Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soma Prime

jol6

Question

Hey there tennos,

Recently I got myself Soma Prime, a beast of a weapon, as I got tired of Nullifiers and constant aiming with Dread... While everything is smooth, I encountered a problem with 60+ levels. Sometimes it takes over 30 bullets to take them down. I searched internet for good builds, and generally all were similar or same to mine. Would there be any specific recommendation from you guys, rip the high tiers?

16 answers to this question

bladed rounds and elemental damage most crit weapons have like copy past level of meta builds at this point :P  and they should scale well into the 100's also bring cp for armor stripping if you're going against higher leveled enemy's armor will shut you down hard also watch out for ancients and their buff   

Edited by MrFoxAos

36 minutes ago, jol6 said:

Hey there tennos,

Recently I got myself Soma Prime, a beast of a weapon, as I got tired of Nullifiers and constant aiming with Dread... While everything is smooth, I encountered a problem with 60+ levels. Sometimes it takes over 30 bullets to take them down. I searched internet for good builds, and generally all were similar or same to mine. Would there be any specific recommendation from you guys, rip the high tiers?

1. Don't overdo it with crits. I have seen people that use up to 6 critical mods, lmao. You will need a perfect balance between high crits and high base damage to achieve the maximum damage.

2. Always switch your elementals for different factions. For example, Corrosive does 7 times more damage against Infested Ancients than Radiation does.

3. Always try to hit the head or weak spots. That is 4x more damage than normal.

Sorry this is just a pet peeve of mine...

23 minutes ago, Kyryo said:

Tigris prime

C'mon man... No one asked about tigris prime, just like no one asked about nidus in the thread specifically about vauban's tesla grenades sticking to pets. There's a time and a place to suggest alternatives, but repeated unsolicited "why use this, when you can use that" gets stale after a while.

/end rant

Edited by rapt0rman

Honestly there is only so much you can do with a build after a certain point.  After that it depends on your frame as well.  Banshee, Rhino, Nova, Ivara all have abilities that increase damage, just to name a few.

Unless you use Synoid Simulor, which kills anything, any level, any time, anywhere regardless of resistances or elemental damage used, but I digress.

Once you get past level 60 it will start taking a hellacious amount of bullets to kill the big guys.  Even though Soma is a slash weapon and slash procs bypass armor, soma also has extremely low base damage which hurts its DoT, low status chance, and it must contend with choosing between 3 other damage types besides slash, which isn't always going to be in your favor.

Pretty much what has been said: don't go overboard with crits, dont forget elemental weaknesses and resistances of all factions, corrosive projection to lower armor on grineer and corrupted, go for headshots and a specific spot on moas to maximize on damage  with the crit multiplier,  and optionally use warframes that buff damage (ex: rhino's roar and areas highlighted by banshee's sonar)

3 hours ago, Nurmetya said:

Like all Crit based weapons you need to aim for the head; that's where the pudding is!

Doctor Who reference?! if so +1!

Ok so besides that, it's about level 60 where you're going to start seeing armor really becoming a factor (or about level 40 in the Void). 

So if you're fighting Grineer or Corrupted there's a chance this is a factor in the weapon seeming to fall off.

In that case you're going to want to remove that armor which means using Corrosive damage or if you're in a group having all 4 of you use the Corrosive Projection aura. It'll make a huge difference.

Either way, it seems like just maybe the slow growing new meta is the "Crit/Status weapon" and Soma Prime fits right into that concept. 

if you want to check it out, here's a couple of ways to go about it.

IF you have all 4 60/60 elemental status mods that's a good start since they have a low capacity cost and are easy to swap around to change up the elemental combos.

For a long time I treated my Soma Prime as a Crt/Damage weapon and did "ok" but I have to say that I am enjoying a more Crit/status build more myself these days.

I'll link the "60/60" build on WF-builder and then post a screen cap of the one I'm actually using below too.

Spoiler

Soma Prime build on Warframe builder

So a few things about this one.

The Rate of Fire is so high you could replace one of the elemental mods with Shred if you wanted some punch-through and the status should still be pretty effective.

Or Argon Scope if you have it and want to emphasize Crits and headshots even more. 

Shred would require 1 forma.

Also, I didn't max out Serration as it's a little costly to take it over Rank 8 and at r8 it fits the build with no forma. If you have a maxed out Serration you'd need 1 forma to use it too. Good news is that if you want to swap Shred in and out 1 forma on Serration would still have you covered.

You can also totally use Heavy Caliber there in place of one of the elemental mods if you don't mind the loss in Accuracy, but that would also require a(n additional) forma.

Spoiler

(and since it seems some people are easily triggered and opinions vary let me slap a disclaimer on this:
 I am not saying "this is the one and only best build" just that this is the build I am using and so far it's worked out well for me. =p)

Also of note here is that there's a kind of funny ''thing" as a result of how I had forma-ed it when I was running Crit/Damage rather than Crit/Status.
- which is why the polarity on the top left of Config C is red and I am using Metal Auger and Heavy Caliber on Config B instead of Shred and - damage mod.

A2E9EED42EB056C1C973624B2E92AFDF6A479BCA (1680×1050)

BC260F61539C164A15BBAB96B43C659BFA403F03 (1680×1050)

Also, you might notice I have a Soma Riven mod not being used in the builds. I actually do use it but I swapped it out here since all Rivens are different and I actually don't even use it on Config b anyhow. It the Disposition wasn't Faint I probably would change things up there and use it but the end result wouldn't probably be any better than things are there already, just a bit different. ;-)

Ok so anyhow, again these are the builds I am currently using on my Soma Prime and so far they've worked really well for me.

I actually don't really use it very much and use my Braton Prime instead, because How Often do I really even need that much firepower?! heh.

Cheers!
~R~

Edited by Rolunde
stuff; p.s. ignore those seemingly random numbers in the spoiler boxes. Not sure where they came from and I can't seem to edit them out. =p

People already gave you the best alternatives. Be aware that as the enemies levels go up, you will see a damage fall off against armored targets. At some point having ways to bypass armor or reduce it will be more important than the damage itself. 

This is not Soma´s fault ( it is extremely good), it is just how enemies scale in this game.

On 10/1/2017 at 9:20 PM, rapt0rman said:

Sorry this is just a pet peeve of mine...

C'mon man... No one asked about tigris prime, just like no one asked about nidus in the thread specifically about vauban's tesla grenades sticking to pets. There's a time and a place to suggest alternatives, but repeated unsolicited "why use this, when you can use that" gets stale after a while.

/end rant

I'm just giving other option, soma prime can do nothing against enemies over 200, especially on eximuses, when you compare it with a tigris prime or a tonkor, and i go around with a Synapse so it's not like i'm just fanboying, i too like other weapons, but when we talk about real content, where you need real weapons you must follow the meta or be carried by the team most of the time.

9 minutes ago, Kyryo said:

I'm just giving other option, soma prime can do nothing against enemies over 200, especially on eximuses, when you compare it with a tigris prime or a tonkor, and i go around with a Synapse so it's not like i'm just fanboying, i too like other weapons, but when we talk about real content, where you need real weapons you must follow the meta or be carried by the team most of the time.

Who cares? He didn't ask about Tigris Prime or meta weapons. He wants advice on how to scale better in high levels WITH HIS SOMA PRIME! Meta isn't everything you know.

Edited by (PS4)joshw1400

Just now, (PS4)joshw1400 said:

Who care? He didn't ask about Tigris Prime or meta weapons. He wants advice on how to scale better in high levels WITH HIS SOMA PRIME! Meta isn't everything you know.

then the answer will be a plain and simple "You can't". is that better?