Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Archive] Of Ash And Fire - Original Thread

SirNerdsAlot5

Bej, i am so amazingly angry at you right now.

Within the span of several paragraphs you got me into a pair of star-cross lovers, and I could almost feel the twitterpated happiness flowing between them.

Then you took another man's jealousy and ended that beautiful thing, damn near got me to yell aloud about it too.

within a span of a few minutes i went from happy to elated, then paranoia, fear, anger, hate, and vengence swiftly followed. What George Martin does with several chapters in a Game of Thrones book, you manged to do in two short stories.

Because of this, I hate you. You hit something that managed to drive its way into my emotions. You got me to React and Feel, at a very high magnatude. I have to put on some metal to finish out my shift here at work.

Out-*&%^ing-Standing Work.

REALLY DO hope this is the first of many more entries you write here on the Warforums

Wow. First piece of colossal feedback! Thanks a lot man! Glad you liked it. Also...this is my return to the Warforums. I've been writing here on this thread since November XD

@Mando: No worries man. Life's more important.

@Spikey: Mega feels are my specialty :D

Do you mind if I have someone drop in on the fight? On of my characters is a Zephyr who is currently on Earth.

Or would that be dive bomb in?

pun intended? :D?

Send me a Warforum message with the general idea of what your character will be doing and what liberties you'd be taking with Rachim in conversation (if at all)

Once again, thanks a lot for the great feedback everyone! I've been super pumped ever since last night. Screw antidepressants lol.

This weekend = four a lot of chapters hopefully.

wow, thats a lot of writting to be done. Ill hold ya to it :p

I've been having some writer's block lately, and to be honest, I think ensign is better than me at action scenes anyway. Someone else is free to step in and take over for me if they want.

I could... but I haven't written anything with X since you helped me introduce Acantha... regardless, stop putting yourself down frosty, I MISS YOUR WRITING! It's very good! Moar! D:

I can definitely get Acantha there though, (or Peregrine, but I think having Acantha and Qarin there will lend some nice banter), and then I can go from there. I guess technically I could get BOTH Acantha and Peregrine there... Peri IS already on Earth as of my last post... that could be interesting.... *strokes non-existent beard thoughtfully*

Edited by Jeahanne

I've been having some writer's block lately, and to be honest, I think ensign is better than me at action scenes anyway. Someone else is free to step in and take over for me if they want.

Im not that good, i just kind of let my imagination out of the box i keep it in. And the little sugar-crazed kid runs wild a bit. I really would like to see more of your writting

I could... but I haven't written anything with X since you helped me introduce Acantha... regardless, stop putting yourself down frosty, I MISS YOUR WRITING! It's very good! Moar! D:

I can definitely get Acantha there though, (or Peregrine, but I think having Acantha and Qarin there will lend some nice banter), and then I can go from there. I guess technically I could get BOTH Acantha and Peregrine there... Peri IS already on Earth as of my last post... that could be interesting.... *strokes non-existent beard thoughtfully*

*beard-stroking intensifies*

I eagerly await new developments, its nice to have happenings here during the daily grind

Acantha wandered the halls of Aequitas dojo, her weapons and warframe newly repaired and gleaming, trying to think up something to do. Her steps were next to noiseless on the polished floor, and her mind was equally silent.

“What do you think Qarin? More training?” she idly commented to the Djinn sentinel keeping pace with her just behind her left shoulder.

“Your percentage of error is acceptably low in sharp shooting, melee, and other forms of combat, and my skills need no practice.” He commented magnanimously.

“That’s not the point. I don’t care if you do say that it’s probabilistically impossible for a non-mechanical being to achieve perfection, it’s the journey to get there that’s the important thing.” She sighed.

The Djinn cocked it’s “head” from one side to another as it thought, “It still seems highly wasteful to spend energy on a futile exercise. If you insist on practice, may I suggest a mission? At least then your expenditure of energy would have more benefit.”

She shot a look at the sentinel, “Why do I get the impression you already have one in mind?” Her voice gave away the exasperation and mirth that her helmet hid; Qarin truly never did change, he had a plan for every scenario and was good at tweaking situations to his advantage, especially when his mistress was involved.

The Djinn tried for an air of utter innocence and failed miserably. “I do not know why you would suggest such a ridiculous notion.”

The Nova just laughed, “Tell me, what have you found for us then?”

“A raid on a Grineer installation on Earth; a distraction has been requested and a clan member by the name of ‘Excalibur’ has already dispatched to lend assistance. It seems a somewhat challenging and suitably diverting event. It seems perfect for our intentions, does it not?”

