Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opinions and thoughts on Rhino

CorbenikTheRebirth

Question

Hey everybody, new to the forums but not to the game.

Wanted to get opinions and thoughts on my favorite frame.

I've used rhino basically since it existed and it has been my favorite frame. Personally I do think it is just a bad frame, it makes for bad habits, and in the late game doesn't contribute much. However I still love it and want it to be amazing, so I tried making a build that can do Sorties, and trials, and be a solid contributor. Now I might have Rosey red glasses on and ignoring the truth, so I want some serious thoughts and also criticism, and if deserved, praise that it actually works.

Before I go into the build I wanted to talked about my issues with Rhino. Main one I see, which I'm confident I grew out of was the over cockyness of iron skin in the early game and mid game. People feel invincible and don't learn how to dodge, take cover, and utilize the mechanics of the game to survive. This is easy to remedy though. Next off, Roar (or as I callem War Rhinos) who utilize duration and strength usually to make rhino roar a tool for the team. Tying this into the issue of what he does for the team, the roar, even modded properly, is pretty weak. Banshee and nova can do more of that, with a lot of other synergy tools so I feel roar just falls off once you approach late game. Also, ability cancelers just make most rhinos shut up, your iron got canceled, you weren't paying attention and you died. Happens a lot haha. So I wanted to create a build that could address all of this issues and make rhino a great frame.

So now the build, Starting with mods. (NOTE: this build is centered on not just mods, but the gear, the companion, and the arcanes to bring it all together, it is nothing with that all around synergy.)

Aura: Stand United.    Honestly a bad aura mod :facepalm:, but it does help him the most and it can make an impact on other frames, and there really isn't another mod out there that contributes whole heartedly to this build's idea. (In my mind at least)

Exilus: Coaction Drift    For stand united yes, but also for you teams, more energy regen and weapon damage is also a plus and more armor to an extent is always nice.

Base (all maxed): Armored Agility, Steel Fiber, Vitality, Redirection, Primed Flow, Blind rage, transient fortitude, iron shrapnel. 

THATS RIGHT ITS AN IRON SKIN BUILD, oh lord have mercy. "Well it obviously not a team build then" 

Hold your horses, there was thought here I swear, which we'll go over after build.

^ Link to the build if you like to see with pictures, note that stand uninted is not on that site so it is rejuvenation there as a place holder.

Weapons:

Primary: Tigris Prime/Vaykor Hek/Boar Prime   (each one is a different damage archetype, side note, this have maxed primed mods, event mods for each damage type, and corrupted annnnd event status element mods to fit into which ever enemy is being fought) These, aside from vaykor hek, don't contribute to the build other than, look I do deal a lot of damage.

Secondary: Vaykor Marelok/Pox        This is huge contributor to the build (pox is usually only taken if vaykor Hek is), the justice ability of vaykor is great, bonus armor and healing, but we'll get into the details of how it fits after.

Melee: Rakta Dark dagger    Yup no variance, huge core of the build (I NEED IT OK!)

Companion: Wrym Prime/ Carrier Prime (<-pretty rare choice):  Wrym has the wonderful crowd dispersion, and when you are charging head first into a large crowd more cc is great and helps rhino perform his due diligence even more

Process: Step 1super easy peasy 70+ energy iron skin go!Good now we are mediocre rhino. Now time for us to shine. Rhino kit and design is to be the frame that charges in, pulls aggro and ccs hard to disrupt the enemy and let the squishes come in and clean house, but late game, your iron skin is weak so you'll charge and die. Requires a little set up, but let's mitigate this. First off, utilize rakta dark dagger (who cares if they resist radiation, you can still trigger its passives.) and build up an over shield cache. Now you got some chunky shields for when your iron does go down, you arent dead, probably won't even touch your normal shields. Next whip out your secondary (maybe primary) and start working up that justice passive, you'll deal damage, marelok has great status and crit, and can be built for any scenario as a great damage dealer, when just is about to pop, you rhino charge in, laying in some cc, finish off just. Utilize your new augment, recast to break your iron skin, deal good damge and even knock with some light cc and recast your iron skin. Just got a really good armor increase, now you have an much more powerful iron skin AND your in heart of the crowd, let's utilize that aggro and that built up iron skin and start hitting hard with some more charges, combo it for low energy and its guaranteed knock around.

