Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opticor vs Quanta

thatchimney

Question

So I have both guns, I enjoy both of them. Im stuck on which one I should continue with and forma even more b/c I have 2 in my Opticor and 1 in my Quanta (Vandal).

I would love some feedback on which is the better, in your opinion. If you could also provide the builds you use that would be much appreciated

16 answers to this question

Opticor is more of charge-time sniper with incidental area damage and huge single shot damage. Stupid ammo efficiency for being effectively a sniper.

Quanta is a super ammo efficient beam weapon with insane accuracy, good range, and no charge mechanic. It only gets ammo hungry when you go nuts with the alt fire and turn it into a more party friendly version of the simulor. Because good grief can you clear a room with a few presses of alt fire and then quick hit of the beam across the orbs.

For *general* use the Quanta is better though. Beam deals with null-bubbles a heck of a lot better than the Opticor. (Because snipers in general are hamstrung by the stupidity of the hits required to drop null-shield.)

I'll have to say Quanta. Quanta Vandal and Opticor are both my most used weapons, but Quanta Vandal is overall a bit more reliable. More time shooting stuff and less time reloading/charging. Destroys Nullifier bubbles. AoE options. Nice status chance without having to build for it

both are pretty good. the Quanta Vandal can clear rooms fairly well with the Alt Fire, and looks pretty cool as well. the Opticor is my preferred of the two, but you have to spend a lot of time charging shots and reloading, plus you need a little more accuracy with the Opticor. I would say Forma whichever you prefer.

on another note, I really want to see an Opticor Vandal. come on DE, you can do it...

Quanta Vandal is far more useful.

Honestly Opticor is kinda bad.

I have both weapons with 6-7 Forma in each and I hardly use Opticor, it's more of a novelty weapon and in terms of punching power Tigris Prime puts it to shame without charge time, better coverage, kill rates and better % time firing. Opticor takes 3-4 Headshots to down a lvl 140 Bombard unless you crit at 37% while Tirgris Prime one shots it after bleeds with a body shot.

Opticor is the perfect example of why Puncture / Impact damage suck. It needs to do at least twice the damage per shot.

Edited by Xzorn

29 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

Honestly Opticor is kinda bad.

I have both weapons with 6-7 Forma in each and I hardly use Opticor, it's more of a novelty weapon and in terms of punching power Tigris Prime puts it to shame without charge time, better coverage, kill rates and better % time firing. Opticor takes 3-4 Headshots to down a lvl 140 Bombard unless you crit at 37% while Tirgris Prime one shots it after bleeds with a body shot.

This is the same problem I have with the Opticor and the Lanka.  I might as well use the Daikyu instead and not have the reload.  Even better hitscan sniper rifle instead of the charge mechanic on a "gun".  I totally agree the Opticor is a novelty weapon. 

Spoiler

I've had some clannies ask why I dislike the Lanka and Opticor while liking bows.  My reply is that with bows I don't have to charge a shot and also reload after a few shots.

29 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

This is the same problem I have with the Opticor and the Lanka.  I might as well use the Daikyu instead and not have the reload.  Even better hitscan sniper rifle instead of the charge mechanic on a "gun".  I totally agree the Opticor is a novelty weapon. 

Hide contents

I've had some clannies ask why I dislike the Lanka and Opticor while liking bows.  My reply is that with bows I don't have to charge a shot and also reload after a few shots.

At least in the case of Lanka it has enough Status with innate punch-through to work with Gas procs well. I'm not sure what's wrong with the Opticor's AoE but it seems to not work pretty often.

I prefer Bows to Snipers as well. I don't like zooming when I don't have to. I'm much better at twitch shots over tracking shots as well so a bow just naturally functions better for me. My Hanzo KDA was top 9% but I hardly play Widow. I've just never been very good a scope tracking. Even for old school shooters I would use snipers like an assault rifle and never zoom.

The reload is just extra insult to the one kill out of 50 situation we often deal with in this game that makes single target lack luster to begin with.