Acantha raised an eyebrow as she grinned a predator’s smile under her helmet, toying with the end of one of her Dread’s arrows. “That it does, and X is there as well. I haven’t seen him in quite awhile. Shall we go? It’s rude to leave people waiting.”

The snub flew over what was already a well established fight, with X up to his neck in Grineer troops that he was dispatching handily. She couldn’t see the Tenno who was tasked with stealing the requested information, but that didn’t surprise her. Her information said he was a Loki, and his job wasn’t to be seen; hers was.

“Ready to have some fun, Qarin?” She asked the Djinn as she did a final weapon’s and systems check. Everything was in order, from the Despair Kunai at her hips to the Orthos, gleaming with a deadly sheen at her back, and the Dread bow that was strung, arrow already nocked, in her hands, ready to sing death at the troops below her.

“Yes Mistress. Shall we set down at this ledge?”

She glanced at the position he’d marked on the map. “No, that’s too far. We need to be seen to draw more attention. Set us down there.” She indicated a ledge closer to the fighting where the Grineer had installed some emplacements of large machine guns, now empty, that provided a perfect vantage point of the fighting. Several seconds later, she was falling from the belly of the snub, landing gracefully at her chosen position.

Drawing back the string, her Dread sang as she released an arrow which found its mark in the unarmored throat of a Grineer Heavy Gunner. The arrow tore through flesh, bone, and tendon alike as if it were rice paper, cleaving her head off entirely before burying itself in the floor and pinning another foe’s foot to the ground. Qarin’s Stinger rifle was firing at her side, keeping any Grineer troops who tried to flank her position at bay, as her Null Star charges shot past him to end still more degenerate’s existences as more and more soldiers became aware of their arrival.

“My apologies for our tardiness,” she said over the comms, nocking another arrow before letting it whirr off into the melee below her, “Someone called for a distraction?”

Edited by Jeahanne

Up the stairs I went, unsure of what I would find. My Latos out and scanning the stairwell as i ascended, I came to a huge bay door adjoining this and the opposite stairwell.

I cloaked and hit the open button, whatever was on the other side shouldn't be too much to handle.

A hailstorm of bullets immediately filled the empty space that the door occupied, the occasional rocket impacting against the wall.
The wall was originally an actual wall, now appeared to be the backdrop for a firing range.

I remained cloaked and walked away from the open button, whatever was on the other side shouldn't need to be bothered with my presence.

I quietly weighed my options, my mission objective was likely on the other side of that room, whatever distraction was sufficient to divert the majority of complex personnel must have caused pre-designated assault teams to fall back to this location.

Perfect. Grineer that think. That is the last thing i need to deal with today.

“My apologies for our tardiness, Someone called for a distraction?”

I slipped further away from the door and keyed my communicator on. "This is", Loki Unit? Tenno Loki? Bah, screw protocol "Operative Rachim, I'm caught downrange of a few assault teams up top of the main complex. Seems grineer figured out the secret to flash-cloning brain matter. I believe they have fallen back to guard my obje-"

"TENNO SKOOM!" Boomed a loudspeaker in the stairwell. Dang it, he found the 'On' button. "YOU WILL NOT DENY ME MY VICTORY! I WILL PRESENT YOUR BODY TO THE COUNCILOR ALONG WITH MY PRIZE! SURRENDER AND I WILL MAKE YOUR DEATH SWIFT!".

"..." 

At least he didn't monologue about Grineer Dominance being inevitable, I hate it when they do that.

I rekeyed my communicator to relay my newfound information "I now think there is a pretty good chance that the assault squads are guarding my objective. They have superior numbers of bullets and a decent position, got any ideas? Loki frames arent known for their bullet soaking ability".

Mission timer was quickly ticking towards 20 minutes, its not likely ill be able to make a find before then. Not enough time or bullets to snipe from my position, and barely any energy to circumvent this area. Enough for a Radial disarm... but getting within range means I'm within range. And that's bad, very bad. Getting shot with too many guns bad. I holstered my Latos and waited for contact. Likely I'll need to double back and approach from outside the facility, but that leaves me open to hellion assault.

Doubling back to a Hellion refeuling room would likely be my best bet. I get energy and i can consider a different tactical approach to my current roadblock.

Shame I didn't have any demolitions to play with, i figure an explosion on the outer wall of that top room would be sufficient to get out of here.