Finally on the helmet we are rocking a complete set of Arcane Guardian, your overshields get shot, you might get extra armor oi boi. And on the syndana Arcane agility full set, also on damaged. I know these arcanes are a little on the lower side, but I did personally feel they provided good synergy but I may be wrong, still a little new to the arcanes.

So that's the core of it, dagger for overshield caches for when it gets canceled or breaks, justice ability for increased armor and healing, arcanes to enhance more armor and also mobility to get clear and redo your tanky build up and mods the enable iron skin because iron skin enables all of your other abilities to be used efficiently<---- thats the core idea of all of this. SO, let me know what you think, hate, love, and feel needs to changed or stroke my ego and say "damn son, that's best damn rhino I've ever seen." 

Rhino is a great frame. 1 mobility power, 1 Aoe nuke/CC, 1 team buff, 1 defensive buff. Great versatility for new players and seasoned players alike. Awesome for running the starmap.

Weapons: there are no wrong choices. Rhino's buffs synergize well with whatever weapons you choose to bring.

Aura: I always run CP... But stand united is the + armor one right? Not the worst one you could run I suppose, buffs your iron skin.

For Exilus, Since i have the arcane rhino vanguard helmet, I actually really like rush. Rhino Prime can get pretty high up there in terms of movement and mobility.

For my Arcane: I actually have trouble choosing an effective arcane on Rhino since iron skin prevents all of the "on getting damaged" arcanes. That doesnt leave much, you could do energize but I haven't ever had energy problems on Rhino. I tried doing victory but thats only to heal me and i rarely need the healing.

Edited by Skaleek

1 minute ago, Skaleek said:

Rhino is a great frame. 1 mobility power, 1 Aoe nuke/CC, 1 team buff, 1 defensive buff. Great versatility for new players and seasoned players alike. Awesome for running the starmap.

Weapons: there are no wrong choices. Rhino's buffs synergize well with whatever weapons you choose to bring.

Aura: I always run CP... But stand united is the + armor one right? Not the worst one you could run I suppose, buffs your iron skin.

For Exilus, Since i have the arcane rhino vanguard helmet, I actually really like rush. Rhino Prime can get pretty high up there in terms of movement and mobility.

Rush is what i had until I got the arcane agility, that replaced rush for movement speed, so i then brought in coaction, stand united it the aura armor yes, 29.5% bonus armor without cocation. 

2 minutes ago, CorbenikTheRebirth said:

Rush is what i had until I got the arcane agility, that replaced rush for movement speed, so i then brought in coaction, stand united it the aura armor yes, 29.5% bonus armor without cocation. 

But agility can only proc when you have iron skin off :sad:

Edited by Skaleek

5 minutes ago, Skaleek said:

But agility can only proc when you have iron skin off :sad:

Very true.... HMMMMM food for thought. The last detail I forgot to throw in there, and the main reason Iron Shrapnel is in the build is I want to cast and recast Iron whenever I want, but that doesn't create ideal situation to use the arcane agility. Maybe I got to work out the efficiency of coaction and stand united. 

Personally I'm not a fan of the tank builds for rhino, but I *am* a fan of the Stomp and Roar builds. Both are focused on team play and scale well into late game. Frankly Stomp is one of the best CC abilities in the game if you build it right, which is why he's getting more and more popular in LoR. I just don't like the fact that Iron Skin convinces new players that they are invincible, only to let them down in serious content.

6 minutes ago, CorbenikTheRebirth said:

Rush is what i had until I got the arcane agility, that replaced rush for movement speed

You really get that much utility out of that? I've found that rush isn't even close to fast enough, so instead I go for mobilize or lightning dash and just parkour. It's much faster. Frankly parkour is so fast that I usually don't even use a parkour mod, because I don't need one. I'm always stuck waiting for somebody slower than me, without using any speed/parkour mods at all.

