Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A good Warframe suited for Defense missions ?

SenOwens

Question

Hi,

Still new to Warframe, I have 120 hours in the game and I just unlocked Pluto, I started with Volt and now I play Rhino. Mastery Rank 5, almost 6.

I'm looking for some mods that are rewarded in Defense missions, so I'd like to farm these but I'm having a terrible time with Rhino because while I can't die, I can't protect the objective efficiently if I don't get enough Energy Orbs to use Rhino's Stomp whenever there are troubles. Volt actually wasn't too bad for Defense but I'd like to play something else for now.

So basically I'm looking for some specific warframes that are able to protect the objective on Defense missions (without having tons of mods), solo, for 20 waves. It seems like Frost is pretty good at that and I might end up playing it, but I don't find its design very appealing so I was wondering if there were any other good alternative warframes for this.

Thx

20 answers to this question

Frost is usually the first go to choice for defense due to his Globe ability which casts a giant sphere of ice to protect an area thats been cast in.

Alternatively, you can get Loki, his radial disarm can remove all enemies weapons from them, additionally with irradiating disarm augment for loki, you can cause enemies to temporarily hit eachother. So theres that.

Banshee - because Sound Quake (work best with augment mod)

Chroma - because Effigy

Ember - because World On Fire (work best with augment mod)

Equinox - because Mend & Maim

Frost - because Snow Globe (work best with augment mod) and Avalanche

Limbo - because Cataclysm

Nekros - because  Terrify and  Shadows of the Dead (work best with augment mod)

Nova - because Molecular Prime

Nyx - because Chaos and  Absorb (work best with augment mod)

Saryn - because all four skills actually

Vauban - because Bastille (work best with augment mod)

Edited by THeMooN85

Nova, Nyx and Vauban would be other options because of their massive CC. Or you could build a Firequake Ember (augment for her ult), which knocks enemies down. Or if you wanna try the least used frames, Limbo and Zephyr can defend objectives quite good with Cataclysm/Turbulence respectively.

But yes, Frost is the king of Defense, not only can he just cast a globe to prevent damage, he can also freeze enemies with his ult and reduce their armor or just straight up kill them.

I would say the ultimate defense team that'll have almost no way of losing the objective would be:

Frost with freezing globe augment.

Ember with max range and firequake.

Vauban with high range and repelling bastille.

Last one could be a DD, but I would take one of these:

Nyx to make everything fight each other, and to MC the big guys.

Nova for molecular prime amazingness.

Nekros for extra loot and if built for shield of shadows you'll have lots of targets up for anything that m ight possibly have a chance of getting through to be preoccupied.

I mean, this is a tad overkill but yeah you get the point.

Build volt for range and efficiency and spam his ult, but yea, frost has the best power efficiency for the job

Any frame with Cc capabilitys goes tho

I can personally recommend necros as only Cc frame that is able to substain himself on the basic frame. "All you need" is equilibrium, basic range mods, some strength, duration Despoil, his desecrate augument and ideally "creeping terrify", his terrify augument.

Kill enemys, reap the bonus loot as you loose health instead of energy on desecrate, collect energy and health orbs which both give energy and health back trough equilibrium and keep enemys with terrify and your shadows at bay. VERY effective.

Volt is able to reap energy as he gets damaged with "rage", combine this with (prime) flow and "quick thinking" and he becomes a decent, self substaining energy tank as well....thing is basic volts armor is quite low so this definitly works best with his prime variant.

Lol Ive been playing for atleast 4 months, I'm mastery 12 (almost 13), and have 1693+ hours ingame. :P Btw good mods for a good rhino defense build.

Basically use the following: Vitality (Longer Survivability against Poisoned proc initiated by enemies), Intensify(maxed) for when your damage dealing abilities become priority to be used.

Then make sure you have a maxed out Flow for power/energy, Maxed Streamline for Power Efficiency (Reduces Ability energy cost), My reason for no redirection is just because, well, it's not as essential as Vitality, sure you may use it, but if your going against Infested Ancients, they can unleash intoxicating effects which completely ignore your shield and armor stats as a whole.

The rest is your choice, but be diligent depending on the game mode. :)

PS: To ensure your Warframe is at it's maximum potential you could add a potato (Orokin Reactor), thus you will have double the mod capacity as when your maxed out Warframe did NOT have a potato installed. < That's for those who are "newer".

Edited by Starscope5

3 hours ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

Build volt for range and efficiency and spam his ult, but yea, frost has the best power efficiency for the job

Any frame with Cc capabilitys goes tho

I can personally recommend necros as only Cc frame that is able to substain himself on the basic frame. "All you need" is equilibrium, basic range mods, some strength, duration Despoil, his desecrate augument and ideally "creeping terrify", his terrify augument.

Kill enemys, reap the bonus loot as you loose health instead of energy on desecrate, collect energy and health orbs which both give energy and health back trough equilibrium and keep enemys with terrify and your shadows at bay. VERY effective.

Volt is able to reap energy as he gets damaged with "rage", combine this with (prime) flow and "quick thinking" and he becomes a decent, self substaining energy tank as well....thing is basic volts armor is quite low so this definitly works best with his prime variant.

Bro I've been told Nekros's Desecrate is a toggle now. Do you know if that's true?

