Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sortie missions are too easy, boring, and rewards are trifling

DEATHLOK

I once complained when Sorties seemed to have been turned up to 11, when I would join squads that would be wiped out several times in a row before one squad got lucky with fewer enemy spawns and survived through to the end of a mission.

But now I miss having that level of challenge.

Lately, Sorties are boring as hell. Sorties were the one thing I looked forward to every day, but no longer.

I'm finding Sortie missions with very few enemies. I just ran a Survival mission, and for five full minutes, had trouble finding anything to shoot at. Even when enemies finally began to spawn, their numbers were relatively small. That is one thing I've noticed about the game in general: The days of fighting off hordes is long gone. The game went from Serious Sam crowds to Doom 3 hunt and seek. And that is no fun at all. Last night, I played a Defense Sortie mission with so few enemies that squad members were racing each other, trying to get to something they could shoot at.

Today, there was a Rescue mission we were able to rush through. Very few enemies. No one got knocked down even once. Then there was a Mobile Defense with very few enemies. It was boring.

Finally, the rewards appear, and it's the topped with the new low standard of 50,000 credits—although I got a Orokin Catalyst, and did need one. Usually, however, my reward is 50,000 credits and a couple things I don't need.

Maybe the low rewards were designed to fit the low challenge. Maybe enemies were reduced to improve frame rates. I don't know and I don't care.

Every day, I looked forward to the new Sortie mission. In a way, I liked getting steamrolled when in a poorly thought-out squad. I miss the hordes of enemies, the waves of enemies pouring through halls. I miss the neat rewards. I miss missions no one could rush or solo through. Yeah, that's another thing—Sorties are so easy now that I'm seeing one guy rush through Exterminate, Assassinate, Rescue and Sabotage without any backup from the squad, and that should not happen. The only type of Sortie someone should be able to solo is a Spy mission.

The difficult needs to be looked at, and not in a "Let's take away life support so they can't play more than 10 minutes" sort of way. Enemies should spawn. I shouldn't have to wait five minutes in a Sortie mission before I have something to shoot at. And 50,000 credits makes me wonder why I even bother.

Please take another look at the difficulty and rewards for Sortie missions.

The only thing changed in sorties is the amount of time the endless missions have in them.

Either you had a bad roll of luck, with low enemies, or you're just getting better at handling them. They're just as difficult as they always have been. For reference, my runs today had so many enemies that we were getting legitimately frustrated by the amount of Corpus Techs sniping us from across the rooms.

Maybe try non-boring frames for sortie cheesing...? Sure, nobody likes to fail a mission, but at the point that I am (MR23, bored as hell), why not try to do some fun stuff like $&*&*#(%& builds on weapons and taking all Hydroid to a defense? Make your own fun, DE can't regulate the game to please 100% of the players. Perhaps you should use a fastva on a defense (not infested) or something else silly with some friends. (Not pubs, that's a bad idea unless you want to mess around a troll)

7 minutes ago, DEATHLOK said:

Yeah, OK—maybe I'm missing something. But if I'm not getting my butt kicked soon, something is wrong. I'm not some amazing, energy-drink swigging twitch monkey.

You're not missing anything. You're having confirmation bias.

You have a few easy runs of something and you then assume all runs will be that way. Or vice versa for bad runs. I can tell you, as someone who has only skipped a few of the sorties since they've come out (and those mostly being sets of 3 endless types back when they were longer), I've had a few weeks straight of easy missions, then had a few weeks straight of missions of the same type completely wrecking my crap.

3 hours ago, Chipputer said:

The only thing changed in sorties is the amount of time the endless missions have in them.

Either you had a bad roll of luck, with low enemies, or you're just getting better at handling them. They're just as difficult as they always have been. For reference, my runs today had so many enemies that we were getting legitimately frustrated by the amount of Corpus Techs sniping us from across the rooms.

No, they also increased the chances for non-endless missions to spawn. That's why we're drowning in Sabotages/Rescues/Mob Def now.

@OP : yes the spawns have issues but I believe that's a generic problem. We did an Axi survival and we had a hard time finding enemies. Until we found out they were all stuck in one corridor trying to find the way to us. I think that with the high number of recent stealth changes, they struggle to know what to do against Naramons, Lokis, Ivaras...

Oh, just wait for that delicious Corpus Lua Survival to pop up again. You'll want to scream as even Inaros is shredded to pieces by angry Techs holding nuke-Supras and protected by a cobweb of Shield Ospreys and Nullifier Crewmen, all while Sapping Ospreys block all avenue of escape.

That said, I'm in partial agreement. They need to try and normalize the difficulty across the board. Right now it's either hilariously easy, or ridiculously over-the-top hard.

5 hours ago, Mattoropael said:

Oh, just wait for that delicious Corpus Lua Survival to pop up again. You'll want to scream as even Inaros is shredded to pieces by angry Techs holding nuke-Supras and protected by a cobweb of Shield Ospreys and Nullifier Crewmen, all while Sapping Ospreys block all avenue of escape.

That said, I'm in partial agreement. They need to try and normalize the difficulty across the board. Right now it's either hilariously easy, or ridiculously over-the-top hard.

I remember one of those sorties.  They were elementally enhanced in which their toxic proc was one-shotting my Frost Prime.  Yeah, my PUG team and I ragequit on that one.