9 minutes ago, CorbenikTheRebirth said:

stand united it the aura armor yes, 29.5% bonus armor without cocation. 

I feel like there are plenty of auras that will help you a lot more. CP, of course, or one of the amp auras (pistol, shotgun, rifle, or steel charge). Growing Power is also really nice.

sorry, after the 3rd time of I love rhino but he's bad and here's the list but no really I love rhino I started skimming. You really play rhino consistently? He's got a tool kit that makes him the universal frame, high survivability, mobility and damage deep into the game. I've personally solo'd every element of the game that is doable as a single player, (obviously not raids and such)...he's got the capacity to survive every situation in the hands of a good player, but that is true of most every frame and weapon in the game, in the right hands they are excellent tools.

Now, I do think Iron skin would be ok with a duration applied as it would not hurt that skill at all and would force the newer user to think a little bit more. Rhino can be a bit mindless when it comes to most standard content as once you've got a little experience with him and mods he does indeed become invincible and able to walk through everything. So the newer player does have to remember to practice proper play on maps so when he switches to a new or different frame he's not standing there soaking damage expecting it not to sting a little( once in a while I get reminded of that myself when a bombard slaps me down on another frame)..

I love rhino's versatility and general use approach to play, with him I have killed all bosses, handled most events, run solo survivals for 45 minutes or more (up to an hour as a personal solo best once),

I don't really get these "builds" again that people keep referring to. I don't use arcanes of any kind, don't have any of the specialty mods like prime flow on ( in fact I have 150 energy on my rhino), I'm sure that I don't have the maximum anything at all except maybe efficiency and yet rhino never fails me. So I'd say if you're having sub par results as much of your underlying sentiment implies I'd say there's a problem in your build or play style not in the frame.

5 minutes ago, Babellon said:

sorry, after the 3rd time of I love rhino but he's bad and here's the list but no really I love rhino I started skimming. You really play rhino consistently? He's got a tool kit that makes him the universal frame, high survivability, mobility and damage deep into the game. I've personally solo'd every element of the game that is doable as a single player, (obviously not raids and such)...he's got the capacity to survive every situation in the hands of a good player, but that is true of most every frame and weapon in the game, in the right hands they are excellent tools.

Now, I do think Iron skin would be ok with a duration applied as it would not hurt that skill at all and would force the newer user to think a little bit more. Rhino can be a bit mindless when it comes to most standard content as once you've got a little experience with him and mods he does indeed become invincible and able to walk through everything. So the newer player does have to remember to practice proper play on maps so when he switches to a new or different frame he's not standing there soaking damage expecting it not to sting a little( once in a while I get reminded of that myself when a bombard slaps me down on another frame)..

I love rhino's versatility and general use approach to play, with him I have killed all bosses, handled most events, run solo survivals for 45 minutes or more (up to an hour as a personal solo best once),

I don't really get these "builds" again that people keep referring to. I don't use arcanes of any kind, don't have any of the specialty mods like prime flow on ( in fact I have 150 energy on my rhino), I'm sure that I don't have the maximum anything at all except maybe efficiency and yet rhino never fails me. So I'd say if you're having sub par results as much of your underlying sentiment implies I'd say there's a problem in your build or play style not in the frame.

I appreciate the input, I wouldn't say I have a hard time as much as when I'm doing raids, and sorties (and that's it) I sometimes felt I was just wasting a slot and other frame could do better, so I wanted to make him great for those and also endless missions for over hour survivals. What you're talking about I view moreso as mid game, and rhino doesn't require any effort mid game. 

13 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Personally I'm not a fan of the tank builds for rhino, but I *am* a fan of the Stomp and Roar builds. Both are focused on team play and scale well into late game. Frankly Stomp is one of the best CC abilities in the game if you build it right, which is why he's getting more and more popular in LoR. I just don't like the fact that Iron Skin convinces new players that they are invincible, only to let them down in serious content.

You really get that much utility out of that? I've found that rush isn't even close to fast enough, so instead I go for mobilize or lightning dash and just parkour. It's much faster. Frankly parkour is so fast that I usually don't even use a parkour mod, because I don't need one. I'm always stuck waiting for somebody slower than me, without using any speed/parkour mods at all.

