• 2 90% elemental mods
  • 1 more 90% elemental mod, Argon Scope, or Bladed Rounds

Elementals are

• Corrosive or Corrosive-Cold for armored Grineer and Corrupted
  • Viral or Viral-Heat for unarmored Grineer and Corrupted
  • Magnetic, Toxin, or Magnetic-Toxin for Corpus
  • Corrosive or Corrosive-Heat for Infested
Edited by Inarticulate

Basically what the last two people said is the only remotely decent build for crit rifles.

I would suggest swapping heavy caliber for argon scope, but if you are the sort of person that uses soma prime in the first place, headshots are probably not a concern..

As a point of interest, i have seen some gloriously horrible soma noob builds over the years, including one that had both slash mods, no elemental damage and speed trigger, from a mr18 player. RIP draco-boosted trash.

28 minutes ago, FlyingLlama said:

Basically what the last two people said is the only remotely decent build for crit rifles.

I would suggest swapping heavy caliber for argon scope, but if you are the sort of person that uses soma prime in the first place, headshots are probably not a concern..

As a point of interest, i have seen some gloriously horrible soma noob builds over the years, including one that had both slash mods, no elemental damage and speed trigger, from a mr18 player. RIP draco-boosted trash.

omg.....i had once trinity  mr21 who claim that range mods on trin are waste of slot.. i spent at least 20 plates that run so yeah

Serration - Split Chamber - Point Strike - Vital Sense
Bladed Rounds - Shred - Elemental - Elemental

It's been mentioned once or twice, but Bladed Rounds is excellent on the SomaP. You'll see top rated builds with Heavy Barrel on them, but frankly I find that to be a poor choice on a crit rifle, as the ability to make use of those crit head shots is severely hampered.

Shred is also a "Must have" imho. It adds a nice ROF boost, but the game changer is that punch through. You can shred entire mobs very, very quickly with good positioning and I'd never consider running the SomaP without it now.

Personally, I find 75% CritC to be more than enough, so that Argon Scope isn't really needed all that much. It's nice to have the occasional red crit here and there, but it's not exactly a game changer imho.

But yeah... Ignore those who waffle on about Heavy Barrel on the SomaP.

1 hour ago, Hitsuke said:

Serration - Split Chamber - Point Strike - Vital Sense
Bladed Rounds - Shred - Elemental - Elemental

It's been mentioned once or twice, but Bladed Rounds is excellent on the SomaP. You'll see top rated builds with Heavy Barrel on them, but frankly I find that to be a poor choice on a crit rifle, as the ability to make use of those crit head shots is severely hampered.

Shred is also a "Must have" imho. It adds a nice ROF boost, but the game changer is that punch through. You can shred entire mobs very, very quickly with good positioning and I'd never consider running the SomaP without it now.

Personally, I find 75% CritC to be more than enough, so that Argon Scope isn't really needed all that much. It's nice to have the occasional red crit here and there, but it's not exactly a game changer imho.

But yeah... Ignore those who waffle on about Heavy Barrel on the SomaP.

Heavy Caliber is good if you plan to use the Soma in short to mid ranges where you're not likely to miss, so you can still get those crit headshots. You're also unlikely to score headshots against MOAs, so Heavy Caliber's a good choice if you're up against the Corpus since most of the enemies you'll be fighting will have heads so small you'd miss them without the accuracy loss anyway. If you plan to mostly use your Soma Prime at a long range, then don't use Heavy Caliber, but there are probably better weapons for picking off enemies at a long range, and I usually use my Lex Prime for that purpose.

Shred is a "must have," that I agree with since it allows you to have 2x to 3x your damage output since you'll be hitting 2 or 3 enemies simultaneously whereas otherwise you'd be wasting all your ammo killing enemies one at a time.

There's debate about Argon Scope vs Bladed Rounds. On paper, Bladed Rounds gives more damage. But that's on paper, which means it may not hold in actual practice, such as with Vile Acceleration vs Shred where Vile Acceleration gives you more DPS, but results in poor ammo efficiency and Shred can in practice provide more DPS because of the ability to hit multiple targets simultaneously. Bladed Rounds will provide more DPS but requires a kill for the effect to trigger, which can be hard to accomplish with a Soma Prime at higher levels, whereas Argon Scope can trigger on the first bullet if it's a headshot. At higher levels, Argon Scope is more useful than Bladed Rounds due to the time and ammo needed to trigger the effect, but it'll be harder to trigger Argon Scope against Corpus MOAs and drones, or Infested Chargers, Crawlers, and Mutalist Drones. So it basically comes down to preference and scenario.

My built

Serration

heavy caliber

Argon scope

point strike

vital sense

split chamber

2 element x 90

Reasons :

1. Warframe 1st shot is always accurate.

Just get headshot one the 1st shot and argon scope will trigger

( doesnt matter far or near)

-> once it crit activated, doesnt matter where the bullet land on the target, the damage will still be massive.

2. there is no way bladed rounds 120 % can match heavy caliber 165 %.

With bladed rounds,  is true your multiplier become x 10.2

So it means out of 4 shots

94. 8 x 3 x 10.2 + 94.8 ( 1 shot that not crit) = 2995.68

Where as heavy caliber

165.36 x 3 x 6.6 + 165.36 = 3439.48

And to make it much simpler, bladed rounds require you to kill 1 thing before it can activate while heavy caliber doesnt.

