Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Archive] Of Ash And Fire - Original Thread

SirNerdsAlot5

Stalker=StalkerS, there are multiple (persay) "rogue" Tenno.  Straight from the lovely codex text.

Anyway, here's a bit from skirata's past.

Left jab - deflect, right hook - dodge, elbow thrust - side step, spin hook kick - roll into the incoming round house and double arm block.  Each contact of body parts was accompanied by appropriate thuds revealing the power behind each blow received.

“Another.”

At the command, another shape emerged from the surrounding shadow, directly behind the defender and only the slightest of shuffles could have been heard as their attacks began.  Jab - jab - knee - hook - kick - grab - toe stomp - back fist - hammer kick, the fury of attacks came relentlessly.  The one between them was trying to keep ahead of each move, dodge - deflect - slideout - hit - deflect - sidestep - hit.  Every few steps a blow landed, but neither party paused a beat.

The defender spun out from between them.  They closed in without hesitation.  The right aggressor, the first, led with a right foot spear kick.  The defender spun to the outside of the kicker’s leg, which is the right reaction when fighting a single opponent.  The defender may have realised their mistake, but it did not matter as they were now dealing with the second attacker’s strikes.  Being too occupied, the defender did not see the kidney punch from the first.  As defender flinched, the second stepped in closer, seizing defender’s throat, pinching nerves and carotid arteries while forcing the defender down.

Defender’s next move was instant - and needed to be. As the first went to finish the fight, the defender brought their stiff hands down into the choker’s inner elbows, collapsing both of second’s arms.  Defender now jumped up, kicked his feet out behind him, using first’s chest to spring off of and over second’s head.  Second’s wrists were now locked in defender’s rotating grasp as the latter flipped over second’s head.  Defender shifted to the side, crossed the attacker’s arms and forced the attacker to follow his locked arms in a flip to keep from breaking both of their arms.  Second landed at first’s feet, who proceeded to help him rise.

“Another.”

A shadow emerged flying toward the heavily breathing defender, leg extended and aimed at their head.  Defender simply fell into a side roll under the newest assailant.  As they rose, the other two were already on top of the out numbered defender.  Punches, kicks, thrusts, strikes, grabs and thrown from feet to floor over and over again until defender was at the edge of the only light in the room.  Bruised and choking on their own breath, they tried to defend the final onslaught from the three attackers.

Finally, just as defender was beginning to black out from the chokehold they could not evade, a sharp rap of metal on metal sounded and the red faced trainee fell forward from the released hold.

“You need to be more aware of your positioning.  Before, during, and after everything you do must be carefully timed and guarded lest your movements be predicted and countered.  You passed, but did not live.”

The apprentice stood from where they sat, and turned to their left, and bowed formally.

“You will face an additional two opponents in your next trial, dismissed.”

The battered figure limped into the outer darkness of the room, their Warframe consuming their body as they faded to shadow.

“Next, Skirata!”

“Sir!”  The answer came from another Tenno who leaped out of the blackness and stood at attention facing the same direction as his precedent did when bowing.  This one was fresh, not yet injured or sweaty, but definitely weary.  His Warframe already minimized, he awaited for the next signal.

The room was dead silent, the only movement could barely be seen from Skirata as he waited in the center of the circular room and lit arena that he was confined to.  Arms at his sides, his muscles flinched in anticipation.  He could feel his heart beating now, the life sustaining liquid being pulsed through his veins and arteries as he stood patiently for the trial.  His chest rose and fell steadily, his breathing now the loudest thing in the room.

Bang!  The usual metal rap spread throughout the air like a Lato discharge, nearly obscuring the shuffle behind and to Skirata’s right.  He whipped around, left foot forward and arms up shoulder and head height as the first fell upon him.

haidufaspdivnapsdigt
Edited by BRad_Skirata

Another chapter from Aiden's backstory. Its based on a time earlier than that of the last two chapters. I decided to try writing in first person for this one, just to get an understanding of how different things can get when I change perspective. Let me know what you think.