I feel like there are plenty of auras that will help you a lot more. CP, of course, or one of the amp auras (pistol, shotgun, rifle, or steel charge). Growing Power is also really nice.

I took a break for quite a while so I wasn't aware of the dashes until very recently, rush is a pretty old mod. I'm sure there are more efficient things like the dashes that I need to look into. Part of the reason I posted this, I'm running on old knowledge.

Growing power was another mod I just kinda missed, that's actually a really game changer especially marelok and pox

Edited by CorbenikTheRebirth

Spoiler

xDwrdvO.jpg

6BsjTMV.jpg

This is what I'm currently working with, figured it was simpler to use screenshots, as you can see I'm not set up for any maximization and in fact have a bit of utility to him. I use him for farming, general running amok, weapon leveling, and all around mayhem. I'm highly mobile and tend to use cover a lot to keep myself in the habit of good play habits since on other frames knowing how to make that crate soak damage instead of me is a good thing.

Perhaps you try it and see how you feel with him. I'm not sure what end game is in your reference, as aside from raid content I've done everything else with him though admittedly I don't run sorties either so it's quite likely that I need some modifications, I'm open to some education on my favorite frame.

28 minutes ago, CorbenikTheRebirth said:

Yeah Ill try it as another config, i had something similar in the sense of no vitality or redirection, but on corpus and void runs the nullifers would sometimes catch me which just means death. But all around balance is interesting I'll give it a shot thank you :)

Haven't had any issues with Nullifiers except in some special circumstances personally, I have magnetic viral on the stiletto for that purpose. I'm recently switching to syrberus s a rifle because I'm tired of impact and that continuous stagger that seems to move them out from under my curser more often than anything else without really giving me any advantage, but that's grineer and more puncture and corrosive just pops anything I aim at. Karak/wraith is my typical go to primary but its nice to switch things up a bit.

berserker on that hammer and he's swinging fast and critting constantly on infested. plus the hammer is just fun to use. through that invisiblity focus on and rhino becomes the unstoppable force +stealth

Edited by Babellon

1 hour ago, Azrael said:

These days Rush is for spam Rollers.

Your Roll velocity is affected by your sprint speed so more sprint speed gives you more velocity when spamming roll. With Rush it's about the same speed as bullet jumping except you get free CC immunity and +75% migration. The method happens to be esp good on Vanguard Rhino.

There's only three frames I don't use Rush on. Mirage, Titania and Nekros.  Mirage's passive actually hurts your roll velocity. +% Parkour increases the animation speed and you actually want slower animation speed.

I've been wanting to race someone for a while now comparing the two but from what I've noticed over the past year is that there's very little difference when you slot Rush and you get free survivability which leads me to spam Roll just being better long as you slot Rush which by comparison to other Exilus slots feels totally worth it to me.

@CorbenikTheRebirth  I like the thought behind your build but sadly you're trying to fill out a role that doesn't really exist. Iron Skin is notoriously a newbie build because mitigation doesn't scale into late game at all, it doesn't matter how much you put into it. Inevitably even frames like Chroma get beat to hell.

In terms of Roar there are some  perks to it that other buffs lack. It keeps your proc weigh proportions for the sake of Viral / Bleeds and it's one of the few buffs that can increase bleed damage output. In terms of placement Rhino is around 4th or 5th best buff frame. Banshee > Ember > Volt > Nova > Rhino roughly. His stomp gives him CC that really none of the other buff frames above him can match.

The way my teams usually go for endurance runs is a CC frame and 3 buffs frames. Banshee is a given, then often Nova with 130-150% Duration and a 4th slot. Rhino makes up one of the choices in that fourth slot with perks of his own. He's still in the top 10 frames for meta groups.

