Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Antimatter Frame Name] As A Council Member, I'd Like To Apologise

Asagiri

I didn't, believe me. But given that these decisions are being made, it'd appear that your good self and those who do care about quality design are in the minority.

I will be honest: I stopped paying much attention to the DC myself. Yet, I attempt to work different angles. Sometimes, you need to let a sheep die in the night to prove there's a wolf.

I didn't, believe me. But given that these decisions are being made, it'd appear that your good self and those who do care about quality design are in the minority.

The problem is that the founders packs, by their very nature, are the best way to get platinum (without a discount on normal packages). This makes people go for the FPs more often and the Council to them is just a small feature. They will still use their power to vote, just with less care than people who bought the packs for the specific reason of the Council.

To avoid this problem the council should've been a seprate feature. That way there's no additional (and more important to some) parts.

Edit: The two major reasons I purchased the Master option was to fund this game and the Council. I rarely ever buy these kind of things because the majority of games I have played felt like they had less potential.

Edited by Reduxe

It's kind of odd: people voted for the most generic skills posible, and the name selection is a bit dry to say the least.

DE should have really culled the more pointless parts of the voting process and given us the frame they wanted to make. I gave them cash to support a game I enjoy, not so I could hamstring thier design process.

I really don't get why people think Nova is so bad. Out of all the names there Nova was the only one that actually seemed like a name of a character/person to me. Null is a term. Cerna makes me think of particle physics but isn't attractive as a name. I think people are just pissed off that the DC got to use the power we paid for. The frame will have as much coherence as Vauban or Mag in terms of the abilities. Picking apart every ability and saying "Well that has nothing to do with the theme!" doesn't make any sense. How the hell does Volt, an electric themed frame, put up a shield? That doesn't fit the theme of electricity in any way except it converts a portion of your damage to electric damage.

The synergy of the frame depends totally on DE, not on what the DC voted on. While the DC helped choose which ideas to flesh out DE chose which ones we would vote on so all of them fit the theme in some fashion according to DE. If you want to pick stuff apart because the name does not fit into the antimatter theme then I'm afraid you missed the idea of this whole event. We want a frame that's fun, not a frame that threw out all the fun stuff because 'It has nothing to do with antimatter."

*snip* I think people are just &!$$ed off that the DC got to use the power we paid for.  *snip*

You're wrong here, sir. People are pissed off because you used your power for evil. I think the real issue here is that everyone was pretty positive about it, even those not in the DC.

"Players get to design a frame? Awesome. Even if I'm not one of them, that's really cool"

Then:

"That's what they used that great thing to do? Oh, god."

How about renaming them all? Excalibur #1, Excalibur #2, Excalibur #3 and so on.

That's not antimatter themed, get out. We want names like Postiron, Antineutron, Cerna, Derpa-Diraca or something else that doesn't sound namey.

ITT: I'm mad because you don't like what I like and I'm double mad I don't have the disposable income to have voted, and I know this frame is going to be a complete failure already! I don't think Nova and some of the abilities are the best either but the majority did so deal with it. In the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger, STOP WHINING!

At least it was a successful experiment.

We now know why nobody has ever done something like this, because it can become pretty darn stupid.

There was a plenty wrong with the execution. I feel it could still work in the future if the entire process is refined a bit more and people get over the whole elitist/entitlement issue we seem to be having.

Things just weren't structured or filtered almost at all. There was little to no criteria and direction put in place for any of our suggestions, just simply "we need powers, go! submit!" "ok now names, go!"

Granted, having antimatter as a theme for the first (and maybe the only design council warframe) is pretty horrible in itself. Maybe with a simpler and more straightforward theme this could have gone better but more than likely it would have resulted in equal amounts of whining and complaining. Antimatter theme just set it up for failure in terms of "making sense", not that it has to since it's a sci-fi game but still. It has to be somewhat plausible.

Here's to hoping the next time something like this is done the process will be more refined (and hopefully there will be more interaction from the developers beyond "OK WE NEED NAME GO").

ITT: I'm mad because you don't like what I like and I'm double mad I don't have the disposable income to have voted, and I know this frame is going to be a complete failure already! I don't think Nova and some of the abilities are the best either but the majority did so deal with it. In the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger, STOP WHINING!

Contains some strong language, youtube video ;]

Edited by Seraphyx

It wasn't majority in any case. the votes were so split across so many options, a third of the DC won the votes.