Finding a Home

“I can't believe it,” exclaimed Cathy, running ahead of me. Grinning, I jogged behind her, enjoying the feel of the breeze on my face. The air felt fresh, pure, free from influence. The small meadow we were in was truly breathtaking in itself. Tall trees lined its edges and a large knoll dominated our view. The grass grew thick and wild.

She stopped at the top of the hill, just looking out into the remains of the abandoned city. I soaked in the view myself.

Chernobyl.

Paradise.

“Hell of a view,” she exclaimed, still enraptured by the serenity that this place created.

“Yeah,” I said. “Isolation from us does wonders.”

She nodded. “That's how it should be. Nearly half a millennium since humans left this place.”

I sat down, stretching my legs and facing the city. She sat down next to me, still gawking.

“You'd better keep your mouth closed. A fly might decide to live in your throat,” I teased.

She stuck her tongue out at me, but relented. “So, why did you bring me out here?” she asked.

I shrugged. “The people in town told me about this place when I asked for some interesting spots. So I thought, Hey! Why not bring Cathy along? She would like this!”

“You know me well then. I love this place.”

I grinned. “I'd be surprised if you didn't.”

We just sat there in silence for a few minutes. No gunshots, no terrorists, no war. Just me and her, enjoying the peace of the evening. I don't know when it happened, but I ended up placing my hand over hers. She seemed to tense up, but I pulled my hand away before things got worse.

“Sorry” I muttered.

She sighed. “It's okay.” Her worried look got replaced with a cheeky one. “So Mr. Aiden. Would you call this a date?”

Sh!t. “Uh...I...I er-don't know. I...I don't know.” She laughed at my flustered attempt to unravel my tongue. A date?

“Relax. I'm just teasing.”

I sighed. Disaster averted. Time to change the topic. “So, what are your thoughts on the mission?”

She leaned back and looked straight up at the darkening sky. “As a squad, we're good. Lily seems to be working quite well with the both of you, considering how many times she's tried hitting on you and Damien. I'm just trying to wrap my head around why Richardson wants to release the T-cyte here. Doesn't he understand that he's condemning the planet?”

“I wish I could answer that. All I know is that he's extremely delusional, with some intense hatred for the Orokin.”

“Past conflicts maybe.”

“Yeah. I just wish he'd try to understand the magnitude of the power he's waving around. T-cyte is the worst thing that could happen to this planet. The absolute worst.” I let a bit of anger seep into my tone.

Cathy looked sad. “If we fail...this place will be lost.”

I grimaced. “Pessimism isn't going to help us out. But I guess it does help if we know what's at stake.”

She stayed silent for a while, and so did I. The sun began to set as we remained lost in our thoughts. After what felt like hours, Cathy began to talk.

“Aiden.”

“Hm?”

“Have you ever thought about dying?”

“What do you mean?”

“Dying,” she repeated, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. “How do you imagine yourself going? When? Where? Stuff like that.”

I sat back up and peered at the silhouette of the abandoned city the humans called Pripyat. “Ideally, I imagine myself going out in the heat of battle, taking down as many sons of *@##$es as I can. At least then I'd know it would be worth it.”

She looked worried. Wrong answer, I guess. “But, to be completely honest, I wan to live.” That seemed to bring a spark back into her eyes. “Live till I get old, the thoughts of war and death all but distant memories. Maybe in a place like this: far from the bullsh!t and politics that will inevitably screw us over.”

She smiled. “This would be a great place to live in. I'd be glad to call it home too.”

“So, Miss Cathy. After our war with the Sentients, will it be safe to assume that we'll find you here, living in some tree with squirrels?”

She laughed. “Considering me, probably yes.” I grinned. “Home,” she said.

“A place to fight for.” The word sounded right to me. Home.

“Yeah. Which means that we need to kick that bastard's face to save our home.”

I placed a hand on my friend's shoulder. “We will. After all, who can take the mighty Silver Fang down?” I ask with a cocky smile.

“That's true. The four of us are just a bit too strong.”

“I was going to say that you were the epitome of modesty. But in this case, you're right. We kick &#!.”

