Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe from beginning to end (founders opinion needed)

ImmortalGryphon

This is a question to founders since they are the obvious people who were around when warframe first came out but before i go on to the question i need to state that while I may be MR22 and have clocked more than 2000 hours on the game, the reality is that I only started the game around U17 so I missed out on most of the games developement so ive been curious as to what major changes have happened to the game.

My question to the founders is how has warframe changed over its 3-4 years of development in comparison to the current update? cause i really am curious as to how warframe has progressed considering in an episode of prime time, one of the developers mentioned that without the support of founders and other players around 2013, warframe would not have even existed today. To make up for missed out time on Warframe I want to hear what major changes to the game were noticed by founders or other members of the community without having to go through every single dev stream just to see what has changed. If i really have to examine update/hotfix pages, please leave links to MAJOR updates (for example U18.5).

Thanks for the info if you commented.

Imagine Warframe but with 20 weapons, eight warframes, and one tileset for two enemy types. Not factions. Enemy types.

The Gorgon was the highest DPS weapon in the game, Rhino was invincible, Loki could get stuck on walls because he ran too fast, etc.

Gosh, this game has changed so much...

In short, it change a freaking lot. I missed a big chunk of it myself since I've only started playing when U10 hit. But there were a lot of changes.

Noticeable changes (IMO):

1. Damage 1.0 -> 2.0 . (Boltor was op since it had armor piercing)

2. Parcour 1.0 -> 2.0 Gold age of coptering. (Crouch attacks with fast melee launched you forward like a bullet)

3. Interface 1.0 -> 2.0 (It was kinda clunky: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=206655289)

Started in October of 2013...quite a different game back then. It felt much more tactical, especially as a beginner. Headshots were mandatory for practically any enemy, armor-ignore was required for anything above Mercury, and parkour was quite bland. You actually had to use stairs back then (shocking, I know), unless you were Excalibur (Super Jump OP).

There were powers that could shut down enemies, but they were difficult to spam, and often were a tactical decision. You could hallway hero, but the power of the individual was diminished as compared to now; staying together as a squad, especially when defending an objective, was crucial. Seems like cryopods died much faster back then.

The thing that gets me the most was sound effects. God, I miss the old level up sound. It was the best thing to hear, period. 

Now, we have a much more polished game, that has somewhat turned into a horde-mode game. The reason tactical gameplay can't really return is that we have tanks that could nullify damaging enemies, CC frames that can shut down an ambush down the hall, or weapons that can obliterate enemies in a 15 meter radius with really no effort.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Warframe, but sometimes I want to take a break from playing an invincible berserker (Chroma x Ack/Brunt forever) and get more tactical. Using frames like Excalibur and older weapons like Latron Prime/Braton Prime in solo definitely give that feel.

The game is for sure better, but nostalgia is still strong.

11 minutes ago, Sitchrea said:

Imagine Warframe but with 20 weapons, eight warframes, and one tileset for two enemy types. Not factions. Enemy types.

The Gorgon was the highest DPS weapon in the game, Rhino was invincible, Loki could get stuck on walls because he ran too fast, etc.

Gosh, this game has changed so much...

hmmm... that does seem intriguing, also if i remember correctly from when i was browsing youtube for a mesa build a few months ago, there was a sort of stamina system in warframe, i wonder why that was removed cause with the sheer amount of mobility frames that exist at this time, it would kinda make sense to bring it back to a degree since it has an element of strategy to it cause games like GTAV pull off the whole stamina thing quite well. Im not saying bring it back as it was in the beginning but make some tweaks so it.

Edited by GRIFFONP

31 minutes ago, GRIFFONP said:

how has warframe changed over its 3-4 years of development in comparison to the current update?

The grind hasn't changed. Now it just have more layers to the same grind.
fewer "unique" weapon types
fewer unique frames with drastically different abilities
No lore what so ever but people didn't really care about it. The most amount of lore was tennos was an ancient race of warriors make of a type of energy

The most drastic and most overwhelming change from closed and up to now is the old gritty dark eerie space theme is completely absent.
Warframe used to feel like darkspace. Now it just feels like it doesn't know what it wants to be other than to make sure each race/faction of people are different and can be distinguished

The only thing I ever look forward to is new tilesets but for the most part I feel the changes/reworks in the past 2 years have been almost "lifeless".

Spoiler

conclave was a good idea but it was never improved upon. Since most the game is pve focus only a small percent play pve and majority of the time its to just unlock cosmetics.
Archwing movement 2.0. For what reason?
nerfing meta game frames yet frames that aren't used still haven't been buffed to match the nerfs
Void is completely useless now other than liset decorations, codex scanning and a single type of resource.

Edited by Wevi

Everything is better... Except the grind... We need more quests (which we are getting) but I would like longer quests then just "here's a quest with awesome cinematics", I want playable content more then cinematic

But all in all the devs have done and still are doing a fantastic job!

As a founder and closed beta player there's way too much to list about how much this game has changed it's honestly insane I can't believe how far this game has actually gone. The huge changes was how modding back in closed beta was actually a skill tree, to damage 1.0 then 2.0 and soon damage 3.0 http://imgur.com/a/nLN9J . Coptoring to parkour. From the old ui to star chart 3.0. From the game having no lore to having so much more like it's an actual story now. Entire focus system. adding 8 player co-op raids when back then I never thought we would having something like this. The huge amount of enemies. Boss reworks like way back vor use to complete red and smash you with a stun stick which actually use to hurt a lot. 

Honestly I'm not even going to lie I barely played in closed beta up to around u10ish because I hated this game far too much. There wasn't enough to do back then barely any weapons and the grind was so awful it made me stop playing the game. When I game back into the game around u10 I was completely shocked by how far this game got and because of that I bought founders (wish I bought Grandmaster) and ever since then I haven't stopped playing this game 

The first big change I remember was in CBT, when they made enemies drop loot. Before that, drops only came from crates. 

The first rework on Volt's Overload was probably the biggest change for me personally, took him from the single best DPS character in the game to meh. He used to be able to clear the entire map with his ult due to the way it daisy-chained between electronics.

I mained him for the next seventeen updates because I was stubborn, and I refused to let the nerfs stop me from playing my favorite character. Now we have the Volt rework, which is totally awesome and brought him back to relevance. 

1 hour ago, DogManDan said:

Do I need to even post my early videos from 2013 to show you the difference is EXTREME

Yes, I love old WF videos.

I dunno, the game was good back then. It was difficult. You couldnt spam powers, you actually had to play. I miss old WF greatly.