Edited by ensignvidiot

Okay, I'm about to pass out. bbut before I do, im going to format my story and post it here. gimmie a sec. 

edit: Formatting, breaking into paragraphs, same thing. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere we go

Heus forced his labored breathing to slow as he crawled through the congested grate. He sighted his focus on three hulking behemoths among Grineer. A familiar rage burned inside him whenever he confronted his foes. As he felt the rage rise, he berated himself. 
A Frost is supposed to be refined and controlled. I’m treating this frame like a damn tank. 
He stared down at the Grustrag Three, subduing his anger, trying to attain focus. Sensing his moment, he leapt out of the gate. He landed in the center of the trio, slowly drawing his Gram. 
After a moment’s hesitation, the platform exploded into chaos. Heus felt the thrill of battle course through his veins. 

He saw Leekter’s Hammer coming before he heard the taunt spitting out from his foul mouth. Heus deflected the hammer to the ground, lowering the Grineer to eye-level, where he was greeted with a haymaker from the aggressive Tenno. As the Grineer reeled back, Heus turned to face the other enemies. The massive Frost barreled towards the one named Shiik Tal with his Gram raised in the air. When he closed the distance, Vem Tabook pounded his side with a shell from the Hek, causing Heus to check his assault. Again Heus was reminded of his lessons. Every time he engaged an enemy, the less control Heus maintained over himself. He once was moral and just, but ever since the death of his beloved mentor, Heus turned into a raging berserker.

Freezing his assailant in place, Heus struggled to maintain his footing as he barely rolled in time to avoid a round from the Marelok. Feeling himself lose control again, Heus ran along the wall to smite Shiik down like the scum he was. Before his blow landed home, Leekter swatted him out of the hair with his hammer, slamming the Tenno into a wall and shattering vital components in his warframe. Heus felt ribs crack as the Grineer followed up with a massive overhead blow to the chest. 

Heus caught the next swing and muscled it up back towards his assailant, inch by inch. When he had gained enough room to maneuver, he flung the hammer back in the face of his enemy. Seizing the moment, Heus ran his Gram through Leekter, feeling the sickening crunch of his augmentations integrated within his flesh giving way. Heus turned his attention to the others. As he rolled out of the way of another shell, another round from the Marelok hit him directly in the helmet. Knocked down and momentarily stunned, Heus felt where the bullet struck. 

He was suprised to feel his own flesh and blood. Heus looked to the contraption across from him and saw left half of his Frost helmet. The sight enraged him past the breaking point. Slowly standing up, Heus let out a feral roar. He ran at the enemies yet again, heedless of their concentrated fire. The Hek pumped round after round into the Tenno, yet it would not stop. Heus grabbed the gun from Vem, turned hit around and bashed in his skull with his own weapon. He turned around and recieved yet another Marelok round piercing his sternum. Seeing as charging ahead at Shiik Tal would get him nowhere, Heus decided on another plan of action. Heus threw his Gram at the Grineer. It nailed Shiik Tal to the wall behind him, the Marelok batted away from the impact of the blow. As Heus approached, Shiik smiled wickedly at the Tenno. In a quick flourish, Shiik pulled the Gram from his body and impaled Heus with it. 

All of his rage had ebbed, like the eye of a storm. It was wrong. This was his own weapon, his own companion. To be wounded by such a staunch ally was fundamentally wrong. Pulling himself further into the sword, hand by hand he kept pulling across the blade until their faces were mere inches apart. Heus placed the heels of his hands on either temple of Shiik’s skull. In another vicious battle cry, the Frost squeezed and kept squeezing, drowning out the roar of the dying Grustrag until he felt a wet crunch.

As the Grineer fell, Heus felt himself go to his knees. The parts that were left of his helmet were giving fatal readings. His lungs were pierced, his ribs were caving in on themselves, and his hip joints were dislocated. He looked back to the remnants of his helmet and saw a trail of other bits that were chipped off by the shotgun blasts.  Before he lost consciousness Heus sent a quick distress signal to whatever Tenno may be in the area. 

As Heus came to, he saw a nurse frantically running up to him. 

“Wha-”

“You almost died, that’s what happened. Your ribs were caved in, both of your lungs were pierced, your vertebrae dislocated in most places, you-”

Heus waved a weary hand.

“I get it. I”m lucky to be alive blah blah blah. What of my warframe?”

The nurse regretablly looked away, noticeably avoiding eye contact with the massive Tenno. 

“Unfortunately…. it was damaged beyond repair.”

The words hit Heus harder than a hammer. Still recovering from the shock, he barely managed to utter even one word. 

“What.”

“Well, we do  have some good news.”

“What would that be?”

“Come with me.” 

Fortunately, with the help of two other Tenno on the medical staff, Heus was able to limp his way to the Foundry. He put his hand to the glass, hardly believing what lay on the other side. Polished to perfection and assembled with clearly the finest craftsmanship, lay a navy-blue Rhino. 
Edited by Ajkrumen