She laughed. “That we do. C'mon. Let's get back to the town. Irene promised me that she was going to ask her father to prepare a feast for us.”

“Food huh? Now I know why you're in a hurry.”

She looked away sheepishly. “It's not that. I just don't want to seem rude to them!”

I laughed. “Sure, sure. Whatever makes you happy.”

She trudged down the hillock slowly. “Besides, its not just food that I love.”

Wait...what does she mean by that? Does she mean...?

Shut up, Aiden. Stop trying to over-analyze things!

“So Cathy, apart from gorging on the free food, what else do you plan on doing when you get back to town?” I ask, curious if I'd be able to spend some more time with her. The shuttles would arrive on the day after tomorrow, so I want to spend as much time with her as possible.

“Probably sleep.” she said, which killed all my dreams instantly. “After all, I don't think we're going to be able to sleep much in the next few days.”

“I guess you're right,” I grumble, failing to keep the tone of disappointment completely hidden.

“I always am,” she said with a cheeky grin as she hopped over a fallen log. “You're the muscle, Lily's the pervert,and Damien's the moody silent killer.”

“And what about you?” I ask, playing along with her.

“Oh, I'm the brains of course. And the elegance, and the grace, and the coolest-”

“And the one with the biggest head.” I finished, openly jabbing at her. She responded by sticking her tongue out again.

“So eat and sleep. That's my plan. What about you?”

I honestly didn't know now. I was trying to find a few ways to spend time with her, but now that it wasn't going to be possible, I had no clue. “Maybe clean and fix my gun,” I said. That seems quite plausible, I thought. After all, I didn't get a chance to work on my weapons after the last fight.

“Ah,” she said. Did I just hear her sound disappointed? “So its just relaxation then? That sounds good actually, provided Lily doesn't try and hit on someone at town,” Cathy said with a giggle.

“That's likely. I guess I'll take it upon myself to reel her in when the poor guy rejects her and breaks her heart yet again.”

She laughed loudly. “Do that. We don't want to leave this place running.”

“No we don't.”

We saw the lights of the town ahead of us. We would be there in a few minutes. We travelled the rest of the way in silence. The six years of being separated really drove a wedge into what Cathy and I could talk about.

She's a different person to me now, and I might be different to her. I hate this rift.

We greeted all the little children that ran up to us. We must look like aliens to them, I thought, seeing that we both were wearing our undersuits. The metallic clothing didn't exactly fit in anywhere.

We smiled at each other once in a while, and I felt like she was trying to say something to me each time. Whatever it maybe will have to wait for tomorrow, I thought dejectedly as we reached the small cabin that Cathy and Lily slept in. Damien and I were given a small bunkhouse at the end of the street. It was small and cramped, but that was because I'm a giant myself.

“I'll see you tomorrow,” said Cathy. “Good night!”

“Night,” I said, waiting for a moment as she walked in and closed the door behind her. I turned around and walked down the road, soaking in the moonlight and the chill that accompanied the lull of darkness.

I guess I'll have to try again later. I turned around to look at the cabin once again, and for a split second I thought I saw a silhouette looking out of the moonlit window. But there was nothing there.

Wow, Aiden. You really are hopeless. Seeing things you want to see.

I chuckled. Obix would call me crazy if he heard me talking with the voices in my head. Silly me, I thought, imagining that she was by the window. It was just a hallucination.

I reached the bunkhouse. Walking in and closing the door, I smiled.

Or was it?

Edited by bejuizb

Guys, I just have to say I'm sorry. I seriously tried to keep this up, but the demands of life, madness, and legal education are simply enormous. I go home far too exhausted to think of writing stories, and even then I probably had much more work left over. I barely wrote anything this year that had nothing to do with law in some way - though I did take up poetry, finding that short poems can be satisfying to make. Well, it's summer break where I'm am, and I'll be damned if I don't write anything else. Unfortunately, since I seem to have skipped hundreds of pages since I was last here, I don't think it'll be that easy to use existing characters; I will therefore now - at least temporarily - retire Ty and Lucid. Harahel was never much of a public figure, and we can all pretend he's hiding in a closet somewhere, growing mushrooms and potatoes out of soil and loneliness.