3. I would agree to swap heavy caliber for shred if you want to shoot super far range but swapping it for bladed rounds simply not that good 

with shred

(94.8 x 3 x 6.6 + 94.8) x 1.3 ( u shoot 30% faster) = 2563.40 x 2 ( if got 2 enemies ) = 5126.8

dats all folks

You have a control shot of 3 - 10 bullets to activate the argon scope non stop.

3. It is true that with shred or

Soma CPx4 Void:

OE06lnF.jpg

Soma CPx4 Grineer:

V07fjrb.jpg

Soma lvl 80-140 Armored:

ZSIJB5g.jpg

Soma Corpus:

h8DvYLF.jpg

Soma Infested:

x3aaZGk.jpg

I prefer Heavy Cal over Argon since I don't want to zoom for short-mid range shots. Bladed Rounds gives higher Damage than Argon Scope and Shred is a preference mod. I find when I need to head-shot enemies I won't hit anything behind them. Punch-through is best for body shot weapons.

In terms of the armor shredding build I believe 60/60x2 + 90%x1 Corrosive will begin to overtake the 90%x2 + 60/60x1 build after lvl 140 but you'll dump an entire mag on one Heavy unit at that point so I'd just go with CPx4 if possible.

In terms of raw damage it's Heavy Cal > Bane > Bladed > Argon.> Shred.

This setup is 6 V and 1 -- polarity. 7 Forma total and you can swap to any combination.

Edited by Xzorn

11 hours ago, Heckzu said:

Heavy Caliber is good if you plan to use the Soma in short to mid ranges where you're not likely to miss, so you can still get those crit headshots. You're also unlikely to score headshots against MOAs, so Heavy Caliber's a good choice if you're up against the Corpus since most of the enemies you'll be fighting will have heads so small you'd miss them without the accuracy loss anyway. If you plan to mostly use your Soma Prime at a long range, then don't use Heavy Caliber, but there are probably better weapons for picking off enemies at a long range, and I usually use my Lex Prime for that purpose.

I still don't see the point in HC, The SomaP is an excellent, versatile weapon that's capable of hitting targets for good damage from any distance, and HC completely bones that versatility. I'd rather just switch to a Hek or Tigris if I want a short/mid range option. The damage increase, compared to the accuracy loss just doesn't justify running it for me personally.

I'll not bother to quote the rest as I agree pretty much 100% with everything else you said. I never use my SomaP for high end content, but in the scenario you describe Argon Scope does indeed make more sense.

11 hours ago, NativeKiller said:

Heavy Barrel...?

Do you mean Heavy Caliber?

I do indeed mean Heavy Caliber, you are correct! Heavy Barrel is a mod from APB and I often find myself mixing the two up :P

5 hours ago, aligatorno said:

Carrier takes care of that. I never ran out of ammo when I had him with me. 

This ^ 

Since Ammo Case landed, I've never needed a mutation mod on any weapons I run. It does an ample job of keeping you in supply.

Same as it's always been.

You do want to run HC, but don't bother if it's not maxed. The additional dispersion of HC isn't that big of a deal, but it is noticeable. You'll have more aiming error from mouse twitchiness than what HC contributes.

The main optional mod is shred. I like it for shooting through cover and the potential of multiple hits from one bullet, but here's where you can fit in things like argon scope and bladed rounds--or another elemental. Also, the Soma and SomaP benefit very greatly from RoF mods, so keep vile acceleration in mind. It's a huge dps boost, but you have to have a high degree of trigger discipline.

Otherwise, it's the usual serration, split chamber, crit mods, and 90% elemental combo.

On 10/21/2016 at 1:04 PM, ashrah said:

omg.....i had once trinity  mr21 who claim that range mods on trin are waste of slot.. i spent at least 20 plates that run so yeah

Let me guess, max-rank narrow minded? Trinity needs at least 145% range. Nothing more is needed unless the team is a bunch of garbage hallway heros (or for very specific game modes), though. OE is just dumb.

14 hours ago, Hitsuke said:

I still don't see the point in HC, The SomaP is an excellent, versatile weapon that's capable of hitting targets for good damage from any distance, and HC completely bones that versatility. I'd rather just switch to a Hek or Tigris if I want a short/mid range option. The damage increase, compared to the accuracy loss just doesn't justify running it for me personally.

You generally have to choose between short-mid or mid-long. You don't really get both without taking a large drop in DPS. IMO Heavy Cal's reduction in accuracy is also exaggerated by players who use Shred due to the interaction of Fire Rate, the Accuracy stat and trigger discipline.

Despite the accuracy the Acolyte mods require you to zoom or they're a complete damage loss instead of a slight one at long range.

When it all comes down to it your kill rate is what's most important. How quickly you kill a Heavy and how quickly you kill multiple enemies so when you have to zoom for short-mid range on every target against a weapon that doesn't have to zoom and thereby also has better peripheral vision and mobility, You're just not likely to match the killing speed. At the same time that weapon is not going to match your long range killing speed due to missing shots.

Most anything else involved is just play style.

4 hours ago, FlyingLlama said:

Let me guess, max-rank narrow minded? Trinity needs at least 145% range. Nothing more is needed unless the team is a bunch of garbage hallway heros (or for very specific game modes), though. OE is just dumb.

he was not use any range mods..........i dont know what build he was use... but not had any range lol