Edited by Xzorn

Iron Shrapnel is convenient to have, but if you want to actually use Iron Skin for things at higher Levels, you should have Ironclad Charge in there somewhere.
it's also useful outside of Iron Skin too.

your lack of Efficiency will mean you're either compensating by binding Energy Pizza to W, or you just are ineffective in Gameplay.
a not positive Duration Rhino is a useless Rhino.
Stretch tends to be valuable to consider to have so Stomp applies more CC, and Roar reaches pretty much anyone within the same zip code.

don't be tricked by the outdated Players that rely on maximum Power Strength to try and carry them - Ironclad Charge is much better for those looking to try and be 'the wall' with Iron Skin.

if not using Ironclad Charge, then i highly suggest not casting Iron Skin unless you're starting to take a lot of Damage really quickly. for multiple reasons:

• you are currently getting hit a lot, which is a good situation for Iron Skin to boost its Health.
  • you can use your Shields and perhaps some of your Health as a buffer to reduce the amount of Damage Iron Skin needs to be able to save you from
    • this also reduces how often you need it. at some point Enemies will deal enough Damage that this doesn't work anymore but not having it running at all times means that when you truly need the Health, it's going to be high/full.
      obviously if you're always going to have Iron Shrapnel, you can resolve this yourself.

2 hours ago, CorbenikTheRebirth said:
  Hide contents

^ Link to the build if you like to see with pictures, note that stand uninted is not on that site so it is rejuvenation there as a place holder.

Weapons:

Melee: Rakta Dark dagger    Yup no variance, huge core of the build (I NEED IT OK!)

Couple things--

- Are you sure you need both Vitality and Redirection? You've already got an absolutely horrifyingly tanky Iron Skin PLUS Iron shrapnel; I'm certain your health won't be taking damage as long as you can keep your energy up. You could easily take one of those mods off with no downsides and build for some Efficiency/Duration/Range. (Or Ironclad Charge. Ohhhh boy, Ironclad Charge would work amazingly with that power strength.)

- Is the RaktaDD really that great at bringing your shields up? I mean, I'd imagine the shield gain is slow, and even capped Overshields (+1200 shields) is piddly compared to your refreshable Iron Skin. I think slotting in a melee weapon that can do raw damage, like the Atterax or something, would work far better for your build.

Those are the first things I would change, anyway. Other than that, really digging your build! (I just hope you're using Zenurik with it, though.)

14 minutes ago, Trichouette said:

You can't play seriously rhino at high level without using ironclad charge...
Use this and thank me later :

Reveal hidden contents

Yea the justice trigger along with acrcane close the gap, armor has a peak efficiency where it starts to fall off, didn't want to push too far. Also, theres nothing in the spoiler haha

1 hour ago, Xzorn said:

Your Roll velocity is affected by your sprint speed so more sprint speed gives you more velocity when spamming roll.

Huh. I had always felt faster while rolling when using a parkour mod. I actually roll a lot, frequently in the air (I'm a huge fan of bullet jump->double jump->roll combos). I stopped using rush a long time ago when I stopped running everywhere and started to parkour everywhere instead. I'll have to try this, because it sounds interesting.

3 minutes ago, CorbenikTheRebirth said:

Yea the justice trigger along with acrcane close the gap, armor has a peak efficiency where it starts to fall off, didn't want to push too far. Also, theres nothing in the spoiler haha

I fixed it, check again.

Plus ironclad charge is NOT here for the armor effect on hp, but for the armor effect on IRON SKIN.

Who care about hp when you can get 50k ferrite armor on top of your hp/shield

1 hour ago, Xzorn said:

Your Roll velocity is affected by your sprint speed so more sprint speed gives you more velocity when spamming roll.

7 minutes ago, Azrael said:

I'll have to try this, because it sounds interesting.

Okay after testing it I'm thinking you're incorrect. With Rush on it felt the same to me as without it, whereas with a parkour mod my rolls had the same animation speed but went farther, meaning it was faster. It's possible that I just mis-saw things, but my guess is that rush does not impact roll in any way, but parkour mods do. So parkour mods seem to work best.

41 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Okay after testing it I'm thinking you're incorrect. With Rush on it felt the same to me as without it, whereas with a parkour mod my rolls had the same animation speed but went farther, meaning it was faster. It's possible that I just mis-saw things, but my guess is that rush does not impact roll in any way, but parkour mods do. So parkour mods seem to work best.