The data drive arrived in an ordinary polymer box. The box was unmarked, the disk standard, and the package had been sent through the ordinary channels of delivery. All in all, it was not a very eye-catching object, and it might have gone completely unnoticed had the agent in charge of Aequitas' customs not been bored that day.

Said agent had been staring all day into his feeds, waiting for his punishment shift to end. Customs was not a job a mighty warrior such as a Tenno would voluntarily agree to, and thus the position was often filled with those who were not very good at following rules and codes. Aequitas had never been in short supply. This agent swore up and down that he had not intended to cause a cryogenic meltdown; he had simply confused the thermal core and the general thermostat. His superiors were not amused.

And so, in the course of his punishment, he'd learned to find his entertainment where he could. He found it very difficult to suppress his mirth when he saw the things his fellows were having delivered. Anger management holo's, ballerina costumes, and the occasional baby Skate. As he read on to find another one, he saw:

"One (1) data drive, to suite number 74E."

74? Those were Council member suites. He brought up a list of Councillors and scrolled down to see who it was. He grew still. Was it an accident? A mistake, maybe? For 74E was said to not have been occupied in over a year; it seemed no one had wanted to move in. It was still registered under the name of its last occupant.

Tyranthius.

He pressed a button, opening a comm. link to a superior officer, any superior officer. "Uhh...guys? You might want to take a look at this."

More later. And just for fun, which one of you responds to the unnamed customs agent? Provide Warframe, name, and a link to one of their stories might be helpful.

And old faces return with teases... oooo goody.

Sorry for my general silence in recent times; we've hit April/May, which for someone on an engineering course at Uni means...

ASSIGNMENTS. MORE. NOW EXAMS!

my keyboard despises me, and I've barely played more than a couple of hours of games in the past week.

I do plan on making a return to both here & gaming/fanfiction in general. especially with a certain update soon. But first I must finish these lab reports & aircraft case studies.

Back SOOOOoooooonnn....

Quick update: My story is closing in on two thirds of the way done, so hopefully it will be out by the end of April. :P

Eager to read it.

And old faces return with teases... oooo goody.

Sorry for my general silence in recent times; we've hit April/May, which for someone on an engineering course at Uni means...

ASSIGNMENTS. MORE. NOW EXAMS!

my keyboard despises me, and I've barely played more than a couple of hours of games in the past week.

I do plan on making a return to both here & gaming/fanfiction in general. especially with a certain update soon. But first I must finish these lab reports & aircraft case studies.

Back SOOOOoooooonnn....

Good luck man. I personally am fed up with school, so I just write first, worry about school later. But that's just me :D

Edited by bejuizb

I'm stuck this holidays revising for GCSEs, big exams. I am chained to the kitchen table.

So boring -_-

soooo, WRITE! andmakesomethingexciting! :D

I personally am fed up with school, so I just write first, worry about school later. But that's just me :D

This here is my approach with Work vs. Videogames.

My apologies, but I JUST got home from Texas just over an hour ago. It was an all day drive until 10pm yesterday, then we woke up at 6am my time to be driving by 8am, and didn't get home until around 7pm today. I spent most of those two days feeling nauseous and living on Pepto-bismol and Tums to survive the drive. Feedback will be slow, but I will try to get to it as soon I can.

My apologies also if I'm short tempered and in general a little snappish. I'm just now feeling something close to normal. *crawls off to mope in her pillow fort*

My apologies, but I JUST got home from Texas just over an hour ago. It was an all day drive until 10pm yesterday, then we woke up at 6am my time to be driving by 8am, and didn't get home until around 7pm today. I spent most of those two days feeling nauseous and living on Pepto-bismol and Tums to survive the drive. Feedback will be slow, but I will try to get to it as soon I can.

