life changes. Does Vauban need more mines? No. His 3 and 4 are arguably all you need. But it's nice to have it. In Banshee's case, she only really needs a SLIGHT tweeks. She's very powerful. But all those crazy damage numbers and super finisher moves only really work coherently in the simulacrum. Imagine if you couldn't stun anyone else with inaros' sand in the eye move until your duration was up. I played her on endless, I play her on sorties. I love banshee. I just want a little better longevity out of silence(though I'll deal with it the way it is). If if was recastable for instance, all the range builds you just mentioned would be one in the same. If you made the stun the entire duration it'd be broken op. But recastable? That takes energy to do, that in itself balances it out. It isn't any different than spamming vortexes, just a very different playstyle. Savage silence is great, but if you want to build that you have to neglect all her other abilities in some degree either range or duration, both of which are solved by being able to press 3 again. It's like the old Chaos. Does it need to be recastable? It's amazing CC, just avoid the respawns. It's recastable now and I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who thinks it's any more op than they would have said before, it's just better, it makes more sense, and it synergizes far better with her kit. Soundquake just doesn't synergize very well with her playstyle, but that's rather irrelevant. Do other frames need more reworks? Sure. Banshee is in a very good place, if very underrated. But this doesn't mean we should ignore banshee especially with a prime so close. If you think others need it more, make threads on that. I agree others do need it far more. I'm just here to talk about banshee.

P.S. wow that was a lot of stuff I had to sift through man. Honestly appreciate how well thought out that was. 

EDIT: IF you wanna talk covert lethality invisible proc op stuff, that's a mod and focus issue. That can be run on many many warframes, banshee is in no way the commom denominator there 

Edited by Zectorcop