This argument upsets me (not yours, the one you're responding too).

Not knowing about science is legitimate. Not caring about science is stupid, but legitimate. However, making a frame built around a scientific principle and only then claiming to not care about it is indefensible. Had this been that stupid "necro" frame, I wouldn't care. Call it what you will. It's not a real thing and exists entirely in the world of fiction, and thus is liable to interpretation and imagination. But the Council chose to base their frame around a real science and should thus respect it throughout the design process, so as to avoid exactly this,.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! You made me cry on this one.

Council chose sounding word construct, thats it.

Because as it appeared - most of those who chose antimatter thought for gravity\interdimensional stuff, not about concept of participles with different charge.

It wasn't majority in any case. the votes were so split across so many options, a third of the DC won the votes.

Thats what called MAJORITY in votes ffs.

Over 50% is called OVERWHELMING majority, make your facts straight.

There was no overwhelming majority on any of those votes. And if you demand such thing to be legitimate - theh they should run a few rounds of votes,. discarding least popular options each time. And also we should have a dedicated team of no-lifers who will advertise their favourite option among normal people.

Because participating in a fun event for DC is "SRS FUKING BUSINESS!!!!!111" isnt it? WHy people just freaking cant accept lose with grace? Why whining and nit-picking in areas that were perfectly fine before (Polls in votes on forums ALWAYS work that way - the option with most votes win, doesnt matter if its over 50% or not).

Edited by derclaw

There was a plenty wrong with the execution. I feel it could still work in the future if the entire process is refined a bit more and people get over the whole elitist/entitlement issue we seem to be having.

Things just weren't structured or filtered almost at all. There was little to no criteria and direction put in place for any of our suggestions, just simply "we need powers, go! submit!" "ok now names, go!"

Granted, having antimatter as a theme for the first (and maybe the only design council warframe) is pretty horrible in itself. Maybe with a simpler and more straightforward theme this could have gone better but more than likely it would have resulted in equal amounts of whining and complaining. Antimatter theme just set it up for failure in terms of "making sense", not that it has to since it's a sci-fi game but still. It has to be somewhat plausible.

Here's to hoping the next time something like this is done the process will be more refined (and hopefully there will be more interaction from the developers beyond "OK WE NEED NAME GO").

Well, yes. It obviously CAN work. So can world peace, but it hasn't worked so far.

Do you have any examples for what would you like beyond "NEED NAMES GO!"? What kind of instructions and / or structure would've helped this project?

If anything, DE should do much more softcore and simply FRIENDLY participation, than throw something as serious as this in the hands of random people.

What I mean by this is:

"So, we have some ideas for future Warframes. We may end up doing them all at some point, but tell us what you love the most and we'll work on it first.

Choose: A, B, C, D."

And this can easily go much deeper and much safer:

"So, Mynki is having a hard time deciding between THESE Cylinders and THESE Octagons. What do you think, Design council?"

These things happen in design sometimes. DE doesn't have to go out of their way to have the Design Council give them truthful, solid feedback, and still participate without having a massive responsibility that ends with failure.

Basically what I'm saying is - a reversed process.

In this attempt, Council came up with the names and DE chose the few they found popular.

What could've been much more safer and still just as IMPORTANT, is that DE would use names that they all LIKE and all accept as good options for the Warframe, But they just wouldn't know which one the Community prefers.

This would be a really good opportunity to simply present all of their ideas to the Design Council, and even say things like:

"In the office, we really loved Option C... but the issues with it are _____. Additionally, D is the least voted option in the office, but we still find it acceptable for the Warframe if you seem to truly love it."

This is an honest, open structure that doesn't really alter DE's exceptional work while still allowing players to make extremely important decisions.

Edited by Feam

Pathetic. Just because your choice is not there you dont have to cry about it like a baby. They have their reasons, the name YOU suggested was copyrighted, and the greek name was also trade marked by another game they could not use. and the name Null in my opinion is a dumb name since it is the same as HER FIRST POWER!! Null Stars! so why dont you grow up please.

Pathetic. Just because your choice is not there you dont have to cry about it like a baby. They have their reasons, the name YOU suggested was copyrighted, and the greek name was also trade marked by another game they could not use. and the name Null in my opinion is a dumb name since it is the same as HER FIRST POWER!! Null Stars! so why dont you grow up please.

You can't trademark the name of a mythological being... What kind of logic..