My apologies also if I'm short tempered and in general a little snappish. I'm just now feeling something close to normal. *crawls off to mope in her pillow fort*

No worries Jea. If you want to rest first, go and do that. I'm about to go to sleep myself.

The day had been a special day. It had left Kris in a good mood as he walked around the dojo once more, using his hand drawn map to a great effect. The doctors had felt he needed to socialize and wander the dojo for a while, hence why he was walking free at this moment. Why was his mood so good, one might ask. Well, Kris was expecting his new 'frame to be delivered in a few days along several weapons he had picked out. He had found his old notebook with his hand drawn map of the dojo and he had been let out of isolation. His mood could not be darkend by anything at this point.

After hours of wandering, Kris ended up in one of the best rooms in his mind. The floor was a pond with stepping stones making a path to each door of the 4 door room. A few lilypads were spread over the water and fishes could be seen swimming around the stepping stones and lilypads. He sat down on one of the rocks, intent on just watching the fishes swim in careless fashion.

Hours passed as Kris simply enjoyed the simple thing of watching fishes swim. Although nothing seemed to bother him, he had gotten annoyed at finding a plastic wraper from one of the treats found on the station just lying on a lilypad, so he had cleaned it up. It had broken the serenity of the pond and was just unhealthy in general for the environment those fishes lived in. After removing the plastic, Kris sat down to meditate. The sound of water and the stillness of the room made it easy to fall into a good meditation. ''This will be wonderful.'' Kris thought before he inadvertantly fell asleep.

do not wake the sleeping Tenno in the fish room, or he will be cranky.

Skype? I suppose that would be alright. Haven't got an account, though, and I honestly have no idea how Skype works. Do I just add your acounts, or something?

So as not to interfere with any established continuity, let's all pretend this happened during a convenient time for it to happen.

In the end, X had gone to customs to look at the disk. He recognized the agent and gave him a frown. Tenno these days. Always getting into trouble. He knew, of course, that someone somewhere must have had good reasons for inducting this one - he was obviously not from a cryopod - and that the Tenno needed all the numbers they could get, but he couldn't help feel troubled by cavalier attitudes of these new recruits. Perhaps I am getting too old.

"Are you sure?" he said, not wasting time.

"N-No, sir. I admit, it might be a mistake, but I've ran through any reasons why the disk would be sent that way."

"Have you now?" X started pacing, arranging his thoughts. "Prank?" It might have been one of Loki's infernal jokes, though X doubted even he had such poor taste.

"Unlikely, sir. It's a rather poor prank if it were - I've run it through data-scanners and found only a video file - and besides, who would do it?" X knew what he meant. Aside from Aequitas' population, Tenno were generally a clear-headed, sober folk who were too practical for such games.

"A message from a friend?"

"Even less likely, sir. No offense, but from what I heard, Ty wasn't a very social person. I doubt he ever came in contact with anyone outside this Clan. Besides, it was unmarked, which would be rather strange if they were a friend."

"And there was only a video file? No included wire transfers or attached objects?"

"None. It's also Tenno-made, which means it wasn't sent by any Grineer or Corpus paymaster."

X stopped his pacing. He didn't really expect it to be a mercenary reward, not after over a year. There was only one thing to do, it seemed.

"Give me the drive and return to your duties."

X sat in Tyranthius' old chambers, feeling very odd. He had decided that it was only fitting to watch it here - it had been sent to this room, after all. The drive sat on Tyranthius' old longtable, still cluttered with spare parts and schematics in paper, holograms, and other media. One blueprint was entitled Spudinator Mk. III.

It had been over a year. He had gone to a mission in the Void, and when he came back he was changed. He was more subdued, more solemn than usual. He had also lost his Ethers somehow, though he never said how or why? He'd replaced them with Ichors, but once X had seen him carrying a reflective, multibladed dagger. He had also become interested in Orokin technology, going into long abandoned Towers, unsound Derelicts, and anything Orokin he could get the Keys to. He never seemed to bring back weapon parts and Modules that much, though. He brought back drives, books, honest-to-goodness scrolls.

