Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What warframe should i make? Pls help

God0fW4r

Question

Both warframes are excellent, being able to perform many functions.

Oberon offers Healing, Damage and Crowd Control (CC) in one neat package.

Rhino has abilities for mobility, defense, damage buff and cc, and is a more newbie-friendly warframe in general. However, he is a bit on the slower side, and can promote the bad habit of face-tanking enemies all the time as Iron Skin is literal godmode in lower to mid-levels, but falls off quickly in higher levels.

I recommend getting Oberon first!

Edited by X3Evanescence

Rhino is what I consider a more new player friendly Warframe. His first ability functions similarly to Excaliburs, iron skin gives great protection from damage, roar is a damage buff, for instance. 

Spoiler

Oberon has more versatility in damage and healing, but for a new player still getting used to things, I would suggest Rhino.

Spoiler

All of the above points are valid, I'd say it comes down to your play style.  I love versatility and healing so out of the gate Oberon was my first choice. But most players would initially play more easily with Rhino. Plus neither frame has high or obscure resource costs so eventually you'll make each of them, and many others after. So it's no huge worry that you're making a mistake or anything.  

I will be honest Rhino was always there for me when I first started Warframe. He is very new player friendly and he can help you against even the toughest of enemies.

Oberon is fun to play with but it needs some skill to play him properly. If you want a really good healer frame, there is Trinity. Damage, your Excalibro. Oberon falls short with both damage and healing. Then again, you could try and get Syndicate mods to make Oberon worth playing with.

TLDR; Rhino is better for new players and people like to recruit Rhinos for their missions most of the time.

Actually, I'm going to give a bit of slightly different advice to many; Oberon is a fairly mid-range frame, it will teach you a lot about the possibilities of healing and buffing, with a decent range of abilities, while Rhino has a great balance of personal defense, team buffing and crowd control that will help you to clear out about 80% of the star chart when progressing through the game.

If I was to recommend which to get first? Definitely Oberon. Why? Because you can use him, level him up, and then get rid of him to free up a warframe slot. Oberon is so common once you get to the higher levels in the game that most players of Mastery 12 or higher could build eight of him right now with what they have collected in this last week alone.

Rhino, however, you will want to keep around until you've finished a few quests, found what play style you actually prefer, experienced more of what the game has to offer, and found that one frame that speaks to you.

If ever there is a choice between a frame that has long-term benefits for your game progression (Rhino, Loki, Nekros) and a frame that you think is interesting (Atlas, Zephyr, Limbo), pick the interesting one first, level it, see if you actually like it, and then if you don't, get rid of it in favour of the one you know is going to be more useful overall.

Much like weapons; grab everything that's cheap and easy to build (especially the ones you can outright buy for credits, like the Mk1 variants), level them all and push them out the door again so that you can then get and keep hold of the better ones, like the Boltor, Soma and Hek.

Oberon is my favorite warframe, by far, so I recommend him, of course. One big, useful thing he has over Rhino is self healing, which is borderline necessary when you have no other methods of doing so. (Also, it's not required, and I know it's a little off topic, but I highly recommend getting Rage. You probably have to buy it, but I consider it one of the best mods in the game, especially for Oberon.)

2 minutes ago, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

Rhino should be the first frame everyone makes, period.

Valkyr was my first, and I never made Rhino. I had no issues in the star chart, barring one excavation mission. The only reason why I'd ever recommend him is because he works for a lot of players. I can't go against that, but I think there are better options.

I was put in a very similar situation, if not exact. I had a choose between Oberon and Rhino as my first Warframe. I made Oberon and instantly regretted it. 

Considering you're a new player, you're still getting the "hang" of the game. Oberon has good CC and healing capabilities while Rhino is just good for no dying. With that being said, one would assume that you're restricted from making both due to Credits and Resources. With Rhino and his abilities that deal good DPS and provide good anti-death, he can use that to also farm those resources for Oberon. 

So Rhino should be a given, not to mention he's good even late game while Oberon (Depending on the player) isn't the greatest. 

Edited by Polythyrix
Added Personal Experience

17 minutes ago, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

Then you don't have room to comment.

He is the best for the first frame, because he is great for solo, especially for new players that are lacking in mods and endo.

I have done extensive testing with Oberon for players with even limited sets of mods. I could actually made a really in-depth guide on Oberon, including everything a new player would need to clear the star chart with him. In fact, I gave 2 players that info, which has gotten them quite far. With that said, I can guarantee Oberon is a great choice, and that's that.

15 minutes ago, Polythyrix said:

So Rhino should be a given, not to mention he's good even late game while Oberon (Depending on the player) isn't the greatest. 

They both depend on the player.

Edited by (PS4)Darth-Escar

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Darth-Escar said:

I have done extensive testing with Oberon for players with even limited sets of mods. I could actually made a really in-depth guide on Oberon, including everything a new player would need to clear the star chart with him. In fact, I gave 2 players that info, which has gotten them quite far. With that said, I can guarantee Oberon is a great choice, and that's that.

They both depend on the player.

Oberon is just bad, at endgame levels. Rhino is great in starmap because of iron skin, then at endgame levels you can swap over to a CC focus.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

Oberon is just bad, at endgame levels. Rhino is great in starmap because of iron skin, then at endgame levels you can swap over to a CC focus.

No. My testing has been really extensive. Feel free to meet me in-game for demonstrations! Oberon expert, Darth-Escar, at your service!

17 hours ago, (PS4)Darth-Escar said:

People don't know how to use him. I'm willing to teach, and already get plenty of PMs with questions. I think I can change most people's minds if they think he's bad.

You should make a video showing and explaining build and how to use for Oberon.  Or even post a thread explaining it.  In sure a few people might be interested in a how to for that frame.