7 hours ago, SenOwens said:

/snip/...
It seems like Frost is pretty good at that and I might end up playing it, but I don't find its design very appealing so I was wondering if there were any other good alternative warframes for this.

Thx

Hello Tenno,

IF Frost doesn't really appeal there are 2 solid Frames I'd highly recommend checking out then.

Vauban and Volt.

Vauban can cast his nets far and wide and use his Repelling Bastille augment to pick up the slack. You can also gather mobs into a tightly clustered meatball with his Vortex.

Got something naughty like an Ancient Healer in that meatball? Toss a Radiation grenade into the mixer then (Concuss/Minelayer).  

Volt can whip up 6 Electric Shields that will block incoming enemy shooting and boost his own outgoing. You can pick up one of those shields and do a sort of "steam-roller" action and barge over a bunch of enemies, say if there's a line of melee types heading your way.  

Volt also has a few CC options as well: Shock, Shocking Speed (Speed augment mod), and Discharge

Not as long term CC options that Vauban has but they're still pretty handy, even if just to toss out a Shock while you're reloading your weapon. 

Those are the 2 main Defense Alternatives to Frost  that come to mind.

2 other good options I can think of are Nyx and Nekros.

Nyx by turning all the enemies against each other with Chaos.

Nekros can use his Terrify to tell a group of mobs to bugger off and summon his own group of mobs with Shadows of the Dead. If you want to Solo Defense with him then I'd highly recommend going the path of Shield of Shadows build. Bonus points to Nekros in that IMO Soul Punching things is really fun!

If you're able, I'd highly recommend building and playing each of them and see which one appeals to you the most. 

Cheers!
~R~

5 minutes ago, Rolunde said:

Hello Tenno,

IF Frost doesn't really appeal there are 2 solid Frames I'd highly recommend checking out then.

Vauban and Volt.

Vauban can cast his nets far and wide and use his Repelling Bastille augment to pick up the slack. You can also gather mobs into a tightly clustered meatball with his Vortex.

Got something naughty like an Ancient Healer in that meatball? Toss a Radiation grenade into the mixer then (Concuss/Minelayer).  

Volt can whip up 6 Electric Shields that will block incoming enemy shooting and boost his own outgoing. You can pick up one of those shields and do a sort of "steam-roller" action and barge over a bunch of enemies, say if there's a line of melee types heading your way.  

Volt also has a few CC options as well: Shock, Shocking Speed (Speed augment mod), and Discharge

Not as long term CC options that Vauban has but they're still pretty handy, even if just to toss out a Shock while you're reloading your weapon. 

Those are the 2 main Defense Alternatives to Frost  that come to mind.

2 other good options I can think of are Nyx and Nekros.

Nyx by turning all the enemies against each other with Chaos.

Nekros can use his Terrify to tell a group of mobs to bugger off and summon his own group of mobs with Shadows of the Dead. If you want to Solo Defense with him then I'd highly recommend going the path of Shield of Shadows build. Bonus points to Nekros in that IMO Soul Punching things is really fun!

If you're able, I'd highly recommend building and playing each of them and see which one appeals to you the most. 

Cheers!
~R~

Bro Vauban is like a Defense, Excavation, goddess, He runs in the battle and sets up those bastilles and and you can kinda chill out and kill the enemies that are helplessly floating in air, personally I find Mesa to be a really fun frame for things like defense and stuff. But that's just me.

And Nyx is a definately, if you get the augment mod for her 4th and mod that for damage and range, she works out pretty well for me.

Edited by Starscope5

Yeah, between Vauban and Volt, although I really like Volt I'd rank Vauban over him when it comes to Defense. 

IMO Vauban's like Frost's "fraternal twin" when it comes to being "King of Defense" (and Excavations. And imo he's a better choice for Interceptions).

Also good call on Mesa, I didn't even think about her.

Locking down enemies and shooting them to bits is a pretty good way to protect an objective, haha

10 hours ago, Starscope5 said:

Bro I've been told Nekros's Desecrate is a toggle now. Do you know if that's true?

It is, but don't get your hopes up, the effectivity got reduced. (To 50%, one try) He got pushed out of that farming frame nieche but ya know, that's enough to substain yourself...

The shadows also got rebalanced what made over the top shadow builds less effective, but balanced builds profit more now and those, Blanced/CC builds, are exactly what i'd recommend. Those are outa this world!

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

Since u have Pluto atm that means that u can open Eris Junction which means soon u'll be abble to farm ur Mesa cuz of quest for her is going to be the reward for the same junction. So go for Mesa, 30% str (intensify max rank, transient fortitude< u are gonna need it cuz of overextended), duration (continuity, narrow minded), eff (fleeting exp r4 if i'm not wrong, streamline), range(Overextended, strech) and with this build u'll be abble to cc everything and ofc peacemaker all day all night. Cheers and gl

Edited by -VM-Pavlaka

9 hours ago, (Xbox One)poodlebingo 65 said:

Oberon with Reckoning built for Range and Efficiency. Just soloing level 15-20 Defense with no problems. Also, Reckoning will drop the occasional Health Sphere as a bonus.

Now you just need to try soloing the Endgame Void Survivals. :)