And one day, he had gone to an uncharted part of the Void. He had never come back.

His chambers were untouched, despite all that time. No one had the heart to make any changes. It almost felt like cutting a part of the Dojo's heart. And, of course, there were traps and defense systems that Tyranthius must never have gotten around to disabling. Most of his weapons were still in there, and one Initiate thought to take one. He would later be seen to be at the Infirmary, requesting the reattachment of a rather sensitive appendage, which he was carrying in a cloth filled with ice.

Yet, when X entered, carrying the drive, he heard a hum that sounded to him like the last breath of an ancient. His suspicions deepened on who had sent the drive, especially when he found that all the defense systems had been shut down.

More soon.

o.O 

Things just got interesting.

To avoid double posting, this story part is going in here.

A bit of prewarning. This is designed to mostly end the Kris and Sophia storyline, something I have been meaning to do for a while, but never got round to. This can be its end, or it can go a little further. That decision, I am leaving up to FatViking. Vik, it is in your hands, continue or not as you please

With out further ado...

Breaking Bonds

Sophia crept through the Dojo, avoiding everyone she could. She was in her warframe, her weapons on her back and hip. She had had enough of being prodded and poked by the doctors. She needed to get out, despite not having competed all the psych evaluations. She wasn’t supposed to be leaving. Her ship was waiting nearby, from where she would go to a quiet place, and meditate. She needed time to think. But there was one thing she had to do first.

She found a quite storage room. Slipping inside, she locked the door, and placed the small package she had been carrying on a crate, so that it was level with her face. She pressed a button, and the shutter on the camera slid back, revealing the lens.

She pressed record, waited a few seconds, then began to speak.

“Kris, I have been meaning to talk to you for a while about… about the two of us. The weeks before I was captured were some of the best of my life, but after what has happened…” Sophia swallowed hard, and had to force out the next words. “I feel as if I have forced my feelings on you with no regard for your own. I have been selfish.” She looked away from the camera. “But there is something that you should know. The only reason they did not kill me or torture me wa… was because I was pregnant.” Sophia felt tears on her cheeks. “It was our child Kris. That first night-” the words were choked off by a sob.

She shook her head, collecting her thoughts. “There is more to it Kris. I’ve seen some of the records of the scans they took of my warframe. I think….”She looked back at the camera, and the words came in a sudden rush, “I think I might have killed the child. The amount of power running through the systems meant it damaged my body. It might have-” she stopped, tears pouring down her face. It took her several seconds before she could trust herself to speak. “I doubt you will want to see me after you see this. Especially after what happened with your wife before the collapse.  By the time you watch this, I will be long gone from the dojo. If… if for whatever reason, whether it be forgiveness or revenge, you want to find me, tell Kylar I have gone to the Fairy Tree. He will know where it is.”

Sophia reached forward and stopped the recording. She transferred to the file from the camera to a data stick, and left the camera where it was. Someone would find it later. She concentrated a moment to locate Kris, and when she found him, she began to head towards where he was, still avoiding other Tenno. She slowed when she reached the door to the pond room. Creeping in quietly, she found him asleep. She placed the memory stick where he would see it when he woke, before creeping out again. At the door, she stopped and turned. Kris looked so peaceful, sleeping, with an air of calm she had never sensed in him before.

“Goodbye Kris,” she whispered, “find a better life than one with me.” Then she went to the hanger, got into her snub, and flew out to where her frigate waited, cloaked, beyond the range of the dojo’s sensors. The frigate was soon winging its way towards Earth, to a place called Martinsell hill.

Edited by Spikey844

Hey guys. I've been more or less offline for the past week and a half because of irl events and stuff.... none good, so I will not specify them and bring down the mood.

Anyhows, in order to lighten my 'return-ish....' a bit, I shall be working on something. It shall be fun, it shall be thrilling, it shall be kinky, it shall not be canon-breaking, it shall be the idea Viking may or may not have mentioned in skype (as I talk to him irl in order to get creative-fluids flowing), but it will not come yet, just the promise of it being impending.... some time tomorrow or something. XD