This.

In the sim room, I had my back to the wall underneath the spawn platform, and rolled to the pillar in the center of the arena.

4 to get up to the pillar without a parkour mod (5 to touch said pillar), and 3 (4 to touch) with Lightning Dash.

2 hours ago, Azrael said:

I made a video comparison.

No Rush = Left,   Rush = Right

I did make a mistake with Parkour +% sine I was using Mirage as a base and she has +% FASTER and not simply +% which makes rolling less productive.

The difference is more noticeable on frames with lower base Sprint Speed like Nyx and Rhino while being little difference for Loki.  Rhino is esp noticeable since his Vanguard also gives +% movement, amplifying the momentum effect.

Thought there's some variation and simply the extra boost from Sprinting around the course, you can notice in the first straight away that Nyx requires about half a roll less with Rush and Rhino requires 3 rolls with Rush and 4 rolls without Rush. I haven't compared to +% Parkour yet but even though it's likely faster I would prolly be bias to Rush since it's consistent at any point when you're not shooting and superior around corners and points where rolling is not going to save you anything.

2 hours ago, Xzorn said:

I made a video comparison.

No Rush = Left,   Rush = Right

What I see is a frame with rush running faster than a frame without it. No surprise there, since you are running in between rolls. But it is hard to see what the actual result on rolling is when you are also running, since it's hard to count out the distance you travel in between rolls.

However I have tested rolling (without sprinting at the same time) in the simulacrum with and without rush and I went the exact same distance. By not running in between rolls it is easy to see differences in distance traveled, and there aren't any.

Unless the benefit of rush is only activated when you are actually sprinting (which doesn't make sense since sprinting and rolling are different things) I can't see any benefit. Just to be sure, though, I'll try again in an actual mission, just to see if it just doesn't work in the simulacrum. I'll try running at the same time, but like I said it is much harder to tell that way.

28 minutes ago, Azrael said:

What I see is a frame with rush running faster than a frame without it. No surprise there, since you are running in between rolls. But it is hard to see what the actual result on rolling is when you are also running, since it's hard to count out the distance you travel in between rolls.

However I have tested rolling (without sprinting at the same time) in the simulacrum with and without rush and I went the exact same distance. By not running in between rolls it is easy to see differences in distance traveled, and there aren't any.

Unless the benefit of rush is only activated when you are actually sprinting (which doesn't make sense since sprinting and rolling are different things) I can't see any benefit. Just to be sure, though, I'll try again in an actual mission, just to see if it just doesn't work in the simulacrum. I'll try running at the same time, but like I said it is much harder to tell that way.

Stationary testing doesn't really work. Sprinting and Rolling are separate but from what I can tell, Roll is a modifier to you current speed, since Rush is only active when sprinting I don't think it's possible to see the difference without sprinting.

I'll try and macro Roll to remove the intermediate sprinting between rolls but I'll have to find a good straight away and use a marker cuz I doubt I'll be able to turn.

7 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

Sprinting and Rolling are separate but from what I can tell, Roll is a modifier to you current speed, since Rush is only active when sprinting I don't think it's possible to see the difference without sprinting.

If this is true, then parkour mods are still better for me (and many like me) unless I am using volt's speed buff. Most of the speed I get from rolling is from doing it in between parkour maneuvers, or during them, and not while sprinting. I almost never just sprint. Instead I bullet jump, then double jump and roll at basically the same time, for a massive speed boost. Or I roll coming out of a slide or bullet jump. Or I roll around a corner then bullet jump. If I want to go a really long way, I may bullet juimp, double jump, aimglide, then roll while aimgliding. None of these seem like they may be helped by Rush, while they will all be helped immensely by a parkour mod. I'll probably experiment a bit with it, just to make sure. But frankly I'm not going to start just sprinting around because of how slow it is, even with Rush. I've stayed ahead of people using Rush while I was using no speed mods at all, I was just parkouring.

I'll take a further look, though. It may be that I'm mistaken about how it works, and rolling during parkour maneuvers might actually benefit from Rush. I'll certain;y want to know about it if that's the case.